9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I hope to play PotC again, the jury is still out for me. Not saying that I don't like it but have not formed an opinion after watching the videos and playing a handful of games. I know a lot of owners swear it's the best pin ever but I'm not convinced the videos are not all that compelling to me just seems confusing.

I felt exactly the same way. While I enjoyed and watched many of the streams, it sorta spoiled the 'new factor'.

I didn't LOVE the theme. Once I had some time on a machine though... HOOKED.

9 months later
#533 4 years ago

I'd certainly like to hear the most important reasons JJP cut production short (Wonka politics, BOM, assembly line mutiny) but I'll bet it was profit/game and lower-than-expected demand (at the time). After the delays, and after watching many many streams, and infinite availability, I had decided to wait for Black Knight and Elvira, etc. It was only when Jack stated he was stopping production at TPF, that I panicked along with everyone else and most of the LE inventory poofed.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its my understanding that wire forms are still unobtainable !

I've been waiting for shooter lane wireform. The piece that screws down was welded in the wrong spot and the ball hits it on plunge. It does work at least, and I can still play thankfully, but my game shipped with an extra-difficult (random!) skill shot.

3 weeks later
#647 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This adhoc "tell your dealer you want one" is not going to make this happen.
I feel certain dealers field calls all the time_ from people asking for POTC. So more of that isn't going to do the trick.
What we need is a centralized list of committed buyers in one place, in one list.

zaphX is right and they won't make more POTC until the day JJP announces "we're building more units based on demand by x/y/z date, contact your distributor to get on the list and place deposit". And if we're dreaming, the new units should feature some compelling improvements (trunk mod, new cabinet art, etc.) in a Black Pearl edition.

#754 3 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Supporting this statement. My CE potc had a scratched backglass out of the box. Multiple emails and attempted phone calls to get a replacement and i still have a scratched backglass. And were talking over a year of attempting to get this resolved. I finally gave up.
And to put my .02 cents. Honestly Mine is Bolted to the floor. Its easily my favorite of my 13 game collection. And the path that JJP seems to be going down. Stripped down games in comparison. I dont see the them buying the parts again and going back to this game. They clearly dont have many left over parts even for support of this game let alone to do another run.

Same story here - scratched backglass... AND my shooter lane wireform is messed up making skill shots entirely random. Apparently this was a common issue and JJP shipped all backups to other owners... But thanks to successful experiments from zaphX and Yelobird , I just bought a set of metal files...

It's CRAZY but I'm getting better support from Dutch Pinball. Seriously.

#757 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Where's my Harry Potter Joe?
Please put me down for Harry Potter JJP wait list.
Better yet, Joe I have Jacks number on my phone, we can 3 way talk about the move to chicago during covid, loosing employees, delay getting playfields right. Then we can laugh about how long before we can even have a show again to display the New game.
More and more looking like expo is a dream in oct too.
Hey, no one more than Me wants JJP to succeed and build more games. But realistically gang, 2020 as we inch towards june is becoming a wash.

In MY perfect world, we'd see a professional (rehearsed, produced) launch video showcasing the new GNR game features and selling points.
They'd ask for questions. THEN, we'd get a live stream with Eric and Joe and Keefer (good players!) showing how it's played AND answering FAQ.
THEN take my deposit money.

#865 3 years ago

With all of this banter back and forth, I'm still left wondering what the actual opportunity for JJP might be... I'd really like to see them remake but it's hard to imagine the same hype driving presales of an unseen R&M (before epidemic) can match the reality of POTC (after epidemic).

I think we'll need to wait a few more months for the economy to settle for any real clarity. Although government has printed $4T to prop things up, it won't last long. Values of pinball games are propped up by resale value. I'd have a much MUCH harder time buying $7k+ games if I thought I couldn't resell and recoup most of my money (if trouble hits...).

Here are my from-ass-estimates of demand TODAY (prior to an economic recession):
100 units @ $15,000 - there are enough rich comfortable pinheads to sell 100 of anything (see Elvira SE)
250 units @ $12,500 - it may be the GOAT, but to even reach 250, I think they'd need to say final/last opportunity and add a few enhancements (chest mod, Lior mods)
<500 units @ $9500 - I'm less certain about this considering the volume from Chicago Gaming... I mean, if they could sell 1000 of MBr, then you'd like to think POTC would sell 5000... but our community must be too small.

#884 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was told that it is not currently a factor, but have no way of verifying.
Guessing someone that has better sleuthing skills could figure out when the license started and how long it runs for. Guessing that they can be extended as needed also. (also guessing that Disney would be happy to take extra fees at this time as they appear to be struggling a bit in Covid world)

At TPF, Jack said they had 3 years remaining on the current license. Getting that lame cereal-box-class license extended should be trivial as well.

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Like everyone, I can only speculate if they will make more, but the idea that there is easy money to be made since they've already sunk costs into the design, etc. is not how well run companies think. It's all about maximizing return-on-investment.

The point here is the development of a game costs a million (sunk cost). Maximizing sales of that game at the highest possible price is how you maximize ROI in this business.

It's hard to see how restarting and moving the established company, firing some of the most valuable and knowledgeable staff is a pure ROI move. It sounds like the rich investor loves pinball, has someone other that Jack convincing him to do stuff, and is pushing for more new games. If I owned the company and had plenty of spare money, I'd absolutely prioritize new games (for me!) too.

#928 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Hard to say but everything I’ve ever heard is Disney is a real PITA to deal with on licensing even though they do license many things. No way to know for sure.

Disney were previously difficult. Things are easier now. And it depends on the license. Unfortunately (or fortunately at this point), the JJP POTC license is bare-bones and involves very little (limited access to assets, actors, etc.).

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They had to get approval from every character on the game, art in pf, cabinet, and on the video display. Being that there is 20+ I’m sure it wasn’t easy, they mentioned this is one of their very first streams of the game.

If this was "from" and not "for" each character, I'd expect them to leverage the Black Pearl ship or something for any art changes.
But either way, they've already got those approvals if they want an extension on existing assets.

4 months later
#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This was spotted in a news interview.
[quoted image]

JJP has a POTC in their break area. Cool.

1 year later
#1351 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Not to mention Disney would probably never re-license it with Johnny Depp on it.

Should be easy to re-license. No actors. No movie scenes (with actors?).
Frankly, I REALLY hope JJP didn't pay much for that license. The game would lose very little if a few things were changed and renamed Black Rose 2.

#1355 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Every actor's face is all over the game, they just don't appear in the video clips. There was an interview with Jack where he mentioned that Chow Yun-Fat would not grant them his license, so his character was not included in the game. It sounds like there was at least some licensing involved with each individual actor.

Gotcha. Well, I stand by my comment that the character pictures/names add little to the game and so I hope they didn't pay too much. The JJP guys did a great job with the onscreen visuals considering the limited assets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=reznnate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.