Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
    #101 4 years ago

Yeah TPF is next to go. Panic, hysteria and follow the leader with all these conferences.

I’ll be in Vegas the week before and had planned to go so just know this, I could be a carrier by then to the show

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah TPF is next to go. Panic, hysteria and follow the leader with all these conferences.
    I’ll be in Vegas the week before and had planned to go so just know this, I could be a carrier by then to the show

I doubt it, unless the mayor of Frisco goes nuts over the hysteria. South by is such a completely different beast; it's mega-corporate and the scale of the event is like 100x the size of TPF and very international. As enormous as the TPF show has become in recent years, it's just not the same beast at all.

#103 4 years ago

The canceling of large conferences and events that promote long distance travel is on a completely different scale than TPF. Just keep lots of hand sanitizer at the ready and wash your hands frequently and things should be ok.

#104 4 years ago

Just had a major trade show cancelled 10 days out from the event. The level of panic on this virus is not proportional to the effects. But most will believe this is the new Plague. Wash your hands well and regularly, stay hydrated and well-rested, keep reasonable protocols not to expose yourself and you will be fine if you are a healthy adult.

We had a terrible flu epidemic in 2011. It literally was filling hospital beds. I know as I worked for a company that sold a product used to treat in that setting and we were doing record business. No one freaked out like now. I'm all for reasonable precautions, but there is more misinformation than fact in the media right now.

#105 4 years ago

I’m not concerned, but I am for my parents and my older friends. I would take a pass this year. Already went though the flu and would not want to deal with that again. Looks like the mortality rate is hovering at 3%. Not that high of a risk, but that doesn’t mean that getting it still wouldn’t be uncomfortable to say the least. Heck I’d pay admission to them if they would stick a camera on a someone’s head and just have them walk around. It truly is the best show of the year.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Wash your hands well and regularly, stay hydrated and well-rested, keep reasonable protocols not to expose yourself and you will be fine if you are a healthy adult.

Agreed, which is why they should cancel TPF. We all know what the crowds are like at pinball shows. As a group we have insanely bad hygiene when it comes to this shit. Tons of slobs who don't wash up plus thousands of hands touching the same buttons.

I would feel totally fine traveling by air, going to a trade show, going to an amusement park...pretty much anything other than a pinball show. Wash your damn hands, it's disgusting.

#107 4 years ago

It's really not about the average person getting it, it's about spreading it to those that could be impacted severely by it. You have it for weeks before you even know in some cases. It's also the difference between a virus that has a vaccine, and one that doesn't (and which is more contagious as well). I'm not sure what part of this people don't understand. If you are going to compare it to the flu, at least grasp that concept. I do think those going out and clearing shelves are going overboard, but NOT going to huge events crowded with people is more common sense than going overboard.

#108 4 years ago

Nope ........ but going to St. Marteen for the 9 days will. Go have fun playing with your ballz. Ill be on the beach.

#109 4 years ago

I've found this site useful for tracking what's happening without any media spin.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Or you can get to it from the Hopkins website by clicking the map in the image of the dashboard here: https://systems.jhu.edu/research/public-health/ncov/

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#110 4 years ago

Aren’t people from all over the country coming?

Combined with the normal hygiene would you be comfortable with touching flipper buttons with bare hands?

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Aren’t people from all over the country coming?
    Combined with the normal hygiene would you be comfortable with touching flipper buttons with bare hands?

I would bring gloves.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I would bring gloves.

and sneeze guards.

And they are now saying it can be passed through poop particles, so you might want to wear carbon filtered undies.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

and sneeze guards.
    And they are now saying it can be passed through poop particles, so you might want to wear carbon filtered undies.

Dang I love playing with feces. First case confirmed right near the Louisville Arcade show today.

#115 4 years ago
    pinballprotection (resized).jpgpinballprotection (resized).jpg
    #116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

And they are now saying it can be passed through poop particles

Uh oh. Someone tell Stern and JJP not to bring their latest turds.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

[quoted image]

won’t feel the same

#118 4 years ago

Ok, I run MGC. One week later than Texas. I do t speak for them but...

First, calm down.

We have this stupid leadership vacuum on this issue. We knew it had the possibility to come over here. For whatever reason, we didn't decide to develop tests or whatever until just recently. This gives us terrible data to actually understand what is going on.

There was a great article on the mortality rate from Vox and how it will change. Here's a link to it

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/5/21165973/coronavirus-death-rate-explained

The problem is that our officials keep changing the story. I'm not trying to make a political statement on any way, but Trump handling it by dismissing it as a hoax, by telling people that people with the virus were probably still going to work, and contradicting people right after they share information.

What's frustrating is a lot of what he's saying isn't too far off base, but the way he's saying it allows fear, uncertainty and doubt because if one organization is saying the death rate is super high, and then he's saying it's not but your coworker probably has it and doesn't even know, now in people's heads they go my coworker probably has it and it kills a ton of people! Thus sowing further doubt.

This has left everyone with this weird leadership vacuum right now. The truth is, I don't know the best course of action to keep everyone in Milwaukee safe - nor should I. I organize a show. I rely on medical professionals to help guide things like this, but without their leadership right now, more and more people are asking me what should be done.

I hope, and I assume this is the same for any show, that in the future weeks as our shows approach we get more information from health officials who can tell us what is really going on with the situation. There is a lot of evidence that seems to point to it not being as bad as it is made out to be (see the Vox article above). On the flip side, it could be just beginning and could get significantly worse very quickly..

We should have professionals in the world that can better predict this than I, and I hope their voices are heard more. I do believe and have hope that next week we will start to see actual tests in the US, and that by the end of the week we'll have a lot more information on what is really going on. If so, a couple weeks with the best health care professionals from across the planet working together with decent data will, I believe, allow us to start to get a grip on this.

I would suggest at this point, no one changing their plans unless you feel you would be particularly at-risk
    In a week, let's check back in and see what more data there is.

Again, I'm totally not repressing TPF here, but if anyone has any questions for me I can answer as best as possible from the MGC planning side. I am going camping with my son this weekend so I'll only have access once in a while however.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Ok, I run MGC. One week later than Texas. I do t speak for them but...
    First, calm down.
    We have this stupid leadership vacuum on this issue. We knew it had the possibility to come over here. For whatever reason, we didn't decide to develop tests or whatever until just recently. This gives us terrible data to actually understand what is going on.
    There was a great article on the mortality rate from Vox and how it will change. Here's a link to it
    https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/5/21165973/coronavirus-death-rate-explained
    The problem is that our officials keep changing the story. I'm not trying to make a political statement on any way, but Trump handling it by dismissing it as a hoax, by telling people that people with the virus were probably still going to work, and contradicting people right after they share information.
    What's frustrating is a lot of what he's saying isn't too far off base, but the way he's saying it allows fear, uncertainty and doubt because if one organization is saying the death rate is super high, and then he's saying it's not but your coworker probably has it and doesn't even know, now in people's heads they go my coworker probably has it and it kills a ton of people! Thus sowing further doubt.
    This has left everyone with this weird leadership vacuum right now. The truth is, I don't know the best course of action to keep everyone in Milwaukee safe - nor should I. I organize a show. I rely on medical professionals to help guide things like this, but without their leadership right now, more and more people are asking me what should be done.
    I hope, and I assume this is the same for any show, that in the future weeks as our shows approach we get more information from health officials who can tell us what is really going on with the situation. There is a lot of evidence that seems to point to it not being as bad as it is made out to be (see the Vox article above). On the flip side, it could be just beginning and could get significantly worse very quickly..
    We should have professionals in the world that can better predict this than I, and I hope their voices are heard more. I do believe and have hope that next week we will start to see actual tests in the US, and that by the end of the week we'll have a lot more information on what is really going on. If so, a couple weeks with the best health care professionals from across the planet working together with decent data will, I believe, allow us to start to get a grip on this.
    I would suggest at this point, no one changing their plans unless you feel you would be particularly at-risk
    In a week, let's check back in and see what more data there is.
    Again, I'm totally not repressing TPF here, but if anyone has any questions for me I can answer as best as possible from the MGC planning side. I am going camping with my son this weekend so I'll only have access once in a while however.

I run the new Ohio Show,PinBrew with the former owner of the Ohio
    Pinball show. I am married to a brilliant doctor who is educating us on the issues. Its in the same league as the flu. Wash your hands ,cough into your armpit an STAY home if your ill. Life goes on people,even if the press has wrote off humanity

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I run the new Ohio Show,PinBrew with the former owner of the Ohio
    Pinball show. I am married to a brilliant doctor who is educating us on the issues. Its in the same league as the flu. Wash your hands ,cough into your armpit an STAY home if your ill. Life goes on people,even if the press has wrote off humanity

What does your brilliant spouse doctor think about large gatherings and pinball tournaments? Does the doc think canceling these large events - conventions, festivals etc - is a good idea or just the press writing off humanity?

#121 4 years ago

I’m amazed at the total insanity taking place

Then again, why should I be surprised

Total ignorant behavior.

Now it’s “stupid leadership” when H1N1 and Ebola was all good?

Quit making excuses and show some leadership yourselves

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What does your brilliant spouse doctor think about large gatherings and pinball tournaments? Does the doc think canceling these large events - conventions, festivals etc - is a good idea or just the press writing off humanity?

So I posed the question you asked to my brilliant doctor wife. Her response was we do not need to close large events. People need to be educated on how to deal with these pandemics/epidemic/call it what you will. Wash your hands don’t touch your face if you’re not feeling Ill ,well stay home. Life needs to go on. She also stated if you have any underlying conditions you should not risk going out into any great public function.She also said we all need to play more Pinball because it’s healthy for us. OK maybe she didn’t say that but I thought I heard It can’t guarantee that is true.

#123 4 years ago

At this point you gotta shut it down

The mayor from Austin has spoken on South by Southwest and I’m sure the Frisco mayor is right behind him declaring an emergency

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

So I posed the question you asked to my brilliant doctor wife. Her response was we do not need to close large events. People need to be educated on how to deal with these pandemics/epidemic/call it what you will. Wash your hands don’t touch your face if you’re not feeling Ill ,well stay home. Life needs to go on. She also stated if you have any underlying conditions you should not risk going out into any great public function.She also said we all need to play more Pinball because it’s healthy for us. OK maybe she didn’t say that but I thought I heard It can’t guarantee that is true.

Did I also mention she’s smoking hot.

C3C30D97-180D-46A4-B605-E6D6B666B9A1 (resized).jpegC3C30D97-180D-46A4-B605-E6D6B666B9A1 (resized).jpeg
    #125 4 years ago

How about this concept?

Just live your life.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Did I also mention she’s smoking hot.[quoted image]

Please Disregard the game she’s playing this should have no conscious effect on what we are discussing.

#127 4 years ago

Stuff is spreading like wildfire. CO had none, then a couple, now just found out school closed early near my kid’s school. Parent/family from there has it. They are buds with people at my kid’s school. School closures may happen sooner than I was guessing.

I would not go to a mass gathering in a state that has it if you have any old people in your life...or if you are one

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

What's frustrating is a lot of what he's saying isn't too far off base, but the way he's saying it allows fear, uncertainty and doubt

No, what's frustrating is he has no credibility anymore even if he might say something true.

Contradicting health professionals at the onset of the outbreak was just another day.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Please Disregard the game she’s playing this should have no conscious effect on what we are discussing.

HA! I was just about to call out the irony of the pin’s theme. Completely laughing out loud right now.

But, point taken.

Like a lot of things in life, I suspect the best course of action lies somewhere in the middle. It’s not time to shelter in place, but not time to attend HugFest 2020, either.

I would be lying if the thought of not attending hasn’t crossed my mind, but I am aware of the risks - which are admittedly higher given the slovenly typical pin dude - and will mitigate via distance and frequent sanitation.

I’m a (relatively) young buck, so willing to roll the dice a bit. I don’t judge those who feel otherwise, so long as they don’t sew unwarranted fear.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

No, what's frustrating is he has no credibility anymore even if he might say something true.
    Contradicting health professionals at the onset of the outbreak was just another day.

Again, I am doing my best to keep politics out of the discussion here as those are the rules, *however* it is impossible to address this matter without noting the presidents role in it.

#131 4 years ago

Good (slightly uncomfortable) discussion. Despite the fact I purchased TPF tickets in advance, and airline tickets, and have a hotel reserved, I would be totally understanding if they cancelled the event out of an abundance of caution. Not panic, caution. Let's face it, it's a shitty situation. TPF is an event where people fly in from all over, including places where county health departments are now recommending that people avoid unnecessary travel. On top of that, a lot of pinheads are "older people". The definition of "older people" is a little unclear, but according to the CDC, older people are at higher risk and generally have a more difficult time fighting off Coronavirus. As of today, on CDC's web site, they recommend the following for such people:

- Stay at home as much as possible.
    - Make sure you have access to several weeks of medications and supplies in case you need to stay home for prolonged periods of time.
    - When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often.
    - Avoid crowds.

And on top of that, I saw in today's news that 18,000 people attended the AIPAC conference in Washington, DC March 1-3 and afterwards two people tested positive for Coronavirus. I guess that means thousands of people who attended that conference have an increased risk of contracting/spreading the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about more positive test results (tied to that conference) in the coming days.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Again, I am doing my best to keep politics out of the discussion here as those are the rules, *however* it is impossible to address this matter without noting the presidents role in it.

Wow. How about social media and mainstream media

Totally disappointing Dan, you would be best to just shut down right now and blame it on something else

#133 4 years ago

Based on all the fake news I wouldn’t go to either show

Stay home everybody

Everybody should be canceling due to the government’s fault

It’s not safe based on the horrible job done and no reason to risk any lives whatsoever

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Good (slightly uncomfortable) discussion. Despite the fact I purchased TPF tickets in advance, and airline tickets, and have a hotel reserved, I would be totally understanding if they cancelled the event out of an abundance of caution. Not panic, caution. Let's face it, it's a shitty situation. TPF is an event where people fly in from all over, including places where county health departments are now recommending that people avoid unnecessary travel. On top of that, a lot of pinheads are "older people". The definition of "older people" is a little unclear, but according to the CDC, older people are at higher risk and generally have a more difficult time fighting off Coronavirus. As of today, on CDC's web site, they recommend the following for such people:
    - Stay at home as much as possible.
    - Make sure you have access to several weeks of medications and supplies in case you need to stay home for prolonged periods of time.
    - When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often.
    - Avoid crowds.
    And on top of that, I saw in today's news that 18,000 people attended the AIPAC conference in Washington, DC March 1-3 and afterwards two people tested positive for Coronavirus. I guess that means thousands of people who attended that conference have an increased risk of contracting/spreading the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about more positive test results (tied to that conference) in the coming days.

No logic is allowed man. Come on!!!

#135 4 years ago

I'm curious if ice is reading the same thread as the rest of us...

#136 4 years ago

Don’t buy into Media Hype!!! Don’t let them spoil your good time. Just wash your hands when your done playing and use the sanitizer TPF is going to give out in the goodie bag. If you do that when you take a break to go eat or use the bathroom the risk is low.

#137 4 years ago

Hell no I won’t miss TPF. I came back from China in Early December sick as a dog, I’m pretty sure I am over it already.

#138 4 years ago

If the media is telling you to shut it down then you better do it for the sake of humanity

Way too many people are scared to death

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from Turboprop:

Hell no I won’t miss TPF. I came back from China in Early December sick as a dog, I’m pretty sure I am over it already.

How can we know brother! I was up in Lubbock last week at Flippers. Were you at the local Tourney?

You might be a carrier, I’m a potential carrier

Wtf? I’ve got a f ing scratchy throat right now

#140 4 years ago

Someone should tell him about how alcohol lowers your bodies ability to fight off disease.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Someone should tell him about how alcohol lowers your bodies ability to fight off disease.

Why he will write it off as fake news?

#142 4 years ago

For the sake of the public health when will the leaders of TPF and MGC cancel the events amidst the terrible virus outbreak?

Come back next year right ?

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Does Texas even have any active cases?

This was on my local news last week— There was a lady that was released from the Local quarantine on Lackland AFB in San Antonio she had served her time in quarantine had passed 2 tests. So before flying home she went to the North Star mall shopped around and had a meal in the food court. They later found out that a third test she was given came back positive and she shouldn’t have been released until the third test result was in. They closed the mall for deep cleaning. But who knows if she spread it to others in the mall walking around touching everything. If she infected anybody they could have it right now and just be in the incubation period and not be showing symptoms yet.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/north-star-mall-reopens-its-doors-after-deep-cleaning-following-coronavirus-patients-visit-this-weekend/273-1eee7349-7636-4a27-8c68-5b36c666f29f

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

This was on my local news last week— There was a lady that was released from the Local quarantine on Lackland AFB in San Antonio she had served her time in quarantine had passed 2 tests. So before flying home she went to the North Star mall shopped around and had a meal in the food court. They later found out that a third test she was given came back positive and she shouldn’t have been released until the third test result was in. They closed the mall for deep cleaning. But who knows if she spread it to others in the mall walking around touching everything. If she infected anybody they could have it right now and just be in the incubation period and not be showing symptoms yet.
    https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/north-star-mall-reopens-its-doors-after-deep-cleaning-following-coronavirus-patients-visit-this-weekend/273-1eee7349-7636-4a27-8c68-5b36c666f29f

Exactly, when in doubt you need to start panicking and canceling everything. You never know what might happen

The monies lost should take a backseat to the potential lives lost

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The monies lost should take a backseat to the potential lives lost

If only I thought you meant that.

#146 4 years ago

The crazy crowd is in control for the moment and
    It’s not good For business

It is what it is. The timing sucks

Time to shut it down. In a few weeks, it will be mass panic and hysteria

God forbid someone dies from a a pinball
    Attended event

What happened to the go fund me scammer from Chicago early on?

Think about it. Yet nothing will change when panic and fear rule the day amongst the media followers

You know I’m right

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Wow. How about social media and mainstream media
    Totally disappointing Dan, you would be best to just shut down right now and blame it on something else

Your sarcasm is I think lost on some people.

The media is absolutely just as much to blame here. I've said recently that what sucks is we don't know how bad this is or will get, but if it isn't super terrible, then the reporting is very chicken little-ish in nature.

The problem is, when a terrible thing happens, we won't be prepared because people won't trust it if we act like this all the time.

Social media doesn't help, but it more parrots what leaders do. And yes, I lump the media with that.

But, ultimately, we need data, and we have only just started to address that for whatever reason.

#148 4 years ago

Hey Dan,

I feel like this could be an existential threat to our existence

The data might be way to late for some

You can NOT count on this terrible governmental response to the virus and therefore I believe the responsible thing would be to shut down BOTH pinball shows

#149 4 years ago

Does anyone know where the Surgeon General is with all this going on? I recall Dr. C. Everett Coop always leading the charge on health issues back in the day

#150 4 years ago

This thread needs more

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/3?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.