Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Well maybe I am dumb, but I know lots of stuff isn’t compatible with Gottlieb. I have a Teed Off from 93 with a dead dmd. I also have a working dmd from my Champion Pub from where I put in a color dmd. Conventional wisdom tells me any dmd will work like they do on other brands, but I remember reading somewhere that that isn’t the case with Gottliebs. Dear pinball gurus, set me straight? Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

It will work.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Yes. I took one out of a Medieval Madness because I wanted to play Big Hurt instead.

#4 4 years ago

Thank you

#5 4 years ago

In case another DMD will not work in the game, you could have a voltage problem coming from the DMD controller board.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Power_Issues

Make sure with Gottlieb games, any board, DMD, or ribbon cable that you unplug/plug in, always do it with power off.

#6 4 years ago

Any gas DMD like Cherry or Vishay brands will work. I also try a 5volts led DMD and it didn't works fine due to low voltage that did twinkle on dark orange...read that the new 12Volts led DMD works better but I don't try and choose to bought a new Original Cherry DMD.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Benhurr:

Any gas DMD like Cherry or Vishay brands will work. I also try a 5volts led DMD and it didn't works fine due to low voltage that did twinkle on dark orange...read that the new 12Volts led DMD works better but I don't try and choose to bought a new Original Cherry DMD.

You need to include a modification in order to use a low-voltage LED display in a game that uses a DMD.

#8 4 years ago

Probably but the fact is that nothing was mentioned for those kind of led DMD when I bought one...only plug it on 5 volts so I send it back to the seller. I think those one might probably work well on Stern pinballs.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Benhurr:

Probably but the fact is that nothing was mentioned for those kind of led DMD when I bought one...only plug it on 5 volts so I send it back to the seller. I think those one might probably work well on Stern pinballs.

Yes, they are mainly for Stern games.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Benhurr:

128x32 LED DMD displays did not exist back when the Gottlieb games came out, only the orange plasma DMD, which uses 3 high voltages (-112v, -100v, and 62v).

#11 4 years ago

That's why you save energize by using a Led DMD...I did energize power test when pinball was full of bulbs, Stargate pinball consume 300W to 350Watts max in use with bulbs and after change them by led on playfield and backglass it only consume 100W to 150Watts max...it save a lot of energize.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Benhurr:

That's why you save energize by using a Led DMD...I did energize power test when pinball was full of bulbs, Stargate pinball consume 300W to 350Watts max in use with bulbs and after change them by led on playfield and backglass it only consume 100W to 150Watts max...it save a lot of energize.

The point is that LED DMDs aren't natively compatible with older and/or non-stern games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-dmd-work-with-gottlieb?hl=aflacjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.