(Topic ID: 101112)

Will painted levelers permanently stain your carpet ? Let's find out together .

By trilogybeer

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by centerflank
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen_Shot_2015-09-06_at_3.27.31_AM.png
    image.jpg
    images.jpeg
    12lufn.jpg
    20150905_183258.jpg
    20150905_183227.jpg
    Doug.png
    281052.jpg
    P1010583.JPG
    P1010581.JPG
    P1010579.JPG
    dddd.gif
    P1010577.JPG
    P1010574.JPG
    P1010571.JPG
    278235-i.jpg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I will be painting some leg levelers and putting them on a few of my games to find out if the paint from the levelers will permanently stain my carpet . I will have to leave these on for some time to see if they are effected over a time period of and from nudging of a game . I hope the information I will find will help anyone deciding if they want to put painted levelers on their game . Of course if you are worried about your carpet you could use Pin Footies http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2110
    for your painted levelers , Problem solved . This thread is for people that like the look of painted levelers but don't want to use Pin Footies , and are worried about ruining their carpet . Don't worry I'll risk ruining my carpet and share the findings with you all right here .
    For this experiment I will be using automotive paint and clearcoat . I also have my games in 2 different rooms , each have different styles of carpet so we'll get to see how the painted levelers react to the different carpets .

P1010568.JPG P1010569.JPG
    #2 5 years ago

Why not just paint the top side of the feet and it won't matter. You can't see the bottom anyway.

#3 5 years ago

Another great solution , But let's just see what will happen to my carpet when I put the painted ( top and bottom side) levelers on a few of my games .

#4 5 years ago

I'm positive they will, I just don't know how long it will take

#5 5 years ago

Use footies of some sort. It keeps the feet from digging in so deep and leaving permanent dents in the carpet. Either rubber, wood or even sliders on carpet.

#6 5 years ago

Yeah I even posted a link to Pin Footies in my first post . This thread will be for people that don't want to use Footies .

#7 5 years ago

As long as you are using brand new levelers or at least really clean rust free ones, I would not think the automotive paint would come off - especially with clear coat.

#8 5 years ago

I will be using new levelers, do you think it will come off and stain the carpet ? Or do you think it will just kind of flake off and be something I need to vacuum up ?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I will be using new levelers, do you think it will come off and stain the carpet ? Or do you think it will just kind of flake off and be something I need to vacuum up ?

I would not think it would come off at all. If it did, I would bet that it would be a flake rather than a stain.

#10 5 years ago

Did you etch the metal then prime it? Self etching primer works really great. But even if you did etch and prime it will take a long time to come off because it's not exposed to the elements. I'll check back in 10-20 years.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I would not think it would come off at all. If it did, I would bet that it would be a flake rather than a stain

This is exactly what I think also . I'm just doing this as a fun experiment , Let's see what happens . This thread may or may not end up being informative .

#12 5 years ago

If the surface is properly prepared and the paint is given adequate time to cure ( not 24hrs), then you should have no problems with staining or flaking. Not really sure why this would need testing or why you would want to paint you levelers in the first place . Your next experiment should be to see if kids like chocolate.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Did you etch the metal then prime it? Self etching primer works really great. But even if you did etch and prime it will take a long time to come off because it's not exposed to the elements. I'll check back in 10-20 years.

I started this thread a little early I have not painted them yet . But yes I will use an etching primer , then sealer , basecoat and clear.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Not really sure why this would need testing or why you would want to paint you levelers in the first place

Last 8 or so posts from this thread should clear the confusion up for you . If you check the thread check out the pictures also the OP has some nice custom painted trim pieces and he did the levelers as well .
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-custom-paintedcleared-pinball-legs-whaatcha-think-1#post-1855114

#15 5 years ago

If the surface is properly prepared and the paint is given adequate time to cure ( not 24hrs), then you should have no problems with staining or flaking. Not really sure why this would need testing or why you would want to paint you levelers in the first place . Your next experiment should be to see if kids like chocolate.

Exactly, seems really pointless. While I understand why someone would like to paint them to match, if you have a decent carpet, once it settles, you will hardly see them. Buy footies, which as everyone knows makes the games easier to move anyway. Its a win-win.

#16 5 years ago

I guess.... It would be much better to just use new chrome leg levelers and color match with a set of pin butts ( http://jcspinball.com/Pinball-Pin-Butts.html ). They even have purple . As soon as you try to screw those painted levelers into the leg, the paint is shot. You may have luck lubricating the threads first, but again why? painting threads never works right. Even black oxide coated leg levelers loose their black finish as you screw them in. Same goes for those bolt heads. Take a wrench to them more than once and the finish is ruined.

#17 5 years ago

Don't waste your time on the other idea.....all kids love chocolate

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Don't waste your time on the other idea.....all kids love chocolate

How can you be sure????

#19 5 years ago

17 out of 17 scientists with a doctorate in kidology say so. Oh, and so does Chuck Norris.
    During the entire study, only one kid failed to finish his chocolate bar, and he was the smelly kid- so disqualified.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

17 out of 17 scientists with a doctorate in kidology say so. Oh, and so does Chuck Norris.

If Chuck Norris says it's so , then it is so .

#21 5 years ago

Painted leg levelers now ??? WOW !! I really think some of you guys have too much time on your hand's. Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to clearcoating the underside of the cabinet on my $400 game.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#22 5 years ago

Suggestion #1: Don't paint leg levelers. They are too cheap to not just replace them if rusted.

Suggestion #2: Put scrap squares of carpet under any test subjects, so the room carpet is not damaged.

#23 5 years ago

everybody is missing the point of the experiment...he is not looking for a way to prevent the paint from staining the carpet by using footies or carpet scraps.......he is doing it only to prove a point.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

everybody is missing the point of the experiment...he is not looking for a way to prevent the paint from staining the carpet by using footies or carpet scraps.......he is doing it only to prove a point.

I'm still missing it.

lol

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm still missing it.
    lol

I agree that there is really no point to it... it just seems as the OP got into a pissing match with Pinchroma in another thread and is now going to do whatever it takes to prove he is right...seems silly to me

#26 5 years ago

Just paint the carpet.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I agree that there is really no point to it... it just seems as the OP got into a pissing match with Pinchroma in another thread and is now going to do whatever it takes to prove he is right...seems silly to me

ooooh NOW I get it . But honestly, there are way too many factors here that could contribute to your experiment working / not working. Surface prep, paint type, cure time, humidity, experience, time between coats just to name a few...

#28 5 years ago

Some people are wound tight. Real tight.

#29 5 years ago

All this for a "told ya so"?

imgres-1.jpg
    #30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Some people are wound tight. Real tight.

I didn't see either guy getting too worked up over it. Both expressed their opinions and Trilogy was willing to test it out.

For the sake of curiosity I'm interested to see how it turns out and although I know next to nothing about paint I am equally interested in potential wagers involving lionman t-shirts. pm me

#31 5 years ago

If I paint the bottom of a stripper's ass will it permanently stain her carpet?

imgres-2.jpg
    #32 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

If I paint the bottom of a stripper's ass will it permanently stain her carpet?

If you ever find a stripper with a carpet - fncking run!!!!!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

I didn't see either guy getting too worked up over it. Both expressed their opinions and Trilogy was willing to test it out.

Yes this ^^^^^ .Why bother talking about when it's easy for me just to paint some levelers and put them on a few games and see what happens. Is this whole thing silly ,Yes , So what I do a lot silly things . Today I jumped off a boat with a Russian swing on it while wearing a Jar-Jar mask .

But honestly, there are way too many factors here that could contribute to your experiment working / not working. Surface prep, paint type, cure time, humidity, experience, time between coats just to name a few...

This I do agree with But I'll be using automotive paint , and while it may not be the same brand as the levelers that we were told would permanently stain carpet, I think it will be close enough to what was used for the test . As far as surface prep ,time between coats , and such I'm going to paint them the same way I would paint anything else made of metal . Time between coats is determined by paint manufacturer , and temperature and humidity may increase or decrease time . As far as experience , The OP of the other thread stated that his brother (who did the paint work ) Has 20 years experience painting in the autobody industry So I'm fairly confident that he knows how to properly apply the paint he used . As far as my experience It would be less , I have been working in the autobody industry for 11 years But I do frame and body work . But I do also occasionally paint and I do know how to properly apply automotive paint . Cure time I'll have some fun with , I plan on putting one of these levelers the same day I paint it . The others I'll give them a few days , and I'll give another like a week to cure . I plan on making this experiment at least as fun as watching paint dry .

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

I am equally interested in potential wagers involving lionman t-shirts. pm me

Let's keep all wagers involving LIONMAN t-shirts public . No money of course you can wager something around the same value as the shirt . Now what can we bet on ? I am a Packers fan if that helps .

#35 5 years ago

Also pics or it didn't happen .

278235-i.jpg
    #36 5 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yes this ^^^^^ .Why bother talking about when it's easy for me just to paint some levelers and put them on a few games and see what happens. Is this whole thing silly ,Yes , So what I do a lot silly things . Today I jumped off a boat with a Russian swing on it while wearing a Jar-Jar mask .

You're a liar, I saw the video that was jar jar the lionman.

#38 5 years ago

OK I painted some levelers . I went with a metalic charcoal gray . I also did not paint the threads because as someone here stated paint would be removed first time threading them in . I agree and it's was super easy to just mask them off . As you can see from the picture top and bottom of the levelers are painted .

P1010571.JPG
    #39 5 years ago

Now cure time Yes I would normally wait a few days at least . But For this test let's see what happens if I don't , These levelers were painted at 4pm they did get a 20 minute bake ( which is a short bake time ) usually an hour . But even a short bake will speed up the curing process . Anyways I put one leveler on my Metallica at 9:30 pm so only 5 and 1/2 hours cure time . Would I suggest doing this ? No , I would suggest proper cure time. But for this test lets see what happens . Metallica is the game that currently gets the most play here also

P1010574.JPG P1010577.JPG
    #40 5 years ago

Sounds like you are planning to get new carpet anyway.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sounds like you are planning to get new carpet anyway.

Nope , But I plan on keeping my games , so if it does stain the carpet who cares because there will always be a leveler in that spot covering up the stain anyways . And before its said I don't plan on changing the layout in that room either because I've got it set up to fit as many games as possible and not be to cramped when people are over , so Games are staying where they are . Also I don't really think this this leveler will leave a stain either , But it has a much better chance of doing so than the ones I let cure long enough .

#43 5 years ago

^ My bet is that gif will end before the carpet gets stained.

#44 5 years ago

I just played some games for a while on Metallica . I'll admit that I don't nudge the games a whole lot when I play and when I do I wouldn't say they are harsh nudges . But when I moved the game to take the pictures(one with flash one without) I just pushed it over (no lifting) It did not leave any paint or stains . I do realize that for these stains to possibly occur It will require time and many games played and very much nudging . I plan on leaving this leveler on for months , maybe years ? I do enjoy pinball so the game (and other games that I put the painted levelers on) will get played and I will check the carpet periodically (once a week at first , Then once a month ) . But I realize the levelers just sitting there and me posting pics once a month is not interesting , so I have some other tests planed that will be more interesting .

P1010579.JPG P1010581.JPG
    #45 5 years ago

Magic Sliders. It's like they were made for pinball machines.

#46 5 years ago

give one to Jay and I am sure there will be a few more creative/interesting pics to share.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

give one to Jay and I am sure there will be a few more creative/interesting pics to share.

Jay is working on other cooler stuff , besides he'd probably just rub his pinballs on them .
    Anyways Nothing new to report (meaning that leveler on Metallica hasn't stained my carpet yet ) I'll put the other charcoal gray one on another game tomorrow . Also I'll be painting a few more to do some experiments with .

#48 5 years ago

If you really wanna test the paints durability then chuck it into a drill and spin it against the carpet for 5 minutes. Then try 10. Keep increasing time if you want to. Playing a few games probably isn't going to do anything especially if you aren't an aggressive nudger. Its time for some rapid testing !

#49 5 years ago

If you really wanna test the paints durability then chuck it into a drill and spin it against the carpet for 5 minutes. Then try 10. Keep increasing time if you want to. Playing a few games probably isn't going to do anything especially if you aren't an aggressive nudger. Its time for some rapid testing !

Dammit man ! That is exactly what I was going to do . I was going to shoot a video and post to youtube , Got a friend coming over Saturday I was going to have him help me shoot the video . Oh well I still have a few other tests I was going to try also . You are smart , want to guess what having a leveler in the drill will do to the carpet ? Also do you think the painted leveler cause more damage to the carpet than an unpainted one if also put in the drill ? Guess right and I'll send you a LIONMAN shirt . No cheating though , meaning don't try it before I do .
    Cheers
    Doug

#50 5 years ago

What if you paint the drill ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside