(Topic ID: 246851)

Will KME Top Iron Maiden with His Next Pin?

By Billy16

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“Will KME Top Iron Maiden with His Next Pin?”

• Elwin is just getting started, his next pin is really gonna blow minds! 14 votes
    13%
  • KME had a long time to work and refine Archer, then turn those ideas into his first Stern. Gonna be hard to do that again. 45 votes
    42%
  • Don't care, if it is anywhere near as fun as his first pin I'm in! 28 votes
    26%
  • Keith, please don't make me sell something to make room! 5 votes
    5%
  • Didn't really like Maiden, maybe the next one will get me excited. 16 votes
    15%

(108 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Iron Maiden is a fantastic playing game. But by the luck of the draw it could just have easily been Star Wars (and might have been the top selling Stern ever). Does Keith have enough left in his bag of tricks to come up with something even better? I know he has said he was holding onto some cool ideas that he did not incorporate into IMDN--what they are I have no idea. Maybe some things from Archer that didn't make it, probably some new ideas he has come up with as well. Keith is reportedly pretty far along with his next game--can it possibly top Maiden for outstanding game play? Could it be Godzilla, Jurassic something, Jaws? I almost hope he can't top Maiden--as I'd have to make some room! However, I'm not betting against Keith, either!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Iron Maiden is a fantastic playing game. But by the luck of the draw it could just have easily been Star Wars (and might have been the top selling Stern ever). Does Keith have enough left in his bag of tricks to come up with something even better? I know he has said he was holding onto some cool ideas that he did not incorporate into IMDN--what they are I have no idea. Maybe some things from Archer that didn't make it, probably some new ideas he has come up with as well. Keith is reportedly pretty far along with his next game--can it possibly top Maiden for outstanding game play? Could it be Godzilla, Jurassic something, Jaws? I almost hope he can't top Maiden--as I'd have to make some room! However, I'm not betting against Keith, either!

I’m guessing he does, although it’s hard to hit a home run every time. Based on conversation, and what he’s already put out there.. hoping we won’t be seeing to many fan layouts.

#3 4 years ago

No he’s one and done. Probably not even working for stern anymore.

#4 4 years ago

Why not just wait and see when his next game is released. Not sure what is to be accomplished by speculating.

#5 4 years ago

Well, I can certainly see the logic behind the argument for the amount of time and energy spent on Archer making IMDN a hard act to top. Even if that turns out to be true, it doesn't matter: IMDN shows us that Keith knows what the hell he is doing - nearly everything about that game is awesome. Many people who don't really like IMDN, straight up don't like it for the music/theme alone.

One could also argue that now that KME is working on machines as a job, he'll have the time and resources to do something even better. He'll have support and design tools he didn't have before, not to mention input from his now work colleagues at Stern - all experienced game designers.

His next machine doesn't have to top his first to still be something special. I have nothing but confidence that KME has many more great games to design for us. I can't wait to see the next one.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why not just wait and see when his next game is released. Not sure what is to be accomplished by speculating.

Isn't that what we do a lot of on Pinside--speculate or complain?

#7 4 years ago

It’s hard to top a grand slam.The bar was set very high by Maiden. Hopefully he gets a theme he’s interested in and brings his unique style to it. I wouldn’t grade it against Maiden, let it stand on its own.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Sure on what the next release might be but how could we have any clue as to whether or not the game will be better than the designers previous achievment prior to its release and even then its all relative. Ah who cares.

#9 4 years ago

Things we know about the new game, from KME:

1. It will be story based rather than a mishmash of events.
2. It will have an upper flipper,
3. It will have a mech that "changes state", a single shot that physically changes as you advance (like the ramp in IMDN or the castle in MM)
4. It is coming soon, probably next.
5. He is already working on game #3

#10 4 years ago

I hope he will.
But honestly I'm glad that iron maiden was a non cookie cutter layout, and if he keeps it fresh with the next I'm happy.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:how could we have any clue as to whether or not the game will be better than the designers previous achievment prior to its release
Quoted from Hazoff:

the colonel agrees, speculating is just plain silly.

#12 4 years ago

I hope it is as good of a layout/rule set as Maiden...i'd own that one already if it were some other theme. And maybe I will actually do it some day if the right deal comes along.

#13 4 years ago

That sophomore effort is always tough, especially after a big success.

I DO think it will be great, but I would be surprised if it was better than Iron Maiden.

#14 4 years ago

It would be hard to do better but he could have plenty of ideas left in the tank. He'll he could even get a theme he actually likes and knock it out of the park.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It would be hard to do better but he could have plenty of ideas left in the tank. He'll he could even get a theme he actually likes and knock it out of the park.

Stern could "do better" by making sure they support Keith with folks that know how to engineer mechs that work reliably. IMDN really didn't have any exotic mechs, yet there were so many issues (particularly with the Premium/LE model). The problems have been very well documented on Pinside. Took me a solid month to dial in my Premium. I've owned many NIB Stern's...IMDN was definitely an outlier in this regard.

#16 4 years ago

Maiden is my all-time fave. I hope it gets demoted soon.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Stern could "do better" by making sure they support Keith with folks that know how to engineer mechs that work reliably. IMDN really didn't have any exotic mechs, yet there were so many issues (particularly with the Premium/LE model). The problems have been very well documented on Pinside. Took me a solid month to dial in my Premium. I've owned many NIB Stern's...IMDN was definitely an outlier in this regard.

I think part of the problem is that the mechanical engineer that worked on Iron Maiden was fresh out of Purdue University. Of course someone at Stern should have helped with making the mechs more reliable before it went out the door, but that didn't seem to happen. Maybe it didn't get enough testing?

#18 4 years ago

Not everything is rosy over at Stern...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Not everything is rosy over at Stern...[quoted image]

haha. Pretty funny but I'm I'm sure typing "that sells pinball's" should get you shit-canned immediately.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

haha. Pretty funny but I'm I'm sure typing "that sells pinball's" should get you shit-canned immediately.

That is some high level apostrophe abuse at the minimum!

Also note the most recent job title is "Senior BOM Engineer".

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Not everything is rosy over at Stern...[quoted image]

Do most Stern employees need a "sense of direction from management"? That is just an odd comment for someone that is working on an assembly line (90% of their employees?). I worked on an assembly line when I was young, and it was "take this thing that comes on the belt, do this, put in this box, get next thing". Management only needed to say which widgets we were running, then never provided a "sense of direction" and one was never needed.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Do most Stern employees need a "sense of direction from management"? That is just an odd comment for someone that is working on an assembly line (90% of their employees?). I worked on an assembly line when I was young, and it was "take this thing that comes on the belt, do this, put in this box, get next thing". Management only needed to say which widgets we were running, then never provided a "sense of direction" and one was never needed.

The person that wrote that was an engineer employed by Stern, not a production line worker. I would think management would definitely need to give salaried "white collar" workers some direction.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Do most Stern employees need a "sense of direction from management"? ....

Hmmm....how aboot...oh I don't know....someone working on code?

But serously it says the job titles right over the reviews.

#24 4 years ago

Yes! I am certain. Just as unique. No repeat design.

The only thing is. I have a sneaky suspicion that for Iron Maiden he was allowered a budget higher than what would normally be given. New designer. A home brew template game with four flippers and stuff.

Maybe I am wrong. And maybe IMDN was such a hit that a little extra was earned for this next one too.

Non the less. Even if the next game is bound to be less in terms of BOM. I am sure it will be a unique and great playing game.

#25 4 years ago

People need to worry less about BOM and worry more about BOOM!

I'm sure Keith will bring it, Maiden is a great game.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People need to worry less about BOM.. .

Sounds like there no direction in that department per the reviews

#27 4 years ago

Keith’s brother should get more recognition for his influence in the Archer design...hopefully Keith is bouncing ideas off of him.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like there no direction in that department per the reviews

Oh they have a direction...hit a certain dollar figure, but we won't tell you how.

Engineer: okay, monotargets for all!

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Keith’s brother should get more recognition for his influence in the Archer design...hopefully Keith is bouncing ideas off of him.

And violate his NDA?!?!

#30 4 years ago

There’s an NDA on design concepts?!! Damn!

#31 4 years ago

the best player will make another great game, not worried.

#32 4 years ago

I'm pretty optimistic this time.

#33 4 years ago

Interesting the number of votes for not liking Maiden. Was it just the theme or the game play, I wonder...

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

There’s an NDA on design concepts?!! Damn!

You can't even give free legal advice without a license around here bro.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

More of the latter

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Interesting the number of votes for not liking Maiden. Was it just the theme or the game play, I wonder...

with Maiden... it almost ALWAYS the theme.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can't even give free legal advice without a license around here bro.

Now that you mention it...I’ve already said too much! I’m out

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Disappointing to see you harassing someone else with your usual schtick. Stern supports their people just fine.

#39 4 years ago

I was never a fan of the band. I feel like if Stern went with band images like ACDC, Maiden would've sold less. I love that they centered it on Legacy of the Beast game and Eddie and the different iterations of him through the years. It makes it like a fantasy themed pin with good music (I only knew a couple of the songs, but like most of them now).

#40 4 years ago

Interesting they have Keith's next game already.

Thinking Munsters and BKSOR haven't been great sellers, so time for the KME magic

#41 4 years ago

IMDN is easily a top 5 pin for me.
The fact that is was designed originally with a different theme and converted to Maiden makes it even more amazing as I think the theme integration is pretty good.

With Keith designing a pin knowing the theme from the start - I am expecting more greatness

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Will Keith Elwin top Iron Maiden with his next pin?

Nah! I'm sure there are better toppers available for Iron Maiden. Why would you want him to stack one pin on top of another?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting they have Keith's next game already.
Thinking Munsters and BKSOR haven't been great sellers, so time for the KME magic

Weather or not they have been sellers, It’s normal for Stern to reveal two more games before the end of the year. Summer releases have been common.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Disappointing to see you harassing someone else with your usual schtick. Stern supports their people just fine.

Harassing? You have a screw loose. Of course, I’m sure you don’t even own the game (so you have no clue what you are talking about).

#45 4 years ago

I'm here to hear corroboration that KME's next title will drop this month at Comic-Con in San Diego.

Keith himself said he and his team were on a fourteen-month timeline for game production at Stern. So, since IMDN dropped in April of last year, we might be a month late for his new game. Or did IMDN drop in May? Either way, I've given up on the rumor that Eddy is next and I'm super stoked to see what KME has cooked up for #2, whatever the theme.

1 week later
#46 4 years ago

Uh, oh--now that the photos are leaking out of Jurassic Park I'm afraid Keith might actually eclipse IMDN! Hardly wait 'til someone plays it and post their thoughts on it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-kme-top-iron-maiden-with-his-next-pin?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.