(Topic ID: 125482)

Will Kiss be the 3rd(ish) weak seller in a row?

By Pins4me

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 231 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hank527
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kasket_2011.jpeg
    image.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 7.08.39 PM.png
    $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57.JPG
    20131205_121756.jpg
    1422571488.jpg
    $_57 (7).jpg
    $_57 (6).JPG
    $_57 (8).jpg
    $_57 (13).jpg
    $_57 (12).jpg
    kiss-mints.jpg
    20131205_121806.jpg
    20131205_121839.jpg
    350695-i.jpg

There are 231 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

Before everyone gets upset, I am not slamming Stern. Love their games and thank goodness they exist.
    But first they came out with WrestleMania. They missed the popularity window by a decade or more.
    Then Nelly. Ok, not really a Stern game, but their finger prints are all over it.
    Now things are looking more and more realistic that Kiss will be the next pin.

So, will Kiss sell well, or be the 3rd(ish) weak machine in a row?

I say ish because Mustang sales started slow, but I think more and more people are warming up to it and its gaining some steam. Walking Dead is borderline. The machine had such great potential. What timing to release that title, but Stern kind of crippled it without the full license and horrible voices. Now people are unloading it and selling them for much less than they should get.

Don't get me wrong, yes, each one of these titles will sell some and I am sure Kiss will sell more than the previous 2. But the mass appeal I don't think will be there. I would think Stern cant afford to keep making weak sellers.

#2 4 years ago

I am astounded that they have made Metallica and AC/DC and still not Iron Maiden (yeah i know there an old one called that ). Iron Maiden has so much more themes, artwork, concepts etc to make into a pinball machine, as opposed to metallica, ac/dc and kiss. Im not saying the themes to metallica and acdc havent been implemented to their best capability, its just that there is so much more going for with Iron Maiden.

But I guess it is because Iron maiden arent that big in the US.

#3 4 years ago

Stern or JPop's ?

#4 4 years ago

I am not mad at all.......This will insure a Vault edition is on its way. I think they purposely came out with these titles when they did in order to test the new system and make the move painless. They may be brighter than you think.

#5 4 years ago

Kiss if done right.. a nice pf like AC/DC/ or Metallica with atleast a decent rule set and eye popping artwork will sell extremely well... I didn't realize it was confirmed that they were next?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pins4me:

Walking Dead is borderline. The machine had such great potential. What timing to release that title, but Stern kind of crippled it without the full license and horrible voices. Now people are unloading it and selling them for much less than they should get.

I don't think Stern really cares about the secondary market. The Walking Dead is a hit for them is my guess. But yes Mustang and Wrestlemania are WEAK. Kiss seems weak as well but you never know. Iron Maiden would be a huge hit. It's amazing to me the lack of foresight they seem to have at times.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am not mad at all.......This will insure a Vault edition is on its way. I think they purposely came out with these titles when they did in order to test the new system and make the move painless. They may be brighter than you think.

Yeah, genius plan: design and build games that won't sell well.

#8 4 years ago

Unless anybody can provide specific sales figures on these titles, along with reports on expected sales vs. absolute sales, this thread is completely moot.

How do we know how these titles are selling? I know of three WWEs on route near me. And we don't know shit about how Nelly is selling vs. how they expected it to sell. I doubt anybody at Stern was expecting to move thousands of those.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Unless anybody can provide specific sales figures on these titles, along with reports on expected sales vs. absolute sales, this thread is completely moot.
    How do we know how these titles are selling? I know of three WWEs on route near me. And we don't know shit about how Nelly is selling vs. how they expected it to sell. I doubt anybody at Stern was expecting to move thousands of those.

I agree none of us on this forum know true sales figures, but listening to how much pop a game gets tells a lot.

#10 4 years ago

3 things for me to consider buying a Kiss (if it comes out)

1. Price
    2. Code development
    2. Must be early music before the disco crap started

#11 4 years ago

I'm as about as interested in a Kiss as I was WWE and Mustang. Not at all. I will say that of the three, Kiss is more interesting, at least I used to listen to their music.

#12 4 years ago

How can there possibly be a discussion about the game and if it will sell well if no one has even seen it yet, much less played it? Or are even sure it is next....

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

How can there possibly be a discussion about the game and if it will.sell well if no one has even seen it yet, much less played it? Or are even sure it is next.m.

If I had to guess?

Speculation due to info drought on anything from anyone right now.

#14 4 years ago

If it is about as good as AC/DC and Metallica...and with great original art like the first KISS game -- I think it will sell just fine. Might even sell better than fine.

I am not a huge KISS fan, but I love music and if the machine brings even half the intensity of a live KISS concert, I will be very tempted to buy one.

#15 4 years ago

Any music pin with a good rule set will eventually sell well. The problem is no one will pre-order because they know how long stern takes to complete the rules and code.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

I am astounded that they have made Metallica and AC/DC and still not Iron Maiden (yeah i know there an old one called that ). Iron Maiden has so much more themes, artwork, concepts etc to make into a pinball machine, as opposed to Metallica, ac/dc and kiss. Im not saying the themes to Metallica and acdc havent been implemented to their best capability, its just that there is so much more going for with Iron Maiden.

It is possible Iron Maiden doesn't want their brand on a pinball machine - or they are asking too much for the license.

Gene Simmons will sign off a KISS license on pretty much anything. He actively seeks these things. Want to make a KISS tampon? He'd probably let you as long as he got his money.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

that why they sell out every show they perform here?

Quoted from seven:

It is possible Iron Maiden doesn't want their brand on a pinball machine - or they are asking too much for the license.

..or they haven't even been asked yet.

#18 4 years ago

Nellie is not a regular Stern game....it's a boutique pin made in partnership. They are not being made in normal Stern quantities and there will be no surplus surprises here. No reason for OP to even bring it up.

TWD is selling just fine (not my favorite), so I'm not sure why it was brought up. The fact that they brought out a Premium after the fact shows the the LE sold out quick. Lyman has said, even with it's incomplete code, it's performing well on location.

Wrong facts, wrong conclusions.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pins4me:

So, will Kiss sell well, or be the 3rd(ish) weak machine in a row?

They will sell for 3 weeks in a row.

#20 4 years ago

I don't think they've had a weak seller.

With reruns of the title, later maybe a vault edition. Things seem to be going good.

LTG : )™

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Also has Kiss even been confirmed as the next Stern? Maybe I missed the announcement, but I can't imagine missing an announcement that big.

#22 4 years ago

You people are crazy as hell if you buy another Stern game with incomplete code.

#23 4 years ago

Start a poll.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't think they've had a weak seller.
    With reruns of the title, later maybe a vault edition. Things seem to be going good.
    LTG : )™

You must see something I don't.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Also has Kiss even been confirmed as the next Stern? Maybe I missed the announcement, but I can't imagine missing an announcement that big.

KISS has been confirmed as the next game immediately after the release of every Stern title over the past 4 years.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You people are crazy as hell if you buy another Stern game with incomplete code.

I think they confirmed they were crazy after they paid the hefty prices Stern has been pushing the last few years (especially the prices of the LE's).

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

KISS has been confirmed as the next game immediately after the release of every Stern title over the past 4 years.

No, no it hasn't actually.

#28 4 years ago

I love the fact Stern is making games that I have ZERO desire to purchase. My Investment account is looking better by the day.

Pinball Circus is a maybe for me when and if they can sell the for a reasonable price. The Hobbit could be great but I think there will be plenty of those on the secondary market for sale.

Its nice to have a break in the "gotta get the next game" thing...

As Always YMMV

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

If it is about as good as AC/DC and Metallica...and with great original art like the first KISS game -- I think it will sell just fine. Might even sell better than fine.
    I am not a huge KISS fan, but I love music and if the machine brings even half the intensity of a live KISS concert, I will be very tempted to buy one.

Same here. Not a huge KISS fan, but I do like a lot of their early music. Build a solid game and I'd buy it in a heart beat. Still waiting for TWD and ST to become the game they can be before I buy. I waited and bought an Xmen LE after the code was complete, best worst game ever.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

I love the fact Stern is making games that I have ZERO desire to purchase.

Amen.

#31 4 years ago

There is a certain small percentage of people who would by a KISS machine even if it sucks, but beyond that it would have to be really, really good to sell more than Mustang or WWE.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Moo ?

moo-1.gif

#33 4 years ago

I don't know why everybody thinks that Iron Maiden would be a big hit. So many people outright hate metal. Far more than enjoy it. On top of the music genre, the art isn't a super great fit for many others.

#34 4 years ago

Maiden would be Epic , Eddie's LE !

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I don't know why everybody thinks that Iron Maiden would be a big hit. So many people outright hate metal. Far more than enjoy it. On top of the music genre, the art isn't a super great fit for many others.

People said the same thing about metallica...

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

People said the same thing about Metallica...

Metallica is far more friendly to the mainstream than Iron Maiden happens to be. Even Metallica has 2-3 songs that pretty much everybody can handle, even if they generally dislike Metallica's music.

#37 4 years ago

I'm waiting for the Hootie and the Blowfish pin. That would be epic!

#38 4 years ago

I heard from a very reliable source that Kiss is going back one pin and they're releasing Game of Thrones next.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Pretty sure every single one of these arguments is refuted with the success of Metallica.

I'm not even a huge Maiden fan but I can see the parallels. Except with more international appeal.

And Maiden's artwork is a huge reason for their success - without Eddie we'd probably have never heard of em.

Quoted from jar155:

Metallica is far more friendly to the mainstream than Iron Maiden happens to be. Even Metallica has 2-3 songs that pretty much everybody can handle, even if they generally dislike Metallica's music.

Maiden's international appeal is huge. And they are pretty "mainstream" as far as metal goes - you think metal you think Maiden. The Maiden section of Hot Topic has got to be at least as big as Metallica's.

I think you are underestimating the similarities a Maiden/Metallica pin have.

And Metallica has ONE song everybody knows (Enter Sandman). It's not like they are the beatles and "everybody knows their songs" isn't the reason the pin got made. Maiden's got Run to the Hills.

#40 4 years ago

Taylor Swift has a new video on youtube with 750,000,000+ watches. Maybe Stern should go country?

#41 4 years ago

Come on now, T Swizzle's not country anymore!

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Taylor Swift has a new video on youtube with 750,000,000+ watches. Maybe Stern should go country?

i upvoted your post cause u funny... but i am definitely not upvoting country

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I don't think Stern really cares about the secondary market. The Walking Dead is a hit for them is my guess. But yes Mustang and Wrestlemania are WEAK. Kiss seems weak as well but you never know. Iron Maiden would be a huge hit. It's amazing to me the lack of foresight they seem to have at times.

Hey man, I pushed for Jaws til I was hoarse.

They know better I see.

I (we) have great title ideas, but Stern, she no-a leeson'!!

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

#45 4 years ago

Hey I was only joking. On the other hand I would rather look at a Taylor Swift machine in my gameroom than KISS. Of course that is not saying much.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

There is a certain small percentage of people who would by a KISS machine even if it sucks, but beyond that it would have to be really, really good to sell more than Mustang or WWE.

I dunno what the percentage of people are who would be hard pressed to buy a KISS machine no matter what, but pretty sure I'm in that group. I'm not an ACDC fan, but I wouldn't mind having their game. They're a credible band, even if you're not a real fan. I had a Razor's Edge cassette as a kid, that's about it as far as my exposure goes though. But KISS? Just too corny and cheesy to even want to look at it in my garage. They have a really strong brand, but that's a blessing and a curse, in that it probably generates strong feelings, positive and negative. To me they're just a gimmick and a marketing engine, nothing I'd ever want to constantly look at.

I dunno, maybe I'm the wrong age at 37.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Hey I was only joking. On the other hand I would rather look at a Taylor Swift machine in my gameroom than KISS. Of course that is not saying much.

Ok, I will def thumbs up you on that.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from seven:

I'm waiting for the Hootie and the Blowfish pin. That would be epic!

"Dolphins make me cry" Multiball would be epic.

#49 4 years ago

I bet a Nirvana pin would be hot.

And a hip-hop pin would be really cool too! Please don't flame about the validity of hip-hop as an art form. I know, I know, some people love it, most people hate it. I used to love it and now I hate it and I feel like a grumpy old man, telling kids to get off my lawn with their A$AP Whatevers.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

And a hip-hop pin would be really cool too! Please don't flame about the validity of hip-hop as an art form. I know, I know, some people love it, most people hate it. I used to love it and now I hate it and I feel like a grumpy old man, telling kids to get off my lawn with their A$AP Whatevers.

I made a pretty good pitch for a Wu Tang pin once I think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 89.99
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 95.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 259.99
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    There are 231 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside