5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by maddog14
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What will happen to pin prices?”

• Prices will go down 63 votes
      36%
    • Prices will stay the same 65 votes
      37%
    • Prices will go down 49 votes
      28%

(177 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

matchbox_car_3_2.jpg
    mump_0903_04_z+2006_ford_mustang_gt+stock_engine.jpg
    6cyl2.jpg
    Mad179printid.jpg

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm sure my kids will probably trade you my pins for whatever is the next XBOX or other popular gadget.

Hell I'll trade that right now. Don't know when the last time I turned on that little box was.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

I think prices have jumped in the last year alone.

This should read:

"I think NIB prices have jumped the shark in the last year alone".

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

The only objective evidence, which is based on subjective opinions indicates otherwise, my friend.

Almost 3 times as many FT would actually be good evidence that FT was the far superior title back in the day.

The fact that FT cost a similar amount as TS now, despite the much higher supply would also favor the fact that FT is athe better game.

That is the most objective evidence you will get if you are looking for it.

The only opinon that really matters is mine

#54 5 years ago

Yes they will....next question

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Since you're new, you've got the "I want it now" bug. That's what drove prices up. Lots of new collectors wanting more games now

Yeah, I guess I am in this boat too - and perhaps part of the problem

Though I am not a collector I do what to grab a couple of pins for a game room. First time pin owner. And being new I just assumed all the NIB/"A list" games are 6 to 8K. In fact, I am more trying to determine WHICH games I want to buy (HOBBIT, WOZ, TRON, etc), and not how much they cost. I am not going to blindly pay top dollar. I will do diligence price checks. But if a pin is 8K market I will pay 8K.

Not that it matters, but I am 42 (so not so young anymore)

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

i don't think prices have come down. I do think buyers desire to pay those prices has though.
    I think buyers are winning the waiting game.

So much this.

I think prices are going to stabilize. There will always be up and downs with pricing on games, but the best way to get prices down is for buyers to refuse to pay the high prices. People who want or need to move games for cash will have to adjust to the buyers eventually.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I've only been playing and buying pinball machines for a few months now and the prices seem very high. I've read that prices were a lot cheaper a few years ago. Does anyone think that prices will go back down or are the high prices here to stay and go higher?

One major reason prices have climbed on used machines is that used games for sale today are on average in MUCH better condition than they were 10 or 15 years ago. Used to be, machines for sale were mostly fresh off route, badly worn, dirty, in need of repairs. Now, the majority are being sold by collectors who have put tons of effort into cleaning, repairing, replacing parts, restoring, etc.

So yeah a Funhouse may cost more money now than it did 10 years ago, but most likely that Funhouse is far nicer than the one for sale 10 years ago, as well.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Almost 3 times as many FT would actually be good evidence that FT was the far superior title back in the day.
    The fact that FT cost a similar amount as TS now, despite the much higher supply would also favor the fact that FT is athe better game.
    That is the most objective evidence you will get if you are looking for it.

If that is what the market will bear at the time, then I can see that. Thing is I am seeing these games sit. Another example is the 2200 T2 in the for sale section right now. If people are paying that more power to the seller. It is a fun game, but shallow as all get out. I had a bear of a time getting 1200 for mine a few years ago. At 2200 there are way way too many games that are more entertaining in that price bracket.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Will prices ever come down, Sure, when our generation starts to dwindle. How many of us have kids that could care less about playing pinball. It's all about computer and Iphones. The days of $1000 STTNG and TOM will return, but we'll be long gone. Until then we have pay to play. Born in 1963..

The thing is your not taking into account the rarity of these games. As time continues on, less and less will be available, especially in good condition. ( at least the pre 2000 pins ) There will always be a market for certain titles, even to non pinheads, just collectors in general. Prices dropping, sure I can see it, especially on newer games but to $1000 for a ToM, or STTNG? Not a chance.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

The thing is your not taking into account the rarity of these games. As time continues on, less and less will be available, especially in good condition. ( at least the pre 2000 pins )

due to so many repro parts being available and the pinball machines moving out of arcades and into homes, i'd argue that the number of good condition pre-2000 machines may actually be rising.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

due to so many repro parts being available and the pinball machines moving out of arcades and into homes, i'd argue that the number of good condition pre-2000 machines is actually rising.

As would I but say they made 4000 Elvira's in 1989, how many do you think exist today? Id venture a guess of around 1800. ( Even less in North America? ) So the remaining games will be maintained and repaired and kept in excellent condition. They are much rarer then they once were and in better condition, I don't see that leading towards a huge crash in price.

#62 5 years ago

double post

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

As would I but say they made 4000 Elvira's in 1989, how many do you think exist today? Id venture a guess of around 1800. So the remaining games will be maintained and repaired and kept in excellent condition. They are much rarer then they once were and in better condition, I don't see that leading towards a huge crash in price.

definitely. i mean, there's a huge list of games that will never, ever get remade, if that's someone's main concern about a crash. i think these things are fascinating machines regardless of era or larger trends. i think there's a fairly high floor no matter what happens.

#64 5 years ago

It's an adjustment, not a crash. People have in the past and will in the future continue to pay for quality games in prime condition. The "mushy midsection" of titles are probably the area that will get affected the most and seem to be feeling it already. Everyone knows the so called "a list titles" that shot up like a rocket in years past, but the middle of the road and lower games that rode up high too, are definitely feeling it now. This adjustment is very similar to when I was collecting video game cartridges. The difference between the haves and the have nots will separate considerably over the next few years.

I paid a premium for my nice STTNG this spring and I could care less if the value goes down. I'm not selling it and my son wants it when he has his own house.

We will all know for sure if the adjustment is holding once the holiday season gets closer.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

As would I but say they made 4000 Elvira's in 1989, how many do you think exist today? Id venture a guess of around 1800.

And $1800 is about the magic number - The minimum that folks are asking for player/project condition EATPM machines these days if you see any at all, otherwise they are collector/restored and shoot way up from there.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

From an operator's standpoint, sure. I think the fact that there are only 25% more FT in pinsiders collections despite 3X as many made kinda says something. One could argue ops won't sell them or more of them got played to death or even owners are embarrassed to list them in their collections.

I prefer Shadow by a smidge. I would pay 50% more far a shadow than i would a similar fish tales and that's kinda where the market is. I think high end shadows are closer to 75% more, though.

Enough about that.

#67 5 years ago

Prices have slowly been coming down for 6 to 8 months now. Lots of HUO games available too since so many HUO owners are just making room for some of the new games.
    However, these prices normally start climbing by 100-200 bucks or more for bigger name titles now that "pinball season" is starting again here in the east coast areas where we retreat to our basements when the weather gets cold, and when so many leagues start back up again.

#68 5 years ago

"Ever" is a long time. They will eventually go down but the trade off is the hobby dying.

#69 5 years ago

If manufacturers have never lowered prices before, what makes anyone think they are going to start now?

#70 5 years ago

Idk. Im 27 now and I started collecting pins when I was 16. Ive noticed a big upswinging trend of younger adults getting into the hobby. I know when I was 16 the pin community seemed like it was comprised of a much higher age median.

As for pricing. Its mellowed a bit since last year at this time. Will it ever go to the old prices? Probably not until a whole generation of pinheads pass away. In other words. I feel prices are rather stable at the moment with a slight downswing in pricing.

#71 5 years ago

95% of Nib sterns go down after they are opened and settle in on price or go down more after based on code updates and gameplay.
    The best bang for your buck is the B and c titles in the $1000-2200 price point. They have settled in on price and price varies a little based on condition. Some b and c titles may go up for a little than settle down in price.
    A lister B/W's can go up or down with high prices being paid for restored and great condtion pins.
    Remake threat has put a little damper on prices of A list sterns and BW games lately.

One thing to learn is that you can't base the whole pinball market on one segment. Meaning if you open a LE Stern and want to sell it 6 months later at and get handed a $1000 loss, the whole pinball market is not all going way down also.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Prices have slowly been coming down for 6 to 8 months now.

I guess it depends on your location and the games you are looking at. I seen nothing but rising prices. Around Ohio everything is high and climbing as far as used older games go.

Worn out project condition Eight Ball, should be at the absolute most $600. Is listed for $1300:
    cleveland.craigslist.org link

Relisted over and over:
    Maverick $1800

Cyclone $2000

This would be like winning the lottery, and never happens:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-monday-pickup-250-rollergames

No project solids states. Retail priced solid states and high priced "shopped" EMs. Expensive relists. Where can I find a project solid state for $300?

#73 5 years ago

nvm

#74 5 years ago

Reposted from another thread (with new format)...

When I started collecting (before prices really climbed), it seems that more collectors were willing to rotate their titles more freely with the understanding that if they ever wanted that pin again that it would be easy and cheap enough to find another one. Games were cheap and plentiful. Not in the best shape, but if you wanted a certain pin they were out there for a decent price. Even NIB were somewhat affordable.

Economy tanked. When Stern had to increase prices to stay in business it seemed the sky was falling. Collectors started hoarding games thinking *end of pinball times*. Once games were harder to come by, collector started to lock in their 'must haves'. This drought drove up prices even more which in turn tighted collectors grips even more ("I can't let go of my <insert A-title here>, I'll never find another one for <2005 price> again in 2010".) Grail games were restored, increasing their investment.

The economy came back. Pinball came back. Pinball grew in popularity. Seeing prices hadn't retreated, collectors continued to dig in their heels and refused to sell. This created a somewhat false demand in games for the few who wanted certain titles that were sitting idle in many collector's basements. When they did sell, restored games fetch crazy prices. Stern/JJP's prices and 'tiered' selling model start to reflect the new pin economy. HUO game prices followed. Some LE's become unobtainium further justifying Stern's tiered model strategy. Collectors started customizing on a grand scale, pouring money into game cosmetics. Secondary market prices went up further.

Boutique and remakes see opportunity - some collectors start to 'cash out' with talk of bubble. Prices on some hot titles plateau for first time. Stern contiues to 'push' titles into market, code unfinished/unpolished. Many LE's NIB sit unsold. Market is saturated. Stern/JJP/Boutiques respond by giving collectors what they want - title, designer, features ... even re-running previous titles. Collectors respond by starting to rotate their titles more freely wanting the latest/greatest. HUO games drop slightly in price as result. That brings us to today.

Just a quick take/observation. Feel free to edit.

#75 5 years ago

I remember when Mad magazine lowered it's price.

Mad179printid.jpg

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I remember when Mad magazine lowered it's price.
    Mad179printid.jpg 63 KB

I don't think anyone else on this board does.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

I don't think anyone else on this board does.

You don't think anyone else on this board reads Mad? You crazy!

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from dos_reboot:

Reposted from another thread (with new format)...
    When I started collecting (before prices really climbed), it seems that more collectors were willing to rotate their titles more freely with the understanding that if they ever wanted that pin again that it would be easy and cheap enough to find another one. Games were cheap and plentiful. Not in the best shape, but if you wanted a certain pin they were out there for a decent price. Even NIB were somewhat affordable.
    Economy tanked. When Stern had to increase prices to stay in business it seemed the sky was falling. Collectors started hoarding games thinking *end of pinball times*. Once games were harder to come by, collector started to lock in their 'must haves'. This drought drove up prices even more which in turn tighted collectors grips even more ("I can't let go of my <insert A-title here>, I'll never find another one for <2005 price> again in 2010".) Grail games were restored, increasing their investment.
    The economy came back. Pinball came back. Pinball grew in popularity. Seeing prices hadn't retreated, collectors continued to dig in their heels and refused to sell. This created a somewhat false demand in games for the few who wanted certain titles that were sitting idle in many collector's basements. When they did sell, restored games fetch crazy prices. Stern/JJP's prices and 'tiered' selling model start to reflect the new pin economy. HUO game prices followed. Some LE's become unobtainium further justifying Stern's tiered model strategy. Collectors started customizing on a grand scale, pouring money into game cosmetics. Secondary market prices went up further.
    Boutique and remakes see opportunity - some collectors start to 'cash out' with talk of bubble. Prices on some hot titles plateau for first time. Stern contiues to 'push' titles into market, code unfinished/unpolished. Many LE's NIB sit unsold. Market is saturated. Stern/JJP/Boutiques respond by giving collectors what they want - title, designer, features ... even re-running previous titles. Collectors respond by starting to rotate their titles more freely wanting the latest/greatest. HUO games drop slightly in price as result. That brings us to today.
    Just a quick take/observation. Feel free to edit.

Well said. Example: at the end of last year HUO SM was actually selling for $5700. There has been one around here for awhile now at $5200 and I don't know if it sold yet or not. POTC has come down about $300 too from its $4500. LOTR....I dunno what they are at now, but I sold mine last fall for $5200.
    Note: Some of the earlier examples posted appeared to be prices quoted from a flipper who had probably done some work on the games to bring them up to snuff and make a quick hundred off them (speculation). Prices on those era games will vary widely depending on their condition. The prices I was quoting were for relatively recent HUO games where the prices have been relatively consistant.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You don't think anyone else on this board reads Mad? You crazy!

If this guy starts selling pins I am back in.

#80 5 years ago

Yes, prices will go down. They will go down just like everything else. As we pinball folks die off, the demand will drop. Look at Juke Boxes. Same thing is happening with cars made in the 40's. The demand goes away as we go away. Sad but true.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I guess it depends on your location and the games you are looking at. I seen nothing but rising prices. Around Ohio everything is high and climbing as far as used older games go.
    Worn out project condition Eight Ball, should be at the absolute most $600. Is listed for $1300:
    Relisted over and over:
    Maverick $1800
    Cyclone $2000
    This would be like winning the lottery, and never happens:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-monday-pickup-250-rollergames
    No project solids states. Retail priced solid states and high priced "shopped" EMs. Expensive relists. Where can I find a project solid state for $300?

Listed prices don't mean anything. So there's an overpriced game that keeps getting relisted and isn't selling? Isn't that just proof that the market isn't what these sellers wish it was? The games that sell set the prices, not what people list them for.

I could put my METLE up for sale for $14k, and that wouldn't suddenly double its value.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

Does anyone think that prices will go back down or are the high prices here to stay and go higher?

Yes.

Check Bingos, juke boxes, Model T or A, ...

for now, this is mostly hobby led demand

if the dollar weakens, all bets are off

#83 5 years ago

Prices for recent releases are taking the biggest hits (from their NIB prices). I don't think "B" titles or "C" titles will come down...if anything they will stay where they're at or rise slightly. Also as RobT pointed out in another post NIB prices are at their zenith, the manufacturers have to do something truly novel to sell machines at 8k in large numbers.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Listed prices don't mean anything. So there's an overpriced game that keeps getting relisted and isn't selling? Isn't that just proof that the market isn't what these sellers wish it was? The games that sell set the prices, not what people list them for.
    I could put my METLE up for sale for $14k, and that wouldn't suddenly double its value.

So how can you get these folks to realize what an acceptable offer is? Or is that not possible because a realistic offer appears such a lowball compared to the fantasy price they list at?

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

So how can you get these folks to realize what an acceptable offer is? Or is that not possible because a realistic offer appears such a lowball compared to the fantasy price they list at?

I have decided that a lot of people have things for sale that aren't really for sale. They just want you to know they have it.

For instance there is a game store up the road with a Super Mario Bros Pinball. I have been looking for one forever for my wife so I talked to them about it. They are asking $3700 for it and it is beat to crap. I mean come on. That is not really for sale.

#86 5 years ago
    #87 5 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I saw one on craigslist in Indiana the other day for $1500 in average condition. It sold within hours of being posted. Someone else beat me to it.

I missed it by about 30 minutes. That's the third one I have missed at $1500. Oh well. I'll find one. I have cash in hand for the right one. Looking for a player or semi project. But everyone thinks those are collectors pieces now.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I saw one on craigslist in Indiana the other day for $1500 in average condition. It sold within hours of being posted. Someone else beat me to it.

$1500 for a player, c list game is not a deal.

I feel a lot of people have it wrong - the hunt is not for particular pins, but for good collectors in your area whom you can establish good buying and selling relationships with for years to come.

The best way to buy is make local connections and if someone has a pin you want say "let me know if you ever want to sell that pin".
    A month later the person could be a greedy D bag and price it 20% higher than it is worth and say they "they don't need to sell it or need the money?" (Hate is a strong word, but....) or they could be cool and give you a price based on a local, quick sale, to a person who is not crazy, whom they can trust to show up and pay for it and not have to put it online to have price police bust their bullocks and low ballers wasting their time. Once you find who the non d bags in your area you are good to go with buying for years to come. This also requires you not be a d bag also, as in low balling, complaining about little things after the sale and buying it and putting it on Craigslist the next day at $500 more than you paid.

#89 5 years ago

This is always blown way out of proportion. You all realise that this discussion has been almost monthly dating back to the early 2000s on RGP... right? The bubble is always right around the corner despite year after year machine prices going up on average.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

$1500 for a player, c list game is not a deal.
    I feel a lot of people have it wrong - the hunt is not for particular pins, but for good collectors in your area whom you can establish good buying and selling relationships with for years to come.
    The best way to buy is make local connections and if someone has a pin you want say "let me know if you ever want to sell that pin".
    A month later the person could be a greedy D bag and price it 20% higher than it is worth and say they "they don't need to sell it or need the money?" (Hate is a strong word, but....) or they could be cool and give you a price based on a local, quick sale, to a person who is not crazy, whom they can trust to show up and pay for it and not have to put it online to have price police bust their bullocks and low ballers wasting their time. Once you find who the non d bags in your area you are good to go with buying for years to come. This also requires you not be a d bag also, as in low balling, complaining about little things after the sale and buying it and putting it on Craigslist the next day at $500 more than you paid.

I am with you on finding just quality pins at a good price regardless of title. There are some specifics I am hunting but I refuse to overpay for any of them. I really only want a mario for my wife. It is a subpar pin for the money honestly but she loves it

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I missed it by about 30 minutes. That's the third one I have missed at $1500. Oh well. I'll find one. I have cash in hand for the right one. Looking for a player or semi project. But everyone thinks those are collectors pieces now.

I emailed the guy about it as well. Unshopped, newbie pin owner means it most likely had issues. I was in the middle of passing on it when I was told someone had put 100 dollars down via paypal on it.

Prices go up, because people get stupid and want things immediately. Next time one comes up for sale it will be higher because that one sold for 1500 and it wasn't shopped, etc. Vicious cycle.

Then again, as I said before I see a lot of games sitting. Looking up recent price checks they are in the ball park, but the demand is just not there?

#92 5 years ago

prices will go up on some, down on others. LE prices could go above NIB prices if manufacturers decide to truly make low run, full feature games and then not offer the full featured game in a premium model (TWDL, for example). Cheaper, c & d list games could gain a little as there is no reason to sell some of them at market as they are good filler material. I see a lot of my pinball acquaintances are filling their gamerooms with cheaper games and getting rid of their $4K+ pinball machines.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from changingGears:

Then again, as I said before I see a lot of games sitting. Looking up recent price checks they are in the ball park, but the demand is just not there?

If it's sitting it's not in the ballpark. IMO:

If it sells in hours or less - great deal, superb price.
    If it sells in days - fair, market price.
    If it doesn't sell/sits for weeks or more - overpriced.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

the hunt is not for particular pins, but for good collectors in your area whom you can establish good buying and selling relationships with for years to come.

The problem there is that collectors know the value of games and therefore want to get top dollar. I'm not sure I've ever gotten a great deal by buying from a collector.

#95 5 years ago

Supply and Demand, prices will eventually go up as these machines get older and harder to find.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Supply and Demand, prices will eventually go up as these machines get older and harder to find.

And prices will eventually go down as the people who care about Pins are carted off to care homes and cemetaries.

But you can't take it with you, may as well spend some $$ on a form of art you can interact with, rather than just stare at.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The problem there is that collectors know the value of games and therefore want to get top dollar. I'm not sure I've ever gotten a great deal by buying from a collector.

Yeah, I have gotten some fair deals, but I bought good value B titles, that the collectors took great care of like The Getaway, Stargate and T2. I paid a fair price for a great working gam and they never broke down on me, which is the base of what you hope for when making a good deal.

I did not buy any game where I was trying to pry the pin out of the other collectors.

From what I hear, Canada is a little tricky when it comes to finding pins in the first place though.

#98 5 years ago

These threads always turn into discussions of supply and demand, as they should. I would like to add the idea of NOVELTY.

Entertainment driven mediums like gaming are largely driven by NOVELTY. Something new, something flashy, something different. Remember how the original Nintendo NES was just the coolest thing ever? I played the hell out of mine, but at some point stopped. As cool as it was, I got bored. Then I got into Super Nintendo, and it was the cat's ass! Had the time of my life on that...then I got bored. I wanted something new. That turned into Playstation...Xbox...etc. Always looking for the next cool thing...and eventually putting it down when we get bored.

How many people who have recently come into pinball did so because for them it was new, flashy, and exciting? It is quite the hipster trend now, does anyone think they will still be around in 5 years? How many people does it take to get bored and leave to measurably affect a market? I don't know, but from Craigslist, Ebay, and pinside ads, I can't imagine my home market has more than a couple of pinball transactions per day...and this is Chicago.

With a good market and prices stagnant or rising, it is easy for new people to get into the hobby because they can get back out and not lose money. It sure made it easy for me...I overpaid for my first game and didn't lose money when I sold it. Its not like buying a boat where you lose your ass when you take it off the lot. The bull market has made it attractive to get in.

The NOVELTY of owning pinball is cheap if a buyer does it right. But consumers get bored, and want something new, flashy, different. When prices drop as I am expecting (lots of new machines entering market and I don't think new buyers will keep pace), pinball can become an expensive NOVELTY. Owners who are bored with the hobby or their machine, while also facing dropping prices, will have even more incentive to dump their machines. If there are people in the hobby with the NOVELTY wearing off, or are adverse to taking a loss on a machine, I worry they can affect a declining market significantly.

If I am right, and I may be dead wrong, I am looking at the pinball manufacturers as an indicator for when the market has become over-saturated. Once they start hurting, you know the market is overtaxed with new machines. When that happens, prices in general should start falling to adjust to the excess supply...if they are not falling at that point already.

I don't expect a crash in prices, but likely a downward oscillation.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Yes, prices will go down. They will go down just like everything else. As we pinball folks die off, the demand will drop. Look at Juke Boxes. Same thing is happening with cars made in the 40's. The demand goes away as we go away. Sad but true.

This exact post appeared on RGP about 300 times over the past 15 years. Yet here we are, with games trading at prices that would make the old-schooler CARGPs over there break out into a cold sweat and possibly convulse.

Pinball machines AREN'T jukeboxes, and they certainly aren't cars, so you can throw the cargument out the window.

They are completely different. Classic cars are huge, expensive, and difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value. You aren't going to drive your cherry 1957 Bel Air to New Hampshire to see your folks.

Jukeboxes are large, difficult to maintain, and have very little practical value. An ipod the size of a postage stamp hooked up to a speaker the size of a brick does a far better job on it's intended responsibility with a mere fraction of prize, size, and complexity.

Pinball is completely different as the past 5-10 years have shown. When I started collecting in the early 2000s *I* was a young guy in a hobby of middle-aged white men. And the standard rap at that time was that it's an old, white, upper-middle class hobby and the popularity would deflate faster than a pierced Parton boob as soon as those fogies started dying off. The era of $500 Monster Bashes was right around the corner.

"It'll be JUST LIKE THE JUKEBOX hobby!" they always said.

Well, obviously that was bullshit. Pinball machines are completely different in that there is no other way to practically replicate the experience. Classic cars have a perfect alternative - a new Chevy. Jukeboxes do to - virtually everybody on the planet's phone.

Full-size, commercial, kickass pinball machines have NO viable alternative. Video pinball is Fn lame. "home" pinball machines are terrible.

So as long as people like pinball and think it's cool, this hobby will be fine and the prices won't plummet. There's a completely new generation of people in this hobby - a generation that 10 years ago everyone swore up and down wouldn't exist.

Well, I'm still waiting for my $500 monster bash. Maybe the NEXT 10 years will see it happen, because suddenly nobody will like pinball anymore.

Or, yet another generation of collectors 5 or 10 years down the road will get into it, just like last time.

I'm putting my money on this thing continuing for a while.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Classic cars have a perfect alternative - a new Chevy.

you're obviously not a car guy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    $ 26.95
    € 18.95
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 14.00
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 279.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside