9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 28.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Well if they do make more I hope they use balsa wood for the playfield - so it will be more robust than current ones.

Then a pinball designer/celebrity will come out and say “ Pins have actually always been made with a type of balsa wood”

#452 4 years ago

Crikey, I seem to have missed that. I wonder if he's got an insulin pump. Diabetics in particular have had a horrible last 2 years in between prices for insulin skyrocketing (for no reason other than greed, I might add) and overall insurance and Medicare coverage plummeting. We could all do better with exercise and diet, but that is just BS.

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crikey, I seem to have missed that. I wonder if he's got an insulin pump. Diabetics in particular have had a horrible last 2 years in between prices for insulin skyrocketing (for no reason other than greed, I might add) and overall insurance and Medicare coverage plummeting. We could all do better with exercise and diet, but that is just BS.

It's easy to miss threads on pinside if you check the topics you've posted to mostly and only check the general list every so often. Happens to me all the time.

It would be cool if robin would program the topic list to have an "you might like" section at the top with three or four threads that pinsiders with similar thread posting habits to you have also posted in (like an old-school Netflix or TiVo suggestions, etc). Each time you went to the topic list it could refresh the suggestion threads.

1 month later
#454 4 years ago

Here's what I think (and hope. JJP learned from the difficulties they had producing the first 600-700 POTC pinballs and will come with a better build "black pearl" (limited) edition. Price will probably go up (a bit), but if this new run will work flawlessly out of the box it will sell. I have no doubt that the demand is there, I would certainly buy one (if the biggest quality problems are solved).

#455 4 years ago

I sure hope so.
Great pin.
The more copies, the bigger chance to have a well functioning spare-part aftermarket.

#456 4 years ago

Now that the hype has died down, as much as I wanted a potc, I think I would only buy one from a new run if they were able to figure out the concentric spinning map disks and put them back into the game. That's what really impressed me when I first saw the game. I'm sure it's a great game without them but after seeing that feature revealed I just don't think I want one without that.

But if they do get it in the game then sign me up.

#457 4 years ago

Really? I didn't see what the big hubub was about three spinning discs. I think adding that back would add nothing to the game, imo.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Really? I didn't see what the big hubub was about three spinning discs. I think adding that back would add nothing to the game, imo.

It wouldnt. Even the prototype - which looked cool - would have been impossible to read during gameplay, and it didn’t really spin the ball much (any?) differently than the single larger disc.

Putting the map disc on the LCD screen was one case in which this was the right call. It’s always a bummer when a mech gets “virtualized” but in this case the game is better for it.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It wouldnt. Even the prototype - which looked cool - would have been impossible to read during gameplay, and it didn’t really spin the ball much (any?) differently than the single larger disc.
Putting the map disc on the LCD screen was one case in which this was the right call. It’s always a bummer when a mech gets “virtualized” but in this case the game is better for it.

Agree 100%.

Forgive my naïveté if this approach was used in a past pinball machine, but what I love is the reversing of directions and speed changes on the disc. The disc is perfect the way it was done in the final version.

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I played a prototype with the 3 disks and the mech didn't seem to work correctly, the text on the disks were hard to read, it was extremely loud, and they moved the ball around less then a single disk.

The single disk on the other hand moves the ball more, is quieter, and the map awards being represented by full HD detailed animations are not only readable but look amazing.

With that being said I still think Pirates is done for good.

#461 4 years ago

I would like to see this game keep being made. Because later down the road if anything breaks I would like to find the parts. My CE is never going to leave here.

3 months later
#462 4 years ago

A lot coming up for sale recently. People cashing in on the popularity or is JJ putting it back on the line?

#463 4 years ago

I'm hoping for it to be back on the line. I'd go for a new one, now that the clearcoat issues seem to be resolved, but I wouldn't want to gamble on an overpriced used one.

#464 4 years ago

They aren’t putting it back on line, enough with this false narrative. People are just cashing in and I’m tempted myself, there is stupid money being paid for these.

People keep saying now that the clear cost issue is resolved...how is this a fact?

None of the POTC folks have received their new free PF and the couple that bought one for $550 prior to the offer haven’t installed them yet.

I’m still seeing issues with Wonka so how are 100% sure the issue is fixed, please enlighten me on this.

Edit...I’m all for them making more but in my opinion they need to get over the hump of two new production games per year before they even think about doing this. Maybe they finally are able to cross this threshold this year.

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They aren’t putting it back on line, enough with this false narrative. People are just cashing in and I’m tempted myself, there is stupid money being paid for these.
People keep saying now that the clear cost issue is resolved...how is this a fact?
None of the POTC folks have received their new free PF and the couple that bought one for $550 prior to the offer haven’t installed them yet.
I’m still seeing issues with Wonka so how are 100% sure the issue is fixed, please enlighten me on this.

Is the replacement a populated pf?

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is the replacement a populated pf?

No and as far as I know from email from Jack, nobody got one from the new corrected POTC batch yet.

#467 4 years ago

Clearcoat comment comes from the more recent builds of Wonka. Owners reporting build dates of October and later having no pooling or chipping issues. That's just what I've read. I also hope that since they are going through the process of having new POTC playfields printed, that this means they will run more eventually. It's a hope, not a rumor.

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Edit...I’m all for them making more but in my opinion they need to get over the hump of two new production games per year before they even think about doing this. Maybe they finally are able to cross this threshold this year.

The Wonkas your seeing with problems could be the first run product

#470 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The Wonkas your seeing with problems could be the first run product

Are those customers getting replacement PF’s quickly since it’s currently in production and allegedly corrected?

1 month later
#471 4 years ago

Looks like Johnny Depp may be back for his Jack Sparrow role. Cross another excuse off the list for why they won't remake it. I was thinking they would announce another run soon, but with the factory move who knows what's going on now

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/02/rumors-johnny-depp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ro1/

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Looks like Johnny Depp may be back for his Jack Sparrow role. Cross another excuse off the list for why they won't remake it. I was thinking they would announce another run soon, but with the factory move who knows what's going on now
https://insidethemagic.net/2020/02/rumors-johnny-depp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ro1/

If Disney green lights this then a POTC revisit by JJP improves.

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

not sure why this significantly helps the case? Think about tron - last I checked no actor was in hot water yet that game continues to not be vaulted. There is only one reason. Disney. They are a pain in the ass. And that game is simple to make too. Another reason IJ will be very tough to redo.

No one knows for sure but there are a lot of boxes to be checked off on this one!

#474 4 years ago

I’m surprised this is still a topic?

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

not sure why this significantly helps the case? Think about tron - last I checked no actor was in hot water yet that game continues to not be vaulted. There is only one reason. Disney. They are a pain in the ass. And that game is simple to make too. Another reason IJ will be very tough to redo.
No one knows for sure but there are a lot of boxes to be checked off on this one!

I believe the reason for speculation is because Currently (for a limited time) JJP still Has the license for POTC. Not so sure thats the case for Stern on Tron.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If you've been following this thread, almost every post saying why they won't make more said Johnny Depp and Disney had a falling out. I'm pointing out they may have made up. Also, Disney has no reason to renew the Tron license other than money, at least with pirates they could spin it as promoting the franchise that has a new movie coming soon.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

If you've been following this thread, almost every post saying why they won't make more said Johnny Depp and Disney had a falling out. I'm pointing out they may have made up. Also, Disney has no reason to renew the Tron license other than money, at least with pirates they could spin it as promoting the franchise that has a new movie coming soon.

Super doubtful if you look at the timeline. Disney has no movie in production yet - no script, etc. It could be 5 more years. JJP has the license for what ... 2 more weeks? They’d be throwing a Hail Mary in the middle of planning and executing the big move to Chicago, plus game 5. Why take the risk on a low-margin game? I guess I’m just saying I wouldn’t do it

Disclaimer: this is NO WAY implies that I wouldn’t REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate a code update!!!

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I’m surprised this is still a topic?

Its two topics.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Super doubtful if you look at the timeline. Disney has no movie in production yet - no script, etc. It could be 5 more years. JJP has the license for what ... 2 more weeks? They’d be throwing a Hail Mary in the middle of planning and executing the big move to Chicago, plus game 5. Why take the risk on a low-margin game? I guess I’m just saying I wouldn’t do it
Disclaimer: this is NO WAY implies that I wouldn’t REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate a code update!!!

All the licensing contracts I've seen have had an extension option. Pay a guarantee before it ends and you can extend the time period by x. Wouldn't doubt that option exists for jjPotC's contract, too.

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All the licensing contracts I've seen have had an extension option. Pay a guarantee before it ends and you can extend the time period by x. Wouldn't doubt that option exists for jjPotC's contract, too.

And quite possibly so, if JJP is all snuggly with Disney IF they have a future/current contract for Toy Story.

1 month later
#481 3 years ago

Here is another reason for JJP to finish the run of POTC LE..

FA92C665-426F-499A-9F5C-FC31260B5959 (resized).jpegFA92C665-426F-499A-9F5C-FC31260B5959 (resized).jpeg
#482 3 years ago

Amazing game which anybody who loves pinball, would like to see beeing made in thousands.
It will help pinball grow and also secure spareparts down the road.

#483 3 years ago

Will see what happens due to the current situation. Either Pirates never gets remade as its simply too expensive to make or JJP see's it as an opportunity to recoup money / sales lost during the epidemic.

#484 3 years ago

Now that they have some time, I think they should re-engineer the opening-closing chest and the triple spinning disk. Then, when everything returns to normal, release a version of the game with these features at a premium price.
Of course, the opening-closing chest and triple spinning disk need to be backwards compatible and available for sale separately.
Whether or not this is possible or viable as a business strategy, however, is another matter.

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Now that they have some time, I think they should re-engineer the opening-closing chest and the triple spinning disk. Then, when everything returns to normal, release a version of the game with these features at a premium price.
Of course, the opening-closing chest and triple spinning disk need to be backwards compatible and available for sale separately.
Whether or not this is possible or viable as a business strategy, however, is another matter.

Chest using the servo I can see them doing. Triple disc? Nope. People that played both said it really didn't do much to the ball and the single disc is actually better.

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Triple disc? Nope. People that played both said it really didn't do much to the ball and the single disc is actually better.

It was supposed to do more than that of course. The original idea was very cool.

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

People that played both said it really didn't do much to the ball and the single disc is actually better

I know people say that, but I remember seeing video, it moved the ball just fine. The interaction between the ball and the three discs was really cool when the discs were moving in different directions and the ball was moving slowly. The ball would fake one way and then the other. I'm sure with more time they could tweak the surface material to give it more action. Even if it moved the ball less than the single disc, it would still be really cool to have the inserts lining up physically and lighting up to select the map award, as well as being shown digitally on the screen. I think that would have been the best thing about the 3 discs, rather than the ball movement.

Look, it will probably never happen. I just remembered the area of the original discs were bigger, so it couldn't be backwards compatible. Just something to dream about while we are in lockdown. I think the original mech the JJP engineers came up with was awesome and deserves to be out in the world. From memory the problem with it was the longevity of the plastic cogs. If they could be make more durable, maybe machined metal, it would be really great.

Pirates 3 discs small.gifPirates 3 discs small.gif

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It was supposed to do more than that of course. The original idea was very cool.

The original idea is realized on screen in much more legible writing. Chest? JJP definitely needs to integrate that fix. Multi-wheel? I couldn't care less about fixing that. The existing wheel plus screen integration is great.

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow so many huge wishes. Sadly I don’t see any happening especially a backwards compatible triple disk. Would that kit come with an 8” hole saw? Lol.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow so many huge wishes. Sadly I don’t see any happening especially a backwards compatible triple disk. Would that kit come with an 8” hole saw? Lol.

What's the point of wishing if you are not going to wish big . Hmmm....hole saw could work.

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Chest using the servo I can see them doing. Triple disc? Nope. People that played both said it really didn't do much to the ball and the single disc is actually better.

Sorry I would have to disagree with that not only playing both versions but also Owning both. I get it, they Way over engineered a crazy new mech that blew the BOM out of the water and I do agree the direction change they were forced to make worked out great but it does Not compare to the engineers original disk design. That in my opinion was engineering genius! The ball went every direction including up and always unpredictable. Brilliantly. Still turned out to be an incredible game but to say that feature design was not superior would be off.

#492 3 years ago

Just happened upon this thread. About six months ago, a large distributor told me that POTC was pulled from the line due to a licensing issue. Further, that it was unlikely the issue would be resolved so there wouldn’t be any more games. I can’t state for a fact that this is true but the person who shared it is typically “in the know.” I’d love to own the game, but if the info is right, I can’t imagine JJP investing additional time in the code either.

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

a licensing issue

I heard the same thing: Johnny Depp? (whatever his name is).

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Just happened upon this thread. About six months ago, a large distributor told me that POTC was pulled from the line due to a licensing issue. Further, that it was unlikely the issue would be resolved so there wouldn’t be any more games. I can’t state for a fact that this is true but the person who shared it is typically “in the know.” I’d love to own the game, but if the info is right, I can’t imagine JJP investing additional time in the code either.

They are working on the code and several have done beta testing as such. JJP nor Keith have ever left a game to die (like Munsters...) no matter how many sold. Every title they have done has taken often Years for them to refine the code to perfection, I would expect no less from them on this amazing title.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

JJP will finish the code for Pirates, they always have completed the code for their games. Kaneda mentioned maybe 3 weeks back that a large update for Pirates is in the work with "more assets". He didn't understand why JJP was doing this, unless maybe more are planned to be made. More assets could simply mean assets with no actor audio and video similar to what is in the game today. Or and this is a big if, JJP renegotiated the license to get actor audio and video.

Rumors are that JJP is working on Toy Story for game #6, another Disney owned license. Who's to say during the license negotiations for Toy Story that JJP also renegotiated the license for Pirates at the same time. If they did that I think they could remarket the game and easily sell another 1,000+ games. Hell even if they didn't get more assets they could probably sell another few hundred games at least.

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

unless maybe more are planned to be made.

Bingo!

#497 3 years ago

I just listened to the Jersey Jack interview in the 4/7/20 episode of The Super Awesome Pinball show. While talking about the new factory in Chicago and running a second line Jack said "We will be able to have a second line build other games. There were some games we built in the past that people keep demanding in a good way that they are looking for and those are always possibilities to go back and build things like that like we did with Wizard of Oz and so the market is there for us". Now Jack didn't name titles to be built on the second line but that kinda sounds like Pirates as there's no other game in the JJP catalog that has pent up demand. Whether or not more are actually built due to potential licensing issues, build costs, etc is another story.

http://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-s01-e07

Jack was then directly asked about rerunning Pirates and Jack said "there's always hope, it's possible, we will see". Now that part didn't sound very sure that more Pirates will be made. The "hope" part makes me think there's some issue with building more Pirates.

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Rumors are that JJP is working on Toy Story for game #6,

Last years rumors were Toy Story for TPF - JJP showed YBRWOZ. Then rumors were Toy Story for MGC - JJP launched Willy Wonka.

Too many rumors. Too many surprises, too many twists and turns.

Nothing is official until JJP reveals it. Too many things can happen. Too many changes can happen.

More rumors have gone by the wayside than games that actually get made. By any manufacturer.

LTG : )

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just listened to the Jersey Jack interview in the 4/7/20 episode of The Super Awesome Pinball show. While talking about the new factory in Chicago and running a second line Jack said "We will be able to have a second line build other games. There were some games we built in the past that people keep demanding in a good way that they are looking for and those are always possibilities to go back and build things like that like we did with Wizard of Oz and so the market is there for us". Now Jack didn't name titles to be built on the second line but that kinda sounds like Pirates as there's no other game in the JJP catalog that has pent up demand. Whether or not more are actually built due to potential licensing issues, build costs, etc is another story.
http://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-s01-e07
Jack was then directly asked about rerunning Pirates and Jack said "there's always hope, it's possible, we will see". Now that part didn't sound very sure that more Pirates will be made. The "hope" part makes me think there's some issue with building more Pirates.

Jack is very good at never answering questions .... its always "u never know" "theres always hope" ....which is probably what we would all say when we have no idea if it will happen or not...I'm sure he would love to, but I highly doubt its in their short term plans....my guess if it does happen its a long ways off

#500 3 years ago

I would buy a remake of Pirates! I bought a new WOZ RR last year. Might buy one of the others if they remake them. I am in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
There are 1,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/10?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.