Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 230 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

220px-MontySpam (resized).jpg
    7395EF70-F2EC-4DBC-A310-755924926145 (resized).png
    ud2J3IO.gif
    5CEC43F5-6C24-466F-A5A9-19852885A1A1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago

Nope. The opposite.

#202 3 years ago

Give it time. Actual wealth and liquid cash takes time to disappear. Prices will come down.

#203 3 years ago

Asking prices continue to be higher than ever. If anything They’ve increased since March.

Where are the bargains dammit?!

#204 3 years ago

I would wager that most pins are in the hands of individuals who are relatively well off, or they wouldn't have a bunch of pins to begin with.

So emergency sell-offs are uncommon.

Plus people are bored sitting at home, which might even increase demand.

#205 3 years ago

As someone who wants to potentially purchase their first pinball but has a limited budget, right now feels like the worst possible time to purchase a machine. I thought it was just me, but it does seem like sellers are gouging pretty bad. Although as long as the demand is there prices will continue to stay sky high, which is unfortunate for newcomers.

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

As someone who wants to potentially purchase their first pinball but has a limited budget, right now feels like the worst possible time to purchase a machine. I thought it was just me, but it does seem like sellers are gouging pretty bad. Although as long as the demand is there prices will continue to stay sky high, which is unfortunate for newcomers.

Never mind the virus, you're about ten years too late!

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Never mind the virus, you're about ten years too late!

Ten years ago I was a pauper and wasn't able to even afford a mini-table let alone a full size one, haha.

#208 3 years ago

Are there more people getting in the hobby or leaving? There is your answer.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Ten years ago I was a pauper and wasn't able to even afford a mini-table let alone a full size one, haha.

Ten years ago I was buying 8 or 10 machines a week some weeks. In the past year I don't think I have bought 5 machines all year. Not because I don't want to buy but because the guys I was buying from have stopped contacting me with stuff for sale. I have been paying more for project machines the past couple years than I was selling the same titles fully shopped & working 100% for seven or eight years ago.

For example I sold three Jungle Lord machines about 7 years ago (all in nice cosmetic condition and fully working) for $700 each (give or take $50). This Spring I was trying to make a deal with a guy on one he had for sale in worse shape than the ones I sold and I couldn't get him down under $1700 for it. By the time I convinced myself to pay his $1700 it was gone. Demand is insanely high right now and so are prices. I really don't see that changing any time soon so my days of buying & selling are pretty much behind me.

You can still score a deal from time to time but nothing like is was even 3 or 4 years ago. I can't even buy "junk" parts machines these days let alone anything worth fixing! And when chime units, Stern & Gottlieb lock bars, and other key parts are bringing over $100 each I fully understand why you can't find anything cheap these days!

Classic Bally & Classic Stern prices have really gotten crazier than anything else from what I have been seeing. Now Classic Williams titles are starting to catch up!

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Financial collapse? Nope.
    COVID 19 global pandemic? Nope.
    All considering, I’m fairly new to this hobby and I can’t believe how resilient it is to these types of things. One could argue, pinball could be a better asset than gold haha

It's because of all the dolls people hot-glue gun to the PFs and PinStadiums getting installed and calling it a "thorough shop job with MASSIVE upgrades",

Can't let go of that quality work on the cheap.

#211 3 years ago

This is just the same response as the stock market. No one truly realizes or wants to realize that we have record unemployment and a massive domino effect will surface after the dust settles. This is 100% going to happen. Yes, some rich guys won't be affected, but 90% of the middle class will be losing wealth because of direct or indirect relationships to covid. Trust me. Prices will come down... on everything, especially luxury items. Even Stern will have trouble surviving this.

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

This is just the same response as the stock market. No one truly realizes or wants to realize that we have record unemployment and a massive domino effect will surface after the dust settles. This is 100% going to happen. Yes, some rich guys won't be affected, but 90% of the middle class will be losing wealth because of direct or indirect relationships to covid. Trust me. Prices will come down... on everything, especially luxury items. Even Stern will have trouble surviving this.

unemployment rate hit 14.5 % today. worst since the great depression which was 25%

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I would never want to make a living selling 6K-12K pinball machines, but especially in this climate.

#214 3 years ago

This topic again... sigh...

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

This topic again... sigh...

Actually this post is over a year old but as I see it, almost all pins are commanding an all time high because of demand.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

unemployment rate hit 14.5 % today. worst since the great depression which was 25%

Wife was laid off 3/30/20 and was brought back this week, girlfriend was let go on 4/10/20 and will be going back next week, so yes, the numbers are staggering, but hopefully just a blip. A BAD blip, but nothing regarding the jobless situation seems permanent...

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Wife was laid off 3/30/20 and was brought back this week, girlfriend was let go on 4/10/20 and will be going back next week.

I hope for your sake that your wife and your girlfriend don't read your posts here on Pinside.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I hope for your sake that your wife and your girlfriend don't read your posts here on Pinside.

You beat me to it! I was gonna say the same thing. And you must be doing pretty good if you can afford a wife and a girlfriend these days

#219 3 years ago

Not one to start threads but this topic would seem to be the most related to the thought, since bars and restaurants are going to be a tough reset, those of you that spot games, are you considering or have you started rentals of games to residences?

#220 3 years ago

I can't believe prices have not even been dented yet. People are much more optimistic about the economy/future jobs than I am, have a lot more coins than I have, or both.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Lol, it's not what you think....

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

I can't believe prices have not even been dented yet. People are much more optimistic about the economy/future jobs than I am, have a lot more coins than I have, or both.

I am super optimistic about the economy. We had the greatest economy in the history of the world so the bones are strong. Everybody is starting to get back to work and soon that unemployment will dip back down. We have a lot of folks in TN still milking that 8 weeks of extra unemployment. As soon as that crap goes away people will have to go back to work.
    (edited)

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Are there more people getting in the hobby or leaving? There is your answer.

Well I am new to the hobby and just bought a machine that was rated horribly and paid 400$ more than pinside averages its worth. My wife and I are having a blast with it, LW3 . People like me that are new are willing to overpay for titles that have been bashed over the years show that prices will continue to rise. High demand low supply. Maybe this will cause people to leave on the other hand, sorry guys.

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am super optimistic about the economy. We had the greatest economy in the history of the world so the bones are strong. Everybody is starting to get back to work and soon that unemployment will dip back down. We have a lot of folks in TN still milking that 8 weeks of extra unemployment. As soon as that crap goes away people will have to go back to work. I feel sorry for people who live in Cali, VA, Illinois, Michigan, and a few other turd states run by turd Governors.

LOL, sorry, but that's just funny. Current U.S. debt is 25 trillion dollars. That's $25000000000000, which translates into $76315 per person or a whopping $202,531 per tax payer. Plus there is currently blow-out spending by the fed. They're talking about a major airline going under, and a huge swath of companies that are moving toward chapter 7. Shipping from China was interrupted, so there will be a massive lag in manufacturing. Old people can't get out to spend their retirement dollars. Tourism is set to be in the toilet for at least a year. Do tell where this optimism is coming from because I'm sniffing a fart, not a flower...

#225 3 years ago

I'm fine with current price as long as quality, replaceability and mechs reflect game cost.

Looking at my jp pro.
    It weights like a card board box. The electronics are the cheapest money can Buy, the playfield looks like the moon and The most advanced mech, are three pop-bumpers.

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from John0560:

Well I am new to the hobby and just bought a machine that was rated horribly and paid 400$ more than pinside averages its worth. My wife and I are having a blast with it, LW3 . People like me that are new are willing to overpay for titles that have been bashed over the years show that prices will continue to rise. High demand low supply. Maybe this will cause people to leave on the other hand, sorry guys.

It doesn’t matter what people bash when you’re getting your first pin...your first pin is always a blast because there’s a f***ing pinball machine in your house! It’s awesome! LW3 is plenty fun.

This is how the hobby’s always been, too. When I started, the “collectors” ONLY wanted Bally Williams games...so anything else that was off their radar was easy to find “cheap”. My first pin, BTTF, was $300!!! I got tons of Sega & DE games for less than $1000. Ultimately they didn’t last in my collection, but I had a lot of fun with them while I had them.

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

I'm fine with current price as long as quality, replaceability and mechs reflect game cost.
    Looking at my jp pro.
    It weights like a card board box. The electronics are the cheapest money can Buy, the playfield looks like the moon and The most advanced mech, are three pop-bumpers.

One of the best things Stern did was get their games down about 50 pounds. I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of lugging these these all over the world.

If they could get rid of another 50 pounds that would be fantastic. Would a metal lower cab hold up as well as the metal heads they make now?

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One of the best things Stern did was get their games down about 50 pounds. I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of lugging these these all over the world.
    If they could get rid of another 50 pounds that would be fantastic. Would a metal lower cab hold up as well as the metal heads they make now?

When carrying it, I would love for it to weigh 30 pound, but when playing it, Well it feels odd for me, when you nudge it, and it moves two inches.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

When carrying it, I would love for it to weigh 30 pound, but when playing it, Well it feels odd for me, when you nudge it, and it moves two inches.

Rubber casters on every game always! The best mod!

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from stuliss:

Rubber casters on every game always! The best mod!

Thanks will try that.

There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-pinball-prices-come-down-/page/5?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.