Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by WackyBrakke
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    79E7D494-9642-4363-87C2-E58E81B38B8E (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

With auto manufacturers committing to increased electric cars, does this present an opportunity for more location pinball at charging stations?

Since electric cars typically take 20 to 60 minutes to charge, I could see a market for charging stations with amusement activities for people to pass the time while their car charges. Pinball would fit the bill nicely.

I envision a typical convenience store with an arcade surrounded by EV chargers.

Anyone else see this as something that might be in the future?

#2 6 months ago
    Quoted from sliprose:

Nope

#3 6 months ago

I like that idea, and would love to see it happen!

#4 6 months ago

One can dream right

#5 6 months ago

Having fun. Think this is enough power to get a Tesla about 21 miles down the road.

79E7D494-9642-4363-87C2-E58E81B38B8E (resized).jpeg
    #6 6 months ago

No shot.

#7 6 months ago
    Quoted from sliprose:

With auto manufacturers committing to increased electric cars, does this present an opportunity for more location pinball at charging stations?
    Since electric cars typically take 20 to 60 minutes to charge, I could see a market for charging stations with amusement activities for people to pass the time while their car charges. Pinball would fit the bill nicely.
    I envision a typical convenience store with an arcade surrounded by EV chargers.

No, I see a bunch of doofuses sitting in the car staring at their phone while the car charges...

#8 6 months ago

Electric cars are shit, we’ll eventually figure out that batteries are as bad for the environment as gasoline. We need fusion powered locomotion

#9 6 months ago

#10 6 months ago

Support for electric cars has certainly greatly improved with new chargers being installed in various locations, especially in the last few years. However, I don't see electric cars going mainstream unless the charging time is drastically reduced. I seldom see electric cars in my area at charging stations (maybe one every few days?), so I hardly think it would be worthwhile to specifically cater attractions to electric car drivers.

By the time the charging times are reduced and if they do start becoming mainstream, I think it would be a moot point since there would probably only be a limited span of time for when that sweet spot happens (where charging time goes down and ownership goes up) to make a business based on that limited opportunity where there are enough drivers waiting at a station for a significant amount of time.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #11 6 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Support for electric cars has certainly greatly improved with new chargers being installed in various locations, especially in the last few years. However, I don't see electric cars going mainstream unless the charging time is drastically reduced. I seldom see electric cars in my area at charging stations (maybe one every few days?), so I hardly think it would be worthwhile to specifically cater attractions to electric car drivers.
    By the time the charging times are reduced and if they do start becoming mainstream, I think it would be a moot point since there would probably only be a limited span of time for when that sweet spot happens (where charging time goes down and ownership goes up) to make a business based on that limited opportunity where there are enough drivers waiting at a station for a significant amount of time.[quoted image]

Not just the charging time. Finding somewhere to do it.

Just go look in any big city. Cars parked on the street. Apartment complexes with big parking lots. The infrastructure for this is simply not there and won't be there for many years to come. If ever.

That doesn't even take into consideration the battery disposal issues, and how to generate the electricity needed to charge up the alleged multitudes of these things.

Politicians don't care about that shit though. Just like this damned virus, it really doesn't matter if what they do actually works. It's all about the appearance of doing something. If it works they take credit. If it fails it's your fault.

#12 6 months ago

Here in northern virginia it seems like every other car is a tesla or some other electric vehicle. Most of the shopping centers have tesla charging stations now. Some of the fancier restaurants even have them and they are constantly in use. Tesla's are the Honda civic of the area now lol.

#13 6 months ago

How does a pinball machine fit in the back of a Tesla?

#14 6 months ago

People will end up comparing notes as to how many days of their life they wasted in traffic... and how many they wasted waiting for their stupid car to charge up.

#15 6 months ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Electric cars are shit, we’ll eventually figure out that batteries are as bad for the environment as gasoline.

Skip the battery and install hot rails in the roads.

#16 6 months ago
    Quoted from sliprose:

Honest answer? I don't think so. I would estimate 1-2% of the cars on my commute in Maryland are electric. I see charging stations, but other than at the mall and in the office parks I never see them being used. I believe that most people with electric cars now are better off, and generally charge their own cars at home. As the technology spreads I see heavy subsidies for apartments and commercial spaces to create charging stations.

The "charging station as a destination" would only be practical as a stop on long distance trips. Most people commutes and driving are not long haul drives beyond the range of an electric car. Even if pinball were placed at a "destination" charging station, it would make little sense from a business perspective to put in pinball. Customers will not be drinking alcohol, so it makes little sense to incentivize someone to stop and waste time on pinball when a wealthy captive audience could be shopping or buying overpriced coffee and food.

#17 6 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Honest answer? I don't think so. I would estimate 1-2% of the cars on my commute in Maryland are electric. I see charging stations, but other than at the mall and in the office parks I never see them being used. I believe that most people with electric cars now are better off, and generally charge their own cars at home. As the technology spreads I see heavy subsidies for apartments and commercial spaces to create charging stations.
    The "charging station as a destination" would only be practical as a stop on long distance trips. Most people commutes and driving are not long haul drives beyond the range of an electric car. Even if pinball were placed at a "destination" charging station, it would make little sense from a business perspective to put in pinball. Customers will not be drinking alcohol, so it makes little sense to incentivize someone to stop and waste time on pinball when a wealthy captive audience could be shopping or buying overpriced coffee and food.

I agree that most people will charge EVs almost exclusively at home. I think many if the current charger installation locations are a fools errand. Other than home, they're probably mostly practical at workplaces, hotels and such where people spend a lot of time, except for fast chargers off interstates out of necessity for trips longer than the car's range.

These off interstate chargers catering to long journeys are what I'm talking about. I could see interstate rest areas and off exits starting to have some kind of for pay amusement activities while people have 30-60 minutes to kill while their car charges to continue their journey. Competition at these charging stations will require them to differentiate from each other. I know if I was travelling to grandma's house in my EV and knew I had to stop for an hour charge halfway, I'd choose the charging stop with pinball over one without.

#18 6 months ago

EVs are a stopgap. Cheap nuclear energy vis-à-vis fusion energy will make hydrolysis of water cost effective at which point hydrogen will be fuel of choice. Much cleaner than lithium and 400x more energy density. A 10 lb tank of hydrogen will power a vehicle 800 miles.
    Tesla is a gimmick for rich kids. Instant acceleration is it’s appeal. Everything else about it is terribly impractical.

#19 6 months ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

EVs are a stopgap. Cheap nuclear energy vis-à-vis fusion energy will make hydrolysis of water cost effective at which point hydrogen will be fuel of choice. Much cleaner than lithium and 400x more energy density. A 10 lb tank of hydrogen will power a vehicle 800 miles.
    Tesla is a gimmick for rich kids. Instant acceleration is it’s appeal. Everything else about it is terribly impractical.

Curious what happens to a 10lb tank of hydrogen in an accident. And people love nuclear plants being built in their neighborhoods.

"Hydrogen possesses the NFPA 704's highest rating of 4 on the flammability scale because it is flammable when mixed even in small amounts with ordinary air; ignition can occur at a volumetric ratio of hydrogen to air as low as 4% due to the oxygen in the air."

#20 6 months ago

I think the electric cars are neat. I personally would not want to remember to charge, wait to charge, etc. I love the internal combustion engine too- the sound, the characteristics.. I have a turbo charged boxer engine, and a late 80's Ford 302, both manual transmissions. Both cars make me smile going down the road, just hearing that engine note. But I know some peeps love their Teslas, and that is great for them too!

My beef is- politics trying to force EVs, before there are cheap viable alternatives for everyone. When the politicians force no more gas powered cars by 2030 or whenever it is, the price of gas will skyrocket. Then, fleet vehicles, handyman vans, plumbers, etc. costs will soar as well. Not everyone can afford a Tesla/Prius. What about poor people who would otherwise own an older, inexpensive ICE car? What will they do- be forced to take the bus now? It takes fuel to generate electricity, so, just because I no longer see or smell gasoline, does not mean the environment is now cleaner. Plus, batteries are heavy, expensive, and loaded with poisonous elements too- it's not a solution to pollution!

Want cleaner air? Work to make the ICE evolution continue, and make it have even less emissions. It is foolish to think that just because a technology has been in place for 100+ years, we've exhausted it's evolution. We don't apply that same reasoning to medical science! Why throw away one well rolled out and available tech, for the promise of another? And, for people who want & can afford their electric only cars, rock on! They can buy that- if that is their CHOICE.

OP: Could electric vehicles cause a boom in pinball? Sure/maybe? I know there have been creative bundling of charging stations and Panera restaurants, and I'm sure others. Not sure if it will be easy to break into the already made "agreements" (perhaps analygous to the mafia-like pinball route wars of the 70's?) but, if there could be a clean place to chillax and play some pinball, sure why not?

#21 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Curious what happens to a 10lb tank of hydrogen in an accident.

4/19/21 A driverless Tesla crashed and BURNED FOR FOUR HOURS, police said, killing two passengers in Texas. Just before midnight Saturday, a Tesla drove swiftly around a curve, veered off the road, struck a tree and burst into flames in The Woodlands, Tex., a suburb north of Houston, police said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/19/tesla-texas-driverless-crash/

Moral of the story.. Tesla is only 'virtually' driverless, and you can't easily extinguish a lithium-ion or lithium-metal battery fire with water. (Houston fire dept. used 32,000 gallons of water and 4hrs to put the car out in this case)

#22 6 months ago

#23 6 months ago

Crazy misinformation around here. Its OK though, the Chinese and Europeans are leading the way on EVs so the US can stagnate and tell everyone else how it doesn't make sense.

Fun fact, the most successful recycling program on earth is north american lead acid battery recycling. Very nearly 100% of lead acid batteries are recycled. "The will is everything"

#24 6 months ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

4/19/21 A driverless Tesla crashed and BURNED FOR FOUR HOURS, police said, killing two passengers in Texas. Just before midnight Saturday, a Tesla drove swiftly around a curve, veered off the road, struck a tree and burst into flames in The Woodlands, Tex., a suburb north of Houston, police said.
    Moral of the story.. Tesla is only 'virtually' driverless, and you can't easily extinguish a lithium-ion or lithium-metal battery fire with water. (Houston fire dept. used 32,000 gallons of water and 4hrs to put the car out in this case)

The key is to perfect the dielectric batteries that will not burn when damaged.

I do have concerns about condo living and battery charging. Most condos do not have the power service capacity to add car chargers for every resident, so to add such infrastructure would be very expensive and likely require an additional service line to the building and more meters. It would not likely be financially practical unless it were subsidized.

#25 6 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The key is to perfect the dielectric batteries that will not burn when damaged.
    I do have concerns about condo living and battery charging. Most condos do not have the power service capacity to add car chargers for every resident, so to add such infrastructure would be very expensive and likely require an additional device to the building and more meters. It would not likely be financially practical unless it were subsidized.

What if the recharging stations ran on solar power...

or make the entire skin of the car out of solar material and trickle charge it all day, even while it's being used.

#26 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

What if the recharging stations ran on solar power...
    or make the entire skin of the car out of solar material and trickle charge it all day, even while it's being used.

It would be expensive initially to set up solar charging and then the question is whether it is enough power for the demand.

The condo I plan on living in eventually has about 130 units in a moderately sized lot. I am not sure it is big enough in area to get that much solar power. Plus the cars are in covered parking spots. Half have carports that could theoretically have solar panels on them but that would require stronger hurricane strength carports.

Regarding the car having a solar skin, how much would it cost for body work when there is an accident to the car? Also, car prices need to stay near the present average cost plus inflation.

#27 6 months ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

It seems some of the details of the story that were initially reported may be inaccurate.

The fire chief said the fire did not take hours to extinguish:

He also said no one from the township’s fire department called Tesla asking for help with the blaze, noting that he is not aware of the company having such a service.

“With respect to the fire fight, unfortunately, those rumors grew out way of control. It did not take us four hours to put out the blaze. Our guys got there and put down the fire within two to three minutes, enough to see the vehicle had occupants,” Buck said of inaccurate claims the vehicle burned for hours. “After that, it was simply cooling the car as the batteries continued to have a chain reaction due to damage.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/woodlands/article/Woodlands-fire-chief-says-Tesla-fire-example-of-16113029.php

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery-fire-fud-debunked-tx-fire-chief/

According to tesla, data logs seem to show auto pilot was not engaged.

However, the car-maker's chief executive, Elon Musk, tweeted: "Data logs recovered so far show Autopilot was not enabled... moreover, standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on, which this street did not have."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56799749

#28 6 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

How does a pinball machine fit in the back of a Tesla?

Cybertruck!

#29 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hypercoaster:

Crazy misinformation around here. Its OK though, the Chinese and Europeans are leading the way on EVs so the US can stagnate and tell everyone else how it doesn't make sense.
    Fun fact, the most successful recycling program on earth is north american lead acid battery recycling. Very nearly 100% of lead acid batteries are recycled. "The will is everything"

The Core charge is everything, $15 for a core yeah I’m bringing it back.

#30 6 months ago

I don't think this would be a viable business model, but that is just my opinion.
    With the limited range of most total electric cars that I am aware of, the person would most likely already be in the general area anyway.
    And if there are already pinball machines or some arcade in that area, that person would already be aware of where the best places to go are located, if they wanted to play pinball while the car was charging. They could just uber to those existing locations from the charging station, if they had that much interest. Plus, most of the places that I have seen with charging stations are generally unoccupied, from what I have seen anyway. It's not like there is a huge wave of electric cars coming from all directions to charging stations, waiting for their turn to get charged back up. Gas stations with a few cents of savings seem to have a lot more traffic and people waiting to get the pumps.

#31 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

The Core charge is everything, $15 for a core yeah I’m bringing it back.

Yup, replaced the battery in my Miata cause it croaked over the winter. $18 core. You betcha I took the time to drive the core back.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside