Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

220px-MontySpam (resized).jpg
    7395EF70-F2EC-4DBC-A310-755924926145 (resized).png
    ud2J3IO.gif
    5CEC43F5-6C24-466F-A5A9-19852885A1A1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The logic is always the same. "There are a lot of games being made and prices are higher than I want them to be."
    And then 3 years later prices and demand are higher.
    THe hoped-for recession likely won't help either. During the last recession prices didn't drop, people just held on to their stuff like the hoarding bastards pinball people are.
    A full-on economic apocalypse is a different story but in that case we'd all have far bigger problems than expanding our pinball collections.

Lower end games are not coming down, but new games are certainly losing a chunk of change after they get released. that wasn't the case in the past. It seems like there are too many games coming out for the market to support long term. In the past you could buy something, play it for a few months and then sell for a slight loss. Now you are looking at 1-2k within 6 months on some games. People who used to burn through new ones are going to end up slowing down. Will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right. But plenty of 30s crowd ARE buying pins.
    Guess what the 20s crowd will be in 10 years?
    They'll be in their 30s and they'll be buying pins. They are playing pinball right now, they just aren't buying.

You are assuming that a large majority of 20 something's have a nostalgia for pinball. They don't. I am 32 and grew up playing pins on location, but they died out while I was growing up. By the time I hit 8th grade location play was gone. It wasn't till I started collecting and you hit the resurgence with barcades did it come back and even then its pretty dependent on the local collector community for location support.

This means that you have a cut off point where the majority of people will not have exposure to pins on a regular basis which in turn will breed less willing new bodies to join in the hobby. You also have older generations aging out of ownership. It will take awhile, but like with all hobbies eventually everyone ages out so no the 20s crowd is not going to be as big as the 30s crowd is or the 40s crowd is simply because the games weren't around.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys need to get out of the house more.
    Plenty of 20s people playing pinball and it has ZERO to do with nostalgia. Pinball is in bars now, that’s the primary location. People in their 20s are at bars.
    In 10 years they’ll be buying games.
    You guys are wrong just like the last 20 years worth of naysayers. Those 20 years of pinball pricing bubble threads are full of comments just like yours.

Pinball is not everywhere. In KC we have a lot of pinball, but that is supported by collectors. Some of them do it out of passion or figured out a way to support their hobby. No one is making a living off it. A good part of the country does not have a heavy amount of places to play outside of collections. So compared to the 90's when you couldn't hit up a pizza joint without there being a couple of games location play is minimal still. This is going to hurt the number of people looking to take up the torch in the coming years.

End of the day games are too maintenance intensive to maintain for ops to make a real go at them. They do it as a favor to a well earning location. They do it because they are hobbyist that want to spread their passion. There are only so many of those instances though and its not going to change unless someone finds a way to massively reduce maintenance and increase reliability.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thast's all well and good but IFPA registrations - players and tournaments - continues to rise significantly every year. Home sales are higher than ever. We get a flood of newbies joining pinside and complaining about high prices and asking about bursting bubbles every single month. I personally have had 4 straight years of increasing home sales...I cannot keep stuff in stock.
    So how do you conjure that with your predictions of potential doom and gloom?
    I keep hearing it but I ain't seeing it.
    Just like 20 years ago.
    Seriously read some of those old posts. They are as amusing as they are familiar.

I didn't say immediately I said long term. You seem to live under the delusion that a fraction of location play compared to 25 years ago is somehow going to breed a never ending supply of fresh blood for the hobby. It has an end. Location play died off mid to late 90's for many so the nostalgia factor won't be there which is what drove a lot of us into this in the first place.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-pinball-prices-come-down-?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.