(Topic ID: 48458)

will NIB quality pins effect the "A" list market value?

By jruddr

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Will the production of quality "NEW" pins negatively effect the price of 15 year old "A" list games?

#2 11 years ago

No,the 15 year old "A" list games will have an intrinsic value of their own based on current market conditions and availability.

#3 11 years ago

Nope - If anything it will make them more expensive

#4 11 years ago

If we all agree that space for machines, not money, seems to be the biggest problem among collectors, then hopefully old pins will need to be given up to make room for the new pins.

When it comes to prices for the older titles, I don't know when we'll be on the downslope of the sign wave, but hopefully at least the release of good new games will at least get some good old games back out on the market to end this drought.

#5 11 years ago

IMO yes, unless the hobby grows at a quick enough pace to absorb both the NIB games and older games that get put on the market. Continuing to bring more games into the supply will require an increase in demand as well. If it doesn't, something will have to give.

Just my opinion.

#6 11 years ago

I think if newer stuff comes out that is considered superior, people will sell A titles to free up both cash and space. As more titles become available, prices for them drop. So yea I'm predicting some gradual decline in A listers as soon as better things come along. Who knows when that will be though.

#7 11 years ago

Regardless of how great the new stuff is, a Medieval Madness is still a Medieval Madness.

#8 11 years ago

Have to agree with Markmon.
    If a new title comes out and people need it more than an older title, it's supply and demand, and the older title drops in value.
    If, however, Stern releases NIBs that cost more and more, and people hate them, I would expect the older titles will increase in value.

#9 11 years ago

I agree Chambahz

#10 11 years ago

One would have to think that the same programmers/ designers+better technology = better games.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from jruddr:

One would have to think that the same programmers/ designers+better technology = better games.

Agreed. But I don't think there will ever come a time where current DMD's are comparable to what "EM's" are today. Technology isn't the only "fun factor" in pinball.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I think if newer stuff comes out that is considered superior, people will sell A titles to free up both cash and space. As more titles become available, prices for them drop. So yea I'm predicting some gradual decline in A listers as soon as better things come along. Who knows when that will be though.

I also agree - at some point we have to have saturation. Also when I sold my Addams it was a little harder then expected... My theory was that most on the site have had the game once in there collection. Too many good games to repeat a few purchases. The last round of selling madness (happens most of the times a game is released - prices were starting to show saturation. However, some just add to collections, while others like myself have to sell to buy another new one.

#13 11 years ago

Tough to predict, however this is how I think it should play out: As fattrain eloquently put it, MM will always be MM. In other words, excellent condition A+ titles will always command top dollar from collectors...however we should expect to see a leveling out to moderate growth in those prices due to the better "NEW" games versus the exponential increases we have seen. With the recent price increases from Stern, as players and collectors look for "value" - the solid B / B+ / A- games may increase at a faster pace.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Regardless of how great the new stuff is, a Medieval Madness is still a Medieval Madness.

Supply and demand - period. MM price right now is reflected by the fact there are only so many on the market being sold. If more new games coming out are in high demand/desirable, and as a result as previous posters have noted, more put up their MM's for sale to fund or make room for their NIB game then yes the price of even MM will drop.

If NIB games coming out are "as good as" or "better" than A - List games, then there is no reason to think why the A - List games would cost more than the NIB. Won't happen over night but i believe it will. Would you rather have a MM or 2 NIB AC/DC/Star Trek/Metalica/Hobbit/whatever. Either the supply of MM increase as more come on the market, or the demand tanks as people look to NIB games that are just as fun at much less cost.

In both cases, the cost of MM will be driven down by the market. No point including A-List games that will never be sold in the equation (those about to jump in and argue that they will never sell their A-List game at any price). A MM that will never be sold by its owner has zero market value and does not play into the formula of supply and demand - it essentially doesn't exist from a buyer or seller point of view. MM is also the extreme. I don't see games like TOTAN, CV, TOM, holding their value as long as a game like MM.

I give Stern huge kudos for keeping pinball alive (seriously - thank you), but could a WOF or Sopranos really hold a candle to most of the Williams/Bally DMD's? That's the only reason we ended up with A/B list B/W games in the first place. Because there wasn't anything better coming out. That appears to have changed. And cost of ALL used games will be effected by that change.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from jruddr:

Yep that's why SWe1 is so universally loved.

#16 11 years ago

Well, despite the disagreement on the values, I think we can all agree that the value is the MOST important thing about pinball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-nib-quality-pins-effect-the-a-list-market-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.