Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by deeznuts
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210102-194856_Drive (resized).jpg
    20201229_122841 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DazedandConfused.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I remember seeing a beautiful Renaissance painting once in a National Gallery tour. The guide said the reason it looked so good was that it had been housed in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg for a few hundred years before coming to America. Alas, my wife does not appreciate the artistic qualities of pinball and she wants me to keep them in the garage. That's fine with me, as I have my little mancave down there now. This time of year, I start thinking about the weather. With apologies for my naivette, I ask if pinballs are like fine art when it comes to temperatures or do you need to keep them warm?
    I live in the Seattle area, where it gets down in the thirties but not much below that. Lots of rain, but the garage is dry. When I purchased the MBr, the seller said that he had put heating in his garage to take care of his pinballs. In my case, the garage is always warmer than the ambient temp since it is beneath the house. Is heating the garage a must?
    How low can you go before the cold becomes a problem?
    One more question, would it be better to leave the pinballs on all the time or turn them off when not playing them? Thanks!

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from wesman:

95% humidity seems kinda...nuts.

Don't even ask what the main ingredient is.....

touché.
    Regarding the problem of playfield glass shattering on the concrete, I believe Marco's Specialty website sells slip-on plastic corner covers, but have not found the item yet. I can't do much about the humidity, but sounds like I should do something about the cold. I will start by measuring the garage temps. The terranium heating pad idea sounds good, but I just wonder if those could malfunction and overheat the cab. I'll get circuit breakers right away. Merci.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

pbl has some
    https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0161-00
    I have those and my friend printed some off thinkverse using some rubbery material that I also use.

thanks for the link and may your garages always be warm.

1 week later
    #29 1 year ago
    Quoted from nglayton:

I've been storing my games in a non-heated shop for about 12 years. I'm in Oregon, not to far from Washington. Zero issues with moisture, humidity, cabinets, or the backglass. Hot, cold, and freezing 2-3 times a year. I turn them off 95% of the time when I'm not playing them. You'll be fine, don't overthink it.

You make a convincing argument. I have had an older machine, WCS 94, in the garage for 3-4 years w/o any trouble. Just thought maybe the newer MB remake might be more temp sensitive. Still need to do some temperature checks.
    Speaking of the Northwest, no word yet about the 2021 NW pinball and arcade show in Tacoma. Would be a shame if that gets cancelled again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DazedandConfused.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!