9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

People need to just click on the collections of those defenders that "the game will never get made", "it will be 12.5 k if it does", etc...
It is laughably predictable.

I wouldn't doubt it gets remade at some point in the future with JJPs history of re-releases, but I think there is just about 0 chance it is re-released at a $8500 / $9500 price point. It wasn't worth it to them to continue to sell the game at those price points before and they would be leaving a lot of money at the table for a re-release if they did and they know that. If it is re-released it will be a new "limited" version around the WOZYBR price point, that's really the only way it makes sense for them to go back to that well, especially with GNR backed up and the next game farther along because of the delay and a factory move, not to mention a pandemic that has shut everything down for the immediate future and has the economy in questionable status at best. Plus the game was a PITA for them to produce, expensive and they don't have the parts to make more. That all costs money and JJP needs money, especially now. They aren't going back to the Pirates well for status quo dollars that they deemed weren't acceptable in good times when they have new titles they need to sell as soon as things open back up.

I have a Pirates, but I paid less than NIB pricing for mine, so I don't care if they are re-released from a financial standpoint. From a pinball lovers perspective, I would like to see people have a chance to see how awesome the game really is and would love to have parts available to buy in the future too.

#766 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If you want a JJPOTC, it is probably best to buy an existing HUO one now. That means spending the bucks. The market currently requires a $3k to $5k premium. Not unlike the $2k to $3k premium that a R&M takes to pry one out of someone’s hands. The premium is 1) to guarantee you will get one and 2) to get it you soon.

If someone wants a JJP Pirates now they should jump on this and save themselves $3,000 over an LE. Not often you see a JJP Pirates for under $10k.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-pirates-of-the-caribbean-se-hou

#869 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I don't think anybody is 100% certain of anything. Over a long enough period of time if demand stays high and keeps rising someone will make more. Look at mm. That took around two decades and ended up costing about double it's prior nib price though...

Maybe. Look at a game like Tron. Super basic, low BOM and the resale market is ridiculous for it. Stern could have re-run that multiples times by now and sold lots of them, way more than a GOT or third time around AC/DC vault but they haven't. Why? Disney Licensing (same as Pirates)? Something else? There has to be a reason because the cash is just sitting there and is currently being collected by everyone who sells a "modded Pro" for crazy dollars now a days. I can understand not doing LOTR since it is the Whitestar board set and has a bigger BOM, but Tron is an absolute no brainer. Disney even has the Tron coaster coming out next year at WDW so they should have at least some motivation to pump the license if given the opportunity, yet everyone waiting for that re-run is still waiting.

#934 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They had to get approval from every character on the game, art in pf, cabinet, and on the video display. Being that there is 20+ I’m sure it wasn’t easy, they mentioned this is one of their very first streams of the game.

Eric also mentioned in his last stream that that was the reason that Sao Feng isn't in the game at all despite being a bigger character than say Marty or Scrum. He said that Chow Yun-Fat wouldn't allow it no matter what, dollars didn't matter so it was a no go. I can't imagine having to deal with the rights and agents for 22 different actors who all have different dollar requirements and/or expectations for something like this.

#988 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Reality is that months of games at 12-12.5k sitting prior to sell are not wrong by 2 claimed sales in the past week at 15k of LEs and SEs taking a while to sell at 9.5k.

The reason that Pirates SE didn't sell instantly is he wanted a local buyer, cash on the glass. That eliminates a huge percentage of buyers that aren't local and/or that don't have $9,500 cash accessible without putting it on a credit card through Paypal. He said he had 15 offers to ship the game and some even for more than asking price, but didn't want to ship. All that said, it still sold in under a week to the specific kind of buyer he was looking for. I wouldn't consider that "taking a while to sell".

jjpse (resized).JPGjjpse (resized).JPG
1 month later
#1072 3 years ago

If this is true, probably doesn't bode well for more JJP Pirates from a Disney perspective. Looks like Johnny Depp is still out...

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1139941-christina-hodson-margot-robbie-reunite-for-new-pirates-of-the-caribbean

3 weeks later
#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Simple economics. Used Pirates LE selling $12,500-$15,000. New Pirates LE special edition could sell for $11,500. Only question is demand. I can tell you that I would be an immediate buyer.

Right. JJP is now selling the WOZ YBR version for $11.5 with a stripped out monkey mech. WOZ was originally $6,500 for early adapters and now that price has almost doubled for WOZ in 7 years and now you get less for it. If, and that is a big if, they do another run of Pirates there is 0 chance that the price on it will be $9,500 as it was originally and there is a decent chance that they remove a feature for price/reliability purposes.

With all the distancing Disney is doing from Johnny Depp, even after it seems the abuse allegations were fabricated, and apparently moving forward with Margot Robbie as the lead character in future Pirates movies, I seriously doubt if Disney would license more pins with his mug all over them anyway at this point.

#1088 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I truly don’t know anything about how pinball licensing works. However, wouldn’t the original license most likely cover a few years to give them flexibility for sales? I know it’s Disney but would Disney really limit it to a couple years?

I don't either, but Disney is pretty powerful. I believe the license was for 3 years, who knows when that time started or if that is totally accurate. Even if JJP technically *could* re-release more Pirates, if Disney says that they would rather they not do it I'm sure JJP would listen. If Disney came back and said go ahead, you *could* make more...but we rather you don't and if you do we probably won't be as willing to deal with you in the future, I would doubt they would want to risk that relationship. Kinda like the wife telling you, "Go ahead, go out with your friends..." She is technically giving you approval, but you know that is not what she is saying and that it isn't going to end there.

#1097 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Can anyone recall the last pin not re-manufactured due to license issues?
I remember people going on and on about how Monster Bash could never be remade for this particular reason but I think we all know the truth of that today.

Monster Bash and the universal monsters would be the one that comes to mind as you said. I guess if there is a second story about difficult licensing that comes to mind, it would be for JJP Pirates. Apparently in addition to negotiating with Disney they had to talk to each of the individual actors agents and get approval from them. That's why the mode scenes don't show any of the actor's faces or their audio and that's why Sao Feng played by the actor Chow Yun Fat isn't even in the game because he wouldn't allow it at any price.

#1101 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Boils down to this-
Current potc owners constantly say no way more are being made, and if they do make more it will reduce its mystique. Basically they just don’t want their game to lose value, and that’s all they really care about.
People without the game want more made so we don’t have to pay the ridiculous inflated prices that potc has brought in.
I say if another run of 300-500 would profit jjp, and service the customers demand, then why wouldn’t they do another run? People shouldn’t buy a game with intention to make a profit, but rather because they want to own the game. I hope jjp does make more. They may not until after gnr is in production, but I think the demand is there to sell a quick few hundred games with little effort on jjp part. I went through the same thing owning my AC/DC premium before the vault was announced. I didn’t sell for a profit, but still own it. Guess what, I’m ok!! My game isn’t as valuable as it once was, but I can still get a fair price out of it. Again, I’m ok and I’m happy others were able to get a nib AC/DC and enjoy a great game.

I don't care if they re-run them, I didn't pay a premium for mine and I am not selling mine either. I've got my spare NOS playfield, mini playfield, boat motor, plastics set, decal set, ramp decal set and cabinet decal set. I could practically build another game at this point. I'm in it for the long haul.

I honestly think there has to be a good reason why they stopped production and haven't done or even announced a re-run yet. Same situation with Stern and Tron. The BOM on that game is nothing. Pros go for crazy money for that stripped down game and they could make a bunch for cheap and sell them...but they don't. They know they could so there has to be another reason. Is it out of their control? Both are Disney properties that Disney isn't super hot on right now, is that the reason or is it something else? Who knows...

#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I’ve been in the school of there’s gonna be more for a long time. I sold my LE in part because I was convinced, especially after talking to Jack himself. Times change. Jack is saying, never mind more than never say never, at this point. Just today I was getting a part for my game(they exist!) and asked tech support. No way, ever, was the answer. But if I’m JJP, and have some downtime between runs of GNR and Toy Story, why wouldn’t I make more games? They could sell 500-1000 more imo. Jack also thought they should have run that many more to begin with. It’s possible that Disney might be the rate limiting step. It appears Universal and MGM are easier to work with. But JJP is frankly too busy moving, setting up, and planning production for future games. A “vault” line like Stern seems likely to me if they are successful with their next couple of machines. Let me make something up: they will negotiate more rights as they navigate content issues with Disney over Toy Story.

What part were you picking up? I think I have bought every part that was...and some that weren't publicly available. If it exists and I don't have it, I would be interested in potentially grabbing one too.

1 month later
#1161 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Oh. I thought he was agreeing to take the bet to make $100 by taking the opposite stance.
This is complicated.

It isn't that complicated. He was just agreeing to take the bet that a new JJP game would be released by the end of the year with that gif. He obviously has insider knowledge so it's a safe bet that a new JJP game is revealed by the end of the year now or he's out $100. The bet terms were, "$100 says no new title..." so if it was POTC he would lose the bet as POTC isn't new...so it isn't that game. Using the Barbossa gif was just a fun way to do it with hopefully a nod to the code update being announced soon as well.

#1163 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I took it as Keith agreeing that no *new* title would be shipped this year. Who knows, though.

Keith was agreeing to the bet, taking the opposite stance of smalltownguy2. As an employee of JJP, if Keith knew that no new games were going to be released this year, he would never publicly say that, especially on a pinball forum. He would catch hell from JJP for a move like that.

The previous post was this...and then people were lining up to take that bet.
post (resized).JPGpost (resized).JPG

#1171 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

But it's so simple. Keith posted Barbossa saying "agreed" which clearly means that there is no new title before the year's end. However, a clever man would realise that Barbossa was a character in POTC, so only a fool would deny that the next game is POTC. But Keith must have known that in the movies, Barbossa has a pistol, and we all know that a pistol is a type of gun, so, clearly, the next game must be Guns and Roses. Nevertheless, Keith knows that Pinside is not populated by fools, so he must have suspected that we would know that Barbossa was carrying a pistol, so the next game must be Toy Story...

inconceivable (resized).jpginconceivable (resized).jpg
4 months later
#1288 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wow there are 12 POTC for sale on the market board, a couple of them are pending sale but more were listed today pretty crazy. I guess everyone’s just cashing in unless someone knows something I don’t?

It's just people cashing in for crazy money if they can. A handful of Pinside people crazy enough to drop $20k on a JJP POTC is not reason enough to re-run the game. They just had to do a price increase to quell demand and hold deposits for GNR since they are so backed up, they have their hands full already. No way they intentionally slow down a hit game with full buy in from the GNR that they have on the line and all the parts for, to instead restart a complicated, widebody game (which they don't do anymore) with unique parts, an expensive BOM and a now out of the mainstream theme that features an actor that is persona non-grata at Disney. Not to mention Toy Story is right around the corner which will consume them again when it is launched.

#1290 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Absolutely but didn’t they say they want to ramp up production in general .I had thought JJP said they want 2 pins a year and to do that they’ll need to fill with short runs in between not every pin will sell like GnR.Just saying won’t happen this year but you never know .I really want one bad but can’t take the risk of a re run then getting stuck without a chair when the music stops .

They want to get to that point, but I don't think they are there yet. With Covid throwing a wrench in everything and their move, they can't keep up on a single line. If they could ramp up two production lines, they could run GNR on both to reduce the several month wait time. With Toy Story around the corner and demand so backed up on GNR there isn't any room for a one off, especially a one off that breaks the mold in so many ways like POTC does. Outside of the pinball fanatics, the general public doesn't care about a POTC pin, they already proved that years ago when the property was more current than it is now and sales were lackluster. It wouldn't sell in mass quantity to the public and I don't think several Pinsiders with deep pockets is enough to drop a hot game and/or your next title on deck and go back to a widebody pin with all the issues, parts, licensing woes and lackluster sales that they had before no matter how good the game actually is. Not to mention the Disney POTC property as we know it with Johnny Depp and Jack Sparrow is dead in the water now, they want nothing to do with him anymore. Even if they could do another round of POTC with their current license, I doubt Disney would be super excited about that all things considered and with Toy Story next up, I'm not sure how much they would want to rock the boat with Disney since they own that property too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=lesmanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.