IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg
metallicaacdc.jpg
photo(5).JPG
Capture_LE.PNG
3e8d287fd2d009d7b3f58ca8a43edd7f.jpg
images.jpeg
Metallica_Detail-10_webready.jpg
There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 10 years ago
Quoted from Bearded_Warrior:

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but the Metallica ratings are dropped like nothing I've ever seen. It may not even be in the top 100 by the time the rankings are updated next week.
And I can't believe the people that are giving 1's and 2's just to low ball it. I'd never score a game that low even if I hated it. The lowest I've scored any game is 6.9. This whole system is flawed and ridiculous.

It's quite childish.

If by some miracle Metallica did indeed prove to be the absolute best pinball machine ever made, it would make MM, TZ, AFM, etc. worse by any measure. It will do nothing to their quality. I wish people just let the ratings settle naturally and quit with all the manipulation.

#202 10 years ago

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but the Metallica ratings are dropped like nothing I've ever seen. It may not even be in the top 100 by the time the rankings are updated next week.
And I can't believe the people that are giving 1's and 2's just to low ball it. I'd never score a game that low even if I hated it. The lowest I've scored any game is 6.9. This whole system is flawed and ridiculous.

I saw this coming a mile away. It's as predictable as the sun coming up in the east.

#203 10 years ago

LOL, When you look at some people's rankings & what they own, you can see why,

#204 10 years ago

Well, the 1s average out the people who are giving it a 9.9 based on potential. It will all settle around where its supposed to be eventually.

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Well, the 1s average out the people who are giving it a 9.9 based on potential. It will all settle around where its supposed to be eventually.

How the hell do you figure that? Are you saying the game is a 5.5?

#206 10 years ago

Troll ratings make it easy for me know who to block. Thanks trolls...

#207 10 years ago

I score this ratings argument @ a 5.750

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Troll ratings make it easy for me know who to block. Thanks trolls...

Vary undude!! I was watching a video of Lyman playing it .man that dude can roll.
the game looked cool and when he electrocuted that thing in the middle that was pretty sweet. unfortunately the music and the call out's suck. I don’t see it in the top 10 A year from now.
And I predict it doesn’t outsell ac/dc. You heard it here first! but what do I know : )

for those of you that bought one enjoy and rock on!

#209 10 years ago

This reminds me of when I bought Guitar Hero: Metallica for my PS3 a few years ago. People were slamming it and saying it was just new stuff using a proven formula and dissing it for this reason or that and bringing up all the Napster crap. I didn't care about that stuff and I played the sh*t outta that game and it's still one of my favorites today because I love Metallica. The theme alone carries a lot of weight for me with this one and the gameplay is good enough to stand on it's own. Haters gonna hate.

#210 10 years ago

This reminds me of when I bought Guitar Hero: Metallica for my PS3 a few years ago. People were slamming it and saying it was just new stuff using a proven formula and dissing it for this reason or that and bringing up all the Napster crap. I didn't care about that stuff and I played the sh*t outta that game and it's still one of my favorites today because I love Metallica. The theme alone carries a lot of weight for me with this one and the gameplay is good enough to stand on it's own. Haters gonna hate.

That’s like your opinion man ...that’s true fanboyism...
I don’t have a problem with that... enjoy its just not my thing..
but really how long has it been out? A month?and your comparing it to MM
lol..send me some of that kool-aid.

#211 10 years ago

What makes MM, MB and AFM so good?

Easy to understand objectives. Stacking, Hurry ups and combos. Addictive and deep rules. Great sound and animations. Variation!

The foundation is there for Metallica to play very close.

#212 10 years ago

Its going be a great pin. best software man on the job.
6 of his pins in the top 10

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Easy to understand objectives. Stacking, Hurry ups and combos. Addictive and deep rules. Great sound and animations. Variation!
The foundation is there for Metallica to play very close.

Right now your seeing things through rose colored glasses . your excited its a new game your passionate about the subject matter.But the subject matter and the theme just doesn’t appeal to the masses. I hope I'm wrong.. but MM ATF have withstood the test of time. I'll revisit this thread in a year or two and see. that is if I can find it ; )

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

that is if I can find it

Easy! Up on the right, put it in your Favorites

#215 10 years ago

hey it may be the best pin in the world, but a lot of people are overrating it and hyping it up without even playing the damn thing or after playing it once on location! Pretty crazy and also pretty stupid of people to be rating it 1 or 2. a 1 or 2 to me is pretty much saying the thing is unplayable and terrible, I'm not going to state the most boring pin I've played but even that for me would be rated higher than 5 based on the fact it's a pinball machine and all pinball machines have some fun\cool stuff happening. I wish ratings weren't allowed for the first 3 months of a pins release or something.
And don't go comparing it to AFM/MM, those pins have stood the test of time and proved to be great for people who don't even like pinball based on how immersive and well done the themes were. Mettalica is a polarizing pin based on it's theme alone, a large number of people will hate it based on that alone

#216 10 years ago

You can replace Metallica with the BeeGees using the software in that other thread.

Yeah, I agree Metallica is a polarizing theme. But what's funny is that metal newbs like me don't know we're not supposed to like Metallica. And anyway for me, it will always be a Dirty Donny pin first.

#217 10 years ago

I've got more than 5 plays on the pro, can I go rate it now???

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You can replace Metallica with the BeeGees using the software in that other thread.
Yeah, I agree Metallica is a polarizing theme. But what's funny is that metal newbs like me don't know we're not supposed to like Metallica. And anyway for me, it will always be a Dirty Donny pin first.

i wasn't having a go at them here or anything but I'm just making the comparison between the metallica theme compared to MM and AFM as I think the theme helped those machines become the icons that they are today.

#219 10 years ago

played a pro, its cool, not as cool as afm or mm. i like it, but if i had to pick between afm or met pro, afm wins easily.

#220 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

And I predict it doesn’t outsell ac/dc. You heard it here first!

Wow. Way to go out on a limb. AC/DC is by far the best selling game in years.

Quoted from tonycip:

unfortunately the music and the call out's suck. I don’t see it in the top 10 A year from now.

If all you consider is the music and voice calls, I can see how you might not like the game. If you look a little deeper, you might like what you see. Someone suggested to me that MET may turn out to be the 'completed' version of MM or AFM. AFM and MM rules with 15 years more programming experience added on. From what I've seen so far, I think he may be right.

Quoted from tonycip:

Right now your seeing things through rose colored glasses.

No, there's enough there already to see the general direction it's going. Take a closer look.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

played a pro, its cool, not as cool as afm or mm. i like it, but if i had to pick between afm or met pro, afm wins easily.

+1. AFM and MM have a type of humor that Metallica will never be able to pull off because of it's theme. If you think one of the band members saying "if it even looks at me funny I'm going to F&*K it up!" is funny/tasteful, then good for you, but it's not even close to the quality of the call-outs of AFM, MM, or MB. The call outs in those games are pure genius, not just going for shock value via profanity.

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

This is a great point. Many people on here are pissed at Metallica because they didnt like people stealing the music(Which I did) off Napster, so they dont have this built in bias from something that happened in the 90's on a service, Napster, that they may have not even heard of.

If someone is still pissed cause they got caught stealing, thats on them, not the pin, not Strern and not Metallica.

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Outside of the fact that you are boiling it down to anything you can find in common between MET and MM.

You forgot a few key things that have kept MM/AFM as desirable for a long time...

1. Fun for a noob, but challenging enough for a player to enjoy for a long time
2. Funny, with professional voice overs
3. Theme with MASS appeal that is timeless. This honestly a huge thing missing from MET. You need to remember that mass appeal is what stabilizes a pin at the top of popularity. If one person gets burnt out on it, there is a seemingly endless demand from others. I can not imagine that MET will even be close to that level of sustained desirability. I don't care to bet against any pinball machine, but hypotethically I would put big $$$ on MET not standing up top for the long haul.

#224 10 years ago

My question is this: Do people mainly currently buy AFM/MM because of its playability, or its collectibility at this point, 15 years after release? I ask because Met may never be top 5 for play, but for collectibility, I am certain it will be near the top.

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I've got more than 5 plays on the pro, can I go rate it now???

5 plays?

You're practically OVER-qualified to vote.

The standard for rating Metallica is either watching a gameplay video, watching at least 2 beavis and butthead episodes or owning a Metallica t-shirt.

Any other pinball experience is a bit over the top for rating purposes...

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

That’s like your opinion man ...that’s true fanboyism...I don’t have a problem with that... enjoy its just not my thing..but really how long has it been out? A month?and your comparing it to MMlol..send me some of that kool-aid.

For the record, I never directly compared MET to MM or AFM. I don't really care where it ranks on Pinside or anywhere else. As long as I personally enjoy the table that's all that matters to me. And of course that's my opinion, but so is most everything anyone posts so is there really a need to point that out? And yes, I am an unashamed Metallica fanboy, just as many others around here are fanboys of MM or AFM. No problem with that. Like what you like and hype it up. I just don't like people putting down something or someone to lift up themselves or their ideals. Peace homie.

#227 10 years ago

I don't have mine yet so I have no idea how fun it is. But I do love the nay sayers screaming about time will tell.
Just like ACDCs beating for a year and a half. Then suddenly everyone is buying it.
Time WILL tell ; )

#228 10 years ago

Personally, I think Metallica reminds me a lot more of Ironman than MM or AFM. Same manufacturer, designer, programmer, both licensed themes, somewhat similar fan layout with 2 flippers/2 ramps, magnets, etc. That's where I would start my comparisons. I like the art/theme better on Met than IM and am anxious to play one! If the code ends up being great like I think it probably will be, I'll likely pick up a Pro somewhere down the line.

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Personally, I think Metallica reminds me a lot more of Ironman than MM or AFM.

Please!!! IM eats AFM alive. That would be awesome.

#230 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I don't have mine yet so I have no idea how fun it is. But I do love the nay sayers screaming about time will tell.
Just like ACDCs beating for a year and a half. Then suddenly everyone is buying it.
Time WILL tell ; )

Learn from past successes. Yes we had WAY MORE nay sayers with ACDC then Metallica. I said it was an A list pin with speed and people flipped out. Crying about the code not finished. Shreading the machine. RGR hated it. RGR said he likes Metallica out of the gate.. and hes from Aussie.

Again Im comparing the layout a game play and rules to AFM, MM which Lyman coded. Metallica is ruder and more edgy. Thats Metallica. At home in a smokey bar or club for sure. Unlike a comicbook/superhero pin.

I dont know about the favorite thread button!

#231 10 years ago

I thought of IM. Great addictive fast. I found some playfield pics. Metallica has the same orbit with spinners.

IM has Nasty drone targets. But brutal side standups and outlane drains. Plastic ramps though. No scoops.

Please!!! IM eats AFM alive. That would be awesome.

2012-03-28_19.45.42.jpg2012-03-28_19.45.42.jpg 2012-03-28_19.45.51.jpg2012-03-28_19.45.51.jpg

#232 10 years ago

Pins that are hyped usually turn out to be duds . AC/DC was just the opposite of hyped and look at the love it still receives a year and a half later .

I do not think Metallica will be a dud. It has too much going for it . Stern is doing a great job with some nice pins.

#233 10 years ago

For the record, I never directly compared MET to MM or AFM. I don't really care where it ranks on Pinside or anywhere else. As long as I personally enjoy the table that's all that matters to me. And of course that's my opinion, but so is most everything anyone posts so is there really a need to point that out? And yes, I am an unashamed Metallica fanboy, just as many others around here are fanboys of MM or AFM. No problem with that. Like what you like and hype it up. I just don't like people putting down something or someone to lift up themselves or their ideals. Peace homie.

you mad bro!

#234 10 years ago

Naw bruh, I'm good. I just don't like trolls, that's all.

#235 10 years ago

its all good blaze up and chill ... ya met best game ever made... ya hit it and pass it..

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This is a great point. Many people on here are pissed at Metallica because they didnt like people stealing the music(Which I did) off Napster, so they dont have this built in bias from something that happened in the 90's on a service, Napster, that they may have not even heard of.

Nah, a lot of us just hate the music.

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Nah, a lot of us just hate the music.

Tons of people said the same thing about AC/DC when that title was first announced/released.

A lot of those same people wound up buying the pin anyway because of the superb game play. Will be interesting to see if a similar thing happens with Metallica.

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Personally, I think Metallica reminds me a lot more of Ironman than MM or AFM. Same manufacturer, designer, programmer, both licensed themes, somewhat similar fan layout with 2 flippers/2 ramps, magnets, etc. That's where I would start my comparisons. I like the art/theme better on Met than IM and am anxious to play one! If the code ends up being great like I think it probably will be, I'll likely pick up a Pro somewhere down the line.

I agree with this. In fact I was going through the ROM for MET and heard one of the band members saying "100,000", "200,000"...I'm glad they didn't go this route for the ramps on MET. The Graveyard is very similar to War Machine too. As I run through the pros and cons of each game in my mind, I realize they're complementary even though they feel similar. Goofy vs serious, shallow vs. deep, etc...they're different enough to own both.

#239 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Tons of people said the same thing about AC/DC when that title was first announced/released.
A lot of those same people wound up buying the pin anyway because of the superb game play. Will be interesting to see if a similar thing happens with Metallica.

The difference between AC/DC and Metallica in the music world is enormous, however. I am not an AC/DC fan and was bummed out by the theme, but I bought an AC/DC Premium. Metallica, however, is too far away from music that I deem acceptable to pay that sort of money. It just sounds so grating and assaulting. I don't want it, regardless of gameplay quality.

Will I play one whenever I can? Sure. Will I own one? No.

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The difference between AC/DC and Metallica in the music world is enormous, however. I am not an AC/DC fan and was bummed out by the theme, but I bought an AC/DC Premium. Metallica, however, is too far away from music that I deem acceptable to pay that sort of money. It just sounds so grating and assaulting. I don't want it, regardless of gameplay quality.
Will I play one whenever I can? Sure. Will I own one? No.

Yeah, I understand. Kind of ironic that you are an example of people that I was talking about who bought AC/DC despite not liking their music (I didn't know you were one of them).

I'm very lucky with AC/DC. I love the music, and the pin may very well be the best I've ever owned.

#241 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I understand. Kind of ironic that you are an example of people that I was talking about who bought AC/DC despite not liking their music (I didn't know you were one of them).
I'm very lucky with AC/DC. I love the music, and the pin may very well be the best I've ever owned.

My own personnal agenda is that MET turns out to be a great pin, so that a few ACDC owners sell their machine to buy one. My only chance to get ACDC at a decent price...
Would not consider MET, even if the PF layout seems interesting - I LOVE its inline targets, animations and lightshow. On the other hand, no lost love for the music (while I like ACDC), callouts (that could be improved) and... artwork.

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Outside of the fact that you are boiling it down to anything you can find in common between MET and MM.
You forgot a few key things that have kept MM/AFM as desirable for a long time...
1. Fun for a noob, but challenging enough for a player to enjoy for a long time
2. Funny, with professional voice overs
3. Theme with MASS appeal that is timeless. This honestly a huge thing missing from MET. You need to remember that mass appeal is what stabilizes a pin at the top of popularity. If one person gets burnt out on it, there is a seemingly endless demand from others. I can not imagine that MET will even be close to that level of sustained desirability. I don't care to bet against any pinball machine, but hypotethically I would put big $$$ on MET not standing up top for the long haul.

I agree with the humor part but I bet to non pinheads more people would be able to associate easier to Metallica or recognize it easier then MM or AFM. If Lyman does his usual magic with the code I could easily see As many Metallicas made as there were AFM's or MM's.

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I agree with the humor part but I bet to non pinheads more people would be able to associate easier to Metallica or recognize it easier then MM or AFM. If Lyman does his usual magic with the code I could easily see As many Metallicas made as there were AFM's or MM's.

Well, knights and martians are far less of a turn off for many people than metal music. That's the stumbling block for the game. Obviously there are sufficient fans of Metallica that the game will still sell well, and enough people will be indifferent that it should do fine on location, but knights and martians don't generally produce outright disdain like metal music may for some.

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Well, knights and martians are far less of a turn off for many people than metal music. That's the stumbling block for the game. Obviously there are sufficient fans of Metallica that the game will still sell well, and enough people will be indifferent that it should do fine on location, but knights and martians don't generally produce outright disdain like metal music may for some.

I love metal and back when metallica was thrash metal I loved it, now that it's no longer metal and Hetfields voice gets worse I can't stand to listen to him. Sound to me can very easily wreck a game and with the band doing voice work on the game they are walking on very thin ice. The voice work is atrocious and I hope they can fix it. I'm not opposed to buying the game but it's really gonna have to impress me with the sound and rules to do that and so far I'm not seeing much of either. I'll eventually go try and play one on location but there is no way I'll buy one without playing it and waiting till the code is solid. If it was 1986 and they released a metallica pin I would have been first in line to buy but to me their music and the lyrics are so different from what they once we're that I believe their original fanbase left with their old sound. Some will argue that evolving into the band they are is a good thing pbut I disagree, when you have unique sound (acdc) you stick with it. You could play kill em all and their newest album death magnetic or whatever it is to a person that's never heard them and they wouldn't know it's the same band. This is just my opinion of course. If they ever make a Tool, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slayer or Megadeth pin I'm all over it.

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Its pretty obvious that your not a fan of Metallica and thats ok, but I dont think you realize how big Metallica, the heavy metal band. They have sold over 100 million albums and will scoop up many of the same fans that AC DC did, and then some due to the harder music. Now of course the artwork isnt at all metal and will attract kids as well as long time fans. The game is going to be a success...

#246 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Its pretty obvious that your not a fan of Metallica and thats ok, but I dont think you realize how big Metallica, the heavy metal band. They have sold over 100 million albums and will scoop up many of the same fans that AC DC did, and then some due to the harder music. Now of course the artwork isnt at all metal and will attract kids as well as long time fines. The game is going to be a success...

I don't question that it will be a success. I just don't see the game being looked upon nearly as fondly as MM or AFM due to the theme. Far less universal appeal and in some cases outright disdain. But either way, the game is obviously going to be successful.

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Its pretty obvious that your not a fan of Metallica and thats ok, but I dont think you realize how big Metallica, the heavy metal band. They have sold over 100 million albums and will scoop up many of the same fans that AC DC did, and then some due to the harder music. Now of course the artwork isnt at all metal and will attract kids as well as long time fines. The game is going to be a success...

Yes, but the question wasnt "will MET be a success"- the OP was comparing it to the most popular games of ALL Time... That's a foolish concept for a game so new....and especially a game so tied to a narrow theme...

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yes, but the question wasnt "will MET be a success"- the OP was comparing it to the most popular games of ALL Time... That's a foolish concept for a game so new....and especially a game so tied to a narrow theme...

Copy that, I did wonder what the original question was lol

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

The OP was merely comparing it in terms of layout, gameplay, and rules because Lyman Sheats is behind all three tables, so there are bound to be similarities. That is all. It had nothing to do with theme or #1 status, which are very subjective.

#250 10 years ago

The OP was merely comparing it in terms of layout, gameplay, and rules because Lyman Sheats is behind all three tables, so there are bound to be similarities. That is all. It had nothing to do with theme or #1 status, which are very subjective.

Theme matters. A lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-metallica-be-a-modern-day-afmmm/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.