Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#118 4 years ago

Ok, I run MGC. One week later than Texas. I do t speak for them but...

First, calm down.

We have this stupid leadership vacuum on this issue. We knew it had the possibility to come over here. For whatever reason, we didn't decide to develop tests or whatever until just recently. This gives us terrible data to actually understand what is going on.

There was a great article on the mortality rate from Vox and how it will change. Here's a link to it

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/5/21165973/coronavirus-death-rate-explained

The problem is that our officials keep changing the story. I'm not trying to make a political statement on any way, but Trump handling it by dismissing it as a hoax, by telling people that people with the virus were probably still going to work, and contradicting people right after they share information.

What's frustrating is a lot of what he's saying isn't too far off base, but the way he's saying it allows fear, uncertainty and doubt because if one organization is saying the death rate is super high, and then he's saying it's not but your coworker probably has it and doesn't even know, now in people's heads they go my coworker probably has it and it kills a ton of people! Thus sowing further doubt.

This has left everyone with this weird leadership vacuum right now. The truth is, I don't know the best course of action to keep everyone in Milwaukee safe - nor should I. I organize a show. I rely on medical professionals to help guide things like this, but without their leadership right now, more and more people are asking me what should be done.

I hope, and I assume this is the same for any show, that in the future weeks as our shows approach we get more information from health officials who can tell us what is really going on with the situation. There is a lot of evidence that seems to point to it not being as bad as it is made out to be (see the Vox article above). On the flip side, it could be just beginning and could get significantly worse very quickly..

We should have professionals in the world that can better predict this than I, and I hope their voices are heard more. I do believe and have hope that next week we will start to see actual tests in the US, and that by the end of the week we'll have a lot more information on what is really going on. If so, a couple weeks with the best health care professionals from across the planet working together with decent data will, I believe, allow us to start to get a grip on this.

I would suggest at this point, no one changing their plans unless you feel you would be particularly at-risk
    In a week, let's check back in and see what more data there is.

Again, I'm totally not repressing TPF here, but if anyone has any questions for me I can answer as best as possible from the MGC planning side. I am going camping with my son this weekend so I'll only have access once in a while however.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

No, what's frustrating is he has no credibility anymore even if he might say something true.
    Contradicting health professionals at the onset of the outbreak was just another day.

Again, I am doing my best to keep politics out of the discussion here as those are the rules, *however* it is impossible to address this matter without noting the presidents role in it.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Wow. How about social media and mainstream media
    Totally disappointing Dan, you would be best to just shut down right now and blame it on something else

Your sarcasm is I think lost on some people.

The media is absolutely just as much to blame here. I've said recently that what sucks is we don't know how bad this is or will get, but if it isn't super terrible, then the reporting is very chicken little-ish in nature.

The problem is, when a terrible thing happens, we won't be prepared because people won't trust it if we act like this all the time.

Social media doesn't help, but it more parrots what leaders do. And yes, I lump the media with that.

But, ultimately, we need data, and we have only just started to address that for whatever reason.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Virus cases curves: orange: China. green: rest of world yellow: recovered patients. You can see that China’s curve is leveling off. Ask yourself why. And what does the rest of the world need to do that China did? Hint: containment.[quoted image]

China is a bad example because they haven't been overly clear about it. However, the data points to an understanding of it and treatment of it having as much of a positive effect on it as anything else.

Containment is imperfect. The cruise ship it was on contained it to a population that contained a higher percentage of at risk people.

Actual testing is the key.

Anyway, for the most part I'm going to drop back out here before Iceman calls on me to shut down the world more.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.