Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ motor (resized).jpg
krazy (resized).jpg
20180425_162519 (resized).jpg
20180425_162513 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, so this regarding the Time Zone game I've been working on, specifically the flasher motor unit that controls the tunnel lights, scoring etc. Mechanically, and electrically everything seemed okay, except that it doesn't always stop on contacts, like it's not braking.
After looking at it for the gazillienth time, I realized that the coil plate used to stop the cam has worn clean through.(see pics)
So my question is this: I figure the only way to fix this is to use JB Weld to fill the worn/knocked out metal. Do any of you think this will work, and if so which one?
Original cold weld steel reinforced , or
Kwik weld quick setting steel reinforced?

20180425_162513 (resized).jpg20180425_162513 (resized).jpg

20180425_162519 (resized).jpg20180425_162519 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Do not think the epoxy will work for any appreciable time. I would find someone who could TIG or MIG weld it.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

I would find someone who could TIG or MIG weld it.

+1

Then grind and file it back to shape.

#4 6 years ago

$15 TIG and grind.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

$15 TIG and grind.

Sure sure we know all aboot your Wednesday night plans but what aboot the welding on this part?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure sure we know all aboot your Wednesday night plans but what aboot the welding on this part?

Tug and Grind?

#7 6 years ago

Try the JB, how can it hurt? I've seen it used in a lot of places you would never think it would last.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Try the JB, how can it hurt?

It will probably fall out and jam up some other mech or relay.

Always better to make the proper repair and know it will last forever, rather than always waiting for the crap repair to fail.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You just made my night.

Quoted from vid1900:

Tug and Grind?

This one was great too!

#10 6 years ago

Now that I think about it, it would have to withstand the force of stopping the cam at least a couple dozen times every game play. I mean, how strong is this stuff?

#11 6 years ago

Vid is always right. It's good to know about the TIG and grind method if I ever need to use it.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from phergott:

how strong is this stuff?

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

krazy (resized).jpgkrazy (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It will probably fall out and jam up some other mech or relay.
Always better to make the proper repair and know it will last forever, rather than always waiting for the crap repair to fail.

The correct repair would be to replace the part.

With all the jury rigged fixes documented here, a little JB is pretty elegant in comparison. It is remarkably durable nd now was curious how long it would last.

You can also see in the pic there is nothing under the assembly but cabinet.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from phergott:

Now that I think about it, it would have to withstand the force of stopping the cam at least a couple dozen times every game play. I mean, how strong is this stuff?

JB Weld is strong stuff. So is PC-7 and PC-11. They are great for bonding two pieces together. You can use PC-11 to repair under water leaks in horse tanks.

But they are plastic and are not very impact resistant with action such as the constant hammering they would get from that cam clicking on it all the time.

Go find your self a welder.

#15 6 years ago

If it is not possible to replace the part why not try a spacer behind the coil (lugs end) equal to the gap you are trying to bridge. I cannot decipher from the pic but providing the stepper cog slips between the opening that should work.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

The correct repair would be to replace the part.

If it was 1975, I'd just ring up my local Bally distributor and have the part waiting in will-call with the rest of my weekly order.

But in 2018, if PBR does not have it, then a TIG repair might have to do.

And, of course, the TIG repair area could well be harder than the original soft steel. I've welded Italian pop bumper brackets back together that will never break again, ever, lol.

#17 6 years ago

I live close in Snohomish PM me and I can mig it for you.

Chris

#18 6 years ago

Or pack out the bracket holding the coils assembly by a few mm so that the teeth are now missing the slot and landing on metal.

#19 6 years ago

The lazy man in me would just shim the bracket holding the coil. It would move the plate closer to the gear and be a good temp fix til a replacement could be found.

#20 6 years ago

You need armature latch P-7207-4. Flippers.com in Canada has it for a fair price.
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/armature-latch-p-4166

The one in my Bow and Arrow has the identical slot worn in like yours. I was anxious to replace it but after going through the game I'm not sure it adds much function. My flash motor works when game is running and stops when it isn't. As mentioned it's designed to brake the flash motor on game stop but power gets cut to it anyway and it stops.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from phergott:

Hey guys, so this regarding the Time Zone game I've been working on, specifically the flasher motor unit that controls the tunnel lights, scoring etc. Mechanically, and electrically everything seemed okay, except that it doesn't always stop on contacts, like it's not braking.
After looking at it for the gazillienth time, I realized that the coil plate used to stop the cam has worn clean through.(see pics)
So my question is this: I figure the only way to fix this is to use JB Weld to fill the worn/knocked out metal. Do any of you think this will work, and if so which one?
Original cold weld steel reinforced , or
Kwik weld quick setting steel reinforced?

The quick and easy way to fix this issue is to add a couple of washers to shim the assembly over just a bit so the teeth are catching the plate at a different point. I had the same issue with mine and that's exactly what I did. Removing it, welding it up and grinding it smooth also works fine.

Steve Young does not have the part, and the shim fix is exactly what he told me to do. He's obviously familiar with this problem with Space Time/Time Zone. He said you'll never play it enough to wear it out like that again. TZ motor (resized).jpgTZ motor (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You need armature latch P-7207-4. Flippers.com in Canada has it for a fair price.
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/armature-latch-p-4166
The one in my Bow and Arrow has the identical slot worn in like yours. I was anxious to replace it but after going through the game I'm not sure it adds much function. My flash motor works when game is running and stops when it isn't. As mentioned it's designed to brake the flash motor on game stop but power gets cut to it anyway and it stops.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, this flash motor runs over a bit.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

The quick and easy way to fix this issue is to add a couple of washers to shim the assembly over just a bit so the teeth are catching the plate at a different point. I had the same issue with mine and that's exactly what I did. Removing it, welding it up and grinding it smooth also works fine.
Steve Young does not have the part, and the shim fix is exactly what he told me to do. He's obviously familiar with this problem with Space Time/Time Zone. He said you'll never play it enough to wear it out like that again.

Excellent idea. Thank you!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Steve Young does not have the part, and the shim fix is exactly what he told me to do. He's obviously familiar with this problem with Space Time/Time Zone. He said you'll never play it enough to wear it out like that again.

Adding washers is what I did to Bally's Sky Rocket. Fixed the problem.

#24 6 years ago

+1 on the shim washers.

#25 5 years ago

Shimmed it up last night. Works great! Now it scores properly.
Thanks guys.

#26 5 years ago

Sell it to the person on Portland Craigslist that has been looking for one for over a year.

portland.craigslist.org link

#27 5 years ago

It's not my game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

1,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasanton, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jb-weld-work-for-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.