9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.
#251 4 years ago

So the take away from this thread seems to be that TAF will be remade, there’s a guy willing to sell his house In order to get a Pirates, and some A-hole from NYC (meaning me) is contemplating selling his TAF for a JJPOTC.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

So the take away from this thread seems to be that TAF will be remade, there’s a guy willing to sell his house In order to get a Pirates, and some A-hole from NYC (meaning me) is contemplating selling his TAF for a JJPOTC.

Check, check, aaaaaaand checkerooni!

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Love that complete summary.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

How do you find Houdini though? I loved the idea and the theme, but the execution seems to have missed what you are saying about TAF.

Man, there's a lot to unpack there, for sure! API needs more components all functioning at high levels, to be entirely complete and competitive. I am very mixed on Houdini....

Quoted from gumnut01:

But there lies the problem. Do you create a linear mode driven game like LOTR or TSPP? Or a game with a beautiful theme with a fan layout but a small amount of custom goals?
The former becomes a chore after a while travelling over the same old ground, the later gets old quick. You just play it once in a while for a nostalgic fix.
How do you create a game that is always going to throw something new if you don’t make some of the chapters a bit generic?
I understand what you are saying. It’s a bit like thinking of computer games with a sandbox game compared to a linear story driven game. POTC is a sandbox game.
What makes it work is the amount of shots available. I actually like the chapters with just lit shots. It may be nice to have the story telling of the TSPP modes, but poor Keefer would have his work cut out for him to code 125 of those.
Just my thoughts.

I agree quite a bit with ya! There's so much movie content, and frankly, we have no idea what occurred behind closed doors as to how Disney wanted JJP to approach this game. I'd imagine they have a hand in design approach, not just asset usage. And after having the Hobbit based within so much asset and film structure, POTC is somewhat license palette cleansing.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Great post, and admire the way you approach the reasoning....
"GOAT"....our new "Grail", sadly...it's an acronym based world anymore....
This game will always have an odd spot in my pinball journey...."had to have" the CE (1 of the first to commit), as Eric is just such an awesome guy, and pinball engineering genius, IMHO. For this to be his first game, it was an absolute no brainer. No way I was out of this. It would be my next JJP, period.
Time went by and the story (not worth repeating) just started eating at me. It even seemed he was disappointed about certain things in some of the interviews....it resonated. I have never had such an up and down vibe on any previous pin decision, ever. Saw the stream, and had several pinbuds pming about all sorts of things about the game. Confusion ruled.
I'm not a very lucky guy, and just allowed logic to overcome desire on this one (pinball and logic?...oxymoron for sure). I have alot of amazing machines...this one will go down as "missed out big time", or "dodged a bullet"...either way, just a game, and there are always others...

Thanks for the kind words, it's very much appreciated!

I do think we're channeled into a non gray way of approaching life, and media especially. This game scratches oh so many itches, yet leaves me craving very specific things as well, hence it's no GOAT or ALBATROSS or whathaveyou. It is a game I throughly love playing even on location, despite owning one myself! Part of that is due to it being so damn good, and part of it is exactly what held you off on purchasing, (I'm still dealing with QC issues three months into my purchase.)

It'll always be around, and given you own Alien, seems you have pretty good luck right there! Next time this year, POTC might be as elusive or freely buyable, who knows? But 1,000 games isn't akin to King Kong numbers, that's for sure!

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Great post, and admire the way you approach the reasoning....
"GOAT"....our new "Grail", sadly...it's an acronym based world anymore....
This game will always have an odd spot in my pinball journey...."had to have" the CE (1 of the first to commit), as Eric is just such an awesome guy, and pinball engineering genius, IMHO. For this to be his first game, it was an absolute no brainer. No way I was out of this. It would be my next JJP, period.
Time went by and the story (not worth repeating) just started eating at me. It even seemed he was disappointed about certain things in some of the interviews....it resonated. I have never had such an up and down vibe on any previous pin decision, ever. Saw the stream, and had several pinbuds pming about all sorts of things about the game. Confusion ruled.
I'm not a very lucky guy, and just allowed logic to overcome desire on this one (pinball and logic?...oxymoron for sure). I have alot of amazing machines...this one will go down as "missed out big time", or "dodged a bullet"...either way, just a game, and there are always others...

I was in the same group-in early, then never mind. Glad I jumped back in. Based on your collection, I think you’d love this game. Much less risky than the Alien in your collection(which I love), plays a lot like your TZ, but with new tech, and more fun than your other JJP (in my own very subjective opinion). I can tell you that when it gets into your home, rather than playing in the field, it moves to another level. I was skeptical about the hype too. But now I have to agree, it is exceptional.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I wish one of the mod companies would make a Devil’s Triangle style mod for us SE owners. So far I’ve added the shaker motor, kraken and the dauntless mods. Going to keep making this game unique to me since I couldn’t find an LE

Have you tried reaching out to Matt at Backalley? He's the one that Made them for JJP. If anyone has them it would be him!

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well, you're right about the "not in the same league" comment, but 180 degrees out of whack. No downvote from me, everyone has an opinion, I suppose....

Have you had opportunity to put some time on one in a non-public environment? I really think you would change your tune on it. As for the issues, they were suffering a for bit there on QC and I'll admit I was highly concerned before mine arrived. Luckily, I have a later run version and its been nearly issue free out of the box. I wouldn't let that deter you. You took a leap on Aliens and a big one (with regard to potential problems), so I know you're not risk adverse. This is a great game. I was blowing it up the other night, finally reaching one of the mini wizard modes for the first time and during that journey, when all the chaos was ensuing, I started a mode I never even heard of before. I don't even recall what it was in the frenzy. The game just has a ton of shots, features, modes. Liars dice, arrrgh frenzy, 6666 (or whatever), a ton of chapter modes, 5 mini wizard, one super wizard, six mulitball modes, like 20 (I'm not counting to precision) characters to choose from, which change the way you play the game. David Thiel audio work that gets more intense as the game progresses. You'd love it, trust me. Is it GOAT? Heck I don't know. At the moment, for me it is. Ask me again in a few months. LOL

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I wish one of the mod companies would make a Devil’s Triangle style mod for us SE owners. So far I’ve added the shaker motor, kraken and the dauntless mods. Going to keep making this game unique to me since I couldn’t find an LE

Someone posted in one of these threads that Jack had told them that the LE parts would be back for sale for SE owners once they get another batch of parts made. You may want to hang in there for a month or so and see what happens. Maybe email Jack and see if he can guesstimate when the new batch of parts will be in stock.

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Someone posted in one of these threads that Jack had told them that the LE parts would be back for sale for SE owners once they get another batch of parts made. You may want to hang in there for a month or so and see what happens. Maybe email Jack and see if he can guesstimate when the new batch of parts will be in stock.

I saw the same post. I tried to order the LE topper and star panel From JJP. I actually got a price from them (surprisingly not as expensive as I thought they would be) and then they got back to me and said sorry no can do. I also asked if SE could be modified to get multi colored GI and they did not know. My idea of the perfect pirates would be the LE setup with the SE stainless trim and the CE topper

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I saw the same post. I tried to order the LE topper and star panel From JJP. I actually got a price from them (surprisingly not as expensive as I thought they would be) and then they got back to me and said sorry no can do. I also asked if SE could be modified to get multi colored GI and they did not know. My idea of the perfect pirates would be the LE setup with the SE stainless trim and the CE topper

just curious - what was the topper cost? I would get the CE topper for sure if it was permitted (which it sounds like it's not).

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

just curious - what was the topper cost? I would get the CE topper for sure if it was permitted (which it sounds like it's not).

I have to admit to being keenly interested in the hologram type topper shown in another thread. Talk about show-stopping!

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That is not permitted. Anyone ordering anything for the collectors edition will be asked for their serial number. Only actual ce owners can order ce parts

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

That is not permitted. Anyone ordering anything for the collectors edition will be asked for their serial number. Only actual ce owners can order ce parts

Yes I know I mentioned the same

#264 4 years ago

I played Pirates again last night. Enjoyable pin, long ball times, jumbled mess of a code (to me). You can say it's deep or it grows on you in a home environment. But to me (at this point) it's a jumbled mess. As in you can start all five of the multi balls at the same time(?) ack! thats great everything is running and then you have no idea what is is what every shot will score.

Maybe I just prefer a more structures or simple rule program. Whatever it has 105 'modes' (movie scenes) so they are all random hit so and so characters. I mean they could make 1000+ modes if they wanted to just various shots will call that a mode. But after a point it's all a lot of fluff. I'd take something like LotR or DI with much less number of modes but at least they can means something rather than a pile of unlimited random noise.

I will reserve the ability to change my mind in the future, but to me it's more of a very fun to flip, nice toys and nice looking but it's not something I feel is an all time top10 in the future (IMO of course) I still don't see how it's voted higher than Woz for example.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I played Pirates again last night. Enjoyable pin, long ball times, jumbled mess of a code (to me). You can say it's deep or it grows on you in a home environment. But to me (at this point) it's a jumbled mess. As in you can start all the multi balls at the same time(?) ack! thats great everything is running and then you have no idea what is is what every shot will score.
Maybe I just prefer a more structures or simple rule program. Whatever it has 105 'modes' (movie scenes) so they are all random hit so and so characters. I mean they could make 1000+ modes if they wanted to just various shots will call that a mode. But after a point it's all a lot of fluff. I'd take something like LotR or DI with much less number of modes but at least they can means something rather than a pile of unlimited random noise.
I will reserve the ability to change my mind in the future, but to me it's more of a very fun to flip, nice toys and nice looking but it's not something I feel is an all time top10 in the future (IMO of course) I still don't see how it's voted higher than Woz for example.

The code is actually extremely structured, not jumbled at all - but it takes some time learning it to get to that level of understanding.

IMO it's best to think of each movie on it's own...
- 5 modes for the Movie
- specific goals to light that Movies Multiball
- That Movies Wizard Mode

One Movie in POTC plus Tortuga Multiball and the other common features is roughly equivalent to many other modern day pins.
-- But POTC repeats that formula 5 times for 5 movies - in a very structured way, but not linear.
-- Each Movie Multiball and Movie Wizard mode is unique from the others - not all just the same thing
Plus the Super Wizard Mode which few will probably ever see

G.O.A.T.??? Possibly!!

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

When did you try ordering? Both Jack and Frank turned me down 2 weeks ago

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I played Pirates again last night. Enjoyable pin, long ball times, jumbled mess of a code (to me).

Its all good. Its a great thing that we all have different tastes and preferences. Look at it this way, you just saved yourself 10k! I don't care for DI or Hobbit and that saved me a bunch of $$$

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Its all good. Its a great thing that we all have different tastes and preferences. Look at it this way, you just saved yourself 10k! I don't care for DI or Hobbit and that saved me a bunch of $$$

I don't dislike the pin, but I'm not in love with it. I didn't love Tspp or LotR or Woz that much for years they were out but gradually I got to love those pins. I could appreciate these pins had a lot of good stuff but I didn't get it (didn't click) and maybe that's the way with PotC that maybe in 5 years I'll be saying it's great like Tspp or LotR.

Quoted from T7:

The code is actually extremely structured, not jumbled at all - but it takes some time learning it to get to that level of understanding.
IMO it's best to think of each movie on it's own...
- 5 modes for the Movie
- specific goals to light that Movies Multiball
- That Movies Wizard Mode
One Movie in POTC plus Tortuga Multiball and the other common features is roughly equivalent to many other modern day pins.
-- But POTC repeats that formula 5 times for 5 movies - in a very structured way, but not linear.
-- Each Movie Multiball and Movie Wizard mode is unique from the others - not all just the same thing
Plus the Super Wizard Mode which few will probably ever see
G.O.A.T.??? Possibly!!

Appreciate your opinion, that is just not what I am seeing. I understand that it may have 5x more rules/code than another pin but (to me) I would have wished that it was 5 separate movies not 5-in-1 game. In other words start the game pick *one* movie and play that movie. get tired of that move start a different game and play a different movie.

Just not having 25 scenes from different movies that are just randomly piled together.

Let's say AFM has 6 or 7 things to do. Some may say thats a very short game doesn't have enough meat on it's bones but to me it's just splendid and I wouldn't change a line of code in it. I don't think I'd love it it AFM had 105 different scenes/modes with 8 different MB/wizard modes to attain. I know these are two different pins and different philosophies and different strokes for different folks.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have never understood the more modes = more fun. A deep game TSPP has 7 main modes it takes up to three shots just to start a mode then you have to complete the mode to add time to the alien invasion clock. Playing a ball looking up and seeing you completed 5 modes you did not even know you had started is BS

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I played Pirates again last night. Enjoyable pin, long ball times, jumbled mess of a code (to me). You can say it's deep or it grows on you in a home environment. But to me (at this point) it's a jumbled mess. As in you can start all five of the multi balls at the same time(?) ack! thats great everything is running and then you have no idea what is is what every shot will score.

It’s random to you because you don’t understand the game yet. Put one in your home and give it time. Definitely the best total package pin for me and it’s not even close.

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

It’s random to you because you don’t understand the game yet. Put one in your home and give it time.

probably

Every Multiball in the game can be stacked and played with each other, adding an additional ball to the mix as well.

this does not sit well with me, suppose I am having a good game and have 3-4 Multiballs active at once. It's just chaotic and I don't know whatever you hit will be a jackpot of some sort. I mean there is just a lot of things going on in the game. Great for some people some people may not love it.

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I have never understood the more modes = more fun. A deep game TSPP has 7 main modes it takes up to three shots just to start a mode then you have to complete the mode to add time to the alien invasion clock. Playing a ball looking up and seeing you completed 5 modes you did not even know you had started is BS

It's the stacking of modes that make it great. Plenty of strategic high scoring opportunities.

AI is not really the reason to play TSPP modes. You get major point rewards the more you can complete all while keeping the timer going.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

this does not sit well with me, suppose I am having a good game and have 3-4 Multiballs active at once. It's just chaotic and I don't know whatever you hit will be a jackpot of some sort. I mean there is just a lot of things going on in the game. Great for some people some people may not love it.

Definitely can’t argue with that opinion. For me, if I understand how the jackpots and supers work for each multiball individually that still applies when they are stacked. It definitely gets “chaotic” at times but for my taste it’s a fantastic brand of chaos.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You can say this about a lot of games. TWD, for example, can be very confusing to anyone not familiar with the code as a lot can be going on at once. Not to mention the number of newer games that utilize complex scoring algorithms.

Like most every game, Pirates' code is really not that complicated if you make an effort and take a little time to understand the rules. Lots of good tutorials on YouTube too. I strongly recommend Dead Flip's with JJP or one of Karl DeAngelo's to really see what this game offers!

Don't be a Kaneda. Do some rules homework and it will pay dividends as far gameplay enjoyment!

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

AI is not really the reason to play TSPP modes. You get major point rewards the more you can complete all while keeping the timer going.

You can keep the timer going with hurry up's get enough hurry up's you will wind up in the zone lots of fun. A perfect example of good secondary modes make it so 6 to 12 modes is all that is needed for a deep game

#276 4 years ago

Not rerunning the title would have its jjp benefits as well. The game would show up going for X dollars a lot, then have people talking about it more. Look how much posting has been with the limited nature of the game. Its the type of game that has a reputation and would be a neat outlier in the JJP library.

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

probably

WOZ can get like that at times. My best game had Haunted MB stacked with Rescue MB stacked with ECMB stacked with a crystal ball mode. It was insane! Now, I wouldn't want every game like that, but I do kind of enjoy that from time to time.

I find some games really focus on stacking, like WOZ and JJPOTC. Other games really focus on modes, like DI. DI has very limited stacking, and it is really not strategic to do so, but the mode implementation is some of the best I've seen. Other games are a bit more balanced between the two. One of the things I liked about my Star Trek when I had it was how much strategy it had to time certain MBs with different modes. It was mainly a mode based pin, but you could stack certain events with it to enhance the modes and points.

I can't figure out what camp Wonka falls into yet. I have yet to play it, and it is difficult to follow -- for me at least -- from the videos.

Anyway, it's all good. There's something for everyone.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree regarding the modes as it's the weakest part of the game. Said it since day 1 of ownership.

I can totally understand the mb comment too as it's absolute chaos and even though I know the rules for each you can't really follow if you get the jackpots besides audio... But I like that. It's very challenging.

These are both valid but the modes def don't take anything away from the game it's just an opportunity for this game to go from a 9 to a 10 and is literally the main reason why alien is better than jjp potc.... Alien nails the modes. MB chaos is something you'll learn to appreciate with further play.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

probably

So you must hate it in TSPP when you get both couch and itchy and scratchy going at the same time.

You can play the game where you only have one running at a time if you wish. Each multiball has its own distinct rules and the call outs and multi RGB inserts tell you what you are up to. Each multiball is colour coded. So a purple arrow will be for the Dead man tells no tales movie and green arrows for dead mans chest. Without the RGB, it would be trickier. If you don’t know how the individual multiballs work than trying to make sense of 4 going at once would be chaotic.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So you must hate it in TSPP when you get both couch and itchy and scratchy going at the same time.
You can play the game where you only have one running at a time if you wish. Each multiball has its own distinct rules and the call outs and multi RGB inserts tell you what you are up to. Each multiball is colour coded. So a purple arrow will be for the Dead man tells no tales movie and green arrows for dead mans chest. Without the RGB, it would be trickier. If you don’t know how the individual multiballs work than trying to make sense of 4 going at once would be chaotic.

Yeah I hate when that happens!

Take some time and reread my post. Cheers mate

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

WOZ can get like that at times. My best game had Haunted MB stacked with Rescue MB stacked with ECMB stacked with a crystal ball mode. It was insane! Now, I wouldn't want every game like that, but I do kind of enjoy that from time to time.
I find some games really focus on stacking, like WOZ and JJPOTC. Other games really focus on modes, like DI. DI has very limited stacking, and it is really not strategic to do so, but the mode implementation is some of the best I've seen. Other games are a bit more balanced between the two. One of the things I liked about my Star Trek when I had it was how much strategy it had to time certain MBs with different modes. It was mainly a mode based pin, but you could stack certain events with it to enhance the modes and points.
I can't figure out what camp Wonka falls into yet. I have yet to play it, and it is difficult to follow -- for me at least -- from the videos.
Anyway, it's all good. There's something for everyone.

Difference is on Woz those multiballs are hard to get to. I mean on pirates we had multi balls open for business and I don’t even know how they were. Like maybe hit the spinner x number of times. Wtf might as well start out with the multi ball lit if that’s a qualifying event.

On LotR for example you have to earn the multi balls and you know it, it’s almost an event to reach some of the MB on some games. This was just like my friend telling me ok all these multi balls are active.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Not rerunning the title would have its jjp benefits as well. The game would show up going for X dollars a lot, then have people talking about it more. Look how much posting has been with the limited nature of the game. Its the type of game that has a reputation and would be a neat outlier in the JJP library.

Neat doesn’t pay the bills tho.... sales do

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah I have when that happens!
Take some time and reread my post. Cheers mate

Sorry, I can’t see where you covered the RGB inserts. Why would I reread your post? I was commenting on another’s post.

Quoted from JY64:

Why continue to comment about something you know nothing about? There is no way you start a chapter mode without you knowing. The star map is distinct like the behind the tv shot in Simpsons. You can also only have one chapter going at a time. You can also extend the timer the same way as in TSPP. It is Multiballs you can stack not chapter modes. If anything it is Simpsons which can get confusing by stacking modes, especially with add TV modes and Krusty. So the game you are trying to bash for stacking modes without actually knowing it does not allow you to do so. The game which you say is the right way to do modes, does allow you to stack. And to make things worse with TSPP the last mode you started then stops the DMD hints for the previous modes that are running. Also try hitting comic book guy and get a hurry up during a mode and try to follow what you need to do. To the newbie for TSPP, very confusing.

TSPP is a great game. So is Pirates. Nothing anybody will say will change your opinion, but to say negative things about a pinball that you know little about is a bit silly. You can say you don’t like it, but the rest of us don’t care since you know nothing about it.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Difference is on Woz those multiballs are hard to get to. I mean on pirates we had multi balls open for business and I don’t even know how they were. Like maybe hit the spinner x number of times. Wtf might as well start out with the multi ball lit if that’s a qualifying event.
On LotR for example you have to earn the multi balls and you know it, it’s almost an event to reach some of the MB on some games. This was just like my friend telling me ok all these multi balls are active.

Pirates is definitely a multiball heavy game. Bottom line if you don’t like to have lots of multiballs or the ability to stack multiballs then this game is not for you and you dodged a bullet. Out of the 6 multiballs, 3 of them are fairly easy to obtain. The others you need to work for.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Pirates is definitely a multiball heavy game. Bottom line if you don’t like to have lots of multiballs or the ability to stack multiballs then this game is not for you and you dodged a bullet. Out of the 6 multiballs, 3 of them are fairly easy to obtain. The others you need to work for.

Pirates doesn't need to be. It's up to how you want to play it.

You can choose to just focus on a specific wizard mode by hitting its respective chapter qualifying shot and limit your multiballs as much as possible, to the one associated with the wizard mode you're going after. Try to fully complete (hit all required character shots) as many of the required 5 chapters as you can and score jackpots & super jackpots as much as possible in the desired multiball when activated in order to maximize your scoring potential in the wizard mode.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Sorry, I can’t see where you covered the RGB inserts. Why would I reread your post? I was commenting on another’s post.

Ha! - I thought you were responding to my post! Disregard....

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Pirates doesn't need to be. It's up to how you want to play it.
You can choose to just focus on a specific wizard mode by hitting its respective chapter qualifying shot and limit your multiballs as much as possible, to the one associated with the wizard mode you're going after. Try to fully complete (hit all required character shots) as many of the required 5 chapters as you can and score jackpots & super jackpots as much as possible in the desired multiball when activated in order to maximize your scoring potential in the wizard mode.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Agree! And the easier multiballs such as worlds end do not score highly in isolation. I actually score higher from chapters. And add to this the ability to select Blackbeard or Gibbs for easier or higher scoring multiballs for a multiball game or Norrington or tia Dalma for trying to get the wizards and you have a game like no other.

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ha! - I thought you were responding to my post! Disregard....

Thanks dude! Was confused, cos I know you’re not a troll. Btw would have loved to have tried Alien. Think it would have scared the crap out of my daughter though.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Agree! And the easier multiballs such as worlds end do not score highly in isolation. I actually score higher from chapters. And add to this the ability to select Blackbeard or Gibbs for easier or higher scoring multiballs for a multiball game or Norrington or tia Dalma for trying to get the wizards and you have a game like no other.

Right on! I've been focusing on Barbossa lately per Karl DeAngelo's fabulous 35 MIL tutorial. I used to go for Tia Dalma to get wizards, but you don't need her. Just take Barbossa and focus on hitting the particular chapter shot you need!

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Right on! I've been focusing on Barbossa lately per Karl DeAngelo's fabulous 35 MIL tutorial. I used to go for Tia Dalma to get wizards, but you don't need her. Just take Barbossa and focus on hitting the particular chapter shot you need!

And I love how you don’t get the chapter multiplier if you only qualify the one chapter!! So balanced.

#291 4 years ago

The thing is we are starting to see new pins that are totally different to their 90’s cousins in their technology, play and rules. Such as pirates, TNA, Houdini, alien and hobbit. I think TSPP and LOTR paved the way. They will appeal to some who want a different experience to the basic fan layout to add to their collection and not appeal to others who really just enjoy the fan layout and nothing else.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

And I love how you don’t get the chapter multiplier if you only qualify the one chapter!! So balanced.

Yep, but inconsequential in the long run if you're focusing on a maximized wizard mode score.

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

The thing is we are starting to see new pins that are totally different to their 90’s cousins in their technology, play and rules. Such as pirates, TNA, Houdini, alien and hobbit. I think TSPP and LOTR paved the way. They will appeal to some who want a different experience to the basic fan layout to add to their collection and not appeal to others who really just enjoy the fan layout and nothing else.

I agree. Many different types of pins.

Several of my pins are straightforward light the insert mode tree or compass.

Tron, Iron Man, Stern Potc, AFM

Some are more stacking wood: DI, ST or Met meaning you need to add up a bunch of tasks to get to a wizard.

I have more simple or complex games such as Tspp, Woz, TNA, Tspp, AcDc.

I don’t meant to say that JJP Potc is bad but was not really my cup of tea. Lots of new Stern like GoT, DP and Maiden that I don’t love either.

Great thing about pinball is there is are hundreds of different choices.

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree. Many different types of pins.
Several of my pins are straightforward light the icons on the mode tree or compass.
Tron, Iron Man, Stern Potc, AFM
Some are more stacking wood: ST or Met
I have Tspp, Woz, TNA, Tspp, AcDc.
I don’t meant to say that JJP Potc is bad but was not really my cup of tea. Lots of new Stern like GoT, DP and Maiden that I don’t love either.
Great thing about pinball is there is are hundreds of different choices.

And one time I got downvoted for saying I did not like Dialed In. Does not mean it is not an excellent game to others. I also discounted WOZ because I need more than 1 ramp. Have not played it much though, so can’t comment besides that initial thought. My wife much prefers our AFM to pirates.

AC/DC is awesome, TNA really gets the blood flowing.

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

It’s random to you because you don’t understand the game yet. Put one in your home and give it time. Definitely the best total package pin for me and it’s not even close.

This. In the home, something happens. It’s great.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'll have to disagree slightly here.

For JJPPoTC, there are six multiball modes. The only one I find particularly easy to start is At Worlds End. Collecting 9 pieces of eight, which is basically making 9 different shots, is almost a gimmie on most games. Because of this, I tend to hold starting that mode until I have at least one more qualified. or a chapter mode that has a bunch of shots to complete. The others are more in line with starting multiballs on similar games in terms of qualifying.
I'll pick at LOTR since you mentioned it.
Fellowship - collect the charters by making their shots. Then shoot Barad Dur tower to start.
Two Towers - light keep lanes then lock ball on sword lane. When I had mine, I had to increase the difficulty to start, because I was getting it 2 times per game, on most games.
RoTK - spam the tower shot to collect dead via PoTD. Start by hitting the tower again or the cave shot.

JJPPOTC - I'll go from easiest to most difficult (for me)
At Worlds End - collect 9 pieces with nine shots
On Stranger Tides - Spam the inner loop shot.
Dead Mans Chest - hit two chest targets to raise fork, then shoot to lock balls into chest. Repeat three times.
Dead Men tell no tales - spam the Bermuda triangle spinner. This is simple, but difficult for me, because its challenging shot to make and missed shots like to find its way down the middle or the left outlane.
Tortuga - Collect 50 gold, then make the Tortuga shot.
Curse of the Black Perl - this one is tough to achieve and way tougher than any in LoTR. - Hit the spinners on the Black Perl until the load cannon target are lit, hit the targets, load the cannon, make cannon shot into the Dauntless hole.

To me the LoTR multiballs are not difficult and not complex to start. In fact, I'd say Pirates are equal or more complex in at least the case of CoTBP. I will say that playing the LoTR multiballs, aside from TT, are more complex and rewarding.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

More
Why continue to comment about something you know nothing about? There is no way you start a chapter mode without you knowing.

I was not talking POTC specifically the reference was made to games with too many modes as a whole. Games with over 100 modes cannot make it difficult to start and to finish a mode. A few years back I played TH after a ball I saw that I had finished several modes that to me is BS. As for stacking modes on TSPP yes you can but it was not I who said to use that strategy

#298 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I was not talking POTC specifically the reference was made to games with too many modes as a whole. Games with over 100 modes cannot make it difficult to start and to finish a mode. A few years back I played TH after a ball I saw that I had finished several modes that to me is BS. As for stacking modes on TSPP yes you can but it was not I who said to use that strategy

Each character has their own insert on the playfield. You basically need to collect between 2 and 10(?) characters per chapter within a set time limit. You can collect them in any order unlike Simpson’s. When you hit the chapter select target, The game stops and shows you the chapter you are starting and then lists each character or shot you need to make and then lights the shots/characters on the playfield. So the objectives are very clear for chapters and it tells you each time you collect a character. When you are finished it shows you on screen and even announces “chapter complete”. While this chapter is active no other chapter can be started. So the chapter objectives are clear. You can complete up to 25 chapters per game. 5 chapters for each movie. The 125 possible chapters are the total pool from which the 25 chapters are pulled out of per game.

The thing that can make it confusing are the multiballs and the game supports and can encourage up to 6 multiballs occurring at once.

So just wanted to clarify there is no way you can be doing chapters without realising it.

There is one exception. Ok you got me. You can start a chapter during multiballs, then it is a bit frantic to follow the chapter objectives at that point. Generally though this is the exception not the rule of the game.

#299 4 years ago

It must just be me, but I found jjpotc the most intuitive, easy to learn rules out of all my games. By far.
Between what's on the screen and probably the best/most helpful callouts in any game, it only took a few plays to get it.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Between what's on the screen and probably the best/most helpful callouts in any game, it only took a few plays to get it.

So true. You have essentially three or four things telling you what shots or actions to make. Screen, lit inserts, compass, and in some cases audio callouts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/6?hl=vdrums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.