(Topic ID: 125482)

Will Kiss be the 3rd(ish) weak seller in a row?

By Pins4me

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 231 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by hank527
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kasket_2011.jpeg
    image.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 7.08.39 PM.png
    $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57.JPG
    20131205_121756.jpg
    1422571488.jpg
    $_57 (7).jpg
    $_57 (6).JPG
    $_57 (8).jpg
    $_57 (13).jpg
    $_57 (12).jpg
    kiss-mints.jpg
    20131205_121806.jpg
    20131205_121839.jpg
    350695-i.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pins4me.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Before everyone gets upset, I am not slamming Stern. Love their games and thank goodness they exist.
    But first they came out with WrestleMania. They missed the popularity window by a decade or more.
    Then Nelly. Ok, not really a Stern game, but their finger prints are all over it.
    Now things are looking more and more realistic that Kiss will be the next pin.

So, will Kiss sell well, or be the 3rd(ish) weak machine in a row?

I say ish because Mustang sales started slow, but I think more and more people are warming up to it and its gaining some steam. Walking Dead is borderline. The machine had such great potential. What timing to release that title, but Stern kind of crippled it without the full license and horrible voices. Now people are unloading it and selling them for much less than they should get.

Don't get me wrong, yes, each one of these titles will sell some and I am sure Kiss will sell more than the previous 2. But the mass appeal I don't think will be there. I would think Stern cant afford to keep making weak sellers.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Nellie is not a regular Stern game....it's a boutique pin made in partnership. They are not being made in normal Stern quantities and there will be no surplus surprises here. No reason for OP to even bring it up.
    TWD is selling just fine (not my favorite), so I'm not sure why it was brought up. The fact that they brought out a Premium after the fact shows the the LE sold out quick. Lyman has said, even with it's incomplete code, it's performing well on location.
    Wrong facts, wrong conclusions.

Go back and read my original comment. "Nelly. Ok, not really a Stern game, but their finger prints are all over it." Although its not a Stern game, Stern is promoting it. Hell, there is even a cartoon Gary Stern advertising it. That's why, I, the OP, brought it up. Geez.
    Don't know where your getting your facts about Walking Dead either, but just look at the popularity of the game posted here alone. NIB units aren't even selling and those open used ones are taking a huge hit. Of course your going to support your own child, but doesn't mean the facts are true about it doing well on location. Heck, I have no interest in WrestleMania, Nelly nor Kiss but I will play them on location.

To quote yourself, Wrong Fact, Wrong Conclusions.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Alright, Vern, let's break it down at a 6th grade level.
    You were stating that Nellie would be a weak seller, part of "3 in a row" from Stern. This is not a regular run, it is a novelty, and is not intended to be a big seller. You're argument is broken at this juncture already, but let's dive further.
    Where are you getting your facts about TWD? Please, reveal your "inside" information! Simple logic shows us the the LE sold out quickly, and warranted the Premium version. This was the first time Stern didn't announce a Premium at launch, and its existence is based solely on the demand with the LE selling out. Lyman Sheets himself, as well as Ops on Pinside have stayed that it performs well on location. Hell, the TV show is huge, and even the non-pinheads will drop change into it based on the theme alone.
    So, you're entire "3 in a row" argument has no merit. Take a good look in the mirror, accept your failure, let it wash over you, and try to better yourself.

Ok Harold, lets break it down further. Like it or not, Stern sold Nelly, its their DNA. Why would you make a machine if it wasn't going to be a seller? Limited run or not, if its not going to sell, then don't make it! Bad seller.

When did I say I had inside information??????????????????? Now your spreading rumors about me.

Of course there would be demand for a game like Walking Dead. That title alone sold tons, but once the machines hit the market, the demand went away and people started selling their machines because it didn't live up to expectations. Yes, the tv show is great! Best show on tv, but the pin fell flat. It was crippled because of licensing issues.
    Take Star Wars as an example. If they even hint at making it, the pure energy of this site alone will help determine how many units could be sold. Maybe Stern will say only an LE then once those are presold move onto the Premium. Then if the game hit the market and it was Jar Jar Binks making all the voice call outs and the game stunk, that title would fall flat too!
    Look at Star Trek. Paramount bent of backwards to provide voices and music. Star Trek is a rock solid seller. I even hear its going back on the assembly line to make more.
    AMC keep their license too tight. Walking Dead failed as a pin.
    I have already said this, but you didn't listen. If I were Lyman Sheets I would be telling the public Walking Dead is the best machine Stern has ever made. Stern should keep him happy and positive especially on a machine that's flat.
    Dude, look at the ads here on Pinside alone. People are dumping WD. No one is buying new ones. Everyone is taking a loss. I wish I could wear your John Lennon rose glasses and see things differently as you do, but sorry, Nelly and WD and lemons. No one is making lemonade of this one either. There is no POP for WrestleMania either. About the only thing going for it is the new hardware and LCD monitor. Once that wears off, its dead.

I have already stated I love Stern machines. Without them still in existence, its possible this website wouldn't exist because more vendors may have had no interest in making new machines. This thread isn't a slam Stern one. Its the opposite. I don't want to see them dig themselves into a hole of bad seller after another after another. You can keep your rose colored glasses on and say their sales will be fine, but you can only make so many bad sellers in a row before action will need to be taken.
    Things look positive for Stern right now moving into a new location. They probably took on more staff to do so. Lets all help keep the money flowing. But if very few of us are going to buy the next machine, that river of cash turns into a stream then a trickle.

#78 8 years ago
    #79 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

. . . your the lone voice of strongest hatred on this title, which is fine by me, but don't present your opinion as facts.

First off, I don't hate TWD. Lets correct that FACT right there. Its one of my go to machines whenever I hit the arcade. The call outs being replaced with the directions here really improve the overall game. Otherwise, the hick that sounds like he is from The Dukes of Hazzard just doesn't cut it for most. But arcades aren't allowed to alter machines like that due to licensing issues.

Second, my voice is not alone. I guess you choose to ignore all the disappointed peoples opinions in this title on Pinside alone. The game had such potential. The topic was prime. The licensing issues crippled it.

Third, if you go back and read my initial post, I don't even list TWD as the topic of this thread. I stated TWD was boarderline. Hence asking pinheads if they thought Kiss would be the "3rd ish" weak seller. Nelly first, WrestleMania being second.

So please, don't present your opinion as facts.

3 weeks later
    #194 8 years ago

So now that Kiss has been announced and soon will be in peoples homes, I admit, I may have miscalled that one. Looks like there is lots of buzz about it.
    But having said that, Nelly and WrestleMania still seem to be DOA.
    (lets not get into Nelly isn't a Stern machine thing again).
    I think for the first time, Stern may have a fire sale on WrestleMania to unload their dead stock unless it only got manufactured in super low numbers.
    Just my 2 cents.

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

Don't feed the OP troll Sick of these bosos pulling stats out their butthole to start up bullcrap discussions with zero facts. Can we get this thread locked up Robin? Thanks!

Why is it when someone doesn't agree with someone else's post, they are a troll.
    The word is so stupid and overused on this forum.
    Funny there are 4 pages of discussion here and everyone is getting along great.

#201 8 years ago

Can one of the mods censor paulohotline if he is just going to continue his childish rant.

#204 8 years ago

Now back to our friendly regularly scheduled discussion.

No, I don't pretend to have inside information from Stern. I think you generally get a good idea how well a machine is doing by the buzz around it and how many arcades have that title.
    Not too much love here for WrestleMania nor Nelly. No one is saying those games suck, but more or less that they would play it if someone else had them. I can speak for myself, I have tried Nelly. I grew up in the EM game error and it did nothing for me. And not to mention, a few WrestleMania's for sale even here on Pinside with very low game play.
    Lots of buzz about Kiss and you can tell its going to do well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pins4me.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-kiss-be-the-3rdish-weak-seller-in-a-row?tu=Pins4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.