9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.
#51 4 years ago

You get a POTC....and YOU get a POTC....

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
#52 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Basically it’s a stunning machine but I’m hard pressed to spend more than they already cost for one. It’s basically the cost of
Met pro and TWD pro
SM and Tspp
Potc and IM
GoT and GB pro
which at that point I’m looking at two nice pins.

yep, its a cool game, but you can have 2 great pins at that price

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

yep, its a cool game, but you can have 2 great pins at that price

I get the price comparison... Maybe it's because I tend to be the only one playing my games anyway but it is worth the price. The variety that this game provides is worth more than two games.

#54 4 years ago

My prediction is JJP will make 100's of POTC's if there's demand from their distribution chain.....my guess is they will come out with some special version (Like WOX YB) for a quick money grab

#55 4 years ago

License was for three years. What kick starts the clock?license acquisition date, Reveal, Production, first one off the line?

It was revealed 10/17 so two years will be upon us quickly.

Since all actors had to sign off on art on cabinet/pf are there any ramifications going forward since Disney fired Depp and is apparently not licensing new toys etc featuring him?

#56 4 years ago

As previously posted, I have no idea if JJP will make more POTC's or not.

I recommend watching Karl DeAngelo's latest gameplay video though to anyone still deciding whether it's worth doing so:

#57 4 years ago

Jack has shown himself to make more games if they'll sell. I'm of the opinion that they'll make more. I think the rumors of difficulty assembling are just that, BS likely from people who own the games and want the price to go up. Jack has also shown that he increases the price on new versions, so there may be some truth to that, we'll have to see.

His comments at the WOZ reveal are very clear that he wants to build up demand and if it's there he has the license and can (in my opinion WILL) make more

#58 4 years ago

I'm an owner so my word probably does not mean much but take a look at the backbox of POTC..

IMG_20190601_163249_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190601_163249_01 (resized).jpg

Compared to Munsters.
IMG_20190601_163524_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190601_163524_01 (resized).jpg

Under the playfield is worse.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

There is no good reason for a pinball machine to have a computer that weighs more than a gaming laptop. Lighter is better when you have to move these games in and out of a basement.

I hope JJP does make more of these. The demand is there and if JJP has a game already designed and licensed but can't turn a profit at $9500 they're done.

#60 4 years ago

The underside of the playfield reminds me of the complexity and quality of my Twilight Zone. Eric is clearly an exceptional engineer. I predict a lot of happy customers when JJP runs another series of LEs. They need to make more parts anyhow for support, and more playfields as well, so it wouldn’t be that hard to get what they need. All hands are on Wonka now, but there will be time.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

The demand is there and if JJP has a game already designed and licensed but can't turn a profit at $9500 they're done.

My guess is that this is exactly why they are not going to make any more. It is too complex and expensive to produce and support at that price point. Their market analysis shows that raising the price to the needed profit level won't garner enough sales to justify restarting production. I think it is a simple return on investment decision. POTC is not earning what their investment in other pins can earn. Even though what is already invested is sunk cost at this point, the return on additional investment in parts, production lines, and support isn't warranted based on other options for their investment.

Pretty simple decision on the face of it ... but disappointing to a lot of people.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Those that own a JJP POTC LE- NO!! No way they are making more!

Those that don't own a JJP POTC LE- YES! Of course they will be making a ton of them!

The trouble with this statement is that I own one and voted YES!

They will make more IMO, but I think there will be a price increase.

I also think most of the folks selling represent buyers remorse. In some cases they were never even unboxed. Its hard to drop 10k on a game and when they had time to think it over and then see an opportunity to sell and get 100% of their cash back, they jump. I personally can't see selling mine anytime in the next few years. I stopped saying forever keepers or "bolted to the floor" because all the games I make that claim over, eventually get sold.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

3. demand for this title was quite poor all things considered until JJP announced they were pulling it from the line

I really don't believe killing the line spiked demand. I think demand increased naturally, over time, as more people got a chance to play the game and see how great it is. I expect that to continue, and no I'm not selling mine ever.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I really don't believe killing the line spiked demand. I think demand increased naturally, over time, as more people got a chance to play the game and see how great it is. I expect that to continue, and no I'm not selling mine ever.

Agreed, they cancel game just as its hitting locations and home use. TPF was a good excuse to reveal YBR and to build orders and demand.

#65 4 years ago

For me it was both. I was just biding my time, considering all options, waiting for it to arrive somewhere nearby to play for the first time. Then there's this announcement and it's like "Wait, what?!"

So my demand certainly did spike. I scrambled to find one, played it several times over- probably on some older code- but I just couldn't find love at $10k.

Could I play more, and change my mind? Maybe. But it still feels weird. This isn't the same as a title that's run its natural course, and now it's time to change production. This feels like a premature abandonment of a title and I'm not so sure I want in on something that the creator wants out of. I can't tell if it's a wishy, washy manufacturer who can't get it right? Or a brilliant marketing maneuver? ..... Or a desperate marketing maneuver?

Who spends years R&Ding, building and promoting something and then abandons it after barely 6 months on the market?? No great successful product I've ever heard of.

#66 4 years ago

I'm absolutely sure of one thing, if I buy ANY new JJP game I will request an uncleared pf be sent to Ron Kruzman to be cleared and used instead of that factory Mirco cleared garbage.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I'm absolutely sure of one thing, if I buy ANY new JJP game I will request an uncleared pf be sent to Ron Kruzman to be cleared and used instead of that factory Mirco cleared garbage.

Ironically I had this conversation last week with the JJP folks about getting a uncleared PF, was told this option is not possible.

#68 4 years ago

These answers were so predictable. Most owners parroting the same lines. "Won't be remade". "It costs too much to produce". "It's too complex to produce". "Greatest pin ever made". Respect for those few owners who actually aren't shameless price pumpers and said "who knows".

By the way, how is it that B/W managed to produce tens of thousands of Super Pins profitably? Weren't a number of those similarly complex?

#69 4 years ago

Nobody outside of JJP really knows if they will be remade. Heck, most people IN probably don't know either.

If it's a game you like, I say buy one of the LEs that are on pinside - they are going for what I consider to be good prices for a highly demanded title.

Waiting for a second run could be like waiting for Tron Vault.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

By the way, how is it that B/W managed to produce tens of thousands of Super Pins profitably? Weren't a number of those similarly complex?

Economy of scale and proprietary, task-specific boardsets. Using a fair amount of off-the-shelf parts like JJP does is not cheap.

But I think JJP is making money, even on jjPotC, just not a lot (yet), which is another reason to squeeze profit out of another 500-1000 LE units that will satisfy pent up demand.

#71 4 years ago

I understand the fewer pins made means there is less unit to spread all the R&D, advertising, licensing, support service, factory/staff overhead.

this leads to a vicious circle: less pins means the cost of each one has to bear more of the burden of the above costs and the price goes up leads to less sales (etc.)

Woz was interesting (the biggest seller of JJP by far) because it debuted at $6500 maybe that's too low a price but then the game can sell thousands and thousands and soon enough can spread all those costs to thousands of units.

Suppose a smartphone costs tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to develop but if they sell hundreds of millions of units that R&D cost is next to nothing for each unit.

Myself, I'm not poor by any means but there is a certain point where even look at the price tag and say that's a lot of money. I mean who is buying these pins over $8000?

I have bought a few in the $8K range but it's a still much less than the CE or SLE or Diamonds are asking for.

My top pins are really AFM LE and Woz RR so there is a correlation to you can get what you pay for and you can pay more and get a nicer pin. But have to say that Woz RR (love it) but don't feel as if it's twice as good as when I bought Tron or Met pro for less than $5K each.

It's fine but hopefully JJP realizes that just charging more is not always the answer (I mean so they make a special PotC and will charge $12K or more) that will get some of the rich guys money but selling 200 units might not be as profitable or spread the costs around as well as making one that costs $8K. We seen with Wonka the standard edition costs $2000 less than the LE. Hopefully that JJP can do something more like GCG does with all the features on the PF being the same but the trim, or display or topper can distinguish between the different levels.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I understand the fewer pins made means there is less unit to spread all the R&D, advertising, Licensing, support service, factory/staff overhead.
this leads to a vicious circle: less pins means the cost of each one has to bear more of the burden of the above costs and the price goes up leads to less sales (etc.)
Woz was interesting (the biggest seller of JJP by far) because it debuted at $6500 maybe that's too low a price but then the game can sell thousands and thousands and soon enough can spread all those costs to thousands of units.
Suppose a smartphone costs tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to develop but if they sell hundreds of millions of units that R&D cost is next to nothing for each unit.
Myself, I'm not poor by any means but there is. certain point where even look at the price tag and say that's a lot of money. I mean who is buying these pins over $8000?
I have bought a few in that neighborhood but it's a still much less than the CE or SLE or Diamonds are asking for.

Well Diamonds and Platinums are just stupid because there's no difference in those pins except very basic trim. Idiot money. They don't even really count for the purposes of this discussion. Just a failed Stern money grab test.

#73 4 years ago

I think folks are aware I'm an owner....

I think jjp will make more of these..... and will follow the yellow brick road edition. Jjp will then defend it by saying we're protecting you the consumer by removing devices that could cause issues, apply some new paint and cost the same or likely more.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

These answers were so predictable. Most owners parroting the same lines. "Won't be remade". "It costs too much to produce". "It's too complex to produce". "Greatest pin ever made". Respect for those few owners who actually aren't shameless price pumpers and said "who knows".

Exactly - what do owners know!

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think folks are aware I'm an owner....
I think jjp will make more of these..... and will follow the yellow brick road edition. Jjp will then defend it by saying we're protecting you the consumer by removing devices that could cause issues, apply some new paint and cost the same or likely more.

I agree.

#76 4 years ago

Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd hope so. I love it and I'd like for others to be able to pick one up if they want one.

#77 4 years ago

Imo after playing through many games, the two best ones are no longer available to be purchased...... Alien followed by POTC. Really ironic.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Imo after playing through many games, the two best ones are no longer available to be purchased...... Alien followed by POTC. Really ironic.

You left out NGG.

#79 4 years ago

Sure why not. Clearly I think their issue is capacity on their limited line. To keep up with their new title release this is the one that takes priority. When you the time is “right” to get them back on the line they will. While it’s off the line parts can be sourced in meantime see demand from their distributors and back online when it permits. Of course a price hike for the demand and whatever issues they had with prior builds will be factored in. If it was too complex to build they will pass it along in a new release. It would be stupid to ignore demand and not build anymore.
The more I think about it now Toy Story would put a serious delay in another release though.

#80 4 years ago

I am a LE owner, and was in a month from the day it was shown at expo. I knew without a doubt that this would be my one and only NIB. I hope they make more of them so others can have and enjoy them! Now with that said, will this be Eric's grail pin?

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

JJP is moving on....Game costs too much to make, I can't even get replacement parts under warranty.

that's why they quit making it, no parts available. It will be made again soon.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You left out NGG.

Haha I will say that you are one if not the top supporter of that game! I appreciate the dedication.

Truth be told I really liked that game but that damn music drove me crazy. There were talks of a custom soundtrack.... Been looking out for it

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

- Demand is high? Best pin ever, you'll never get rid of. Yet a few too many hitting the 2nd hand market.
This thread is revealing nothing.

There are 6 on the pinside market.

0 SEs
5 LEs, all but one priced well over retail
1 CE priced well over retail

I hardly consider that too many and most of these sales are people looking to make some extra cash.

#84 4 years ago

I voted some other version. I think the LE makes a return 12-18 months from now with cost cutting changes, maybe different armor and priced at 9,999. They'll call it the Black Pearl edition.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

They'll call it the Black Pearl edition.

I think I was the first one to call a Black Pearl edition because JJP is famous for taking games off the line then putting them back on with a new special name. However in this case they won't be according to what I'm being told... the reason is DIsney is tough to get approvals from so they would just do an LE no special name nothing. They don't want to alter the game, only then to seek an approval for Disney.

So I think you're just going to see POTC LE! Nothing more nothing less. I'm betting the parts are on order.

#86 4 years ago

I wish they would but I doubt they will.

#87 4 years ago

Let's say 100 Pinsiders say today, they'd buy a POTC, and that number is most likely bloated. How many actually would? 10, 20? Say that demand outside of this vacuum is ten times higher than that, also doubtful. That's just not worth the effort in ordering parts, opening a sideline for production, and possibly just scooting by with minimal profit for JJP. Especially when there is new ground to be tread with new, fresh games.

Also, the brand of Pirates, as long as Depp has this cloud over his head, can't be something JJP or Disney really want to be ensconced in.

Too little profit, minimal demand, and ongoing controversy.

#88 4 years ago

I’m an SE owner. If more LEs came out, I’d consider selling my SE and buying the LE just for the few upgrades it has

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

There are 6 on the pinside market.
0 SEs
1 CE priced well over retail
I hardly consider that too many and most of these sales are people looking to make some extra cash.

I would say these are not for sale to make a profit but more because POTC has had so many quality issues already some that own it are afraid it will literally disintegrate like an old pair of underwear down the road. At least now people can still get their money back.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I would say these are not for sale to make a profit but more because POTC has had so many quality issues already some that own it are afraid it will literally disintegrate like an old pair or underwear down the road. At least now people can still get their money back.

Haha - case closed folks!

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

i wonder what mint, huo, heavily modded Pirates would sell for in 2 years if JJP doesn’t re-run them. At that point the license would most likely have ran out, and the sky’s the limit on those games.

I asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer.
What does it mean that the license expires.
If you in the future need a new playfield or side decals, will anobody providing them get sued by disney?

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Don't think it's much over retail. Figure in over $500 for taxes and around another 2-300 for Shipping.

#93 4 years ago

JDepp is out from Disney so his likeness on the play field/decals and elsewhere is history
so therefore a change would have to be done on any new rerun down the line.
Disney is planning a new reboot of the whole Pirates thing.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

JDepp is out from Disney so his likeness on the play field/decals and elsewhere is history
so therefore a change would have to be done on any new rerun down the line.
Disney is planning a new reboot of the whole Pirates thing.

And you know the contract details? You know for a fact that the contract jjp has for the next two or so years does not in fact allow them to continue making the game in it's current form? All the games made since Johnny Depp was booted from Disney are being recalled?

Come on man, give us a break.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

And you know the contract details? You know for a fact that the contract jjp has for the next two or so years does not in fact allow them to continue making the game in it's current form? All the games made since Johnny Depp was booted from Disney are being recalled?
Come on man, give us a break.

No real way to know but if Disney wants to cut all ties with Depp they can do so and I guarantee there are contingency language in contract to cover such scenario. JJp would be compensated.

Who knows but it’s not as far fetched as you would think. That was an ugly breakup partly due to his public drunkenness and domestic issues.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I would say these are not for sale to make a profit but more because POTC has had so many quality issues already some that own it are afraid it will literally disintegrate like an old pair of underwear down the road. At least now people can still get their money back.

Overblown and untrue. It's on route here and it's fine. Takes a lot more tweaking to get everything running smoothly, but it's literally the most complicated pin mechanically since WoZ, so to be expected - WoZ was very similar in that respect. An order of magnitude more complicated than any Stern.

It's also the top earner on the route at $1.50/play, 4 balls. People LOVE this machine. Literally double Deadpool Premium, the next newest pin at $1/play, 3 balls. If that's the reward for having to dial a pin in, I'll do that all day long.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Wow you got all of that from reading a few for sale ads?

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I'm an owner so my word probably does not mean much but take a look at the backbox of POTC..
[quoted image]
Compared to Munsters.
[quoted image]

sorry, still doesn't justify cost or reliability or fun. JJP has just priced a lot of people out of their price limit with his prices. if he wants to fix that, he either needs to take a bigger cut in profit or find a more efficient way to do things.

#99 4 years ago

I would love to see more produced. It provides me no benefit to limit production and I rarely sell pins, so I am not focused on increased price. But, what I see in the posts is ...

Unknown person posts definitive "no". Person is known and respected by Lloyd, lending significant credibility. Lloyd has an impeccable reputation with this community. I can't see him damaging it for a marketing ploy (although it's possible he could be completely out of the loop). Unknown person has been on Pinside for two years, but is not located near JJP facilities. Sounds like an investor to me. Didn't they join JJP about 2 years ago? Major investor opinions would likely trump all other ideas on whether POTC is manufactured again.

Just a hunch.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I would love to see more produced. It provides me no benefit to limit production and I rarely sell pins, so I am not focused on increased price. But, what I see in the posts is ...
Unknown person posts definitive "no". Person is known and respected by Lloyd, lending significant credibility. Lloyd has an impeccable reputation with this community. I can't see him damaging it for a marketing ploy (although it's possible he could be completely out of the loop). Unknown person has been on Pinside for two years, but is not located near JJP facilities. Sounds like an investor to me. Didn't they join JJP about 2 years ago? Major investor opinions would likely trump all other ideas on whether POTC is manufactured again.
Just a hunch.

That's Steve, a tech from JJP. He's a solid source. Great tech and very knowledgeable also!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/2?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.