Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

220px-MontySpam (resized).jpg
    7395EF70-F2EC-4DBC-A310-755924926145 (resized).png
    ud2J3IO.gif
    5CEC43F5-6C24-466F-A5A9-19852885A1A1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

Have to keep in mind that we havnt had a recession since games were cheaper economy has just been continuously expanding. With economists predicting recesssion around the corner I would like to think that we are about to see older game prices drop

but why would older game prices go down?

Those are:
    #1 already cheaper games
    if people need money due to a recession then they are selling the most expensive ones and modern ones first
    #2 already very limited and nearly dried up in colelctions
    i.e. supply is limited and deals are largely gone
    #3 they aint making more of them and more people want them.

If a recession happens then the games that will take a beating are everything 5k and greater that is less than 5 years old.
    Supply is high, cost is high, and people will try to sell the easiest thing that they can get rid of the quickest (i.e. newer games)

1 week later
    #126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Most that I talk to are relying on machines to help sell food and beer. With the current cost of machines, they might break even on them after several years, that is, if they aren’t splitting and do their own maintenance and repairs. I’ve been looking into routing and all I hear is, "do it for the community, and do not expect profit." I’ve heard several experienced routers say the same on here. Are some ppl in areas of high pinhead concentration making money? Probably. Is this the norm? Definitely not.

pretty spot on.

Do it for the fun. Keep your games well maintained (plan on it being a good amount of time to do this) and eventually they will be paid off.
    It all depends on location of course.

Pinball brings people in and keeps them at a bar, but it rarely makes money from a business standpoint.

You still are buying 5500+ games, paying sales/use tax for the game, paying local license fees, paying local sales on every quarter that comes in, paying for maintenance and your time, paying for insurance, paying for other business fees, etc...

Even with a great location and a great split, it takes a long time and lots of energy to make something beyond the fun pay off.

The one personal financial benefit I see is the ability to write off pinball business stuff. That is still not worth it financially.

If I were to do it in the future as a real business, I think the best model would be to try and become a distributor for Stern and Spooky and JJP. Then you get distributor pricing for games and can use your bar to also act as a sales floor. You can likely avoid sales/use on the actual machines if they are "floor models" and then you can make some decent money off selling games I would think.

Don't get me wrong, hobby operating is very rewarding for me. However, I enjoy learning and the challenges associated with it.
    The player side benefit for me is that we get to buy games I would NEVER be able to afford or buy personally. It is pretty cool to have a BKSoR right now to explore. I can't readily afford any NIB game, but it is easier to justify for route.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-pinball-prices-come-down-?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.