Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah TPF is next to go. Panic, hysteria and follow the leader with all these conferences.
    I’ll be in Vegas the week before and had planned to go so just know this, I could be a carrier by then to the show

I’m in Vegas now and it is not busy.

#152 4 years ago

Virus cases curves: orange: China. green: rest of world yellow: recovered patients. You can see that China’s curve is leveling off. Ask yourself why. And what does the rest of the world need to do that China did? Hint: containment.

E206E5B5-CA70-4D1A-BE6F-303E370B7590 (resized).pngE206E5B5-CA70-4D1A-BE6F-303E370B7590 (resized).png
    #153 4 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

I’m in Vegas now and it is not busy.

I can't wait BigT!

Coming for March Madness and fantasy baseball drafts.

Are you saying less chance of getting the flu? Ok great.

Wait a minute, China is GREEN? But they have a billion people and i would have thought at least a hundred million would have died in the current crisis?

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Does anyone know where the Surgeon General is with all this going on? I recall Dr. C. Everett Coop always leading the charge on health issues back in the day

I posted a video in the main thread yesterday about his take, which is basically, it's blown out.

#155 4 years ago

Oh and regarding the docs advice? What’s her specialty? Infectious disease? Docs are canceling their conventions BTW and it’s not because they have to stay home and work. They don’t want to spread the illness to themselves, families and patients.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I can't wait BigT!
    Coming for March Madness and fantasy baseball drafts.
    Are you saying less chance of getting the flu? Ok great.
    Wait a minute, China is GREEN? But they have a billion people and i would have thought at least a hundred million would have died in the current crisis?

It feels a lot like a cruise ship, there are hand sanitizer stations everywhere. If yo walk past one without using it you will get the stink eye. I am having a cigar at the Fuente bar in cesars, normally it is packed. I am the only one in here.

ED29C351-6DC5-4A9D-8E36-1697508E9EEB (resized).jpegED29C351-6DC5-4A9D-8E36-1697508E9EEB (resized).jpeg
    #157 4 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

It feels a lot like a cruise ship, there are hand sanitizer stations everywhere. If yo walk past one without using it you will get the stink eye. I am having a cigar at the Fuente bar in cesars, normally it is packed. I am the only one in here.[quoted image]

Nice! I'll be in Caesar's the following week. Enjoy the peace!

I'm will probably think about stealing those hand sanitizer stations and sell them on Ebay for big bucks.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Virus cases curves: orange: China. green: rest of world yellow: recovered patients. You can see that China’s curve is leveling off. Ask yourself why. And what does the rest of the world need to do that China did? Hint: containment.[quoted image]

China is a bad example because they haven't been overly clear about it. However, the data points to an understanding of it and treatment of it having as much of a positive effect on it as anything else.

Containment is imperfect. The cruise ship it was on contained it to a population that contained a higher percentage of at risk people.

Actual testing is the key.

Anyway, for the most part I'm going to drop back out here before Iceman calls on me to shut down the world more.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Nice! I'll be in Caesar's the following week. Enjoy the peace!
    I'm will probably think about stealing those hand sanitizer stations and sell them on Ebay for big bucks.

Just stand in front of it and demand a dollar a pull...

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Uhh, it’s an authoritarian surveillance state? They force their “just rub dirt in it” dumbasses to stay home or else it’s off to the gulags. Of course they’ll contain it.

#161 4 years ago

Believe me ..... I seen a LOT of you guys and I would be much safer on an airplane or traveling abroad.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

China is a bad example because they haven't been overly clear about it. However, the data points to an understanding of it and treatment of it having as much of a positive effect on it as anything else.
    Containment is imperfect. The cruise ship it was on contained it to a population that contained a higher percentage of at risk people.
    Actual testing is the key.
    Anyway, for the most part I'm going to drop back out here before Iceman calls on me to shut down the world more.

Hey Dan, you are the leader that needs to make the call.

You know what the right answer is. But now it's on you.

I'll make it for you if you'd like.

#164 4 years ago

Allready caught the nasty cold going around at expo this year, im good!

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

use the sanitizer TPF is going to give out in the goodie bag.

Wow that's worth more than the price of the full weekend pass.

1583499712414 (resized).png1583499712414 (resized).png
    #166 4 years ago

If you want to be safe use this!!! Kills germs and takes off a layer of skin

4F910704-A73B-49BE-9931-7A5A00EACA1B (resized).jpeg4F910704-A73B-49BE-9931-7A5A00EACA1B (resized).jpeg
    #167 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Total ignorant behavior.

TheNoTrashCougar

Corona Virus + Rick and Morty + Total Nuclear Annihilation

This thread may have just given birth to Scott’s 3rd game

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

And on top of that, I saw in today's news that 18,000 people attended the AIPAC conference in Washington, DC March 1-3 and afterwards two people tested positive for Coronavirus. I guess that means thousands of people who attended that conference have an increased risk of contracting/spreading the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about more positive test results (tied to that conference) in the coming days.

Following up on this led me to the AIPAC web site. On their site I found a list of airline discount codes:

https://event.aipac.org/policyconference-faq

I tested the Southwest one for flights to Dallas on the days I'm traveling and, sure enough, it displays discounted fares. So, if you are making travel reservations for TPF, it may be worth a look!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#169 4 years ago

following...

#170 4 years ago

I might buy a table and sell little baggies of Purell like this guy.

FB_IMG_1583417539754 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1583417539754 (resized).jpg
    #172 4 years ago

Hey, let’s face it, we don’t like to think about it, but their is a certain “Je ne sais quoi” you get from some attendees that made you want to go take a bath. I’m not a Squeamish person, I learned to touch others peoples shit in the military, like they make sure you do, but there are a few people walking around where you have to ask, just what rare form of untreatable STD am I exposing myself to if I play the next game after them? I have seen people walk up and stand in line to play the latest FOMO offerings, just to watch NOBODY line up behind them to play after them. That’s when I jump in line behind them, because, well, maybe I’m going to get an incurable rash, but at least I get to flip the latest and greatest before it takes hold.

I’m bringing a black light flashlight and shining it on the machines as I play, just to stoke the fears of everyone else, and to make sure the lockbar doesn’t look like Jackson Pollock painting... but actually using it to look for hidden UV artwork that may be leveraged later for mods... I have seen stranger things before...

#173 4 years ago
    Screenshot_20200309-123911~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200309-123911~2 (resized).png
    #174 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I learned to touch others peoples shit in the military, like they make sure you do,

Wait what?

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Wait what?

Yes, take a toothbrush, now use it to scrub the inside of the toilet bowl, and get under the rim really good, shit sticks up in there all the time. Yes they made you clean up other people’s shit. All the time. Dig a latrine, fill in a latrine, clean the toilets, wash other people’s shit stained underwear, there were all kinds of opportunities to touch other people’s shit, and if you refused, you just got more shit to touch.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Yes, take a toothbrush, now use it to scrub the inside of the toilet bowl, and get under the rim really good, shit sticks up in there all the time. Yes they made you clean up other people’s shit. All the time. Dig a latrine, fill in a latrine, clean the toilets, wash other people’s shit stained underwear, there were all kinds of opportunities to touch other people’s shit, and if you refused, you just got more shit to touch.

They left that out of the recruiting commercials.

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

just what rare form of untreatable STD am I exposing myself to if I play the next game after them?

(Edited)

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Here’s an image for ya- Some greasy handed urchin is standing in his TPF hotel room, cargo shorts laying at his ankles as his fist does the hearky jerk, and he just grabs his shorts, zips it up and heads to the showroom floor... tell me again how much you want to touch the lockbar after this guy stepped up to it?

The penis is the cleanest part of the body, with the overall loswest bacterial count. The cornea of the eye is the next cleanest part.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

just what rare form of untreatable STD am I exposing myself to if I play the next game after them

(Edited)

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

The penis is the cleanest part of the body, with the overall loswest bacterial count. The cornea of the eye is the next cleanest part.

Tis true. We should wash our hands before we whip it out in front of the urinal.

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Hey, let’s face it, we don’t like to think about it, but their is a certain “Je ne sais quoi” you get from some attendees that made you want to go take a bath. I’m not a Squeamish person, I learned to touch others peoples shit in the military, like they make sure you do, but there are a few people walking around where you have to ask, just what rare form of untreatable STD am I exposing myself to if I play the next game after them? I have seen people walk up and stand in line to play the latest FOMO offerings, just to watch NOBODY line up behind them to play after them. That’s when I jump in line behind them, because, well, maybe I’m going to get an incurable rash, but at least I get to flip the latest and greatest before it takes hold.
    I’m bringing a black light flashlight and shining it on the machines as I play, just to stoke the fears of everyone else, and to make sure the lockbar doesn’t look like Jackson Pollock painting... but actually using it to look for hidden UV artwork that may be leveraged later for mods... I have seen stranger things before...

1. Coronavirus isn't a STI.
    2. You have absolutely no evidence, or even a single story, of someone getting a STI from playing a pinball machine at a convention/tournament.
    3. Stop giving morons fuel. There's already too many dipshits out there that are happily acting like all science is fake.
    4. Even if someone that HAD an STI, say...HSV2....(Which LET'S JUST BE HONEST HERE...is FAR FAR more people than you think), you're still not going to get it from playing pinball directly after them, unless it led to you doing other things with them as well.

#183 4 years ago

I'm in the camp of folks that'll go - providing they are healthy - and will bring along half a dozen pairs of those nitrile gloves they sell at home Depot, which we use to pick up the dog's crap every Saturday, to wear while playing the machines.

And no, I'm not saying that I'll be wearing ones that were used to pick up the dog's crap - just the same type as we use for that.

Shake hands, play games, whatever... then toss them out and use fresh ones the next day.

#184 4 years ago

I'm going to go and set up a toilet paper vendor stand.

#185 4 years ago

Getting a ticket?? Not anymore!!

Screenshot_20200309-154420~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200309-154420~2 (resized).png
    #186 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Getting a ticket?? Not anymore!![quoted image]

Hilarious!

Can't wait to see this in each of the other 4 Covid threads, like the crane machine with toilet paper.

#187 4 years ago

I'm seriously considering not going but won't make a decision until I'm 48 hours away from flying out. I think it's easy to see this as mass hysteria but there's a lot we just don't know.

Events are getting canceled all over, some of them at the last minute. If I make the decision to cancel with enough notice to get a credit back from the airline and a refund for the hotel, I'll only be out the money I spent on the ticket to TPF itself. If TPF cancels at the last minute I'll be out everything.

While getting COVID-19 is incredibly unlikely, and it's even more unlikely that I would suffer any complications given I'm not immunocompromised or elderly, what about having to burn ever hour of PTO I have while I'm unable to work? That would screw up every vacation I've got planned for at least 2020 if not 2021.

I just keep coming back to "Is it worth the risk?".

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from pbu:

While getting COVID-19 is incredibly unlikely,.

Why do people keep saying this?

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

Shake hands, play games, whatever... then toss them out and use fresh ones the next day.

Using the same gloves all day might actually be worse than just washing your hands regularly. It doesn't get in through your skin. You've just replaced carrying it on your hands with carrying it on your gloves.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hilarious!
    Can't wait to see this in each of the other 4 Covid threads, like the crane machine with toilet paper.

Or just start a thread about it...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-has-happened-there-is-a-covid-19-crane-machine

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why do people keep saying this?

Because they want it to be true. Simply put. The reality is, we are all just as likely to get it, but only a smaller fraction of society is actually at dire risk of death from it. The needs of the few may outweigh the needs of the many before this is run its course. Do I fear covid19? Not for myself, but for my mother (bless her 80 year old heart) I am very fearful. So if I sequester myself, I am being a good citizen, not a fearful worrywort.

#192 4 years ago

Shoot, I skipped out on TPF this year as it's just gotten to overcrowed for me the past few years. Maybe I'm skipping the wrong year now...

I do really hope they don't CL it and I also do hope that nobody gets sick at the same time.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Using the same gloves all day might actually be worse than just washing your hands regularly. It doesn't get in through your skin. You've just replaced carrying it on your hands to carrying it on your gloves.
    But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Exactly!! Getting the virus on your hands won’t infect you. But touching those hands to your mouth, nose or eyes will. I say, skip the gloves and wear a mask. The mask won’t stop the virus, but it will stop you from touching your nose and mouth which will decrease your chances substantially of becoming infected.

#194 4 years ago

Just a humble suggestion, given the situation, it might not hurt to move the tournament games into a larger space than last year. That or controlled entry. Last year, the tournament games were in a small, muggy space, not compatible with social distancing. Plus multiple tournaments were happening simultaneously. When it was your turn to play, you had to squeeze through the gauntlet of players and bystanders to access your game. I noticed there are additional conference rooms upstairs. Maybe that's a possibility.

#195 4 years ago

The problem is, the masks stop the vapor droplets that carry the virus, the vapor droplets evaporate, the remaining virus is small enough to pass right through the mask. You breathe it in, wah-freaking-lah, you got it. Masks limit exposure to it, but it doesn't protect you. Just do what you can do to limit exposure and live your life. Stay away from vector magnets like kids, heath care workers, and the elderly. Not to protect your self, per se, but to help protect them.

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Just a humble suggestion, given the situation, it might not hurt to move the tournament games into a larger space than last year. That or controlled entry. Last year, the tournament games were in a small, muggy space, not compatible with social distancing. Plus multiple tournaments were happening simultaneously. When it was your turn to play, you had to squeeze through the gauntlet of players and bystanders to access your game. I noticed there are additional conference rooms upstairs. Maybe that's a possibility.

Pretty sure that was the plan even before this came up as it was something they wanted to help imporve. Snailman - he would be the one to confirm/advise.

#197 4 years ago

Are any of the people on the fence contributors to bringing games? As these shows are based on individuals bringing games would be nice to know how many are backing out to see if there is a show to attend. Do the ones running this show have a consensus of who is still supporting the show or vendors? Still on the fence to visit this show but if those bringing games or products are not going it seems like the answer is clear.

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Are any of the people on the fence contributors to bringing games? As these shows are based on individuals bringing games would be nice to know how many are backing out to see if there is a show to attend. Do the ones running this show have a consensus of who is still supporting the show or vendors? Still on the fence to visit this show but if those bringing games or products are not going it seems like the answer is clear.

I doubt the organizers will disclose who is dropping out because they still want everyone to come. Didn't you see Ed's email? The coronavirus is only a "perceived" threat. I'm sure it would be financially devastating for them if it had to be canceled.

#199 4 years ago

This may not be up to the organizers to call. Mayor of Austin nixed SxSW... Frisco’s mayor may follow suit...

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Didn't you see Ed's email? The coronavirus is only a "perceived" threat.

Unfortunately for Ed, there's no difference between a real vs. perceived threat at the cash register. Perception is reality.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/4?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.