(Topic ID: 177168)

Will Dialed In! make pinball more popular?

By solarvalue

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by trunchbull
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

200_s (resized).png
Emoji Attack title screen (resized).png
Emoji Attack (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

Would only happen if the game gets enough public exposure. It's tough because operators would need to have it and place it in enough locations where enough non pinheads would play it (movie theaters, for example). The issue there is that operators would be more likely to put a movie themed pin (Hobbit, Star Wars) in a theater. The short answer would be "I hope so" but I think it's an uphill climb.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

It's probably too early to tell, but I do think Dialed In has the potential to get a younger crowd back into pinball. Couple that with the JJP redemption add-on and the selfies, drone, cellphone, emoji's and other things the game has that are wildly popular with school aged kids and even a fair amount of adults, I do think all in all it has the potential to open some doors with a newer crowd. We'll just have to see how many of these start ending up in homes and on location.
If it tops WOZ and Hobbit sales, then we're starting to get somewhere. If Lawlor being on it also helps drive sales, who knows what could happen. He's the one who designed Addams Family (20,270 produced), Twilight Zone (15,235), FunHouse (10,750) Whirlwind (7300) and Road Show (6259) so I'd say his track record is good and people's expectations are very high. I'd guess in todays market, 3000-5000 will sell, but if it breaks 5000 produced/sold, then that will seal the deal.

Hobbit isn't going to beat WOZ in sales so you're really just talking Dialed In vs WOZ and as much as I liked DI, and I do, and I'm getting one for myself, I would be very, very surprised if DI could outsell WOZ which, in case anyone doesn't know, is itself still being made today.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

The conversation should be "Will Dialed In! sink JJP?". I've never seen more disdain for a pin, even from non pinheads.

I can answer that one... No. And how many non pinheads are actively spending time discussing any new pin, let alone this one?

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I know many casual pinball players who have seen and hate the theme. There's a whole world outside of pinside, it's crazy.

A world outside of... c'mon you're talkin' crazy...

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Dialed In is like having George Lucas and Steven Spielberg work together and they make The Maze Runner. How this horrible theme and hideous pin got made is amazing to me. JJP makes amazing games. WOZ is my favorite pin and TH is the most beautiful pin I've ever seen but Dialed In holds no appeal to me. Twilight Zone is my second favorite pin and they waste Lawlor's talent on this? This is a fiasco of epic proportions to me. Dialed In will be a major hit to JJP. I hope they stay afloat and learn from their mistake so they can go on to make the best and most amazing pins in 20 years. I've heard the game play is great but I will never buy this pin. I don't even know why it makes me so angry but that cheesy dude in mom jeans ticks me off. Also, Aerosmith and cheesy Batman 66? Sorry Stern, better luck next time. The pinball resurgence was at hand but they messed that up. Next? Star Wars had better be amazing for me to buy a six grand Pro.

"They waste Lawlor's talent on this?" This game is Pat's original theme, Pat's concept, Pat's deal. Nobody dictated to him what he should make. You could make an argument like that if it were a license that we forced upon him (there are way too many examples to list, but World Poker Tour on Steve Ritchie, World Cup Soccer on John Popadiuk), but that argument fails here. JJP itself has several big licenses in the queue and Dialed In sales (it's early yet) are off to a decent start. WOZ is still in production albeit on a small secondary line and is still selling (really? Yes, really), Hobbit is finishing out its run, and JJP is doing fine. Keep in the back of your mind also what happened to another Pat Lawlor game called Family Guy. It was done over as Shrek and sold better in the home market (I'm not saying Shrek is a better game), so there are - hypothetically - things that could be done if Dialed In were to flop, which it doesn't look like it's going to do anyway.
Aerosmith to me is just the latest Stern band pin; some of them are good games and some have sold very well. I own a KISS, speaking anecdotally, but look at the following that Metallica and AC/DC have even here on Pinside. Operators will tell you that the way to get pins back into bars and restaurants is Rock themes so I guess that is Stern's thinking. Batman 66 I don't know, much of the pinball home market audience is guys that are old enough to remember the show and it has a cult following. Plus it's got Stern's new display and that will help it I think. I don't pretend to know everything despite what you may think; Star Wars will sell especially with the King designing it (but it would anyway).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-dialed-in-make-pinball-more-popular?tu=pinballomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.