(Topic ID: 177168)

Will Dialed In! make pinball more popular?

By solarvalue

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by trunchbull
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

200_s (resized).png
Emoji Attack title screen (resized).png
Emoji Attack (resized).png

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

As others have previously mentioned, the high price prevents many from ever seeing the game on location...Also many of us are dealing with unfavourable exchange rates which serve only to increase the already high price....

#52 3 years ago

I don't think it will.....like other said not enough out there on location..... Now if JJP do a toy story pin and places like dave and busters put them on the floor...Could make it a little more popular,

#53 3 years ago

The conversation should be "Will Dialed In! sink JJP?". I've never seen more disdain for a pin, even from non pinheads.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

The conversation should be "Will Dialed In! sink JJP?". I've never seen more disdain for a pin, even from non pinheads.

I can answer that one... No. And how many non pinheads are actively spending time discussing any new pin, let alone this one?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

I can answer that one... No. And how many non pinheads are actively spending time discussing any new pin, let alone this one?

I know many casual pinball players who have seen and hate the theme. There's a whole world outside of pinside, it's crazy.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I know many casual pinball players who have seen and hate the theme. There's a whole world outside of pinside, it's crazy.

A world outside of... c'mon you're talkin' crazy...

#57 3 years ago

Nope. Dialed In has no idea who it's audience is. Two expensive for operators but has a theme and features designed around being played on location not in someone's basement. Batman 66 on the other hand is a game that understands it's audience. It's squarely targeted at a demographic that can afford it and the game doesn't include a pile of features that would go unused in a home. The two games that are sneaking into non-pinball-centric location are AC/DC and Metallica. If Stern offers a Pro version of Aerosmith that has operator friendly pricing and maintainability, I could see that game entering the mix as well. It's games that can get into bars or restaurants that are going to increase awareness of pinball.

#58 3 years ago

Cell phones, selfies and emojis? Jesus. What's next? A sriracha dispenser?

I get the idea of wanting to appeal to youths, but this blatant pandering puts off almost everyone else and probably won't even achieve the desired effect.

It definitely put me off and I'm only 37.

#59 3 years ago

Probably not but I don't think it's going to hurt it. I'm much more likely to play a game that has emojis all over it than fake wrestling.

#60 3 years ago

Will DI make pinball more popular? Not in my house - the price and theme are keeping it away. Sorry but thats the fact Jack.

#61 3 years ago

Don't know if it will make pinball any more popular but I applaud them for thinking outside the super hero, rock band, tv/movie box and doing something original.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Don't know if it will make pinball any more popular but I applaud them for thinking outside the super hero, rock band, tv/movie box and doing something original.

Should have done a Make Pinball Great Again game featuring a old blond comb-over guy. Certainly would have got publicity.

#63 3 years ago

If they just got off of the cell phone being the main toy and theme this game would have a lot more customers.i like the shots and layout and im sure the code will be killer.

Maybe with different backglass/artwork/title it would be more accepted. I like the objectives so far. It seems like you are a hero saving the city. If only you were a cool hero and not one with an i phone...

#64 3 years ago

(Sorry double post)
I suck at computers lol

#66 3 years ago

NorCalRealtor hit the nail right on the head regarding Dialed In! Summarizes my feelings exactly. It's the "blatant pandering" that turns me off (emojis, phone flipper control etc). Reminds me of the feeling I got from watching the end of the stern book kickstarter video (shoulders shuddering while I type this).

#67 3 years ago

If Dialed In is sitting next to a Harry Potter pinball machine then Dialed In will take the overflow from HP waiting line....so indirectly its possible.

Harry Potter will be a great theme to bring in a younger and more diverse crowd....worldwide. My family is hooked on the wizardry, and they are slowly sucking me in too.... Help Mr. Wizard.....

#68 3 years ago

JJP seems to have made pinball more exciting and popular in some ways. It's possible Dialed In could appeal to a new crowd, in essence, growing the market and making it more popular. Dialed In is also responsible for the popularity and interest in this particular thread, and others, so there is that as well.

#69 3 years ago

Dialed In is like having George Lucas and Steven Spielberg work together and they make The Maze Runner. How this horrible theme and hideous pin got made is amazing to me. JJP makes amazing games. WOZ is my favorite pin and TH is the most beautiful pin I've ever seen but Dialed In holds no appeal to me. Twilight Zone is my second favorite pin and they waste Lawlor's talent on this? This is a fiasco of epic proportions to me. Dialed In will be a major hit to JJP. I hope they stay afloat and learn from their mistake so they can go on to make the best and most amazing pins in 20 years. I've heard the game play is great but I will never buy this pin. I don't even know why it makes me so angry but that cheesy dude in mom jeans ticks me off. Also, Aerosmith and cheesy Batman 66? Sorry Stern, better luck next time. The pinball resurgence was at hand but they messed that up. Next? Star Wars had better be amazing for me to buy a six grand Pro.

#70 3 years ago

I sometimes wonder if I should pass an e-mail to Jack on my thoughts about bringing pinball to my generation. I've never thought too deeply about it but I could probably think of some things, I agree, nobody is really hitting the mark yet.

This is a huge debacle: Old men designing pinball machines to try to appeal to kids/teenagers, and a bunch of old men on Pinside saying why they're wrong.

#71 3 years ago

Will DI make pinball more popular? Not unless they manage to cram it into the back of an uber that only magically appears after last call. Selfies, drones and a hero that strangley resembles the "can you hear me now" guy, gimme a break. JJP is like an out of touch granddad that just bought a 17 year old teen a barbie doll for their bday. I have no doubt that the game will be fun but this theme missed its mark by about 5 years or more.

#72 3 years ago

One of my buds has 2 daughters, aged 10 & 13. They visit occasionally and always gravitate to the game room. They much prefer spending time on a ball bowler or video game than pinball. On there last visit, they didn't play one pinball.
Route pinball in the rural (but touristy) area I reside within is slowly moving towards extinction. The chances of a "Dialed In" being on route within 100 miles are somewhere between "Dream on" & nonexistent. If route pinball will survive, I see it happening pretty much in metro areas.

I don't see Dialed In moving the needle on pinball popularity in the least. Aerosmith Pro, at or around $5K, has a much better chance. Yes, its about the $$$

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

One of my buds has 2 daughters, aged 10 & 13. They visit occasionally and always gravitate to the game room. They much prefer spending time on a ball bowler or video game than pinball. On there last visit, they didn't play one pinball.
Route pinball in the rural (but touristy) area I reside within is slowly moving towards extinction. The chances of a "Dialed In" being on route within 100 miles are somewhere between "Dream on" & nonexistent. If route pinball will survive, I see it happening pretty much in metro areas.
I don't see Dialed In moving the needle on pinball popularity in the least. Aerosmith Pro, at or around $5K, has a much better chance. Yes, its about the $$$

I don't see the game pulling people in on route compared with WOZ or even Hobbit. There is no film or band licence. And will the casual player know or care about the phone features ? I would guess that a large percentage of operators buying the game are JJP "supporters " that are prepared to take a gamble at the large price out of loyalty. Will many others ? Unlikely imo. I can see it plays very well and hopefully this will save it regards home sales

#74 3 years ago

In the future we'll look back at Dialed In as millennial age embodiment, just as we do party zone and Dr Dude as totally 80s/90s.

I just wonder whether it's being embodied ironically or with genuine unaware pandering to the era.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Dialed In is like having George Lucas and Steven Spielberg work together and they make The Maze Runner. How this horrible theme and hideous pin got made is amazing to me. JJP makes amazing games. WOZ is my favorite pin and TH is the most beautiful pin I've ever seen but Dialed In holds no appeal to me. Twilight Zone is my second favorite pin and they waste Lawlor's talent on this? This is a fiasco of epic proportions to me. Dialed In will be a major hit to JJP. I hope they stay afloat and learn from their mistake so they can go on to make the best and most amazing pins in 20 years. I've heard the game play is great but I will never buy this pin. I don't even know why it makes me so angry but that cheesy dude in mom jeans ticks me off. Also, Aerosmith and cheesy Batman 66? Sorry Stern, better luck next time. The pinball resurgence was at hand but they messed that up. Next? Star Wars had better be amazing for me to buy a six grand Pro.

"They waste Lawlor's talent on this?" This game is Pat's original theme, Pat's concept, Pat's deal. Nobody dictated to him what he should make. You could make an argument like that if it were a license that we forced upon him (there are way too many examples to list, but World Poker Tour on Steve Ritchie, World Cup Soccer on John Popadiuk), but that argument fails here. JJP itself has several big licenses in the queue and Dialed In sales (it's early yet) are off to a decent start. WOZ is still in production albeit on a small secondary line and is still selling (really? Yes, really), Hobbit is finishing out its run, and JJP is doing fine. Keep in the back of your mind also what happened to another Pat Lawlor game called Family Guy. It was done over as Shrek and sold better in the home market (I'm not saying Shrek is a better game), so there are - hypothetically - things that could be done if Dialed In were to flop, which it doesn't look like it's going to do anyway.
Aerosmith to me is just the latest Stern band pin; some of them are good games and some have sold very well. I own a KISS, speaking anecdotally, but look at the following that Metallica and AC/DC have even here on Pinside. Operators will tell you that the way to get pins back into bars and restaurants is Rock themes so I guess that is Stern's thinking. Batman 66 I don't know, much of the pinball home market audience is guys that are old enough to remember the show and it has a cult following. Plus it's got Stern's new display and that will help it I think. I don't pretend to know everything despite what you may think; Star Wars will sell especially with the King designing it (but it would anyway).

#76 3 years ago

I am placing it next to The Hobbit on location right next to 14 other pins. If Dialed In earns well and doesn't require too much maintenance, then I am sure other operators will do the same. If it has legs it will earn enough to overcome the higher cost of investment. It really isn't any more complicated than that for me.

IMHO, people worry too much about the theme. Theme gets you that first quarter, how much fun the player has playing the game gets you all the rest.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Lol, NO because operators cannot afford them for location. Only pinheads are buying these at the insane inflation rate that Jack and stern seam to think is a good idea.

Can't upvote this enough.

#78 3 years ago

I plan on putting at least 2 out. I think the looks and phone integration will draw in new players. I'd bet on it.
Allen

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

"They waste Lawlor's talent on this?" This game is Pat's original theme, Pat's concept, Pat's deal. Nobody dictated to him what he should make. You could make an argument like that if it were a license that we forced upon him (there are way too many examples to list, but World Poker Tour on Steve Ritchie, World Cup Soccer on John Popadiuk), but that argument fails here. JJP itself has several big licenses in the queue and Dialed In sales (it's early yet) are off to a decent start. WOZ is still in production albeit on a small secondary line and is still selling (really? Yes, really), Hobbit is finishing out its run, and JJP is doing fine. Keep in the back of your mind also what happened to another Pat Lawlor game called Family Guy. It was done over as Shrek and sold better in the home market (I'm not saying Shrek is a better game), so there are - hypothetically - things that could be done if Dialed In were to flop, which it doesn't look like it's going to do anyway.
Aerosmith to me is just the latest Stern band pin; some of them are good games and some have sold very well. I own a KISS, speaking anecdotally, but look at the following that Metallica and AC/DC have even here on Pinside. Operators will tell you that the way to get pins back into bars and restaurants is Rock themes so I guess that is Stern's thinking. Batman 66 I don't know, much of the pinball home market audience is guys that are old enough to remember the show and it has a cult following. Plus it's got Stern's new display and that will help it I think. I don't pretend to know everything despite what you may think; Star Wars will sell especially with the King designing it (but it would anyway).

Touche. Then perhaps they messed up in giving him too much creative freedom. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I consider JJP the Bugatti of pinball machines and I want them to be making pins for a long time.

Do you know which licenses JJP has in queue?

I wish the best for Stern too. I am a big supporter of theirs and feel like they have kept pinball alive for many years and have made some great games over the past 10 years. But I do not like Aerosmith as a band. I am a theme whore and a big comic nerd and the old Batman show is cute but doesn't appeal to me as a theme. If someone made a modern Superman themed pin, I'd buy two of the top version. If it was based on the George Reeves show or the comics from the 50's and 60's...nope.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Do you know which licenses JJP has in queue?

I bet he does.

LTG : )

#81 3 years ago

Simpler games would draw non-pinheads, most people I know find anything more complex than Funhouse to be overwhelming. I'm sure lots of people will have fun with the handful of Dialed In!s that wander onto location, but idk if it'll strike a strong enough spark for them to seek out more. I do know reaction to the theme itself has been kind of mixed to negative among the non-pinheads I know - millennials are very, very good at knowing when they're being pandered to.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Simpler games would draw non-pinheads, most people I know find anything more complex than Funhouse to be overwhelming. I'm sure lots of people will have fun with the handful of Dialed In!s that wander onto location, but idk if it'll strike a strong enough spark for them to seek out more. I do know reaction to the theme itself has been kind of mixed to negative among the non-pinheads I know - millennials are very, very good at knowing when they're being pandered to.

Agreed. e.g. NASCAR is a simple game enjoyed by those looking for a simple glimpse of fun. Lawler rules in his twilight career! Regardless of theme, the game will be fun as any other.

#83 3 years ago

Would love to hear how it earns when it does go out on location.

I think that it's not the theme that will necessarily draw new players but the fact that the game just looks fun. Once you see the bright color scheme and light show in person you'll know what I mean, Dialed In just kind of sparkles in the same way that Fun House did.

#84 3 years ago

Yes the attract mode will be very important on this game.

#85 3 years ago

No way too expensive jack needs to make a better entry model for example
Dialed in standard 8k
Aerosmith 5200k
It's not even close I'd be buying Aerosmith for public to see

#86 3 years ago

Cant wait to get mine... di offers so much more than any other pin out there especially a stern.It reminds me of the b/w pins but with much deeper code ,nice technology and lots of bling. Of course it won't be priced the same as Aerosmith pro or premium ...have u seen what all it offers compared to those lol?. Yes the theme is not your typical band/movie but that's what i love ...tired of licensed shit and all my favorite pins are original themes. Game plays fantastic and thats what i care about...

#87 3 years ago

No
You want to make a game that appeals to younger players then get younger designers
People who are designing games now are close to retirement age, they're best work was done 30 years ago. Get some younger people to pick themes and design features

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Get some younger people to pick themes and design features

Actually, JJP is already doing that. They have a younger designer on board now named Eric Meunier and I'm pretty certain he worked with Pat to do the engineering on Dialed In. A quick search shows him being credited on that game.

As of May 2016 his LinkedIn page now has been updated to him being listed as a designer at JJP, where previously he was listed as an electrical engineer with JJP. Eric has a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering and a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericmmeunier

#89 3 years ago

Short answer Yes.

Long answer, I think Dialed In does have the potential to help pinball's popularity but the price will keep a lot of Ops out of the game and this will cause the virility of Dialed In to be less then it's potential.

It is a great location pin and does have the ability to pull in new players in a different demographic. I do think it will help popularity of pinball wherever it is operated. Just a shame that at the price point that it will alienate some Ops that operate in more rural areas then metro areas.

I believe this game is and will be a success for JJP though. If offered at a lower price point I believe they would sale more units to more operators and help the pinball to go more viral amongst players in turn drawing in more people to the world of pinball. It would definitely have had a bigger effect on the pinball public seeing this pin at more locations then it will at the current price point.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Actually, JJP is already doing that. They have a younger designer on board now named Eric Meunier and I'm pretty certain he worked with Pat to do the engineering on Dialed In. A quick search shows him being credited on that game.
As of May 2016 his LinkedIn page now has been updated to him being listed as a designer at JJP, where previously he was listed as an electrical engineer with JJP. Eric has a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering and a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericmmeunier

Eric is a great guy, and ( for me) instrumental in getting WOZ where it is ( reliability wise). WOZ will continue to be JJP's flagship, and I don't see any of his titles ever outselling it. A classic.

In regards to the Op's question: Nope, and not even close. Even Xbox, PS4, etc. are having a hard time keeping the kids interest, pitted against the very thing Dialed In is themed around...a mobile device. Kids today don't talk on phones, they text and tweet, download and play free apps, etc. The biggest draw is the entire horsepower can be thrown in a purse or a pocket, and interacted basically for FREE, ANYWHERE.

Even us old guys can barely afford these pins anymore for home use...Ops don't stand a chance at ROI. Kids require instant, mobile, cheap, cutting edge technology. Is what it is, and it's only getting worse.

Sadly ( and I do mean sadly,was hoping I'd get another PL pin), this game personifies everything I DON'T want to think about with my free time.

Cocooning is becoming more and more prevalent ( as predicted), so well engineered, aesthetically appealing machines will survive ( possibly thrive) in the HOME market for several more decades, if the price/ value can be kept in check. Beyond that...properly maintained, themed pinhavens will only draw....us..

#91 3 years ago

I think it's great Eric is doing a pin as he's now the youngest designer in the industry by a country mile!

#92 3 years ago

No.

Toy Story - will get more families into pinball.

Now, maybe if they did GTA as a game it might get some teenagers at least interested.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Eric is a great guy, and ( for me) instrumental in getting WOZ where it is ( reliability wise). WOZ will continue to be JJP's flagship, and I don't see any of his titles ever outselling it. A classic.
In regards to the Op's question: Nope, and not even close. Even Xbox, PS4, etc. are having a hard time keeping the kids interest, pitted against the very thing Dialed In is themed around...a mobile device. Kids today don't talk on phones, they text and tweet, download and play free apps, etc. The biggest draw is the entire horsepower can be thrown in a purse or a pocket, and interacted basically for FREE, ANYWHERE.
Even us old guys can barely afford these pins anymore for home use...Ops don't stand a chance at ROI. Kids require instant, mobile, cheap, cutting edge technology. Is what it is, and it's only getting worse.
Sadly ( and I do mean sadly,was hoping I'd get another PL pin), this game personifies everything I DON'T want to think about with my free time.
Cocooning is becoming more and more prevalent ( as predicted), so well engineered, aesthetically appealing machines will survive ( possibly thrive) in the HOME market for several more decades, if the price/ value can be kept in check. Beyond that...properly maintained, themed pinhavens will only draw....us..

Great post. And one that Jack should read and think about. JJP may be correct if they think pinball ( and pindemption ) can work in certain venues. But at the current cost of the games 8k I can't see this market as the no.1 priority. Dialed In as a theme is almost certainly what many people don't want to think about. But in introducing new tech to the game they are on the right lines for the HOME market where they need to sell to people that want one or two games and are not collectors as such.

1 week later
#94 3 years ago

I think they should put Dialed In at every Jenny Craig location for before and after selfies. I know I'm not playing the game again until I lose 20 lbs.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I think they should put Dialed In at every Jenny Craig location for before and after selfies. I know I'm not playing the game again until I lose 20 lbs.

lol I'll just put in a wide-angle camera!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 9,000.00
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside