9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheshirefilms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

zaphX is right and they won't make more POTC until the day JJP announces "we're building more units based on demand by x/y/z date, contact your distributor to get on the list and place deposit". And if we're dreaming, the new units should feature some compelling improvements (trunk mod, new cabinet art, etc.) in a Black Pearl edition.

Honestly I think it's show me the money at this point or why even try. Pay in full or darn close, deposit. Petitions burn, and honestly I don't think this happens anyways why go back to a place that wasn't good. They hated building this game in the factory. And now they need to invest in all the parts again based on a petition? No way.

#661 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Finally a voice of reason!

Not a disinterested voice. If one would think those with games don't want more to dilute the market and quash value appreciation- this member inherently would want more games out there. They make PoTC mods for those alleged new games.

Would I lose some value if it came back. Yes absolutely. But I just don't see how it will. For a number of reasons Ive already stated.

I mean if I were JJPs IP lawyer, and yes I am a lawyer, I'd tell them 'after playfield gate' to not return to Pirates unless I'm ready to greenlight full playfield swaps for the affected first 1000. Empty playfields have been enough to quiet the flash mob without new games. And that took a long time to actually achieve in and of itself.

#687 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Joe, The suggestion of "Contact your distributor" was Suggested by Eric M (JJP) and Keith (JJP) in their video submissions this past week. Nobody wants to bother you we are simply listening to the people that work at the company that makes the games.

What else could they reasonably say? It's like the pinball industry version of no comment.

2 months later
#1092 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, licensing is never a "maybe you can / maybe you can't" kind of deal (especially with Disney). I'm sure that JJP got POTC for a specific "window" that has likely already expired. Yes, they can try to negotiate an extension or such, but it will likely cost a lot (and Disney could easily be in a "we're-still-trying-to-decide-where-we-are-going-with-this-property" mode, and say "not right now").
It also could be that as a re-make, the reasonable number of units they could sell would be like 500. This means that the licensing cost has to be spread across only those units - making them very expensive.
So, it could easily be the case that JJP might WANT to make more POTC, but be unable to either because Disney won't allow the licensing, or that the cost of the license is just too high for a relatively small run of machines.
Now, what I COULD see happening is Disney licensing a "new" POTC property (i.e. with Margot Robbie instead of Depp) when/if the next movie becomes more solidified - and maybe at that point JJP could release an updated version with new artwork/audio that utilizes that new license. But that would likely be a ways off.

If you know the game you'd see the five original films are very tied in, so any remake would have to nix all the original modes and wizard modes and start anew. Suffice it to say, *that* won't happen.

#1100 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Boils down to this-
Current potc owners constantly say no way more are being made, and if they do make more it will reduce its mystique. Basically they just don’t want their game to lose value, and that’s all they really care about.
People without the game want more made so we don’t have to pay the ridiculous inflated prices that potc has brought in.
I say if another run of 300-500 would profit jjp, and service the customers demand, then why wouldn’t they do another run? People shouldn’t buy a game with intention to make a profit, but rather because they want to own the game. I hope jjp does make more. They may not until after gnr is in production, but I think the demand is there to sell a quick few hundred games with little effort on jjp part. I went through the same thing owning my AC/DC premium before the vault was announced. I didn’t sell for a profit, but still own it. Guess what, I’m ok!! My game isn’t as valuable as it once was, but I can still get a fair price out of it. Again, I’m ok and I’m happy others were able to get a nib AC/DC and enjoy a great game.

Its not about the appreciation in my eyes getting squashed upon a reissue that's for me the issue- not really.

No. The key issue is about what the original owners DIDNT get for the money they spent in the first place if a subsequent run with fixed playfields came out, even if they jacked the price a bit.

Look, if they re-run the game and JJP wants to send the first 1000 owners a populated fixed playfield to drop into their machines then I'd say its all fair-square.

I'll even put return to sender on the token empty one they sent that is under my bed.

#1108 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

At this rate, a run of POTC is more likely than GNR. Ha ha ha it’s been almost two months since a teaser video for what? Innovation?

At what rate. Lol. JJP just posted a birthday video for Slash. GnR is eventual, PoTC is never again or silence depending on which you believe. And it's not like they could 'officially' say PoTC never coming back. The question would be why. And if Disney licensing is then uttered and word gets back, especially if that IS the reason, they could then probably kiss the business relationship goodbye forever.

#1124 3 years ago

Or how about Tron. I bet tons of Stern fans would love it to come back as a Vault. But its Disney licensing- again.

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I guess that depends upon what you mean by "get away with". If you mean they could avoid the Disney licensing issues by doing a re-skin, then yes, they almost certainly could.
But would the 300-500 people who supposedly want a POTC remake be willing to shell out big bucks for a game featuring "Pirate John" and "Black Sails Ship"? That's not nearly so certain.

They'd have to also redo all the video and gameplay screen and animations, the avatars, everything. All traces of the movies characters and the license then start from scratch, for a limited re-run? This will not happen, dude.

#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If they're doing that, might as well see if they could apply a different license - something a little more economical and timely, perhaps. Doesn't have to be a pirate theme at all

Don't bet the farm or even a dollar. I don't think games conceived from scratch to be without licenses have done super well, be it Dialed In or Black Knight Sword of Rage. Plus the technical challenges of the game were a nightmare. I think they write this off under experimental on their taxes and don't look back.

1 month later
#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

For now we have to assume that JJP is done making more POTC's....... But that could change at any moment. JJP could (officialy) say something about making more / or / done making pirates, but offcourse they don't have to. As long as there's no statement from JJP, there's always a chance I guess........

There's always a chance even if they said never again and gave the reasons. That's how human brains work. Nothing's ever truly done so long as people continue to believe. Like that Walt Disney is in cryo sleep.

#1185 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m not losing any sleep about Potc it’d be nice if it was remade because I don’t think it got enough exposure before it was gone, almost like TBL or Alien in that regard.
But... I’m banging my head against the wall either because my last game purchased was SW premium comic which (to me) is a better theme, I like Potc movies but I love SW.
And
R&M which I’m getting in October and I’ll have some room and space for something else like Maiden or GNR.

PotC had plenty of exposure. People were unforgiving a-holes at the time when the chest close feature and triple disc got pulled.

1 week later
#1187 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's pretty harsh. How do you expect people to react when price is extremely high, long delays, and major features get removed with no compensation? People commented they were worried about huge depreciation and rightfully so. Excitement for the game was quickly heading south and there was zero indications this game would end up trading in the future for well over msrp.

I expect people to want to play the game for one's self first, rather than buy on spec and announcement like people often do for Stern. If you're worried on depreciation maybe pinball isn't the right investment. I bought it not expecting any of those features to come back, and I played it with those features at TPF, so I knew what was lost as a player and it wasn't the world. Anyways, there was time for the mad folks to play it before it went away. Lots just didn't. That's all I can say.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheshirefilms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=cheshirefilms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.