• Latest reply 5 years ago by trunchbull
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F1E9274A-858A-4A19-8815-402241D9A9A0 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I have been really enjoying playing a Dialed In machine near my work. I would be interested in owning one for myself but am not in a huge hurry (the game is tons of fun but, as others have mentioned, the theme is a bit meh).
Do you think this machine will gain in value or drop after production stops?

#2 5 years ago

Doesn’t matter you should
Buy it because it is one of the best games of the modern day not for investment. I will say it is excellent in my opinion it will be highly sought after once it is OOP.

#3 5 years ago

I should have also mentioned that I would have to likely sell my TZ to afford the Dialed In.

#4 5 years ago

Drop just like every 9k pin.. plus if there is demand they will b made forever since there is no license. Buy a huo one and u sldnt have to worry about losing much if anything. Its a great pin that has become pretty popular so it sld hold pretty steady around 8k imo

#5 5 years ago

Disclaimer, I own a dialed in. Hopefully sanity in pricing in general returns and the game like others actual fall in value as they should. In the long term the best games, and only the best games, will retain a high percentage of their value. Only the best of the best would appreciate, and that shouldn't happen until years later when the numbers have dwindled.

#6 5 years ago

I would expect depreciation. Not many games seem to appreciate of the newer titles.

#7 5 years ago

There’s almost no economic reason it would appreciate - no rarity, no hyper-demand for it, no special circumstances making it more desirable than your average game - except - it is a kickass game, and IMO better than Twilight Zone IF you are not into the TZ theme all that much..

#8 5 years ago

It's an unlicensed theme which means JJP can make runs indefinitely as long as there is demand.

Expect DI and any modern day NIB game to depreciate. If by some miracle it doesn't, consider yourself lucky.

#9 5 years ago

It can only depreciate since it’s not limited. Which is good, about time used pins came down a bit

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

It can only depreciate since it’s not limited. Which is good, about time used pins came down a bit

LE is still limited to 2500 games, that's a lot of games but still limited.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Doesn’t matter

Let’s be honest here. The collector end of this hobby exists because most games generally hold their value. Of course, it’s not an investment, but if it wasn’t for resale, pinball collecting wouldn’t really be a thing.

Asking about value and resale is a fair question for buying a pin.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LE is still limited to 2500 games, that's a lot of games but still limited.

They will sell that...heck its only coming up on a year shipping and i believe they are over 1500 heading towards 2000. Im sure they will just release another le when they sell tho

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Let’s be honest here. The collector end of this hobby exists because most games generally hold their value. Of course, it’s not an investment, but if it wasn’t for resale, pinball collecting wouldn’t really be a thing.

This is true..if i wasnt able to get the majority of my purchase money back i cldnt afford this hobby.

#14 5 years ago

I bought my DILE used for around $8000 and sold it a few months later pretty easily for the same amount.

#15 5 years ago

You are all assuming JJP will still be around to make this game for many years.

#16 5 years ago

My appreciation for the game has increased the more I have been able to play it. . . but I imagine as time goes on and the luster wears off the value may drop some.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

It's a fair question but not one that anybody can answer. Nobody here has a crystal ball.

#18 5 years ago

Hang onto it for 30 years, it will be worth more than you paid for it, not accounting for inflation though.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I bought my DILE used for around $8000 and sold it a few months later pretty easily for the same amount.

May I ask for which reason?
Thanks

#20 5 years ago

I fully expect any new pin in the $8500-$10k range to drop $1k after a year or two and I'm perfectly cool with that. If it goes up great, if not no biggie.

"Losing" $1k, hell even a bit more, is nothing compared to the depreciation on brand new cars and boats. Not even close. I don't understand how some people get concerned about a new pin losing value but then don't mind a new vehicle dropping half in value after 5 years.

#21 5 years ago

I should have clarified. I know appreciation and depreciation are investment terms, so that could be confusing, but I wasn't concerned as much about losing or making money on the purchase. My main concern was, if I know I want a Dialed In at some point, it would suck if the costs kept going up after production and buying new was actually the cheapest time to buy. If that makes any sense.
Seems like a general consensus thinks it will stay close to the same or slightly less.

#22 5 years ago

If you are asking this question you shouldn't be buying expensive pinball machines. They are investments in fun times for you, your friends and family and not financial investments. Considering inflation and the fact that you could invest your money, you will not be getting rich off of having pinball machines sit in your basement. I think a safe bet is that DI will decrease a bit over time my guess would be you could sell for $1500 less in 2 years from now but that's just a guess. Play the heck out of it and enjoy life now! Or don't and invest in your future.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Drop just like every 9k pin...

I don't think the price has raised to 9 from 8k has it?

#24 5 years ago

Used LEs don't seem to lose much value right now, and that's with ongoing production and basically unlimited availability.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

You are all assuming JJP will still be around to make this game for many years.

It's a pretty good assumption. JJP makes great quality games and have phenomenal customer service when any issues arise. WOZ and DI are a couple of my favorite games. JJP has 4 games. 3 are rated in the top 50. DI- despite being a theme that a lot of people dislike is holding strong in the top 10. I'm pretty sure they're going to be around for a while.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

If you are asking this question you shouldn't be buying expensive pinball machines. They are investments in fun times for you, your friends and family and not financial investments.

I disagree to an extent. Yes- buying a NIB machine, you're probably not going to be able to sell it for what you bought it for. If you buy machines used and are able to find good deals, this hobby will support itself. If you don't already know how, learn to make repairs on your own machines. Just like a car, a pinball machine will break down & if you have to pay someone else to fix it, you're going to be losing money. Also, if you can make repairs, you can buy a machine that has problems from someone who can't fix it themselves and who doesn't want to pay to have it fixed and is willing to part with it for less than it's value. If I sold my entire collection today, I'd have more money than when I started and I got the investment in fun out of them as well. That's a win/win!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

They are investments in fun times for you, your friends and family and not financial investments.

Also, I'm not this savvy or as good at repairing machines, but I have a friend who started out 2 years ago buying a non-working EM for $100. He tinkered with it, got it working and sold it for $300. He did this over and over again, eventually working up to buying early SS and then more recent SS and now off of the initial $100 investment, he has a collection worth about $15,000. Of course my friend is not the norm but $15,000 in 2 years off a $100 investment is a pretty good return.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from brianj619:

$15,000 in 2 years off a $100 investment is a pretty good return.

Well, you're not calculating in labour. Or parts.

Bet the hourly wage is less than a part time job.

#29 5 years ago

Who the f**k cares, play it and have fun like me!

F1E9274A-858A-4A19-8815-402241D9A9A0 (resized).jpegF1E9274A-858A-4A19-8815-402241D9A9A0 (resized).jpeg

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Who the f**k cares, play it and have fun like me!

If that’s the face of you having fun, I’d hate to see your face when you’re pissed. Haha

#31 5 years ago

If you use it for what it's meant for, making money on location,

you can certainly depreciate it come tax time.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well, you're not calculating in labour. Or parts.
Bet the hourly wage is less than a part time job.

You're correct about the labor if you think of it as a job. My friends & I enjoy tinkering. We actually volunteer our time to fix machines that we don't even own. Fixing machines is half the hobby. Of course that's not for everyone. Some people just want to play. Cost of parts, mods, & LEDs are included in the $15k. My friend has a pin fund that he keeps track of all his costs separate from his other finances.

#33 5 years ago

Anything you buy can depreciate.

Your value is in your use of it.

LTG : )

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If that’s the face of you having fun, I’d hate to see your face when you’re pissed. Haha

Dialed In does a great job of highlighting my "resting bastard face".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-dialed-in-appreciate-or-depreciate-over-time?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.