Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by stangbat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will my floor hold this weight?”

• Easily... no issue whatsoever 11 votes
      30%
    • No... spread the machines into other areas of the house. 5 votes
      14%
    • Maybe.... but im no structural engineer 21 votes
      57%

(37 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shear moment (resized).png
    949E1602-74D0-4187-96F8-F55CC9005475 (resized).jpeg
    DEF2FED5-C3A2-432E-A2C5-EDE5D3668E6A (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Having a pinball tourney at my house, and curious if i will have any risk of floor collapsing? Thoughts?

-Around 35-40 players.
    -8 pins in one room
    -room dimension is 30’ x 15’
    -wood flooring
    -room is on first floor w/ basement below.
    -floor joists are 2”x10” and spaced 16” apart.

#2 4 years ago

I think you're fine, but have them sign a waiver just in case!

For the record, I'm voting option#3.

I'd also keep the pins close to the walls, maybe spread out (4 each wall) as you mentioned.

Pics, or it never happened

#3 4 years ago

You will be finnee , just serve the guests salad

#4 4 years ago

2 x 10's @ 16" oc. can span 16'.
    You are fine.

#5 4 years ago

It depends...how fat are your friends?

#6 4 years ago

My gut feeling is you'll be fine. Loading makes a big difference. If the games are close to the wall, that's obviously better than if all the games were in the middle of the room. And consider that a pin might weigh 200-250+ lbs, but it is distributed over four legs that are a ways apart. A 250 lb person puts all that weight in a small spot. And the pins will help keep the load from occupants getting too out of hand because they take up a bit of space.

Building codes are pretty conservative and try to take in to account weird loadings and situations. But you can't design for every possible scenario. If the beams have any lateral bracing, you'll be in much better shape than if there's none. The beams in my home are doubled up about every 4', and that also helps. How old is the home?

Now if you said you were having a pinball dance party with 35-40 people jumping around the games, I might give a different answer.

#7 4 years ago

40 guest @ 200lbs each 4 tons of people.
    8 pins @ 250lbs each 1 ton of fun. 5 tons total. Don't stand in one corner, don't get to excited and jump up and down.

#8 4 years ago

Heres the room.
    Going to put them across the windows in a line. I would think it would be fine, especially since its right on the perimeter of the house.

I checked joists and it looks like they are doubled up every 5’.

DEF2FED5-C3A2-432E-A2C5-EDE5D3668E6A (resized).jpegDEF2FED5-C3A2-432E-A2C5-EDE5D3668E6A (resized).jpeg
    #9 4 years ago

You'll be fine. You have an open modern home, everyone won't be crammed in tightly and the games will be spaced out near the wall.

#10 4 years ago
    949E1602-74D0-4187-96F8-F55CC9005475 (resized).jpeg949E1602-74D0-4187-96F8-F55CC9005475 (resized).jpeg
    #11 4 years ago

Measured room...
    Actually 14’x 26’

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

It depends...how fat are your friends?

Mandatory follow up question : JJPs or 2017 Sterns?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

#14 4 years ago

I count 38 people, and see 1 pinball machine inside.

#15 4 years ago

Should be ok, im not a structural engineer, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

1 jjp, the rest sterns and older.

#17 4 years ago

Buy a couple of 2x10’s and double up a few of the existing beams or even a few beams vertically screwed in temporarily.

#18 4 years ago

you are good, that is roughly around 10,000 lbs. A well built room can hold 50lbs per sq foot. So. looks like your room can support around 18,000 lbs.

#19 4 years ago

If this was outdoors on a porch you would be at risk. There was a fatal instance in Chicago a few years ago where a 3rd floor porch had not been rebuilt to code and guests at a party overloaded and collapsed the porch. But indoors in a modern home you will be OK.

#20 4 years ago

Just tell RC he has to play downstairs and watch the floor while everyone jumps to test it.

#21 4 years ago

Thx guys!
    Pretty sure im good.
    Looks like my floor will hold at least 13000 lbs.

8 games at 300lb each is 2400lbs.
    Lets say 20 people at 200lbs each would be 4000lbs.
    Making a total weight of 6400lbs.

Thats only half of what it is rated for.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from evanc:

Just tell RC he has to play downstairs and watch the floor while everyone jumps to test it.

Lol

#23 4 years ago

I will prolly add some posts just to overkill it.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Looks like my floor will hold at least 13000 lbs.

Like I said in my post, it is also very important how the load is distributed. Some weird loading conditions can make things fail even when you are under the design loads. And dynamic loading changes things on top of that (people dancing, jumping, etc.)

I'm not saying you won't be fine, I'm just splitting hairs. It isn't as simple as X lbs/sqft.

#25 4 years ago

Disclaimer: I am not a structural engineer, nor do I play one on TV

That said, the International Building Code specifies a uniformly distributed live load design weight of 40 pounds per square foot (psf) for residential construction. I don't know the species of the wood your beams are made up of, and it does make a difference, but even Eastern Spruce (as opposed to Yellow Pine or Douglas Fir) can carry over 40 psf live load @ 15' span. Basically, your room exceeds code (as Woody76 points out, probably closer to 50 psf).

Of course, the weight isn't evenly distributed across the room. As stangbat mentions and you point out, the pins will be lined up along the walls, the best place to be for carrying weight, as much of the load will be transferred directly to the support (basement) walls below them. That leaves primarily the people which on a weight basis is well below the design loads. Without going into all the possible exceptions like concentrated load or, also as stangbat points out, a dynamic load of dancing/jumping, you will be fine. You would most likely notice any significant floor deflecting well before failure anyway. If you want, you could just see if a ball rolls to the center on those hardwood floors, or run a string along the joists below attached at the ends and mark the spot in the middle where the string is. You will see any deflection in both cases after you load the pins/under full party load.

Have a fun Tourney!

#26 4 years ago

Thx guys

#27 4 years ago

Memories...haven't done this in a while.

shear moment (resized).pngshear moment (resized).png
    #28 4 years ago

Uuuh... i dont get it

#29 4 years ago

Attach half the machines to the ceiling to help reduce the load on the floor. Problem solved.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Uuuh... i dont get it

Just an engineering reference for anyone that had to endure hours of shear moment diagrams.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Attach half the machines to the ceiling to help reduce the load on the floor. Problem solved.

Brilliant!!!

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Memories...haven't done this in a while. [quoted image]

Haven't done V & M diagrams in a while or haven't done them correctly in a while? That one is incorrect

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

When doing this, be sure to invite Lionel Richie over for some dancing on the ceiling.

#34 4 years ago

You said you had a basement, right?

#35 4 years ago

Reminds me of Al Bundy. "One two three four, you're going to fall through the floor".

LTG : )

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from gutz:

Haven't done V & M diagrams in a while or haven't done them correctly in a while? That one is incorrect

I haven't done them in a really long time and I didn't even really look at it, I just grabbed an image off a search.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-my-floor-support-this-weight?hl=evanc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.