9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 28.
#1201 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Floor model going to a employee..... eric mentioned this on fb. No way they go back to potc after the huge positive feedback and purchases of g@r.... looking fwd to future releases as g@r looks amazing and I expect them.to keep impressing the more games released

I look at it the other way, if people think the more distributed eric game is awesome, they would want to get their hands on the other complementing machine aswell.
A ruby red potc, esp with something new, like a more advanced spinning disc would probably be a huge success.

#1202 3 years ago

If they ever make more POTC, it won’t be now. By all indications GnR is a huge hit for them. They’re not going to want to cannibalize those sales. If things change, or if they have a delay between releases, that would be the time for it.

#1203 3 years ago

JJP will be busy for a year+ with GnR now.
So maybe, just maybe, we might get a bone thrown our way next year, say...July.

#1204 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yep orders are crazy for g@r and will b super busy filling orders till the next game release in hopefully march/April.

#1205 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I agree. I think there is a good shot at more POTC's being made. But they have their hands full with GnR for the next several months at least.

#1206 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree. I think there is a good shot at more POTC's being made.

Why exactly do you think there is a good shot?

#1207 3 years ago

When does the license run out? Or do we know for sure?

#1208 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

If JJP likes money they will make more Pirates.

#1209 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well I guess they will be making more GnR CEs then?

#1210 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg

#1211 3 years ago

There is always hand wringing over a license expiring. I think we should give this a rest.
AFAIK and I'm probably wrong but I have never heard of a game not being built because of an expired license.
If we can't come up with good examples, lets give the 'expiring license' talking point a breather.

#1212 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Obviously this is just my opinion, but here goes:

- The design is complete (so no additional costs for R&D - and they already spent a ton and I would think would like to get more return on that)
- They know how to build them (so the line and BOM are set)
- The code is complete (though there may be updates)
- The rules are complete (though there may be updates)
- There are buyers wanting to get the pin
- Distributors have been on here saying they have asked JJP for more
- The second hand market prices went up considerably over MRSP due to demand (there are some used LEs on here for 14 and 15K) :/

That's all I could come up with quickly, but those add up to a 'good shot' to me...

#1213 3 years ago

Look at how many versions of WOZ were made and nobody really asked them to make them (IMHO). Here is a game that they KNOW they can sell. Even pre-order with non-refundable deposit. Hell, I would pay in full if they promised I would get one within 6 months.

#1214 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Look at how many versions of WOZ were made and nobody really asked them to make them (IMHO). Here is a game that they KNOW they can sell. Even pre-order with non-refundable deposit. Hell, I would pay in full if they promised I would get one within 6 months.

If I were JJP, I'd open up a "put your money where your mouth is" interest list. All of a sudden everybody who's "in Day 1 on the remake!" will suddenly have car or house issues, or a wife who changed her mind...

#1215 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Agree. They have been building WOZ for the past, what, 6 years? And that BOM is possibly the highest of all the JJP pins. So, JJP most certainly can make more if they want.

#1216 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Agree. They have been building WOZ for the past, what, 6 years? And that BOM is possibly the highest of all the JJP pins. So, JJP most certainly can make more if they want.

Unless, of course, they can't. Disney licenses are expensive, and normally quite time limited.

Odds are, their license for Pirates has expired and would take a big chunk of money to resume.

Even if JJP was willing to pay Disney the cash, Disney might not even be interested. They often will only license stuff that Disney is actively promoting - and POTC is not being promoted at the moment.

No, I don't KNOW this to be the case...but it is not unlikely.

#1217 3 years ago

I still think an unlicensed pirate based retheme is the perfect solution here. Seems like a very simple swap.

#1218 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I still think an unlicensed pirate based retheme is the perfect solution here. Seems like a very simple swap.

Not so sure on that?? While not character faces, every video animation and voice in that game is Disney owned. Aside from the multiball animations they would basically have to remake EVERY inch of the game and code. Not so simple.

#1219 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If I were JJP, I'd open up a "put your money where your mouth is" interest list. All of a sudden everybody who's "in Day 1 on the remake!" will suddenly have car or house issues, or a wife who changed her mind...

JJP will sell a lot of jjPotC, even on a waitlist.

The one thing that has shocked me in this pandemic is how much money is still out there, changing hands. I assumed pin sales would slow down (I bring pins in, make mods, then send them on their way to keep my pin addiction in control), but that hasn't been the case. All of them have sold within a month, and some have been PRESOLD before I even listed them. Distributors I talk to have been saying they're very busy, too. It's the opposite of what I expected 8 months into this pandemic.

#1220 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's the opposide of what I expected 8 months into this pandemic.

Yeah!

I 100% get what you just said!

I really think so many of us have stopped spending money on eating out and vacations, and suddenly see that WOW! with all this money we are saving we can keep doing that and get more games!

I 100% think home game sales will be helped for years to come, while sadly a lot of businesses will end up having to close.

And back on topic, I hope they will make more POTC, even if they have to do it as another theme or whatever.

I can testify that rocking upper playfield and everything else the game has going on is the BEST!

Firing the cannon was always awesome! Coolest thing ever!

Except for the artwork and callouts, that were totally Disney, really the short videos were not much, so i think it would be very easy for them to just re-do this playfield into something else and not even have to mess with Disney again.

If they wanted a license, Battle Ship would work fine because of the cannon.

Or maybe they could even just name it Pirates, and use historical figures that are not copy righted or whatever.

Whatever JJP does in the future, I think somehow that awesome playfield, with the awesome rocking upper playfield, needs to be used again.

The spinning disc stuff........whatever, that was never a big deal anyway in my opinion, yeah a few times it made the ball do crazy stuff but it was no big deal at all.

(a former SE owner that loved the game but cares less about Disney).

BUT, use that same playfield and the band Queen as a rock pin!

#1221 3 years ago

Why do we still debate this topic. They will never make more POTC. Why? Because if it hasn’t already become clear to you they’ve left behind wide body games. Secondly they’ve already made the statement that you should have bought them back when they decided to move on. Lastly the game is just way to expensive to produce. Why would they make more of these when they have a MEGA hit on their hands in GNR and another possible mega hit behind it ... Toy Story. Why go backwards. JJP went back to the well tons of times with Wizard as they tried to figure out which direction to go with the company. Boom they got it figured it out... they moved the engineers together with the manufactoring. They ditched expensive wide bodies and they’re moving in a more focused direction. I seriously doubt you’ll see any more Wizards or Pirates because they have a new direction in front of them.

#1222 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP will sell a lot of jjPotC, even on a waitlist.
The one thing that has shocked me in this pandemic is how much money is still out there, changing hands. I assumed pin sales would slow down (I bring pins in, make mods, then send them on their way to keep my pin addiction in control), but that hasn't been the case. All of them have sold within a month, and some have been PRESOLD before I even listed them. Distributors I talk to have been saying they're very busy, too. It's the opposite of what I expected 8 months into this pandemic.

Agreed - I can only assume it’s people spending their vacation funds, since we can’t really go anywhere right now. I can say for sure that our vacation money is currently being spent on a whole new kitchen

#1223 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why do we still debate this topic. They will never make more POTC.

Never is a mighty long time.

#1224 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why do we still debate this topic. They will never make more POTC. Why? Because if it hasn’t already become clear to you they’ve left behind wide body games. Secondly they’ve already made the statement that you should have bought them back when they decided to move on. Lastly the game is just way to expensive to produce. Why would they make more of these when they have a MEGA hit on their hands in GNR and another possible mega hit behind it ... Toy Story. Why go backwards. JJP went back to the well tons of times with Wizard as they tried to figure out which direction to go with the company. Boom they got it figured it out... they moved the engineers together with the manufactoring. They ditched expensive wide bodies and they’re moving in a more focused direction. I seriously doubt you’ll see any more Wizards or Pirates because they have a new direction in front of them.

Well.... why? To answer your question is because they've made a million revisions of a very very expensive game for years and years. So we sorta assume they're willing to do that again with this. It isn't a stretch.

Jjp honestly did this to themselves. If they never showed us a triple spinner, they may have had done way better. People were upset they removed that feature but then realized the game was good anyhow. That and the chest could very well be why they flopped at first. Wish they never showed those features.... but now we will never know. :/

#1225 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Jjp honestly did this to themselves. If they never showed us a triple spinner, they may have had done way better. People were upset they removed that feature but then realized the game was good anyhow

I agree but disagree here is why...

1) I've said this now 500 times Pinsiders do NOT make up the majority of pinball buyers. Most when I say most probably up to 80 to 90% of all pinball is sold to people who know nothing about shots, rules, codes or anything else. I'm talking the mass mass mass majority. Where do you think all these Guns games are going... to people who don't collect pinball, but do collect everything associated with GUN N ROSES!

There is a reason ACDC, Metallica and Ghostbusters are three of the biggest Stern sellers EVER! THEME! THEME matters it matters the MOST not rules not code nothing anything. The biggest Stern sell ever was probably the original Pirates by Stern, it was released when the second movie came out. FYI... the second Pirates movie was the highest grossing of the franchise. People loved Pirates movie.

JJP releases their version a decade later when the Pirates movie where no longer popular. THEME matters, and when Pirates came out the THEME was old news. The general public who buys games for their basement which include air hockey, pool, darts they pick a pinball based on THEME! Pirates was OLD NEWS!

Fact is the game shouldn't have ever been made at all or it should have come out 2 years prior. There is no reason to make more Pirates games because despite everyone on Pinside loving the game, the general public has lost interest in the entire franchise.

2) The only people seeking out more Pirates games would be pinsiders but honestly how many would want the game? Maybe another 250 would do, but is it really worth it to stop the line for 250 wide body games when you've already moved on from wide body?? I doubt it. Wizard games have been added back to the line in the past because they needed to keep the lines going.

Now present day I think JJP is set to make only NEW GAMES ... Guns will keep them busy for six months, and then maybe you'll see Toy Story, and game 8 probably won't be far behind that. Remember Eric completed guns probably 6 to 8 months ago. Wonka was completed almost two years ago now... so you know Pat has already finished Toy Story and started his next game. Eric's next game is probably really far along.

Why would you turn back now when you have the future right in front of you?

There is only one reason because that game is so freaking cool but JJP has moved on and we should all be thankful! If JJP releases another game within 6 Months and then another 6 months later we'll finally have two pinball companies giving us new games on a regular basis. That isn't a bad thing is it?

#1226 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I agree but disagree here is why...
1) I've said this now 500 times Pinsiders do NOT make up the majority of pinball buyers. Most when I say most probably up to 80 to 90% of all pinball is sold to people who know nothing about shots, rules, codes or anything else. I'm talking the mass mass mass majority. Where do you think all these Guns games are going... to people who don't collect pinball, but do collect everything associated with GUN N ROSES!
There is a reason ACDC, Metallica and Ghostbusters are three of the biggest Stern sellers EVER! THEME! THEME matters it matters the MOST not rules not code nothing anything. The biggest Stern sell ever was probably the original Pirates by Stern, it was released when the second movie came out. FYI... the second Pirates movie was the highest grossing of the franchise. People loved Pirates movie.
JJP releases their version a decade later when the Pirates movie where no longer popular. THEME matters, and when Pirates came out the THEME was old news. The general public who buys games for their basement which include air hockey, pool, darts they pick a pinball based on THEME! Pirates was OLD NEWS!
Fact is the game shouldn't have ever been made at all or it should have come out 2 years prior. There is no reason to make more Pirates games because despite everyone on Pinside loving the game, the general public has lost interest in the entire franchise.
2) The only people seeking out more Pirates games would be pinsiders but honestly how many would want the game? Maybe another 250 would do, but is it really worth it to stop the line for 250 wide body games when you've already moved on from wide body?? I doubt it. Wizard games have been added back to the line in the past because they needed to keep the lines going.
Now present day I think JJP is set to make only NEW GAMES ... Guns will keep them busy for six months, and then maybe you'll see Toy Story, and game 8 probably won't be far behind that. Remember Eric completed guns probably 6 to 8 months ago. Wonka was completed almost two years ago now... so you know Pat has already finished Toy Story and started his next game. Eric's next game is probably really far along.
Why would you turn back now when you have the future right in front of you?
There is only one reason because that game is so freaking cool but JJP has moved on and we should all be thankful! If JJP releases another game within 6 Months and then another 6 months later we'll finally have two pinball companies giving us new games on a regular basis. That isn't a bad thing is it?

You have a lot of valid points, and hopeful pinsiders doesn't change the fact that expenses and moving, plus a dying license, and Disney issues, doesn't bode well for more games.

And I'll tell ya, GnR is fast! And if people on location were for some reason confused or disinterested in POTC, switching over to an older game, with less dynamic lighting, sound, and slower gameplay will not bring in on location demand....on TOP of potential bill of materials being most likely way higher.

Love it or loathe it....the ship may have sailed, sadly. Hopefully not.

#1227 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sweet, a row of microwaves! Whens lunch?

JJP is now producing a run of CE microwaves, confirmed by this photo.

#1228 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok so let's think this through:

- Design 22 new characters with new names, including the video assets in the UI
- New art package
- New playfield art - remember we need to rename and reskin the characters as well as all of the other theme-specific mentions
- New playfield elements - Black Pearl can't be Black Pearl any more, nor can Dauntless be Dauntless
- New video assets for the chapters (125 of them)
- New callouts, the Gibbs ones reciting POTC quotes won't make sense any more
- Do the coding changes and QA them

Do you really think JJP would put all of this effort in order to deliver this mediocre product outcome?
Do you really consider this a "simple swap?"

Never gonna happen. I feel certain JJP would rather put those resources into JJP7, 8 and 9.

#1229 3 years ago

Hopefully no armed militia dressed as pirates will storm JJP and demand POTC be put back on the production line. Actually, would that work? LOL.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Hopefully no armed militia dressed as pirates will storm JJP and demand POTC be put back on the production line. Actually, would that work? LOL.

That likely would be the only way it would happen.

#1231 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Worst idea ever

#1232 3 years ago

No. JJP will not make any more Pirates.

#1233 3 years ago

Pirates is done!

#1234 3 years ago

Maybe in 20 years, CGC can do remakes of JJP games...

#1235 3 years ago

Disagree. You’re welcome to your bombastic opinion. Theme held back this amazing pin if anything imo. Easy to swap in the art and code. Names and some visuals. Find and replace.

Edit: video assets would be hard I admit.

#1236 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Disagree. You’re welcome to your bombastic opinion. Theme held back this amazing pin if anything imo. Easy to swap in the art and code. Names and some visuals. Find and replace.

Wow.

#1237 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m sure Disney would be just fine with this idea as well. :/

#1238 3 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I’m sure Disney would be just fine with this idea as well. :/

Not that I care enough to make this an argument, it was just an idea. But I wonder if Disney has any say over what would be basically an original layout, Music, art, etc? Like reverse licensing kinda? Honest question.

#1239 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Not that I care enough to make this an argument, it was just an idea. But I wonder if Disney has any say over what would be basically an original layout, Music, art, etc? Like reverse licensing kinda? Honest question.

If JJP were to take the POTC design and remake it into something different (say another rock band pin), then it is unlikely Disney would care too much (and probably wouldn't contractually have much say in the matter).

However, if they remade it into "generic pirates theme", then Disney would (rightfully) have a claim about JJP trying to get "free mileage" from the Disney property, and could probably make them stop.

Note, however, that even if they re-made it into some "not Disney related" pin, it could easily piss off the people at Disney licensing - making negotiations over future properties (i.e. Toy Story, etc.) less pleasant.

Assuming that JJP currently has a good relationship with Disney, they are probably not likely to want to put that at risk. Just my opinion.

#1240 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

If JJP were to take the POTC design and remake it into something different (say another rock band pin), then it is unlikely Disney would care too much (and probably wouldn't contractually have much say in the matter).
However, if they remade it into "generic pirates theme", then Disney would (rightfully) have a claim about JJP trying to get "free mileage" from the Disney property, and could probably make them stop.
Note, however, that even if they re-made it into some "not Disney related" pin, it could easily piss off the people at Disney licensing - making negotiations over future properties (i.e. Toy Story, etc.) less pleasant.
Assuming that JJP currently has a good relationship with Disney, they are probably not likely to want to put that at risk. Just my opinion.

Good points. I wonder if Disney would pay enough attention to notice though.

#1241 3 years ago

You guys convinced me. I picked one up on the secondary market. Great game!

20201009_193401 (resized).jpg20201009_193401 (resized).jpg
#1242 3 years ago

To JJP it’s been there done that. Let’s face it at any given time there are examples of pirates for sale on Pinside. I just bought an LE last week for $13,500. I know it’s a inflated price, but it’s basically a CE price. Look how fast the GNR CE’s sold out. If Pirates truly had the demand that warranted another run the ones on Pinside market wouldn’t be sitting there for weeks on end.

#1243 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

You guys convinced me. I picked one up on the secondary market. Great game!
[quoted image]

You got the RAREST version.

#1244 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Good points. I wonder if Disney would pay enough attention to notice though.

LOL. As Woody said so eloquently, “we toys see everything....”

#1245 3 years ago

I'm wondering if this machine was produced in such low numbers due to it being a technological nightmare?

AND/OR

They wanted to wait until they were out of danger from law suits due to the infamous crap Mirco clear coat debacle. Mean while they had to keep moving forward to stay alive. If the problem was the playfield debacle then I largely suspect JJP will make another run. If it's the technological nightmare theory then they'll wash their hands of it and never look back. LTG does a lot of support. He'd have an opinion I'd value on the tech matter.

#1246 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I'm wondering if this machine was produced in such low numbers due to it being a technological nightmare?
AND/OR
They wanted to wait until they were out of danger from law suits due to the infamous crap Mirco clear coat debacle. Mean while they had to keep moving forward to stay alive. If the problem was the playfield debacle then I largely suspect JJP will make another run. If it's the technological nightmare theory then they'll wash their hands of it and never look back. LTG does a lot of support. He'd have an opinion I'd value on the tech matter.

Seriously doubt it had anything to do with playfield lawsuits. ALL the manufacturers had issue yet the world is still spinning.

#1247 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seriously doubt it had anything to do with playfield lawsuits. ALL the manufacturers had issue yet the world is still spinning.

Yes and the timeline is off for that theory too.

#1248 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Yes and the timeline is off for that theory too.

Truth be finally told. We (the POTC keepers of the CODA) keep Eric flush with microbrew beer so he Never considers making any more and our Precious will forever be the one that got away dream game. lol JK!!!

22222 (resized).jpg22222 (resized).jpg
#1249 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Truth be finally told. We (the POTC keepers of the CODA) keep Eric flush with microbrew beer so he Never considers making any more and our Precious will forever be the one that got away dream game. lol JK!!!
[quoted image]

Didn’t work out too well for Gollum in the end, if I recall.

#1250 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

[quoted image]

You ever tried this one Yelo? I recommended it to @hogbog. Probably in your area more so than mine. Bought 2 six packs, then saw it pop up again just now, and had to buy a case! Perfect blend of pumpkin pie AND whip cream. Not overly sweet. Also not all spice or cinnamon laden.

Rounded off with a sub for dinner to make up for the lack of owning a GnR this weekend!

20201010_181527 (resized).jpg20201010_181527 (resized).jpg20201010_185338 (resized).jpg20201010_185338 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/25?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.