9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#176 4 years ago

Let's recap things Jack has said in public on record...

- They made 1000 POTC games
- They *can* make more POTC next year - (not blocked by expiring license, etc)
- Will they? He's been pro towards it, but not committal

My speculation? POTC got to be too expensive of a project, and sales forecasts were weak. So rather invest in the next batch of parts, the investor said "nope, table it, move onto Wonka ASAP"

- No one at TPF seemed happy about POTC ending 'early'
-They were adamant they were going to ship games very quickly after announcement and the noise was the main line was already cutting over to the new game. They intended to ship YBR within 2 weeks. This was proclaimed as the new way.. vs the perpetual delays
- When Wonka actually went public, the shipping window changed to 'within 60 days'. For those keeping track.. that was 69 days ago.
- They chose to launch Wonka near Pat's shop.. even without Jack and the investor family did the introduction.

These things together are what make me believe it was a 'forced decision' to move onto Wonka vs invest in another batch of POTC production. And Wonka was supposed to be 'done' and ready with much anticipation.

But we're back to same old same old... no games. POTC seems to be an option to build... its just if they can make it worth it to themselves.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Not rerunning the title would have its jjp benefits as well. The game would show up going for X dollars a lot, then have people talking about it more. Look how much posting has been with the limited nature of the game. Its the type of game that has a reputation and would be a neat outlier in the JJP library.

Neat doesn’t pay the bills tho.... sales do

#320 4 years ago

Jack already stated in public licensing would not prevent him from re running more pirates after wonka next year.

Chose to believe him or not.

10 months later
#784 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At this point I don't see how JJP doesn't make more Pirates. They need a game that they know has demand and will sell. That's Pirates. All they need to do is complete the code, and put a cool trailer out to relaunch the game.

And set a price that makes them enough money....
And sell enough volume to make the title worth it verse an alternative...

The existing sales helps the hype... but also beats yourself on the potential sales volume... as does the necessary price point.

If you had another game that had more margin, could sell more without competing against itself... then it would make more sense to build THAT game... not pirates.

And that's how we Got wonka....

If you believe in the success of your newer game... pirates is not an attractive proposition. It is however if you don't have something You Think will succeed

#805 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thx. So 2 selling at 12k in the last month after they were advertised for a month.
1 sold at 15k by you.
Appreciate the data point. From what I see, your sale is the odd man out currently.
Maybe the price of these shot up 3k in the past week? I am guessing one rich dude that was bored and you were the right time and spot.
Considering there are multiple other examples on the market that are sitting currently at 12.5 asking... I think the market on these is pretty clear currently.

LE sold here for 12.5k in just days just before the storm hit.

When will you stop acting like the omni-present force in the pinball market?

#886 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

(also guessing that Disney would be happy to take extra fees at this time as they appear to be struggling a bit in Covid world)

Disney was losing 500 million a WEEK due to domestic park closures... you think some JJP royalties are going to grab their eye?

#904 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think his point is that with losses Disney may be less likely to reject the license extension request. But who knows...

Rich people don't start thinking like poor people because they found a penny on the ground.. Insignificant scales are still insignificant even in a crisis.

#911 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I don’t get the argument that the royalties are too insignificant for Disney to extend the license if that is needed. Why license in the first place then?

Not really the discussion. It's not that Disney is financially against it... it's that there really isn't some magically significant incentive to make it happen.

Point being just because it's 'some money' doesn't mean it's necessarily enough to overcome any other possible objections. I really doubt Disney is the stick in the mud on this one anyways. But the idea that Disney will get a 5-6 digit sum is going to make them to pop up and pivot.. not really a factor IMO.

This is all about JJP's opportunity costs analysis...

1 month later
#1058 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No news about more POTC being made in the new JJP podcast that has the owner on. Based on what Brett said Pirates should be a "phase 2" game which he said JJP is still in and that they are going to phase 3. Not sure what that means but if they are in phase 2 it sounds like Pirates could still be remade. Also, the new factory is now complete according to Brett.
https://jjppodcast.libsyn.com/ep-1-jjp-owner-brett-abess?fbclid=IwAR3YlLVeAZvqgVM3VJSkmQgY_VlfnqdTXSMNX8GEGc887J3Ur5jkT5mR8

He was really talking about the company's product maturity and ambitions... not what games are candidates to be made.

But I think he made it pretty clear... if you want more POTC - send your love letters to him - no one else.

#1059 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This has been my view. They are running this as a business and should be producing games that net them the largest margins so that they can fund future games, not satisfy a few hundred people at lower margins. If they run POTC again, they will need to raise the price substantially and/or find a way to reduce costs. I have my doubts it will ever be rerun. Is the license an issue? It could also be that once people see GnR and TS, they will forget all about POTC.

I'm of the opinion that is exactly why they stopped POTC... low margins and believing 'once you see wonka you'll forget all about POTC...' - but we saw how that actually went.

#1065 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Keith Johnson said exactly why they stopped production on the “Bro do you pinball” podcast: the whinging over the triple spinning disc removal led to lesser presales, which lowered projections and lost them the margins on large parts orders, game became unsustainable. Then Wonka came around the corner and they went full in on that game

Same thing?

Low Margin build vs the new hotness that would otherwise be competing with said low margin build.

The low margin is what makes the game high risk vs the opportunity gain of selling another game with higher margins and (you think) higher demand.

JJP was living so thin they can't even be bothered to stock a service/parts department inventory for the game they just freaking built.

Demand was already looking up by TPF when they announced YBR... but they wouldn't commit to the build. That means they either 1) don't believe the demand was enough/real or 2) Think they would be better off building another title.

Given the party line answers given around that time... I still put my money on #2

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.