Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
    #201 4 years ago

Yes! My car broken down and all the mechanics are staying Home to self quarantine.

F8612348-DBE7-4FCB-880B-BF2CD720584C (resized).jpegF8612348-DBE7-4FCB-880B-BF2CD720584C (resized).jpeg
    #202 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I doubt the organizers will disclose who is dropping out because they still want everyone to come. Didn't you see Ed's email? The coronavirus is only a "perceived" threat. I'm sure it would be financially devastating for them if it had to be canceled.

Understood but as this isn’t the case of a movie theater with 5 viewers this would be a theater without a movie. There is no show with out the volunteer donation of games to make it a show.

#203 4 years ago

percieved is the wrong way to look at it. It is a 'potential' threat. The threat is real, just the actual outcome is unknown.

#204 4 years ago

So the article about the presumptive positive:

Dude traveled to Silicon Valley. Came back sick (duration home before containment unknown so far,)

He has 2 children so he exposed his wife and kids for who knows how long

His kids go to the local elementary school and potentially exposed who knows how many others. (Kids are often asymptomatic.)

Not looking good. Weird to hope that someone just got real bad influenza isnt it?

#205 4 years ago

Since I am in a risk age group I will not attend the TPF. With no vaccine available at all it is too big a risk. No treatment available, just monitor and treat complications.
    A lot of pinball people are in the risk age group too, but use your good judgement.

#206 4 years ago

I am bringing 2 games and still plan on going. If for some reason I choose not to go I would be out 1 paid pass and maybe 1 night of hotel at the Embassy since it was prepaid. Things could change but it’s currently a go.

#207 4 years ago

If you are over 60 or in poor health which describes half the Pinball demographic I’d avoid it.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

If you are over 60 or in poor health which describes half the Pinball demographic I’d avoid it.

#209 4 years ago

Pinball Machines come with a built in sneeze-guard. Should be fine

#210 4 years ago

I just went to TPF website, and skimmed down through the games list. Currently there are a bit over 300 pinball machines registered to be brought and set up. An awesome variety of fun games. Plus a bunch of arcade/video games are also on the list.
    The Sat morning swap meet could yield some nice finds this yr.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why do people keep saying this?

Because stupid is as stupid does.

#212 4 years ago

TPF (resized).pngTPF (resized).png

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Or a heavy smoker which would put anyone at a much more compromised state.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

Since I am in a risk age group I will not attend the TPF.

My plan is to do like P2K - Make a decision that makes sense for my situation when the deadline is closer. Probably 48 hours out is decision time for me and until that time hits I'm assuming that I'm going.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#215 4 years ago

By some twist of fate, I decided before all this started I was going to stay home from TPF and Pinburgh this year to save money. I sold a few pins too. If I had tickets to either event, I would probably cancel because my 76-year-old mother lives with us, and I’m 56 with asthma. That said, I’ve already booked my flight back to Philadelphia for work in April. I’ll hope for the best, plan for the worst, and I’ll try not to take unnecessary chances (my job is necessary to me).

If you’re young and healthy, don’t let this virus keep you from having fun. Play some of those awesome classic solid state pins for me, I’ll see ya’ll next year.

#216 4 years ago

Lol, another one to leave to the panic crowd. Buh bye

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I would probably cancel because my 76-year-old mother lives with us, and I’m 56 with asthma. That said, I’ve already booked my flight back to Philadelphia for work in April.

CDC reportedly wanted to warn older Americans not to fly period and got overruled...stay safe

#218 4 years ago

Nooooooo! Damn. Lost another great contributor.

#219 4 years ago

Just read that the St. Patty’s Day parade in South Boston and Newport, RI were just cancelled. Those are big events up here (and a great time as well). Sad to see them cancelled, but this seems to be the new norm. I agree with everything that iceman44 is saying. Seems as though everyone has a valid point to go or stay home. I don’t mind spending a little more time with my family vs. being out and about, but don’t plan to live in fear either. I left my office around 4:30 to pick my kids up from school - the sun was out, it was warm, my phone was turned off and all was well. We need more of that.

#221 4 years ago

Despite the "following CDC" rules bit posted by the Organizers of TPF. I am concerned.
    At the moment; I am still committed... but I know a friend of my backed out because he has underlying medical - so is at risk.

Austin - sadly - has already cancelled all "large events" until April. I suspect if things get worse; Frisco will too.

So, if community spread is a real problem by end of march in TX. I will also be staying home.
    If it becomes no worse than we currently see... then I'm still in.

As a free play exhibitor; I expect TPF to explain how or if they will be wiping down machines.
    I do not want my machines getting doused with hand sanitizer by attendees... nor do I want the TPF organizers taking it upon themselves to sanitize my machines. I don't know what the impact is of these chemicals to my machines... maybe nothing; but in 20 years; will the art be faded because of it.

Hopefully; TPF has the appropriate insurance to cover the cancellation of the show. I'd hate for this to be the end of TPF.

#222 4 years ago

Lots of big events getting cancelled. My wife is a physician and they're cancelling conferences left and right, sometimes only a day or two before the event. Seems wise as those draw large numbers of people from all over the world, and at least the airlines are offering waivers.

Traveling or attending events might not be worth the hassle at the moment. Because if you come back from a trip and get sick with ANYTHING - influenza, a cold, whatever - and you've got a fever...then what? The ramifications of missing work and maybe having to get tested and maybe having to get your family tested are huge. Odds of getting corona seem very low, but you know how it is when you travel - it's 50/50 on getting some sort of illness and you don't want to be that guy coughing at work these days.

#223 4 years ago

I remember when SARS, the bird flu, H1N1, and Ebola were going to end civilization as we know it yet here we are.

This whole whole corona deal is blown the hell out of proportion and will pass. Just more media scare tactics.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Despite the "following CDC" rules bit posted by the Organizers of TPF. I am concerned.
    At the moment; I am still committed... but I know a friend of my backed out because he has underlying medical - so is at risk.
    Austin - sadly - has already cancelled all "large events" until April. I suspect if things get worse; Frisco will too.
    So, if community spread is a real problem by end of march in TX. I will also be staying home.
    If it becomes no worse than we currently see... then I'm still in.

As a free play exhibitor; I expect TPF to explain how or if they will be wiping down machines.
    I do not want my machines getting doused with hand sanitizer by attendees... nor do I want the TPF organizers taking it upon themselves to sanitize my machines. I don't know what the impact is of these chemicals to my machines... maybe nothing; but in 20 years; will the art be faded because of it.
    Hopefully; TPF has the appropriate insurance to cover the cancellation of the show. I'd hate for this to be the end of TPF.

The concern is real. I've had 2 friend back out from attending this year so far.
    I still plan to attend, but, unfortunately, am unable to bring games this year as I have done in the past.
    If you are not in a vulnerable group and practice decent hygiene, you can minimize risks.
    Best of luck and health to all.

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I remember when SARS, the bird flu, H1N1, and Ebola were going to end civilization as we know it yet here we are.
    This whole whole corona deal is blown the hell out of proportion and will pass. Just more media scare tactics.

This is a lot like confusing weather and climate, it’s understandable.

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I bet people remembered when polio was just going to blow over too.

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I bet people remembered when polio was just going to blow over too.

They didn’t have mutual funds or ETFs when polio was a thing.

#228 4 years ago

Here is what I would say... playing pinball is played with your hands. They're saying this is mainly transferred from hand to mouth. That should be a concern and that is a legit concern.

I can honestly tell you I wanted to come to TPF (first one ever) to talk to vendors about buying mods. I also wanted to see any of the new games getting unveiled. Lastly, I wanted to see if I could buy any cool games that might be on my list.

So from that perspective I'm not worried one bit. However I can honestly say I won't be playing any pinball games there, not shaking hands with people, and that isn't being rude that is being smart.

I think everyone should come, and if you want to play the games then bring some wipes to clean off the machine, buttons, etc. I think that is just being smart.

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Yes

#230 4 years ago

Shut the show down already.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Shut the show down already.

yeah but RAZA!

#232 4 years ago

here in italy since yesterday, by decree of the prime minister, we are in a protected area, practically closed restaurants, nobody can move except in cases of necessity, we are in economic collapse

#233 4 years ago

Bookmark this page and wait folks... this is probably where we will see something first-

https://www.friscotexas.gov/1621/Coronavirus-Information

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from paolinux:

here in italy since yesterday, by decree of the prime minister, we are in a protected area, practically closed restaurants, nobody can move except in cases of necessity, we are in economic collapse

So, is it 'bad', or just precautionary? Do you feel they are over reacting?

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

So, is it 'bad', or just precautionary? Do you feel they are over reacting?

Italy has an older average age. I bet that played a part in the decision.

#236 4 years ago

I heard in Italy, the problem is it has a LOT of old people, it is one of the largest countries with a very large population of elderly citizens.

Scooped by Wickerman again, dang it...

#237 4 years ago

Let's not forget the difference with this current virus, it is not the flu.
    The flu has a vaccine and treatments at hospitals that are already well equipped to handle it.
    The Corona-virus does not have a vaccine, no treatment, and our medical system is not ready for it.

And as for Italy having a lot of old people...so does the pinball hobby.

Don't panic but do exercise good judgement as to risk vs. reward.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

Let's not forget the difference with this current virus, it is not the flu.
    The flu has a vaccine and treatments at hospitals that are already well equipped to handle it.
    The Corona-virus does not have a vaccine, no treatment, and our medical system is not ready for it.

There is no THE flu there are many different strains and not all have a vaccine.
    The treatment for Corona is the same as any flu/cold.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

The treatment for Corona is the same as any flu/cold.

Except when it goes in your lungs and you’re hospitalized. That part is a bummer. Permanent scarring of your lungs would be a bummer too. I would avoid getting it, that’s my advice. Percentage wise, you’re probably cool, but not an insignificant chance it could get ugly.

#240 4 years ago

Nah, let's just ignore it. What's another possible 100k+ deaths a year on top of the flu. Acceptable losses as long as the monkeys keep grinding.

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Nah, let's just ignore it. What's another possible 100k+ deaths a year on top of the flu. Acceptable losses as long as the monkeys keep grinding.

PROTECT THE STONKS

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I think everyone should come, and if you want to play the games then bring some wipes to clean off the machine, buttons, etc. I think that is just being smart.

I'm not going this year but this comment right here would 100% prevent me from bringing a game to the show and validates Zitt's primary concern. The pinball machines at these events are not your property so you should not be cleaning them off with anything unless approved by the owner. For example, most cleaners/sanitizers have alcohol in them. That can destroy invisiglass if the machine has it. It can also mess with paint and decals.

My advice. If anyone is concerned enough to the point you feel the need to clean a game before playing, don't go. The door handles, chairs, etc will be just as bad anyways. If you still want to go, wear gloves if you must and be sure to wash your hands before eating or touching your face.

#243 4 years ago

3 Family members in Frisco are now in voluntary isolation. I think that is the first confirmed coronovirus case in Frisco.
    They are all OK but do test positive.
    Hopefully that will be it.

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

3 Family members in Frisco are now in voluntary isolation. I think that is the first confirmed coronovirus case in Frisco.
    Hopefully that will be it.

I doubt that. It’s exploding. National Guard deployed in NY.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I doubt that. It’s exploding. National Guard deployed in NY.

Shit.

I was just about to go looting.

#246 4 years ago

I just bailed. United waived change fees and hotel easily nixed, so it’s only the TPF ticket price I’m out. It sucks, but not worth the risk of getting sick and/or bringing it back to my family and community. FYI, 3 now tested positive in Frisco. I hope they do the right thing and cancel it.

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

I just bailed. United waived change fees and hotel easily nixed, so it’s only the TPF ticket price I’m out. It sucks, but not worth the risk of getting sick and/or bringing it back to my family and community. FYI, 3 now tested positive in Frisco. I hope they do the right thing and cancel it.

Think of it this way. One Lawyer and family started the outbreak in NY and at his synagogue...Now tons of cases community spread.

#248 4 years ago

I think if I was bringing a machine or machines for free entry, they would be my beater project machines and I wouldn’t care about the sanitizer flood they will receive. Any operators bringing machines would probably not care either as their machines face the public daily. On the other hand, the owner of that HEP Krull would most likely not appreciate the anti-crud-douche from all the festival goers. This is a good question for the TPF organizers, and MGC @goatdan. I think a lot of people would question bringing their collectibles knowing the venue and event organizers are going to embrace the “nuke it from orbit” actions of attendees as they self sanitize every machine they play. And it’s one thing to gather in large groups where we are just close to each other, but another altogether where we are actively touching and retouching everything in the joint. The health people would probably shit bricks knowing not only are we gathering, but we are rubbing our hands all over everything too.

#249 4 years ago

Even if COVID-19 is unavoidable, delaying infections can flatten the peak number of illnesses to within hospital capacity and significantly reduce deaths.

flatten the curve.gifflatten the curve.gif

#250 4 years ago

I have a weekend tpf pass for 50 bucks if anyone would like it- save some cash and have some fun. Pm me

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/5?hl=thegunnett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.