9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I wish one of the mod companies would make a Devil’s Triangle style mod for us SE owners. So far I’ve added the shaker motor, kraken and the dauntless mods. Going to keep making this game unique to me since I couldn’t find an LE

Have you tried reaching out to Matt at Backalley? He's the one that Made them for JJP. If anyone has them it would be him!

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Clearcoat job was fine (nice, actually). They just didn't let it cure long enough. It was still too soft on the layers underneath when they started bolting stuff to it.

Hate fueling speculation on something I know little about but I Wonder if the late in the game decision to opt for New playfields (no triple disk) propagated some of this issue and limited cure time? Seems like they have the playfields 6 months prior to line assembly (which they did) but this one I suspect threw them a curve.

3 weeks later
#404 4 years ago

Nov, and December build and not an issue granted I haven't made it my lifes mission to hunt for issues lol. We play the heck out of it and love it more each time. Only wish I played better...

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just checked out the "this week in pinball" with the interview with Jack from earlier in the month. Jack's comments were approximately: "well... we'd have to talk amongst ourselves to decide whether we make POTC again. There's a lot of stuff in that game.. I know there's a lot of demand, but we want to keep producing more games..."
wOw. First time I'd read /heard something that implies they really had a huge challenge with this game. Looking forward to owning it for years to come...

Couldn't agree more. Yes with the complexity of this game it will need more adjusting then a traditional game but to me it is More then worth it. Sadly I suspect Pirates has hit the end of the line and (just an opinion) with the viral press they are taking on I suspect they will just let this ship sail vs taking more blows to the bow. Hope I'm wrong though as I suspect it will be a Long time till we see another game of this caliber and the probability of this design dream team happening again is slim.

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

They should take the spinning disk out all together, maybe even the rocking playfield. That would cut costs and complexity out.

Yeah that idea worked Great for the monkey in WOZ! This title is all of its parts, the parts they already removed almost sunk it.

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Overstated like so many do but I respect you Yelo so I'm not arguing. POTC got a similar groundswell of love that DI got after it was out and people had a chance to actually play it rather than just watching streams. Then when Jack took the unusual step of announcing that once the orders in place were filled there would be no more production, there was more rush. People love the game and it gets simultaneously hammered from several directions. Maybe it's just the way things are going to be going forward I honestly don't know. Wonka is selling amazingly well right now - how long will that continue? I don't know that either. Hopefully for several weeks or months. I know that Eric is working hard on his next game so for now there are lots of things going on.

Hold up I suspect my comment was assumed out of context. You won’t Find a bigger fan or follower of POTC or Eric on this forum! I was simply saying suggestions to strip this beautiful game down to push JJP to make it again would not be received by the masses with love. They couldn’t get past a monkey so change is the last thing people want. Lol. This game is complete pinball Perfection top to bottom!

#425 4 years ago

No I know very well. I read over what I wrote and I think I should just stop writing posts altogether maybe. Love your stuff.

And we Love what you and your team do!!! Don't let the few haters sway your inspiration and direction!!!!!!

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

How about a better debate geared towards someone like YELOWBIRD... will more mods be made?
I want to see a shark and something with captain jack, more props to put onto the ships, maybe some skeleton pirates, c'mon you can do it!

Lol you Always make us smile! We are SOOO going to visit your awesome escape room soon count on it! As for Pirates I Do hope your right as this game Needs to be shared not collected. To awesome in my opinion. Comparing an Open ended WOZ license to a Disney contract is not exactly the same though... Especially with the scale of this game and its parts. Business is profit and sometimes things just don't equal out sadly. As for new things, Heck yeah you know we never stop just had a slight delay while we expanded the factory. Released the Devils Triangle just today in fact. Still on the fence with the shark though....lol

www.TheModCouplePinball.com

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
7 months later
#475 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

not sure why this significantly helps the case? Think about tron - last I checked no actor was in hot water yet that game continues to not be vaulted. There is only one reason. Disney. They are a pain in the ass. And that game is simple to make too. Another reason IJ will be very tough to redo.
No one knows for sure but there are a lot of boxes to be checked off on this one!

I believe the reason for speculation is because Currently (for a limited time) JJP still Has the license for POTC. Not so sure thats the case for Stern on Tron.

1 month later
#489 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Now that they have some time, I think they should re-engineer the opening-closing chest and the triple spinning disk. Then, when everything returns to normal, release a version of the game with these features at a premium price.
Of course, the opening-closing chest and triple spinning disk need to be backwards compatible and available for sale separately.
Whether or not this is possible or viable as a business strategy, however, is another matter.

Wow so many huge wishes. Sadly I don’t see any happening especially a backwards compatible triple disk. Would that kit come with an 8” hole saw? Lol.

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Chest using the servo I can see them doing. Triple disc? Nope. People that played both said it really didn't do much to the ball and the single disc is actually better.

Sorry I would have to disagree with that not only playing both versions but also Owning both. I get it, they Way over engineered a crazy new mech that blew the BOM out of the water and I do agree the direction change they were forced to make worked out great but it does Not compare to the engineers original disk design. That in my opinion was engineering genius! The ball went every direction including up and always unpredictable. Brilliantly. Still turned out to be an incredible game but to say that feature design was not superior would be off.

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Just happened upon this thread. About six months ago, a large distributor told me that POTC was pulled from the line due to a licensing issue. Further, that it was unlikely the issue would be resolved so there wouldn’t be any more games. I can’t state for a fact that this is true but the person who shared it is typically “in the know.” I’d love to own the game, but if the info is right, I can’t imagine JJP investing additional time in the code either.

They are working on the code and several have done beta testing as such. JJP nor Keith have ever left a game to die (like Munsters...) no matter how many sold. Every title they have done has taken often Years for them to refine the code to perfection, I would expect no less from them on this amazing title.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Im still not convinced.
He could just be talking about WoZ again. I know theres still some people out there me included that would like a RR WoZ NIB.
There were more major issues with POTC then just johnny Depp and licensing. Im sure it was a nightmare to build on the line. And also the amount of Tech support calls and faulty parts.
Im not rooting against it at all. I have CE im set. Im just not convinced.

I tend to agree. While I Sincerely wish they would make more as this game is absolutely amazing business sense would say otherwise. Before all this Covid stuff and the plant relocation I had hopes it could happen but it doesn't look probable. Unlike the other titles in there arsenal This one had an expensive license clock. They can rebake WOZ and DI (and possibly GNR) for as long as they wish and my guess is they will still find buyers. A pirates rerun would need a huge gamble of resources and capitol which I fear would not be in the cards now. Do love this game though.

#517 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Rather than asking yourselves whether JJP will make more POTC, I prefer to ask why didn’t JJP make more? JJP was producing the game and it was selling, yet they prematurity stopped production around the 1000 game mark. Why? Was it BOM, was the design susceptible to breaking, was it the cost to reup the license, was it a lack of desire to renew by licensor? We have never heard Jack mention why JJP stopped making it. Without knowing the why, we are left wondering. Why JJP quit running POTC holds the answer to whether JJP will consider running more. Some interviewer needs to ask Jack why?

I think this question would be better answered by Pat Lawler then Jack. Just my opinion and guess.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

How many runs has WOZ had? They are very reasonably priced on the used market. I think the demand for DI is also very soft, the game is not hard to find.
POTC is low hanging fruit IMHO as the game is already designed and the demand is there, it is JJP’s only game that sells for more than the original price on the used market. JJP could finish the LE run and even if they only sold 500 that is 5 million dollars (that’s a lot of cheddar).

I agree with everything you said Except the final tally. They would more than likely make closer to 500k than 5 million as the product has to be made. And then the Big question, while everyone does Want one, how many would step up and pay 11.5k for one now?

#526 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If they were profitable at $9,500 retail and sell 500 YBRs for $11,500, that's more like a pretty solid $1 million straight extra dough, PLUS whatever profit was in the machine at $9500, and all the R&D expenses are already flushed with the first run.
And I don't think 500 is all they'd sell. 500 more initially, but I bet they'd have a run or two after that to satisfy demand once people get hands on with it at shows.

Curious. Do you think the licensing for a 50 year old WOZ was the same or less for Disney Pirates? Do you really think they sold 500 YBR’s while stripping it of features to scratch a profit? And the big one, do you think now or the next six months 1000 people will be lined up to spend 12k on a re-release game? Hope they do but just not seeing it.

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I hear ya....a guy sold a loaded LE for almost $15K not to long ago, and that didnt have the dauntless mod

That’s kind of the key right there, “not to long ago”. Not to long ago you didn’t have to pay $10 for a roll of toilet paper and Wonder if your job or 401k would be there tomorrow. For a select few maybe but for JJP to roll the dice and capital on a 14k Maybe would be a foolish decision in this economy. Everyone wants to see new releases or even old ones back but few I suspect will be jumping to drop 10k plus on an unnecessary hobby purchase for Many months.

3 weeks later
#594 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Hmmmm This was posted by JJP today, I wonder why they are highlighting POTC with Eric streaming game play? Also note the Interesting comment by JJP to a question on their Instagram page.
[quoted image][quoted image]

In the stream he said he will be streaming all JJP games and the contact your distributor comment was to let them know and they would let JJP know how many serious buyers there could be. That’s honestly the strongest chance to see this game pushed forward. The distributors need to hear directly from hundreds of buyers so JJP can see the potential. Would love to see the LE’s back on the line.

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Couldn't it be that they want to start introducing the code to the public? What else do they have to do? They can't launch a new game

Don’t think so. He said clearly in the stream they are working on it but there is a longer delay now with a few projects in front of completion. Keith pretty much said the same in his interview last week. It will come, I have little to worry about when it comes to seeing final wizard modes. Lol.

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This isn't scientific by any means but based on weight alone The Hobbit playfield seems like a good 20 - 40 lbs heavier than Pirates, and Dialed In's maybe 10 - 20lbs heavier despite being a standard body game. When I looked at the underside of my Pirates it didn't seem as packed as Hobbit, Dialed In, especially with the triple disk mech removed. Now Pirates does have the Black Pearl mini playfield which is a huge mech and something you don't see when looking at the underside of the game. My point is that I think JJP could still sell Pirates at $9500 and make a profit with those heavier games being priced a bit lower.
Could JJP charge $10k - $12k and sell out a smaller WOZ Yellow Brick Road style run? Yes, easily. What I don't know is if Pirates would sell well again in large numbers. When JJP completes the code I suppose they could always use that time to announce a new run.

No sure how weight applies to a game value but Eric also answered that odd question in the video and Pirates was their heaviest game to date. Now we can pay by the pound. Weighing in at 395 I believe he said.

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I love how (besides Bud) there are a bunch of current owners trying to negative nancy this, lol.
Anyone interested should call your distributor and asked to be put on the list. Sounds more promising that it has in the past and you may want to be on that list (in case they do a set/limited additional run)

makes sense to me and I would assume 500 spots would fill quickly on that (assuming price is in line with normal pricing)

Have to agree. It’s a simple petition of sorts. If people would like to see it done just let your distributors know. A wish list of 500 or so would certainly get their attention.

#658 3 years ago

We assume they didn't make money on this title
We assume the BOM lost money
We assume it was hard to build
We assume the price must go up
We assume Pat L has Pirates on a forbidden list
We assume they can't get parts
And so on....

Has JJP directly made any of these facts that I missed? Does seem like there is a market/player interest. Why not just email a distributor and say put me on a list as "interested". Costs nothing and assuming the assumed might not be correct it Might actually happen?

#672 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Maybe I can put this to rest and save people a lot of aggravation... There is zero info on another POTC run provided from JJP to distributors.
I suspect the comments made wherever they were made were done in conversation such as if distributors ask for them that'll maybe put pressure on JJP to make more. Rest assured all distributors have been doing that for a few years on our own and as well for WOZ75. They know people want games we don't have.
Instructing customers to contact their distributor does nothing but get people's hopes up and why I'm answering emails and disappointing people all day by telling them 'no'. If there's an announcement to make the company will officially make one. Until then there is no reason to contact your distributor as we know nothing and there is no reason for us to take an interested list and give people false hopes, not what we want.
Glad everyone loves the game and wants them - trust me we'd love to sell a boatload of them ! : )
Joe

Joe, The suggestion of "Contact your distributor" was Suggested by Eric M (JJP) and Keith (JJP) in their video submissions this past week. Nobody wants to bother you we are simply listening to the people that work at the company that makes the games.

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Which has been said before by Jack many many times. It is his go to response when someone asks about a re-run. Then you get people like Whysnow that wanna be pinball insiders and start spinning information. That snowballs into a bunch of people wasting their time just so Whysnow can play pinball insider.

Do we need to see your collection again? lol

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

The truth is out...I don't want anyone else to own any model of POTC...including the shitty Stern game. They need to be all mine!
[quoted image]

Wow, I thought I was a hypocrite owning (2) POTC. Your just a hoarder!! lol

#718 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How exactly does one lose profit?
I just hope they are taking the time now that the parks are closed to get rid of that asinine Star Wars land.

Rather enjoyed Star Wars land as did my kids and grandkids. I’m sure there was something to hate but we didn’t find it.

#851 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hey theres a POTC for sale in the marketplace for $9500....there u go boys...put your money where your mouth is

That’s an SE no thanks...

#903 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I’d rather lose color changing GI than a cool mechanical feature of the game. All the inserts are rgb which I like purely for making it easier to understand shots. Although I believe the color GI changes based on the bonus you can select in the fly for completing the PIRATE lames. Maybe an LE owner can chime in in that one.

Correct, and for each chapter if it wants you to target say the Blue shots the GI signals the color you need to aim for.

4 weeks later
#1024 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Dreams are free....apparently this "mad hatter" theory to date has been proven correct....JJP hasn't stocked wire forms for POTC is almost a year....WOZ is a game they've made from day 1 so not a surprise they have parts.

What’s wrong with your wire form? I’d be willing to help you fix it no cost if you like. You can PM me if you like.

#1067 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I don't keep up with alot of JJP news, but is Toy Story gonna be a Lawlor game? With their new price structure of 7500/9500 on SE/LE, I could see myself grabbing one of those. Almost 20 years collecting games and never owned a Lawlor.

We don't officially know the Next game title or price. Knowing the Next Next game details would simply be rumor guessing in my opinion.

1 month later
#1096 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I don't "know" (which is why I said "likely"). Disney licenses are very expensive and are normally only for a couple of years at a time (which is exactly why there could be a JJP pirates after Stern's license for it expired).
Sure, JJP could have paid a fortune for a 5-year window, and then (stupidly) only made use of it for a short time, but that is not "likely". Odds are they got like a 2 year deal which has already completed.
Disney puts a very high premium on their properties (with good reason), and they are not easy to negotiate with. Their licenses normally come with many (and exacting) restrictions on when/how you can sell/market/use the property.
They aren't just going to say "Oh, you want to make some more...okay sure." Unless JJP negotiated some sort of re-release clause into the original contract (and that would be unusual), it won't be easy or cheap to get approval to build more.

You are correct in Likely as nobody Really knows. But in the JJP chat session with the team they did say they had the license for 3 years. That game was showcased to start sales on 10/19/2017 so if that statement was factual it would depend on When the clock started ticking...... I personally wish they would crank out another run as it truly is an Amazing game that all should enjoy no matter what it does to resale value. Eric simply hit that one Out of the park!!!

2 months later
#1194 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

There still might be a chance.....small chance.
[quoted image]

Or still not.

#1197 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This was spotted in a news interview.
[quoted image]

Sweet, a row of microwaves! Whens lunch?

#1218 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I still think an unlicensed pirate based retheme is the perfect solution here. Seems like a very simple swap.

Not so sure on that?? While not character faces, every video animation and voice in that game is Disney owned. Aside from the multiball animations they would basically have to remake EVERY inch of the game and code. Not so simple.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Hopefully no armed militia dressed as pirates will storm JJP and demand POTC be put back on the production line. Actually, would that work? LOL.

That likely would be the only way it would happen.

#1246 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I'm wondering if this machine was produced in such low numbers due to it being a technological nightmare?
AND/OR
They wanted to wait until they were out of danger from law suits due to the infamous crap Mirco clear coat debacle. Mean while they had to keep moving forward to stay alive. If the problem was the playfield debacle then I largely suspect JJP will make another run. If it's the technological nightmare theory then they'll wash their hands of it and never look back. LTG does a lot of support. He'd have an opinion I'd value on the tech matter.

Seriously doubt it had anything to do with playfield lawsuits. ALL the manufacturers had issue yet the world is still spinning.

#1248 3 years ago

Yes and the timeline is off for that theory too.

Truth be finally told. We (the POTC keepers of the CODA) keep Eric flush with microbrew beer so he Never considers making any more and our Precious will forever be the one that got away dream game. lol JK!!!

22222 (resized).jpg22222 (resized).jpg
#1257 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Disney is hurting right now. This would be a great time for JJP to take advantage and extend that POTC license. Plus Eric just became a full blown pin superstar with his second smash hit GnR. Hopefully he hears the cries for more POTC and wants more people to get to own it. I am sure he has some pull down there at this point. Lol.

Yeah I'm sure a few thousand dollars out of JJP will Save Disney! lol

Quoted from Jecco74:

I had two different Distributors tell me they are remaking it... Not sure if I believe them though... It doesn't make sense to me. If they stopped making it because they were losing money on it. Why would they start again???
I have an LE with an extra playfield. So I hope they don't remake it. If I ever decide to get rid of it I know I can get my money back and I paid a premium for it.
I don't plan on selling it because my wife loves POTC.

With comments like this it would be Great to start Naming the distributors making claims like this and I suspect the will stop doing it lol.

#1260 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Who said it would save Disney. Lol. Oh yeah you did. Since Disney is losing money at an alarming rate it would be a better time to negotiate a fair offer for licensing rights. No? Doubtful Disney would turn down any money at this point. Would it be a better time if Disney was breaking the bank? A little common sense goes a long way.....

Ok put another way, as a second release this is not even peanuts to a company like Disney. For the money on a second partial release the Disney Lawyers to write it up would cost more then the effort. Common sense. lol

#1263 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

The Disney lawyers would have to write up what exactly? It is a re up. Work is already done. Disney has always been tough to do deals with. I say now they would be easier. Just like ANY company currently in the red. Did you work on Wall Street before doing pin mods? If I ask real nice will you handle all my money for me? Too funny.

For the record I never said you were wrong simply that Disney is not a rubber stamp approval kind of company and they would not simply say "sure no problem do it again".

#1269 3 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I don't know if it true but I thought the guy who did the code is sick{Had a heart problem or something}.I thought I read the code is delayed until he get better and healthy.

That was long ago. Keith has since coded GnR. I am sure POTC will arrive soon when he writes the final chapter to his perfection

3 months later
#1283 3 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

I mean, why did JJP create so many versions of WoZ?? I get that there were hardware changes introduced with different releases, but is there other reasons publicly known?

Because its a well liked game and an open end market theme license. Why not keep going to the front line with it as long as there are buyers. POTC is a different story and I doubt they need to "have the word spread" they have heard it from everyone. With themes like GnR selling at above premium with a massive backlog of people waiting to get in that seems like the Sure bet for a company.

#1299 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No he just answered it accurately. Jack has been spoiling his games for years talking to people at shows etc.
If he was playing the Stern game he wouldn't admit any percentage. Fact is they have a ton of GnRs then toy story which has been delayed forever.
They're going to squeeze in a nightmare widebody somehow and make pirates which takes a ton of instruction to the line to make it? Not happening hence Jack's 20%.

Lol, 20% is the polite way of saying "I really don't want to hear your pitch on why I'm wrong to not run it" so I gave you a number to theorize about so I can hang up!

3 months later
#1311 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Any chance JJP re-runs POTC in the next 2 years? I think I heard from Pat Lawlor(sp) in a recent interview the new factory in Illinois doesn’t have wide body manufacturing capabilities. Anyone know if this is still true? I would think with all this price increase in the secondary market on the game they would be wanting to get another line going.

That rumor has flipped over a thousand times. With the issues they currently have with demand and Playfields I think the answer is still never.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=Yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.