(Topic ID: 313164)

Will it sell??? Licensed vs. non licensed (Stern).

By Quicksilver1

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 227 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MtnFrost
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE14400D-DBD2-4598-AF9C-4A79CF09594C (resized).jpeg
    0EE0391D-1B61-4799-96A2-28B6DA24CD1F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from joefox22:

Dialed in is your best recent example
    Arguably one of Lawlors best shooting games, not over complicated rule set. Yet because of a lack of a license or even a real theme. It wasn’t really a hit. My opinion of all the JJP games that’s the one I enjoy the most

It's hard to say, but that one may have been marketed incorrectly. If it was marketed as a 3rd Lawlor Disaster Game (Earth Shaker, Whirlwind, Quantum City (instead of Dialed In)), it may have made a difference. The pin "seems" like a game about a cell phone. The fact that all the folks behind Dialed In had to say time and again that it's NOT a game about a cell phone in the game play/release videos did not help the cause. The Emoji thing was also super lame. Doesn't really appeal to pinheads, I don't think-- kind of felt "kiddy". Great shooting game, has some awesome elements, but fell down in some areas. I don't think that being an unlicensed theme was the worst thing that it had going for it. It's just that the unlicensed theme itself turned out to be a loser in the way it was presented.

Edit: To be fair though, it is ranked #28 on the Pinside top 100 with quite a lot of people weighing in (654), so it does get more love than most people, self-included, think.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Non license is too risky with fickle pinballers. Especially while there are still lots of great licensed themes out there. Still I miss the days of the knock offs, like Hollywood heat, No good gophers and Space Invaders.

When the cost of your base game has gone from $4000 to $6800 in the last 10 years (I'll always remember my quote for 4K even for AC/DC in 2012), and your LE price has doubled in the same amount of time, you don't have to resort to those cheap tactics. That's not to say that Stern wouldn't try to do it if they could get away with it.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm not so sure, clearly dinosaur rock themes sell and a significant number of pinsiders love them.
    Beatles, Led Zep, Aerosmith, ACDC, Rush, etc.

You mean 40-50 year old music that is so great that it's stood the test of time over decades only to dominate streaming services now? "Dinosaur rock" suggests extinction. It's far from that and people still want it because nothing has come out that is better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-it-sell-licensed-vs-non-licensed-stern?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.