9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 28.
#1101 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Boils down to this-
Current potc owners constantly say no way more are being made, and if they do make more it will reduce its mystique. Basically they just don’t want their game to lose value, and that’s all they really care about.
People without the game want more made so we don’t have to pay the ridiculous inflated prices that potc has brought in.
I say if another run of 300-500 would profit jjp, and service the customers demand, then why wouldn’t they do another run? People shouldn’t buy a game with intention to make a profit, but rather because they want to own the game. I hope jjp does make more. They may not until after gnr is in production, but I think the demand is there to sell a quick few hundred games with little effort on jjp part. I went through the same thing owning my AC/DC premium before the vault was announced. I didn’t sell for a profit, but still own it. Guess what, I’m ok!! My game isn’t as valuable as it once was, but I can still get a fair price out of it. Again, I’m ok and I’m happy others were able to get a nib AC/DC and enjoy a great game.

I don't care if they re-run them, I didn't pay a premium for mine and I am not selling mine either. I've got my spare NOS playfield, mini playfield, boat motor, plastics set, decal set, ramp decal set and cabinet decal set. I could practically build another game at this point. I'm in it for the long haul.

I honestly think there has to be a good reason why they stopped production and haven't done or even announced a re-run yet. Same situation with Stern and Tron. The BOM on that game is nothing. Pros go for crazy money for that stripped down game and they could make a bunch for cheap and sell them...but they don't. They know they could so there has to be another reason. Is it out of their control? Both are Disney properties that Disney isn't super hot on right now, is that the reason or is it something else? Who knows...

#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

The window has likely expired? How do you know?

Exactly. So many assumptions are being made that the window has closed. Even if it did, JJP may have a renewal option. Maybe they have the rights to make a certain number of machines versus as many as they could within a past timeframe. And haven't they been selling WOZ pins for around seven years now? I'm not claiming to be an expert or know all of the facts, but for every speculative reason they couldn't or wouldn't make more there are probably just as many as to why they could or would.

#1103 3 years ago

I’ve been in the school of there’s gonna be more for a long time. I sold my LE in part because I was convinced, especially after talking to Jack himself. Times change. Jack is saying, never mind more than never say never, at this point. Just today I was getting a part for my game(they exist!) and asked tech support. No way, ever, was the answer. But if I’m JJP, and have some downtime between runs of GNR and Toy Story, why wouldn’t I make more games? They could sell 500-1000 more imo. Jack also thought they should have run that many more to begin with. It’s possible that Disney might be the rate limiting step. It appears Universal and MGM are easier to work with. But JJP is frankly too busy moving, setting up, and planning production for future games. A “vault” line like Stern seems likely to me if they are successful with their next couple of machines. Let me make something up: they will negotiate more rights as they navigate content issues with Disney over Toy Story.

#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I’ve been in the school of there’s gonna be more for a long time. I sold my LE in part because I was convinced, especially after talking to Jack himself. Times change. Jack is saying, never mind more than never say never, at this point. Just today I was getting a part for my game(they exist!) and asked tech support. No way, ever, was the answer. But if I’m JJP, and have some downtime between runs of GNR and Toy Story, why wouldn’t I make more games? They could sell 500-1000 more imo. Jack also thought they should have run that many more to begin with. It’s possible that Disney might be the rate limiting step. It appears Universal and MGM are easier to work with. But JJP is frankly too busy moving, setting up, and planning production for future games. A “vault” line like Stern seems likely to me if they are successful with their next couple of machines. Let me make something up: they will negotiate more rights as they navigate content issues with Disney over Toy Story.

What part were you picking up? I think I have bought every part that was...and some that weren't publicly available. If it exists and I don't have it, I would be interested in potentially grabbing one too.

#1105 3 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

The key issue is about what the original owners DIDNT get for the money they spent in the first place if a subsequent run with fixed playfields came out

Welcome to JJP. Ask any owner of the pre-2.0 lighting WOZ machines (the vast majority) how they feel about shelling out $800 plus 12+ hours of labor to fix a JJP design flaw.

#1106 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

What part were you picking up? I think I have bought every part that was...and some that weren't publicly available. If it exists and I don't have it, I would be interested in potentially grabbing one too.

The treasure chest scoop assay. The metal tab holding it down on the right broke where it connects. $54 for the whole assay, which seemed good given the size. I’ll weld the old one and have a backup.

#1107 3 years ago

At this rate, a run of POTC is more likely than GNR. Ha ha ha it’s been almost two months since a teaser video for what? Innovation?

#1108 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

At this rate, a run of POTC is more likely than GNR. Ha ha ha it’s been almost two months since a teaser video for what? Innovation?

At what rate. Lol. JJP just posted a birthday video for Slash. GnR is eventual, PoTC is never again or silence depending on which you believe. And it's not like they could 'officially' say PoTC never coming back. The question would be why. And if Disney licensing is then uttered and word gets back, especially if that IS the reason, they could then probably kiss the business relationship goodbye forever.

#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Right. JJP is now selling the WOZ YBR version for $11.5 with a stripped out monkey mech. WOZ was originally $6,500 for early adapters and now that price has almost doubled for WOZ in 7 years and now you get less for it. If, and that is a big if, they do another run of Pirates there is 0 chance that the price on it will be $9,500 as it was originally and there is a decent chance that they remove a feature for price/reliability purposes.
With all the distancing Disney is doing from Johnny Depp, even after it seems the abuse allegations were fabricated, and apparently moving forward with Margot Robbie as the lead character in future Pirates movies, I seriously doubt if Disney would license more pins with his mug all over them anyway at this point.

I would prefer a Margot Robbie JJP Pirates!
And can we stop giving Jack Ideas about if they do another run to charge 2k more?

#1110 3 years ago

FWIW I am an owner, figured a rerun was inevitable but still felt the game was well worth keeping; it has been my most played game since I have had it (now around 1 and a quarter years). Dialed-In gets a similar amount of play, just the games on Dialed In are often shorter.

I guess I lucked out in that my Pirates seems fine; no big unfixable drama. Playfield seems okay.

Bottom line is after looking at things develop I would be surprised if they end up doing another run now, and if they do it certainly won't be for $9500. That would be like expecting them to rerun WoZ for $6500 at this point. I mean really!

Anything is possible, but if licensing expired, even getting however many actors to sign off again and pay them again would be big barrier compared to rerunning something like ACDC where in theory you are just negotiating the agreement with a band representative. Not 23 different representatives...

#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW I am an owner, figured a rerun was inevitable but still felt the game was well worth keeping; it has been my most played game since I have had it (now around 1 and a quarter years). Dialed-In gets a similar amount of play, just the games on Dialed In are often shorter.
I guess I lucked out in that my Pirates seems fine; no big unfixable drama. Playfield seems okay.
Bottom line is after looking at things develop I would be surprised if they end up doing another run now, and if they do it certainly won't be for $9500. That would be like expecting them to rerun WoZ for $6500 at this point. I mean really!
Anything is possible, but if licensing expired, even getting however many actors to sign off again and pay them again would be big barrier compared to rerunning something like ACDC where in theory you are just negotiating the agreement with a band representative. Not 23 different representatives...

I wouldn’t bet on license expiration. COVID could toll some of those time periods and even if the contract isn’t explicit, there could be some reasonable understanding coming from Disney given the circumstances.

#1112 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I wouldn’t bet on license expiration. COVID could toll some of those time periods and even if the contract isn’t explicit, there could be some reasonable understanding coming from Disney given the circumstances.

Not how licensing works though.

#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Welcome to JJP. Ask any owner of the pre-2.0 lighting WOZ machines (the vast majority) how they feel about shelling out $800 plus 12+ hours of labor to fix a JJP design flaw.

A majority of WOZ ECLE owners with pre 2.0 boards have never had an issue with their games light boards. My ECLE has 7.5v boards and has never had an issue, have heard the same from many others. I did pickup the 2.0 kit just a precaution for years down the road as I never plan to sell the game. Does it suck? Yes but WOZ was also JJP's first game, on a new custom platform, new light system, and they decided to make what is considered the most complex / loaded pin of all time as their first game. JJP learned from their mistakes, corrected the issue and it's been corrected now for over 5 years. Also, the earliest WOZ's with 5v boards were supported by JJP with new boards for well over a year. The WOZ's built within the first few months with 5v unbuffered boards failed the most.

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not how licensing works though.

How so? Only hard and fast time periods with no force majeure clauses that could explicitly cover or implicitly cover time periods in which a business is shutdown by the government? Just asking as I don’t know.

#1115 3 years ago

Its not about the appreciation in my eyes getting squashed upon a reissue that's for me the issue- not really.
No. The key issue is about what the original owners DIDNT get for the money they spent in the first place if a subsequent run with fixed playfields came out, even if they jacked the price a bit.
Look, if they re-run the game and JJP wants to send the first 1000 owners a populated fixed playfield to drop into their machines then I'd say its all fair-square.
I'll even put return to sender on the token empty one they sent that is under my bed.

That’s the risk nib buyers take on. AC/DC had foggy lower level windows originally, and the vault fixed a known issue. It’s always better to wait a bit with new releases, but I still think it’s beneficial for more people than not if they made more potc.

#1116 3 years ago

This reminds me of the Ironman threads of old about licensing issues and how it would never get remade. Now it's been remade 2X

#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

How so? Only hard and fast time periods with no force majeure clauses that could explicitly cover or implicitly cover time periods in which a business is shutdown by the government? Just asking as I don’t know.

Hard and fast exact date time periods. Has nothing to do with “government shutdown”, Disney licensing agreements are NOT unclear. Falls into the category of “tough luck, pal.” They could be granted an extension of the contract allows, but typically this is for a specific time period and not just “we were shut down for a few months, sorry!” Depends on their terms though.

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does it suck? Yes

Try stopping there next time. The elongated defense predicated on a presumption that they deserve a pass for being ambitious is ridiculous. Plenty of 7.5v boards fail and you really can’t get around the absurdity of daisy chaining all of the pre-2.0 boards like cheap Christmas tree lights. When a company screws up on basic electrical engineering that badly and then sticks their customers with a hefty bill, there’s really no defense.

Rant over - back to pirate speculation.

#1119 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hard and fast exact date time periods. Disney licensing agreements are NOT unclear.

Exactly. Disney is not going to "help a guy out" just to be nice.

Assuming that JJP does not have some sort of (unusual) re-issue clause, they would not only have to repurchase the license, but would need to go through the lengthy product approval process again. Yes, it would probably be easier the second time through, but it would not be automatic. And who knows how many other people would have to sign off again (Depp, etc.).

Unless JJP can expect a new large run of games (not the 300-500 that people are talking about here), it is unlikely that it would make economic sense - regardless of how many pinsiders would like it.

Personally, I think it would be great if they could re-issue it. I just find it very unlikely - unless they can do a new full-size run of games updated for whenever the next movie gets released. And even then, it would probably be better to just do a whole new game design in that case.

#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

It’s always better to wait a bit with new releases

Not with POTC and R&M - you snooze you lose. Which sucks, but that is the way it is. I would think that JJP at least will try to make more POTC if at all possible. Spooky apparently had a hard max that they can't ignore.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Exactly. Disney is not going to "help a guy out" just to be nice.
Assuming that JJP does not have some sort of (unusual) re-issue clause, they would not only have to repurchase the license, but would need to go through the lengthy product approval process again. Yes, it would probably be easier the second time through, but it would not be automatic. And who knows how many other people would have to sign off again (Depp, etc.).
Unless JJP can expect a new large run of games (not the 300-500 that people are talking about here), it is unlikely that it would make economic sense - regardless of how many pinsiders would like it.
Personally, I think it would be great if they could re-issue it. I just find it very unlikely - unless they can do a new full-size run of games updated for whenever the next movie gets released. And even then, it would probably be better to just do a whole new game design in that case.

I STILL think that they could get away with not relicensing the game, and just reissuing the layout and rule set with a tweaked set of art. I couldn't possibly care less about the Pirates movies, and was going to skip this one until I actually played it and couldn't get it out of my head

#1122 3 years ago

I don’t buy all of the rumored demand for more.

It’s simply the old adage that people want what they can’t get whether it be POTC or a GB topper or anything limited for that matter.

This all changes of course when the next best thing comes out whether it be GNR,Led Zep, Toy Story etc...

It will be forgotten then

#1123 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s simply the old adage that people want what they can’t get whether it be POTC or a GB topper or anything limited for that matter.
This all changes of course when the next best thing comes out whether it be GNR,Led Zep, Toy Story etc...

Bring on Toy Story. There's a jackpot in my boot!!

#1124 3 years ago

Or how about Tron. I bet tons of Stern fans would love it to come back as a Vault. But its Disney licensing- again.

#1125 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I STILL think that they could get away with not relicensing the game, and just reissuing the layout and rule set with a tweaked set of art. I couldn't possibly care less about the Pirates movies, and was going to skip this one until I actually played it and couldn't get it out of my head

I guess that depends upon what you mean by "get away with". If you mean they could avoid the Disney licensing issues by doing a re-skin, then yes, they almost certainly could.

But would the 300-500 people who supposedly want a POTC remake be willing to shell out big bucks for a game featuring "Pirate John" and "Black Sails Ship"? That's not nearly so certain.

#1126 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Wouldn´t it be easy for jjp to test?
Make people commit at 1.5k or so, then if viable, do it, otherwise refund.

#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Wouldn´t it be easy for jjp to test?
Make people commit at 1.5k or so, then if viable, do it, otherwise refund.

I said something similar a while back about a hefty deposit to gauge interest.
I don’t exactly recall but isn’t that what JJP does anyway? I think I had to give at least a 1k deposit when I ordered my POTC nib.

The game is coming up on three years since reveal and if GNR and Toy Story are coming in the relatively near future the timing just doesn’t make sense since they would literally be competing with themselves on new sales.

Like I said before, once something really good and somewhat on par with POTC comes out, the demand will wane especially if the price point is equal to or lower than a POTC.

All just my opinion of course.

#1128 3 years ago

I really enjoy JJP Pirates, but the more I think about it, the more it bugs me that the only voice you hear in the game is Gibbs. At least Stern Pirates got the Johnny Depp sound alike and several other piratey sounding guys. It's a particularly finicky license with them. I really hope Toy Story has more asset freedom and we get some good custom voice work along with actual movie audio.

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I really enjoy JJP Pirates, but the more I think about it, the more it bugs me that the only voice you hear in the game is Gibbs. At least Stern Pirates got the Johnny Depp sound alike and several other piratey sounding guys. It's a particularly finicky license with them. I really hope Toy Story has more asset freedom and we get some good custom voice work along with actual movie audio.

Well, I would assume that custom voice work from either Tom Hanks or Tim Allen would be very pricey. Maybe they could get John Ratzenberger or one of the other actors to do it for less, but Disney would also be quite protective of whatever "their" characters say.

However, I would think that even if they can only use actual clips from the movies, that would still provide quite a lot of material to use.

#1130 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, I would assume that custom voice work from either Tom Hanks or Tim Allen would be very pricey. Maybe they could get John Ratzenberger or one of the other actors to do it for less, but Disney would also be quite protective of whatever "their" characters say.
However, I would think that even if they can only use actual clips from the movies, that would still provide quite a lot of material to use.

I think John or Wallace Shawn are good possibilities. Also, Tom's brother, Jim Hanks does all the Woody voice work outside of the theatrical films, so he could be a possibility. He does the direct to video things like Toy Story of Terror and any of the video games, etc.

#1131 3 years ago

I really enjoy JJP Pirates, but the more I think about it, the more it bugs me that the only voice you hear in the game is Gibbs. ...

This has never bothered me. I guess because the Gibbs callouts as well as the accompanying sound effects and music are so fantastic.

While the potential for added video and callouts from the movies is so great with additional licensing, the immersive vibe that JJP has created in Pirates is really amazing given the limited rights that they had to work with.

#1132 3 years ago

I think John or Wallace Shawn are good possibilities. Also, Tom's brother, Jim Hanks does all the Woody voice work outside of the theatrical films, so he could be a possibility. He does the direct to video things like Toy Story of Terror and any of the video games, etc.

Tom did Toy Story of Terror. Jim Hanks only does the video games and commercials, and I think he was Woody in the Buzz Lightyear cartoon but that’s it. Anyway, guaranteed Jim would do VO for the JJP game.

#1133 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Wouldn’t they still need to get approval from all the toy mfg’s used for the toys in movie?

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I guess that depends upon what you mean by "get away with". If you mean they could avoid the Disney licensing issues by doing a re-skin, then yes, they almost certainly could.
But would the 300-500 people who supposedly want a POTC remake be willing to shell out big bucks for a game featuring "Pirate John" and "Black Sails Ship"? That's not nearly so certain.

They'd have to also redo all the video and gameplay screen and animations, the avatars, everything. All traces of the movies characters and the license then start from scratch, for a limited re-run? This will not happen, dude.

#1135 3 years ago

They'd have to also redo all the video and gameplay screen and animations, the avatars, everything. All traces of the movies characters and the license then start from scratch, for a limited re-run? This will not happen, dude.

If they're doing that, might as well see if they could apply a different license - something a little more economical and timely, perhaps. Doesn't have to be a pirate theme at all

#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If they're doing that, might as well see if they could apply a different license - something a little more economical and timely, perhaps. Doesn't have to be a pirate theme at all

Don't bet the farm or even a dollar. I don't think games conceived from scratch to be without licenses have done super well, be it Dialed In or Black Knight Sword of Rage. Plus the technical challenges of the game were a nightmare. I think they write this off under experimental on their taxes and don't look back.

#1137 3 years ago

I was not claiming that I thought this would happen...I was stating that they COULD do this (as in "are permitted to"). I was not claiming that it was practical or would be profitable or should be expected.

As a matter of fact, I was directly doubting that this would be reasonable for a small re-run.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The game is coming up on three years since reveal and if GNR and Toy Story are coming in the relatively near future the timing just doesn’t make sense since they would literally be competing with themselves on new sales.

Not to mention consuming Wonka sales, which is the "older" game, along with produced Dialed In's, that I'm sure they'd prefer to sell, parts being ordered, and units already existing.

Just saw this too...

Notice Pirates sitting next door, all shiny and pretty, sans hashtags...? No salesmanship at all there.

Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1139 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Notice Pirates sitting next door, all shiny and pretty, sans hashtags...? No salesmanship at all there. [quoted image]

Why apply salesmanship until you have something to sell again?

#1140 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Why apply salesmanship until you have something to sell again?

Eh, I dunno. Pirates always feels like the proverbial red headed pinball game from JJP. Hype is where the money is made.

1 month later
#1141 3 years ago
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpegF36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
#1142 3 years ago

For now we have to assume that JJP is done making more POTC's....... But that could change at any moment. JJP could (officialy) say something about making more / or / done making pirates, but offcourse they don't have to. As long as there's no statement from JJP, there's always a chance I guess........

#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

For now we have to assume that JJP is done making more POTC's....... But that could change at any moment. JJP could (officialy) say something about making more / or / done making pirates, but offcourse they don't have to. As long as there's no statement from JJP, there's always a chance I guess........

There's always a chance even if they said never again and gave the reasons. That's how human brains work. Nothing's ever truly done so long as people continue to believe. Like that Walt Disney is in cryo sleep.

#1144 3 years ago

Can they make a bunch of money??

then my guess would be yes.

#1145 3 years ago

Here is how you can get your JJPOTC game, and even get it for free:

Call JJP up and offer to buy 1000 POTC games for 10 million bucks.

Once they agree, wire them the 10 million.

Sell 999 games for $12,000 each.

Save one for yourself.

Put the $1,988,000 profit in the bank.

Play your free POTC.

Seems easy, right?

#1146 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Save one for yourself.
Play your free POTC.
Seems easy, right?

Oh, great. Thanks a lot. You told everybody my plan. Now I'm gonna have to come up with another one.

#1147 3 years ago

If they aren’t going to finish the code then no more games.

#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Save one for yourself.
Play your free POTC.
Seems easy, right?

You should take that business plan to a bank and get a loan. It’s so compelling, who wouldn’t give you money?

#1149 3 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Oh, great. Thanks a lot. You told everybody my plan. Now I'm gonna have to come up with another one.

It's not really a secret...It sounds a lot like deeproot's business plan.

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

It's not really a secret...It sounds a lot like deeproot's business plan.

Deeproot has Pinball?!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.