(Topic ID: 205219)

Will non ghosting leds help my dirty harry?

By tp

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tp
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So dirty Harry has a real issue with strobing and flickering when leds are installed. Was gonna get a led ocd board but found out id need one for controllelled lamps as well as one for the gi to make it right. Not sure I wanna splurge for two. So my question is will quality non ghosting leds resolve some or all of my issues?

#2 6 years ago

I have Comet non-ghosting LEDs in my inserts in most of my games and I do not see any ghosting or flickering. No LED OCD board in any of my games.

#3 6 years ago

Non-ghosting LEDs will prevent flickering in the case where a bulb is supposed to be unlit, but you'll see subtle flickering. This is because there is a small amount of voltage at the socket that wasn't enough to illuminate an incandescent bulb...but it's enough to illuminate an LED.

LED OCD boards are primarily designed to deal with fading effects. These fading effects which were originally designed for incandescents just don't look as smooth with LEDs. Example: the LOTR Fellowship inserts pulse in and out during gameplay. Installing LEDs makes this effect choppy, but the LED OCD will fix it.

Unless I'm missing something, most WPC games do not use fading effects on inserts during gameplay...however it's likely that attract mode will be smoothed out with LED OCD.

I've never used LED OCD for GI...but it's unnecessary in most games because the GI is either fully on, or fully off (ie: no fading effects). Does Dirty Harry have GI fading effects? A few games I can think of that have noticeable effects are Addams Family and Theater of Magic. Many WPC games also have an option in the settings to turn off GI dimming.

TL;DR Non-ghosting bulbs will likely fix most of your issues. I would try those before going full LED OCD. (If you buy non-ghosting bulbs from Comet, and decide that it isn't enough and you want LED OCD, you can return the bulbs and we'll refund you (because for the LED OCD boards it's better to have standard LEDs, rather than non-ghosting)).

#4 6 years ago

Another nice feature of OCD LED is the ability to individually control the brightness of each individual bulb separately. I find this particularly useful if you have OCD like myself (pun intended) and you want the visual feel of your blue bulbs to match your orange bulbs and your red bulbs. Meaning that to me on a stock setting even bulbs of the same design but of different color have different “brightness levels” to my eye without the OCD LED board. Not sure this would be solved with non-ghosting LED’s because the same principle is in effect for the most part. But again, not an issue unless you have OCD (the disorder, not the board).

#5 6 years ago

Be sure to go into the game software adjustments menu and set these two adjustments:

A1. 25 Allow Dim Illumination set to "NO"

A1. 29 General Illumination Power Saver set to "OFF"

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Be sure to go into the game software adjustments menu and set these two adjustments:
A1. 25 Allow Dim Illumination set to "NO"
A1. 29 General Illumination Power Saver set to "OFF"

Highly agree with Ken. And I've also had great success with the ghosting patch.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips. What's the ghosting patch?

#9 6 years ago

I had to turn GI dimming off on my Dirty Harry after installing some GI LEDs. I haven't decided if I want to buy a GI LED OCD board yet. I haven't really noticed that GI dimming is disable. I had to do the same thing on Corvette when I owned it.

1 month later
#10 6 years ago

Ghosting patch and gi dimming setting to off do wonders for this title. Thanks for pointing it out guys.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-non-ghosting-leds-help-my-dirty-harry?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.