9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 28.
#601 3 years ago

Question is how many people really want them? Like ready to plop down 12k cash vs just bsing with pin friends? Part of the demand right now is the perceived rarity because they aren’t being made. If it becomes easy to get, part of the demand dries up.

JJP would be dumb to purchase 500 sets of parts (or whatever the order size must be to be cost effective) without being very sure of the demand. As in actual orders from distributors.

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Question is how many people really want them? Like ready to plop down 12k cash vs just bsing with pin friends? Part of the demand right now is the perceived rarity because they aren’t being made. If it becomes easy to get, part of the demand dries up.
JJP would be dumb to purchase 500 sets of parts (or whatever the order size must be to be cost effective) without being very sure of the demand. As in actual orders from distributors.

True enough, but what is more desirable than a pirates with no worries of playfield issues? I could see people selling their old ones with a few issues showing up for cheaper to upgrade to a new one. Everyone wins. Not to mention the extra parts on the market.

#603 3 years ago

I hope it does happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They can't afford to stock wire forms let alone allocate the cash to make another 500-1000 games. I think this was orchestrated to get some positive JJP news into the market place.

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

True enough, but what is more desirable than a pirates with no worries of playfield issues? I could see people selling their old ones with a few issues showing up for cheaper to upgrade to a new one. Everyone wins. Not to mention the extra parts on the market.

I don’t disagree that it makes sense in abstract. If you are the company that needs to gamble a million or so (or more) on parts just to get started you probably want concrete demand evidence first.

#605 3 years ago

no way people are willing to drop 12k+ on the game for a new run.

IF they can do the price in line with other games they produce then they can easily sell 500 based on demand.
The handful of games change hands at that inflated price as people like to try it out but also dont want to be stuck holding the potato.

Most understand and logically assume that the new run is coming eventually and JJP comments further solidify that deduction as they gauge interest.
JJP is smart enough to know that 12k+ is just a secondary price due to the limited supply. As soon as they announce they are taking orders, then the first run drops below the new run price (even if a few mechs are tweaked, people will favor the newer build quality over parts that can be added from modders).

Love seeing the comments as it makes it clearr that it will be done eventually.

#606 3 years ago

Yeah, I don't buy this rumor that the price would be $12,000. They were making money on this game at the price they sold them for, assuming the opposite is assuming everyone at jjp can't understand a BOM. Maybe not as much as they wanted especially given the sales, but they made money.

And the comment about contact your distributor isn't new, Jack said that many many months ago in an interview. They clearly will make more if there is demand. I agree the inflated price is due to the scarcity. If more get made the price comes down. Sorry folks, just my opinion and you are entitled to yours. I'd buy another standard at the original price, so I guess I should contact my distro

#607 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I guess I should contact my distro

Yeah, I think anyone interested should reach out and tell their distro.

Pretty evident that JJP is ready to make this happen if there is enough interest to warrant it.

#608 3 years ago

This isn't scientific by any means but based on weight alone The Hobbit playfield seems like a good 20 - 40 lbs heavier than Pirates, and Dialed In's maybe 10 - 20lbs heavier despite being a standard body game. When I looked at the underside of my Pirates it didn't seem as packed as Hobbit, Dialed In, especially with the triple disk mech removed. Now Pirates does have the Black Pearl mini playfield which is a huge mech and something you don't see when looking at the underside of the game. My point is that I think JJP could still sell Pirates at $9500 and make a profit with those heavier games being priced a bit lower.

Could JJP charge $10k - $12k and sell out a smaller WOZ Yellow Brick Road style run? Yes, easily. What I don't know is if Pirates would sell well again in large numbers. When JJP completes the code I suppose they could always use that time to announce a new run.

#609 3 years ago

The interview revealed something that most people forgot. Everyone was bagging on Pirates HARD after discgate and chestgate. I think demand increased after Wonka was revealed and it wasn't what people were expecting, and they announced no more pirates will be made. That is just my opinion.

I placed my order for a Pirates after Wonka was revealed.

Will they charge more than $9500? I think they will. WoZ YBR set that standard.

#610 3 years ago

I expect A LOT of price defense from current owners. It is natural and understood, but not going to happen.

JJP is pretty smart on pricing. I predict we see a new standard model with their base price and a new blinged out model that hits the higher priced people already willing to buy on the secondary. They have the whole "manage perceptions" and "maximize profits" thing down pretty well.

#611 3 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

The interview revealed something that most people forgot. Everyone was bagging on Pirates HARD after discgate and chestgate. I think demand increased after Wonka was revealed and it wasn't what people were expecting, and they announced no more pirates will be made. That is just my opinion.
I placed my order for a Pirates after Wonka was revealed.
Will they charge more than $9500? I think they will. WoZ YBR set that standard.

I think JJP has to sell their standard at 8K and their LEs for less than 10K to make it long term. They can't keep doing 10K+ machines...that is just too much for a pin to sell well.

#612 3 years ago

It’s not just about making a profit but what will make them the most profit and return-on-investment. The owners have likely sunk 10’s of millions into the Company, and are bleeding more everyday given the virus, with little to nothing so far to show for in return. If they make more Pirates it’s likely because their new games are somehow off-track from plan.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

It’s not just about making a profit but what will make them the most profit and return-on-investment. The owners have likely sunk 10’s of millions into the Company, and are bleeding more everyday given the virus, with little to nothing so far to show for in return. If they make more Pirates it’s likely because their new games are somehow off-track from plan.

When they make more POTC, it will be to hit the right timing to pull money in the market.

Could be to span the line post move, could be before or after GNR to maximize sales, could be in combination with GNR to run them both at the same time and take options and money off the table.

Hell, I would love to see a special package price deal. Buy both POTC and GNR and get a $500 discount

#614 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

If they have the parts on hand, it’s more likely to just get the line moving and cash coming in. POTC would sell out if they did a short run. They have done it with success with WOZ up until YBR.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

If they have the parts on hand

That's a big if.

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

If they have the parts on hand, it’s more likely to just get the line moving and cash coming in. POTC would sell out if they did a short run. They have done it with success with WOZ up until YBR.

There in lies the problem....they don't have parts, which means they need to allocate cash reserves to order enough parts to make a reasonable run. I could see them making a "black pearl" version and charging out the ass for it ($12K+)....my bet is theres almost a zero chance they'll make more POTC LE's at the same price. People with money a some point expect a return on their investment (I don't care how much money u have), and they can say it was demand, but the reality is they didn't make enough $ per game to justify the investment. Making new games that are far cheaper to manufacture makes all the sense in the world.

#617 3 years ago

This adhoc "tell your dealer you want one" is not going to make this happen.

I feel certain dealers field calls all the time_ from people asking for POTC. So more of that isn't going to do the trick.

What we need is a centralized list of committed buyers in one place, in one list.

#618 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What we need is a centralized list of committed buyers in one place, in one list.

sounds like that may be now happening?

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds like that may be now happening?

Where? All we have heard is the same canned response from JJP which is talk to your distributor. Sounds like a Pharma commercial:

"Talk to your distributor to see if Pirates of the Caribbean might be right for you"

#620 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It won’t happen. Jjp would be foolish to do a run based on “expressed demand”. They will also need to charge north of $12k to make a run work, particularly if it’s a small run. My guess is PL won’t allow it.

Do you know the BOM of POTC? Do you know how much they will make? Pretty sure you dont and JJP does. If it makes financial sense, why wouldnt they rerun. The demand is there.

Why do you think WOZ was re-run? People/distributors asked for it.

#621 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I feel certain dealers field calls all the time_ from people asking for POTC. So more of that isn't going to do the trick.

Key word being "committed" which would have to involve a cash deposit of some sort. Talk is cheap.

Set a price and collect a $1000 deposit with a guaranteed refund if the game isn't made.

#622 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Do you know the BOM of POTC? Do you know how much they will make? Pretty sure you dont and JJP does. If it makes financial sense, why wouldnt they rerun. The demand is there.

I'm pretty sure nobody asked for a WOZ YBR version

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm pretty sure nobody asked for a WOZ YBR version

Ok I guess thats why non have sold.

#624 3 years ago

Here's what JJP could do. They could start making up to 882 Aztec Gold Edition games representing the 882 Aztec gold pieces from the first film. Each game could have one of these symbols made of metal attached to the apron and numbered with a nice plaque. Announce the game with the next big code update and sell them for $10k - $12k each with gold powder coat armour. I bet this type of model would sell well, probably really well at $10k.

c543c73d44358f14e4169518f98e6609 (resized).pngc543c73d44358f14e4169518f98e6609 (resized).png

#625 3 years ago

I love mine, I’ve said it was was the best pin made to date since they started selling them. I still feel that way, mine is on route. I’d sell it and buy a new one in a heartbeat if it were a new addition like black pearl and probably route it too.

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Where? All we have heard is the same canned response from JJP which is talk to your distributor. Sounds like a Pharma commercial:
"Talk to your distributor to see if Pirates of the Caribbean might be right for you"

"Don't play POTC if you are allergic to POTC"

#627 3 years ago

I love how (besides Bud) there are a bunch of current owners trying to negative nancy this, lol.

Anyone interested should call your distributor and asked to be put on the list. Sounds more promising that it has in the past and you may want to be on that list (in case they do a set/limited additional run)

Quoted from davisjl1979:

Set a price and collect a $1000 deposit with a guaranteed refund if the game isn't made.

makes sense to me and I would assume 500 spots would fill quickly on that (assuming price is in line with normal pricing)

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This isn't scientific by any means but based on weight alone The Hobbit playfield seems like a good 20 - 40 lbs heavier than Pirates, and Dialed In's maybe 10 - 20lbs heavier despite being a standard body game. When I looked at the underside of my Pirates it didn't seem as packed as Hobbit, Dialed In, especially with the triple disk mech removed. Now Pirates does have the Black Pearl mini playfield which is a huge mech and something you don't see when looking at the underside of the game. My point is that I think JJP could still sell Pirates at $9500 and make a profit with those heavier games being priced a bit lower.
Could JJP charge $10k - $12k and sell out a smaller WOZ Yellow Brick Road style run? Yes, easily. What I don't know is if Pirates would sell well again in large numbers. When JJP completes the code I suppose they could always use that time to announce a new run.

No sure how weight applies to a game value but Eric also answered that odd question in the video and Pirates was their heaviest game to date. Now we can pay by the pound. Weighing in at 395 I believe he said.

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Disney has no reason to renew the Tron license other than money, at least with pirates they could spin it as promoting the franchise that has a new movie coming soon.

Disney’s profits are down 90% that was the first quarter of the year when covid was not as big of a deal as this current quarter. I think Disney would jump at any new revenue.

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I love how (besides Bud) there are a bunch of current owners trying to negative nancy this, lol.
Anyone interested should call your distributor and asked to be put on the list. Sounds more promising that it has in the past and you may want to be on that list (in case they do a set/limited additional run)

makes sense to me and I would assume 500 spots would fill quickly on that (assuming price is in line with normal pricing)

Have to agree. It’s a simple petition of sorts. If people would like to see it done just let your distributors know. A wish list of 500 or so would certainly get their attention.

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just because someone disagrees with you? There really aren't a lot of owners being negative...just objective. Based on what little info that is out there, it doesn't look like they are really pushing to make POTC again. I hope that they do. I really want them to make more games so we can get more available parts!

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sounds more promising that it has in the past and you may want to be on that list (in case they do a set/limited additional run)(assuming price is in line with normal pricing)

There is no official list...only contact your distributor. Why do you continue to twist and embellish what little info that is out there?

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

There is no official list...only contact your distributor.

I am interested in buying one. Add your name if you are interested.

1. LukyDuck

#634 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

There is no official list...only contact your distributor. Why do you continue to twist and embellish what little info that is out there?

I specifically reached out to distributors and they made it clear that they are assembling a list.

Not sure what embellishment you think that is.

Objectively, it is pretty obvious that JJP is looking to assemble actual "interested" list to gauge a path fwd on a new run.
Get enough names that you trust (from ask distributors "hey, how many of these are real") and it will happen.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#635 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Create a Pinside thread with a poll?

#636 3 years ago

I have reached out to a distributor asking to be placed on the list. Put me on the pinside list of the jjp list! I did specify I'm interested at original pricing though

#637 3 years ago

Isnt GNR the next JJP?
Isnt there another pin in the cue after a band pin?
How many Yellow brick roads sold?
How long will covid disrupt supply chain and getting back to work?
Were 2 to 3 years from seeing this despite our hopes and wishes.
Then if they make them, how many will still be interested and have money? 10k pins may be a hard sell for several years to come. Financially the country is going to take the same 2 to 3 year hit.

#638 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I specifically reached out to distributors and they made it clear that they are assembling a list.
Objectively, it is pretty obvious that JJP is looking to assemble actual "interested" list to gauge a path fwd on a new run.
Get enough names that you trust (from ask distributors "hey, how many of these are real") and it will happen.

Assembling a list of potential buyers is a waste of time....conversation probably goes like this:

Distributor "would u be interested in a new POTC LE if they remade the game"

Potential buyer "sure I'm interested, when are they building it and whats the price"..."

Distributor "Ahhh not sure, but I assume its the same"

Potential buyer "well let me know when u know"

Complete waste of time

#639 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Get enough names that you trust (from ask distributors "hey, how many of these are real") and it will happen.[quoted image]

So you are saying that JJP announced they are forming a list of interested in buyers in order to set up another run of POTC? You are saying that is indeed a fact? Also, what's up with posting a screenshot of my collection? I already said I own POTC and I want them to make more. You are getting really creepy Whysnow.

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

So you are saying that JJP announced they are forming a list of interested in buyers in order to set up another run of POTC? You are saying that is indeed a fact? Also, what's up with posting a screenshot of my collection? I already said I own POTC and I want them to make more. You are getting really creepy Whysnow.

He has no clue nor do the distributors....we will all find out when they start taking deposits on new games....for all we know its data JJP wants to give to the investors to try and get them to pony up the cash in an attempt to build more games....

#641 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Assembling a list of potential buyers is a waste of time....conversation probably goes like this:
Distributor "would u be interested in a new POTC LE if they remade the game"
Potential buyer "sure I'm interested, when are they building it and whats the price"..."
Distributor "Ahhh not sure, but I assume its the same"
Potential buyer "well let me know when u know"
Complete waste of time

Well here's how my conversation went. No lies, exactly how it went down

Me- I'd like to get on a list to buy pirates at the original price if more are made
Dist- great. I'm putting a list together and sending it to JJP this week. Thanks for your business
Me- thanks!

Also, for all we know gnr is waiting on approvals and those people are furloughed. This could be a way for them to make money and troubleshoot their line

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Me- I'd like to get on a list to buy pirates at the original price if more are made
Dist- great. I'm putting a list together and sending it to JJP this week. Thanks for your business
Me- thanks!
Also, for all we know gnr is waiting on approvals and those people are furloughed. This could be a way for them to make money and troubleshoot their line

pretty much identical on my end.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:Do you know the BOM of POTC? Do you know how much they will make? Pretty sure you dont and JJP does. If it makes financial sense, why wouldnt they rerun. The demand is there.

Pretty sure we can all agree potc bom is the highest among all jjp games. There’s not enough money in potc to make financial sense for small runs. Do the math, even with rough estimates. They are better off moving to new games where bom is lower and they can sell more units. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe this will be remade. Investors run the show now, they want to make money. Producing potc in small runs doesn’t do it.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Have to agree. It’s a simple petition of sorts. If people would like to see it done just let your distributors know. A wish list of 500 or so would certainly get their attention.

Not sure about that. They need to be producing titles with lower bom and higher unit volume. It’s not enough to make $4-5k on 500 units when they could devote resources to make $5k on 1500+ units on a new title. I also doubt there is demand for 500 units at $10-12k.

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Me- thanks!

no doubt....what if they ask for 50% down non refundable? what if they raise the price to $12.5 ? Until people know the terms and whether or not its reality its a waste of time. I know u guys all want this game at $9.5, but if JJP was smart there is little chance that will happen.....they have very few parts in stock so they would have to order all new so why not order different powder coating, make a few weeks to the play field art, order a special $5 plaque, and call in limited and raise the price to whatever they want....their costs are still the same, but the margins are far greater....

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

no doubt....what if they ask for 50% down non refundable? what if they raise the price to $12.5 ? Until people know the terms and whether or not its reality its a waste of time. I know u guys all want this game at $9.5, but if JJP was smart there is little chance that will happen.....they have very few parts in stock so they would have to order all new so why not order different powder coating, make a few weeks to the play field art, order a special $5 plaque, and call in limited and raise the price to whatever they want....their costs are still the same, but the margins are far greater....

Why are people telegraphing to manufactures to raise their prices? That is not good for anyone in the long run (not even JJP) as in the end there is very limited demand for $12,000 dollar games. The quickest way for a game to flop (see WOZ YBR edition) is to Jack the price. I think JJP could sell some POTC at $12k but not many, but at $9500 they could sell enough to make the game worth running again.

#646 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I would happily give a deposit if they wanted one and the details were shared with me. JJP isn't a company that's going to take your money and run and I think at $8500 for the standard, that's to much game to pass up.

Anyway, this has been fun but I'm going to wait for further information. This is clearly an inflammatory topic once people stand to lose money possibly pending jjps decision

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

zaphX is right and they won't make more POTC until the day JJP announces "we're building more units based on demand by x/y/z date, contact your distributor to get on the list and place deposit". And if we're dreaming, the new units should feature some compelling improvements (trunk mod, new cabinet art, etc.) in a Black Pearl edition.

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Why are people telegraphing to manufactures to raise their prices? That is not good for anyone in the long run (not even JJP) as in the end there is very limited demand for $12,000 dollar games. The quickest way for a game to flop (see WOZ YBR edition) is to Jack the price up on it. I think JJP could sell some POTC at $12k but not many, but at $9500 they could sell enough to make the game worth running again.

YBR is dumb because the color is obnoxious and they took out the monkey.... well, and the price.

If a distributor would take deposits for pirates, I'd put down 1000 right now.

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

zaphX is right and they won't make more POTC until the day JJP announces "we're building more units based on demand by x/y/z date, contact your distributor to get on the list and place deposit". And if we're dreaming, the new units should feature some compelling improvements (trunk mod, new cabinet art, etc.) in a Black Pearl edition.

Honestly I think it's show me the money at this point or why even try. Pay in full or darn close, deposit. Petitions burn, and honestly I don't think this happens anyways why go back to a place that wasn't good. They hated building this game in the factory. And now they need to invest in all the parts again based on a petition? No way.

#650 3 years ago

People need to just click on the collections of those defenders that "the game will never get made", "it will be 12.5 k if it does", etc...

It is laughably predictable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/13?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.