(Topic ID: 313164)

Will it sell??? Licensed vs. non licensed (Stern).

By Quicksilver1

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 227 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MtnFrost
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE14400D-DBD2-4598-AF9C-4A79CF09594C (resized).jpeg
    0EE0391D-1B61-4799-96A2-28B6DA24CD1F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 2 years ago

This is not a super complicated discussion.

If unlicensed themes did better than licenced themes, manufacturers would make more unlicensed games.

If you want to pre sell out a game get a license.

If you want to bleed money on most releases go unlicensed.

This has been discussed so often there should be an emoji for it.

I am surprised Crazy Levi does not have a bunch of copy and paste prior threads to nip this in the bud.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Theme is my #1 priority/attraction when it comes to pins (however, a theme I like with bad game play/rule set/etc. is a deal killer).

Of course there are always exceptions where there are historical loyal followers (e.g. BKSOR, CGC pins, etc.), which remove any inherent demand risk that comes with a completely original non-licensed theme.

For the umpteenth time this thread alone BKSoR sold like poop by all accounts. If it sold better than JP and Godzilla, more "unlicenced" games would be flowing from Stern. Fortunately for us, they like to stay in business... so they make what actually sells. Imagine that.

And like many other people, theme seems to be king for you. You said it at the top.

Even great pinball podcasters like SDTM are theme theme theme.... then everything else seems a distant second.

I am in the "seasoned pinhead" camp in that if I really want say the Goonies, I can watch it on my TV. If a Goonies game comes out that is all round great, and challenging, and something I would want in my home for years... then that is also cool. But I am not going to buy a pin with a janky or "too easy" layout, annoying sounds, unfun rules "because of the theme".

I have a pretty simple rule for my collection - "if it is not getting played, it is out". Who gives a crap about theme if you are not playing the game because you are done with it, or you just want something new? Oh yeah, the person you are hoping to sell your game to... Licensed themes are king when a manufacturer is revealing a game, and when you go to sell it. What can you do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-it-sell-licensed-vs-non-licensed-stern?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.