Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
    #701 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

the work doesn't start when you show up. we agreed to terms of sale. offering credit to next year is a nice gesture. This is going to hurt them financially.

You know, I'll just admit that I don't even remember seeing the terms of sale on the actual purchase pages. Doesn't mean they weren't there, and it doesn't change anything....though I really do have to wonder if you just didn't understand that I was complimenting the way they're handling it? Very confused.

The financial risk, and reward, is theirs. It's not like this is a charity event, or that we can go to the show and NOT be bombarded with booths full of stuff (frankly a lot of it is just kitschy garbage, at least it was last time I went) for sale. The vendors make a profit, the organizers make a profit. The risk -should- be theirs, as they're the ones that stand to make the money. A lot of the rest of us put in our "risk" by bringing our own games, or volunteering. I mean...seriously. I had TWO plastics chip on Farfalla (that won a show award!) a few years ago. Thankfully the guy I ended up selling it to didn't really care, but have you ever tried to find nice Farfalla plastics? It's unobtanium. And people bring games worth far more than that, like Big Bang Bar and whatnot....I think they're taking on plenty of their own risk. It's not the fault of the organizers, but games *DO* get abused, deliberately, at shows. When I took my Space Shuttle the very first year I went, one of our local guys regaled me with a story of how he watched someone PICK IT UP and coffin drop it several times to move the ball. I laughed at the time, because I was so green I didn't really understand the damage it COULD have done.... It's a miracle that the glass or backglass didn't shatter. I would've been out more money if the backglass had gone than what a ticket is worth, by *far*. Difference is....I didn't stand to make any profit from my game being there.

So yeah, it BLOWS that we all lose our event for this year, and certainly the organizers will lose money, which sucks. But it was theirs to lose in the first place, and none of the guys that are organizers are idiots. One or two of them are pretty darn kooky IMO.....but not idiots. I don't think they would've chosen this route if they didn't feel it was worth the cost to them to extend the olive branch back to the community. They were going to lose either way in this scenario. You don't pay refunds or offer any olive branch, and you piss people off even despite the disclaimer......or you take a temporary financial hit. I personally feel like they made the best choice for as many people as possible, even though I didn't expect anything to be done about purchased tickets. As I said earlier.... the tournament was the only thing that was questionable as far as being refunded. They just stepped WAY up and decided on a path that I certainly did not expect.

I'll miss the show this year, but I have no issue with the statement and decision they've made.

#702 4 years ago

The important thing is that the few number of cases, within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done. We’re going very substantially down, not up. A vaccine is right around the corner. I’ve heard very quick numbers, that of months. People are getting better just by you know, sitting around and even going to work.
    April, when it gets warm, historically that has been able to kill the virus. Just remember, anyone who wants a test gets a test and the tests are beautiful. If you go to the right agents, if you go to the right area, you get the test.

#703 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I wish you'd stop saying that unless you know it for sure. I'm 99% Colin has never taken a cut from the events. I heard the previous ones did take one but I haven't seen it from him. Only $$$ he's spent outside of prizes and tournament expenses have been to reimburse a couple of the techs (myself included) for parts we put into games to keep them running.
    Colin and Phil are two of the most stand up an honest people I know, I'm sure if there is any possible way they can refund some or all the money for the tournament they will.

Thank you, Brad. I appreciate it.

And while I’m in full agreement with the need to cancel it, I’m devastated by the cancellation — more from missing out on one of my favorite weekends of the year than having all the organization and prep work go for nought. And any work that Phil, Dick, Liz, Raleigh, and I have done... take that amount and multiply it by 1000x when you consider what Ed, Kim, and Paul, and others have done.

Also, I can confirm that none of the TD’s are paid — at a minimum since I’ve been involved.
    Josh, I know it’s a stretch to ask this on Pinside, but please don’t make statements which aren’t true.

This whole situation sucks. But let’s all be thankful that — for now— we’re discussing about how we’re upset about missing a year of TPF. There is likely going to be plenty of hardship to go round for a lot of us on here: getting sick, having loved ones get sick (or worse), less pay due to our economy coming to a screeching halt (particularly for those in service, travel, and tourism), and lost jobs.

Please focus your energy on encouraging each other and having each other’s backs — not grabbing your pitchforks over concerns about pinball Show refunds.

#704 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The important thing is that the few number of cases, within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done. We’re going very substantially down, not up. A vaccine is right around the corner. I’ve heard very quick numbers, that of months. People are getting better just by you know, sitting around and even going to work.
    April, when it gets warm, historically that has been able to kill the virus. Just remember, anyone who wants a test gets a test and the tests are beautiful. If you go to the right agents, if you go to the right area, you get the test.

The sad part is many people won’t realize you’re not serious.

#705 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Anyone that gets to "tests are beautiful" and still doesn't realize what's up is delusional (probably with fever).

#706 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

The sad part is everything I posted was said by someone who was serious.

#707 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The sad part is everything I posted was said by someone who was serious.

Oh, still serious. For sure.

#708 4 years ago

Corona: 1
    Me: 0

Damn you virus for killing my pinball dreams. To answer the original post's question, yes, Corona did keep me from attending TPF.

#709 4 years ago

Everything thing is Awesome! Or not.

8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    #710 4 years ago
    Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Everything thing is Awesome! Or not. [quoted image]

It feels wrong upvoting sad things.

#711 4 years ago

Ok, so TPF is definately out, along with other things i had planned! post pics of what you may be doing instead!! lets keep this positive! for those of you who were buying or selling on the way to TPF, what are you going to do now? these questions and more

#712 4 years ago
    Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Everything thing is Awesome! Or not. [quoted image]

infectious (resized).jpginfectious (resized).jpg
    #713 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beaumistim:

Ok, so TPF is definately out, along with other things i had planned! post pics of what you may be doing instead!! lets keep this positive! for those of you who were buying or selling on the way to TPF, what are you going to do now? these questions and more

Since I already had some trade deals, and games sold to people in Texas, I'll still be making the drive out. I've got friends in Dallas that I visit every year. They could care less about pinball. So that means we'll all be spending more time together this year.

#714 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beaumistim:

what are you going to do now?

Stay home...

...and get drunk...

...and play freaking pinball...

Hell, I’m geared for it.

#715 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beaumistim:

what are you going to do now?

I put 192 songs on the iPad I travel with that has manuals and stuff. And an FM transmitter. So I could listen to music on the 14 hour drive to TPF. Last year when having the radio scan I only hit about one song an hour I liked. So this would have been more enjoyable.

So I got to thinking of picking up an iPod and move the music to that. So I could enjoy it on shorter trips around town.

No replacing missing my JJP friends and Guns & Roses, or my AP buddies and Hot Wheels. TPF would have been my only show this year. So I'll hope for reveals, twitch feeds, podcasts, and videos.

LTG : )

#717 4 years ago

CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpegCF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg

Will be here fixing games and playing with my other recently-developed hobby...

ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpegABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg

#718 4 years ago

I am seriously hoping you find a new date THIS YEAR! Personally I think everything is going to cool down big league within the next 14 to 30 days. Maybe you can snag late May or early June. I was so looking forward to going and I promise you I will be there if you reschedule.

I want to support you because I know how devastating this has to be to not only yourself, your business but your entire family!

#719 4 years ago

#720 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No replacing missing my JJP friends and Guns & Roses

did LTG just officially confirm the next JJP game and that is was being revealed at TPF?

best news to come out of this whole thing so far.

#721 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

did LTG just officially confirm the next JJP game and that is was being revealed at TPF?

I was wondering if anyone else caught that...

#722 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I wouldn't call that "officially"
    But yeah it does sound like he let the rabbit out of the hat.

#723 4 years ago

OP can change subject now, it's no longer a question.

#724 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

OP can change subject now, it's no longer a question.

to "GNR was going to be revealed at TPF!"

Hell, we need some good news with this week!

#725 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I am seriously hoping you find a new date THIS YEAR! Personally I think everything is going to cool down big league within the next 14 to 30 days. Maybe you can snag late May or early June. I was so looking forward to going and I promise you I will be there if you reschedule.
    I want to support you because I know how devastating this has to be to not only yourself, your business but your entire family!

Cooling down in 14 to 30 days? Surely you jest Doctor!

#726 4 years ago

The 5 stages of grief sure go fast for some people.

#727 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Yeah I would think this is fantasy. Disney is going to open on March 28? Really?!

I think they just picked that date as a point where they will stop paying their “cast members.” Everybody else who just picked April 1 as the date when this is all over...just an arbitrary place holder.

#728 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody else who just picked April 1 as the date when this is all over...just an arbitrary place holder.

No no, April is when the virus will "miraculously" go away, haven't you heard?

#729 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I would think this is fantasy. Disney is going to open on March 28? Really?!
    I think they just picked that date as a point where they will stop paying their “cast members.” Everybody else who just picked April 1 as the date when this is all over...just an arbitrary place holder.

Yeah, who knows what will happen. One of the top CDC scientists was on Good Morning America this morning and said he expects this to last 2-8 weeks, hopefully on the lower end but who knows. 2 weeks is around March 28th, 8 weeks is the middle of May. Even the scientists can't say for sure what will really happen. Another report came out that Italy is still 2 weeks away from peak levels and then who knows how many weeks with still a high number of cases.

#730 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]
    Will be here fixing games and playing with my other recently-developed hobby...
    [quoted image]

Coin-Op Carnival! I like your watch box too, classy presentation

EDIT: yes, and Pinball Wizards

#731 4 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Also, I can confirm that none of the TD’s are paid — at a minimum since I’ve been involved.
    Josh, I know it’s a stretch to ask this on Pinside, but please don’t make statements which aren’t true.

Colin, that was not the case the last time I discussed it with your predecessor. So, while it may not STILL be true, it WAS true, and I can't be expected to be kept fully in the loop when I'm not an organizer. That's absurd, but you still have my apology for the misinformation. I'll edit the other post when I get a minute.

#732 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I was wondering if anyone else caught that...

I did!

332AB4C0-6680-48EE-8F65-7227DB60A9DE (resized).png332AB4C0-6680-48EE-8F65-7227DB60A9DE (resized).png
    #733 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

No, I'm going by the Pinside rumor that Eric would be there with it. And shouldn't have repeated it.

If by chance I was right. Thank you for throwing me under the bus. I was tired of doing tech support for JJP.

Lloyd

#734 4 years ago

Don't worry, think everyone kind of knew this already!

#735 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Don't worry, think everyone kind of knew this already!

That Whysnow was a well respected Virologist and is fluent in the ways of microbiology? I don't know man, this seems like a news to me?

#736 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No, I'm going by the Pinside rumor that Eric would be there with it. And shouldn't have repeated it.
    If by chance I was right. Thank you for throwing me under the bus. I was tired of doing tech support for JJP.
    Lloyd

no intention of tossing you under the bus. I figured it was JJP way of having a litle fun since TPF was cancelled.

What better way to 'leak' than have the tech man himself casually mention it in the bowels of a thread.

pretty sure JJP knows better than to fault anyone for repeating something they have been unable to keep under wraps for months now.

#737 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you for throwing me under the bus

I want you to know I refrained from saying anything...

4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    #738 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Lloyd

LLoyd if this would get you fired it would be yet another major blunder perfected by JJP. Please tell me he isn't that dense. I am looking forward to seeing the machine though.

#739 4 years ago

While it would've been nice for others to flip on GNR at the show, I'm hopeful JJP will (finally) produce proper launch materials for the internet.
    Perhaps they'll craft a presentation and then let Eric play and showcase the game in a pre-recorded stream. Then, they should open the floodgates for orders of the 1000 pre-built machines.

#740 4 years ago

Now they can yank the expensive toys out before anyone sees them!

(I keed, I keed, nothing but love, Eric.)

#741 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

No I don't jest. People are catching this and getting over it in a week or so. I'm betting thousands of people have gotten this before this even become a nationwide media epidemic, went to the doctor, got some medicine and got better in a week. People are acting like if you get this it's a death sentence... its not. It's deadly than the flu because people who have pre-existing medical conditions it can kill those people a lot fast than the flu. People who're the most at risk should be the same people being triple smart. The media is acting as if people are dying in a second by second basis, you contract this virus and you're dead 10 seconds later. It's not like that.

I would bet previous to the media hype that up to 1 million people got this thing, thought they had the flu, got rest, medicine and are better now. There was no testing for it until recently. Cancelling pinball shows is smart right now, until the government can catch up and get a handle on everything including the messaging.

The messaging is the most important thing needing to cut thru what is or isn't true and calm people down. Once people start to understand all the details about this I feel everyone will calm down drastically.

Give this whole thing 2 weeks and you'll see a drastic reduction in concern from most Americans. I've been watching videos from doctors and they're mostly all saying the same thing the media is making it sound way worse than it really is... you catch it 97% of the people get rest medicine and boom they're back to normal.

That is a far cry from how its being described thru social media and the mainstream media.

#742 4 years ago

The problem is not how many will die, the problem is can the healthcare system take in the millions at once? No. So we must limit spread to ease the burden on the system, because if it does get overrun with old people, then people will start to die that didn’t have to. This is just plain logic, no politics involved, however the President just announced an national emergency, so take that as you will.

#743 4 years ago

So I know some people are worried about their 55.00 weekend pass and maybe they don't have it to throw away, but personally I just would like to see pinfest continue for many years to come. I look forward to it each year. Maybe we should be asking Ed and family if they need our help. I am sure their is a lot of money they can not recover. I don't know how they can raise the money for next year if they refund or give us free admission in 2021.

#744 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I would bet previous to the media hype that up to 1 million people got this thing, thought they had the flu, got rest, medicine and are better now. There was no testing for it until recently.

It's not like the flu. In China, researchers are finding that between 2-3 in every 10 cases that SURVIVE have PERMANENT reduction in lung function that results in shortness of breath permanently on brisk walk level of exertion. Imagine getting that kind of damage at 30. That is NOT the flu profile. Saying it shouldn't be taken VERY seriously because it's like the flu or a cold is a really poor idea.

#745 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

No I don't jest. People are catching this and getting over it in a week or so. I'm betting thousands of people have gotten this before this even become a nationwide media epidemic, went to the doctor, got some medicine and got better in a week. People are acting like if you get this it's a death sentence... its not. It's deadly than the flu because people who have pre-existing medical conditions it can kill those people a lot fast than the flu. People who're the most at risk should be the same people being triple smart. The media is acting as if people are dying in a second by second basis, you contract this virus and you're dead 10 seconds later. It's not like that.
    I would bet previous to the media hype that up to 1 million people got this thing, thought they had the flu, got rest, medicine and are better now. There was no testing for it until recently. Cancelling pinball shows is smart right now, until the government can catch up and get a handle on everything including the messaging.
    The messaging is the most important thing needing to cut thru what is or isn't true and calm people down. Once people start to understand all the details about this I feel everyone will calm down drastically.
    Give this whole thing 2 weeks and you'll see a drastic reduction in concern from most Americans. I've been watching videos from doctors and they're mostly all saying the same thing the media is making it sound way worse than it really is... you catch it 97% of the people get rest medicine and boom they're back to normal.
    That is a far cry from how its being described thru social media and the mainstream media.

I'd love to know what medicine you are advising people to take where they will recover within a week?
    The hospital I work in has just had their 2nd and 3rd confirmed cases admitted to ICU.
    If I give you their number can you give them a call and offer your expert medical advice?

#746 4 years ago

Wonder how many of these people are willing to put their 10-30 pin collections on the line to show how confident they are that this is going to be 'over' in 2 weeks.

We really hope it does end that quickly. Even if it does, it doesn't mean what's being done was wrong....well except maybe the toilet paper hoarders. They are freaks.

#747 4 years ago
    Quoted from bankmansam:

don't know how they can raise the money for next year

They can keep my 2020 admission money and give me a deep discount on 2021 would be what I think is fair to both parties. So with lower expenses of not actually having the show, coupled with keeping a large portion of the gate should make the discounts for 2021 pay for itself, but not all TPF attendees might see it this way. I am sure lawyers are involved and contracts will be broken/kept/enforced and the final outcome will not be clear until after 2021.

#748 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Wonder how many of these people are willing to put their 10-30 pin collections on the line to show how confident they are that this is going to be 'over' in 2 weeks.
    We really hope it does end that quickly. Even if it does, it doesn't mean what's being done was wrong....well except maybe the toilet paper hoarders. They are freaks.

Singapore did pretty much everything right and kept their infections and deaths low, but it's still going on there. US so far has done almost EVERYTHING wrong, the government is having Johns Hopkin's real time tracker obfuscate the stats for each state again as of yesterday. This is helpful to NO ONE. We need to know where the outbreaks are, and how bad they are.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

EDIT: Put the direct johns hopkins windowed link here instead of the direct tracker link because some people still think the severity of this is a hoax.

We're on the Italy path of infection and health system overload, not Singapore's excellent relatively flat graph. We're looking at 2-3 months AT BEST.

#749 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Singapore did pretty much everything right and kept their infections and deaths low, but it's still going on there. US so far has done almost EVERYTHING wrong, the government is having Johns Hopkin's real time tracker obfuscate the stats for each state again as of yesterday. This is helpful to NO ONE. We need to know where the outbreaks are, and how bad they are.
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
    We're on the Italy path of infection and health system overload, not Singapore's excellent relatively flat graph. We're looking at 2-3 months AT BEST.

Yea to clarify, I am in the shutting things down camp. It will be a very sad state of affairs if this does last 2-3 months.

#750 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I've been watching videos from doctors and they're mostly all saying the same thing the media is making it sound way worse than it really is.

The “Theodorcik Medieval Barber” video doesn’t count.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/15?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.