(Topic ID: 100355)

Will CPR run Eight Ball Deluxe playfields?

By cdnpinballer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 201 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

005.jpg
004.jpg
002.jpg
001.jpg
003.jpg
011.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg
this-is-pinside.jpg
EBD_Overlay_5.jpg
EBD_Overlay_4.jpg
EBD_Overlay_3.jpg
EBD_Overlay_2.jpg
EBD_Overlay_1.jpg
14o22dw.jpg
256973-i.jpg

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

Cash always in hand for a new EBD playfield, I am in as well.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Getting back to this thread after a year......... I am STILL LOOKING for a new EBD Playfield!! EBD is the most special 80's game ever made.

Me too. Surly there's some less than $1000 out there.

#153 8 years ago

I would buy 2 playfields right now if CPR reran them!!!!!

EBD needs a rerun!!!!

#154 8 years ago

I have a question for the CPR boys or anyone else on here who might know.

Who's making the current crop of EBD plastics that are now for sale?

They don't include the nice topper like the CPR plastic sets had but they don't appear to be too bad from what I can see.

Are they CPR?

#155 8 years ago

I've never seen a set of EBD plastics that have a "topper".

#156 8 years ago

No, they were obtained in the Gene IPB Bankruptcy....

The custom Desktop Display I did.....
This is the CPR Set: http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=766

Quoted from indypinhead:

I've never seen a set of EBD plastics that have a "topper".

#157 8 years ago

That's the first time I've seen this...cool

#158 8 years ago

My new plastics must be the IPB version

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

but they don't appear to be too bad from what I can see.

Had to drill 3 holes and trim an edge on one of the slings but that may have only been the fubar game I have. They look great.

#160 8 years ago

Hello, I would like to buy 3 playfields. Please let me know when they are available.

#161 8 years ago

I'll take a pf and plastics set.

#162 8 years ago

Put me in for a PF and plastic set as well

Are we at 125 PF's yet Stu?........

#163 8 years ago

I'm still in for a new CPR. I believe I'm in the que for one of John Greatwich's EBDs. What a great old Bally.

#164 8 years ago

LOL, not even close my friend.....

Quoted from indypinhead:

Are we at 125 PF's yet Stu?

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

LOL, not even close my friend.....

The enthusiasm level seems to be pretty-high though. I doubt very many other titles have as many people clamoring for playfields like they are for EBD.

I think it's probably a pretty-good one to put in the cue. The plastics were the best I've ever had. I only have one CPR set left. Maybe make a couple revisions on the next run though and eliminate those weird unused clear pieces that even the NOS sets have and instead make more of the lower lane guide clear pieces instead. Would be any easy revision.

The playfields could use a couple tweaks too (and I'm not talking about colors). A minor tweak to the lamp holes and a few other very minor revisions would make them even better.

Once again Stu don't get PO'd or defensive. This is meant to be constructive from someone who plans to buy some from the next batch you make even if they are exactly like the last ones (which were real nice).

#166 8 years ago

I might be biased on the subject and please only take this as a friendly suggestion. I mean no disrespect.

Why not do a pre-order where you state that this will only happen if you get at least 100 orders?

If there is only, say 80 orders, no re-run, or maybe you could give those interested parties a choice to buy it at a higher price depending on how many sign up, so that you do not loose any money.

Or if not a pre-order, then just call it a questionnaire to check how popular a re-run would be. There is a good chance that there are many others who does not read pinside

I realize that you probably get requests like this for many other playfields and that you choose to do new stuff for a reason, but ebd is still a popular title so it might be worth a shot for this one?

Just a thought

#167 8 years ago

We are very aware of the few tweaks that need to be made. I know of 2 different holes that shouldn't be in the playfield at all, and when it gets to that point I'll make sure that they are removed from the CAD File, and I had already told Mike about the Lamp holes when I did "my own" pf swap years ago.....believe me, we "know" the issues.

As for the Plastics: About a month after we ran the plastics, when everybody pissed & moaned, I added to the artwork the 2nd size of Return Lane Clears AND the Correct Squiggly Clear in the 8-Ball Chamber. We just haven't re-run these since the addition of the additional new artwork. Chances are it will be a long time before we do a re-run of plastics for this title as there are a ton of them currently available right now ( IPB version ), and we will not be able to secure the licensing until those current sets are gone.

Quoted from Gatecrasher:

The playfields could use a couple tweaks too (and I'm not talking about colors). A minor tweak to the lamp holes and a few other very minor revisions would make them even better.

For us to include a title on the Pre-Order page, we first have to obtain the Licensing ( whether we make it or Not ). We will at some point do another run of these pf's, and I'm sure we will sell out of them when we do the run, However, there are many other factors here that I can not get into with the general public....So starting threads like this and posting "Please Run Theses" and "Her's Why" postings are useless and just gets the pinball community in an uproar that we can not control.

Quoted from karl:

Why not do a pre-order where you state that this will only happen if you get at least 100 orders?

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Chances are it will be a long time before we do a re-run of plastics for this title as there are a ton of them currently available right now ( IPB version ), and we will not be able to secure the licensing until those current sets are gone.

I just got a set of the IPB plastics and while they aren't bad, they aren't quite as nice as the CPR ones were.

You should welcome threads like this though Stu. If no one wanted any CPR playfields it would be a lot worse don't you think?

#169 8 years ago

Count me in too if the planets ever align...

1 week later
#170 8 years ago

I would be up for a playfield as well.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I just got a set of the IPB plastics and while they aren't bad, they aren't quite as nice as the CPR ones were.
You should welcome threads like this though Stu. If no one wanted any CPR playfields it would be a lot worse don't you think?

Stu would rather talk shit than sell products.

#172 8 years ago

Fuck Off Collin, nobody wants your bullshit here!

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Settle down, Beavis!

No one wants you PMing them half a dozen times to ask what they paid for a playfield and subsequently calling them a liar WHEN THEY TELL YOU THEY PAID LITERALLY THE EXACT PRICE THAT'S POSTED ON THE CPR WEBSITE.

^By the way, that happened to me a couple weeks ago.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Why do you say crap like that?

#175 8 years ago

How much would the playfields cost - I looked at the site and saw many for sale in the $600-700 range - is that right? I would be mighty tempted!

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Why do you say crap like that?

I addressed that in my previous post:

Stu would rather talk shit than sell products.

#177 8 years ago

I just wish that CPR could do a proper run of KISS playfields. They'd sell and if it ever happens, I want on the list. I don't see why licensing couldn't be worked out with Gene, as they'll license about anything, and a premium could be charged for a KISS pf that would offset the cost of licensing. I bought the plastics and bg that IPB did, but 'never got around to' buying the pf.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I just wish that CPR could do a proper run of KISS playfields. They'd sell and if it ever happens, I want on the list. I don't see why licensing couldn't be worked out with Gene, as they'll license about anything, and a premium could be charged for a KISS pf that would offset the cost of licensing. I bought the plastics and bg that IPB did, but 'never got around to' buying the pf.

Kiss is not the easiest license to acquire ...

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Well, I understand that is the case for pinball stuff, however they've licensed it for some ridiculous stuff at Spencers in the past. I would think, that in Gene and Paul's eyes, something to do with the Bally pinball machine would hold more weight than some of the newer junk with the brand on it. That makes me think that it couldn't be a license that can't be acquired, just may be more of a PITA due to the bureaucracy associated with it.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

But obviously it can be done, because Gene at IPB pumped out KISS playfields and backglasses for many years.

#181 8 years ago

Gene never had a License.....and Licensing was never really an issue in the "repro pinball parts" industry until Wayne & Gene started tattling on each other, now days licensing is everything and prevents a lot of stuff from ever getting made.....

Quoted from vid1900:

because Gene at IPB pumped out KISS playfields and backglasses for many years.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Gene never had a License.....and Licensing was never really an issue in the "repro pinball parts" industry until Wayne & Gene started tattling on each other, now days licensing is everything and prevents a lot of stuff from ever getting made.....

IPB Gene used to constantly tell me a story where he would imitate Gene Simmons "Just send me $5,000. I don't care if you are only running 200 playfields, send me $5,000", LOL.

#183 8 years ago

I have a CPR EBD playfield that I'd consider selling. PM me for details.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

KISS is a brand you don't skip the license on. I really think the official KISS license, even if just a necessity to make the product, would look attractive on the product as far as attracting buyers. Print an official KISS license mark under the apron area. You could sell these at a price that would more than compensate for the cost of licensing, as the market would support a higher price.

I knew that the IPB stuff wasn't licensed, but it wasnt my place to point it out. I remember when the pfs first went on sale for 450 or 500 and the bg 400 or something.

#185 8 years ago

Plus, Gene S. Thinks in numbers like 10,000 or 100,000, not 100-200 pieces.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I knew that the IPB stuff wasn't licensed

How exactly do you conclude that IPB stuff wasn't licensed ... we have the original IPB license document with Kiss / Paul Stanley given we acquired IPB ... how is it that everyone is an expert here on things ... oy.

Rick

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

how is it that everyone is an expert here on things ... oy.

this-is-pinside.jpgthis-is-pinside.jpg

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

How exactly do you conclude that IPB stuff wasn't licensed ... we have the original IPB license document with Kiss / Paul Stanley given we acquired IPB ... how is it that everyone is an expert here on things ... oy.
Rick

I find it hard to believe that IPB could have sold the Kiss playfields for as long as they did without running into some type of legal trouble over them.

Perhaps Stu meant the Bally stuff wasn't licensed rather than the 3rd party copyrights?

#189 8 years ago

Rick thinks he owns the license to EVERYTHING and if he thinks there is even a remote shot of squeezing a few bucks from anyone without actually doing any work at all himself then you can expect to be harassed. He is the defacto licensing expert or at least in his head he thinks he is.

Sad part is that he sits on so many licenses he does actually hold rights to and constantly promises, "we are making x, y, and z" yet years have passed and they don't seem to actually make anything. I have come to the conclusion that if Rick actually holds a license for anything then he will say they are making it merely as an attempt to try and encourage someone to contact him, offer to pay his fees, and then do the actual reproduction work on their own.

I am still amazed at how few parts have come into production since he strong armed the IPB situation and left with his trailers in tow. I would say we are much worse off now than we were when Gene was around. Much of his quality may have been sub par, but atleast he made stuff.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Rick

Someone in the know told me and I wouldn't have mentioned it unless someone else in this thread confirmed it. If we're both wrong, I apologize.

Long-time KISS fan here.

I bought a KISS project 10 yrs ago that appears to have been in a fire, or near one, with everything having discoloration from smoke damage. Since I can't find another playfield, I plan to touch up the one I have, but the whites have yellowed, etc..it will never look amazing.

Realized last night, as I'm getting interested in finally tackling this, that not only is the lower cabinet in bad shape, but there's bad delamination to the side of the backbox, so I will be reproducing the cabinet, exact joinery and all.

If CPR or PPS can sell me a playfield someday, consider me signed up in a sense. I've bought 2 CPR playfields (as well as the Halifax Fathom) and numerous plastics sets, and hope to support repro efforts as I can. Thanks guys.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would say we are much worse off now than we were when Gene was around. Much of his quality may have been sub par, but atleast he made stuff.

If someone wants to sell me a 2nds or 3rds KISS pf, shoot me a PM.....

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

Someone in the know told me and I wouldn't have mentioned it unless someone else in this thread confirmed

Most people I've seen 'in the know' ... don't know.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Most people I've seen 'in the know' ... don't know.

stop looking in the mirror so much...

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

"we are making x, y, and z" yet years have passed and they don't seem to actually make anything.

I can relate - I've been waiting on white 1-1/2" Bally logo lane guides for 3-1/2 years & counting. Should have just bought red ones and set them in the window to fade out I guess.

#195 8 years ago

If PPS was so smart, they would know not to come on to a public forum

#196 8 years ago

I talked on the phone w/ Rick for over an hour about a week ago. After talking to him, I think it's a bit funny that most people have a negative opinion about him.

Being in manufacturing myself, I can relate, very well, on what he's going thru. Having to out-source EVERYTHING, he doesn't really have any control. He's at the mercy of his sub-contractors, who, I'm sure. doesn't rely on pinball part manufacturing as their main "bread and butter". I'm sure a lot of his work get's put on the "back-burner" because his fabricators have to focus on their "primary products". I'm sure pinball part manufacturing is a very niche market.

I've been in medical prototype fabrication for over 25 years. At times, I have to out-source some of my work, in order to meet deadlines. I hate out-sourcing, because I rely 100% on the quality of the work as well as meeting the promised delivery date. It seems, with a lot of manufacturers these days, everyone has an "I don't care" attitude.

I'm sure Rick is doing everything within his power to do the best job possible. But, sometimes, some things are beyond his control.

#197 8 years ago

Guys i'm doing restorations on a number of my own EBD blown out playfields. The first finish one had some serious registration issues, but looked nice compared to what I have here. I have 3 guys that have already pre-paid $500 US for one shipped to USA. Most are getting new inserts installed, except for the yellow arrows.

010.jpg010.jpg

009.jpg009.jpg

011.jpg011.jpg

003.jpg003.jpg

001.jpg001.jpg

002.jpg002.jpg

004.jpg004.jpg

005.jpg005.jpg

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would say we are much worse off now than we were when Gene was around. Much of his quality may have been sub par, but atleast he made stuff.

Did you ever buy any of his stuff? It doesn't sound like you did because everything I ever bought was good.

The IPB Eight Ball Deluxe playfields were excellent. I bought 8 of them and still have one left. To date the IPB playfields are the best reproduction EBD playfields that have ever been made. That is if you don't get a "second".

I have a Kiss too and it is excellent. Bought 5 of them when they were new. The Kiss plastics are good too.

The IPB Eight Ball Deluxe plastics aren't quite as nice as the CPR ones were but the IPB ones aren't bad. There were some really-crappy EBD plastics made over the years. I don't know where they all came from but the were garbage compared to the CPR and IPB.

IPB made some good stuff and if I could buy 10 more EBD & Kiss playfields I'd do so in a heartbeat.

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Did you ever buy any of his stuff? It doesn't sound like you did because everything I ever bought was good.

The cyclone pf swap i did sucked balls, CPR product.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

The IPB Eight Ball Deluxe playfields were excellent. I bought 8 of them and still have one left. To date the IPB playfields are the best reproduction EBD playfields that have ever been made. That is if you don't get a "second".
I have a Kiss too and it is excellent. Bought 5 of them when they were new. The Kiss plastics are good too.
The IPB Eight Ball Deluxe plastics aren't quite as nice as the CPR ones were but the IPB ones aren't bad. There were some really-crappy EBD plastics made over the years. I don't know where they all came from but the were garbage compared to the CPR and IPB.
IPB made some good stuff and if I could buy 10 more EBD & Kiss playfields I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Yeah I bought some IPB stuff. Some stuff was really good! Some had issues. The main point I was making was that with Gene we actually got stuff. With Rick it seems everyone gets a huge PITA, has to pay more money, prices have gone WAY up to cover his new licensing fees, and he hoards the shit worse than ever before.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-cpr-run-eight-ball-deluxe-playfields/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.