Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.
    #501 4 years ago

Food for thought for you guys still planning to go. That’s some scary shit.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

#502 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I need to take a few chill pills seriously? The NBA just suspended their entire season. The NCAA said their tournament will feature games with no fans. Tom Hanks and his wife got the virus. Thousands of people World Wide are DEAD! Trump suspended travel to Europe, China and other countries. An NBA player for God Sakes just got this thing... and you tell me to take a chill pill. Is there something wrong with you and that is a serious question. In Italy people aren't even allowed to leave their house basically.
    I'm not in panic mode, Im not hiding out in a corner wondering if the sun will come back out. I'm trying to be totally realistic. The NBA stopped their season fans sit side by side, they don't touch each other. Pinball players put their hands all over the machines, then lose their ball and say to the guy next to them "UR UP" and you tell me to chill.
    Do you know the average demo for pinball buyers? I'd bet the average age of people going to TPF is 48 years old. This Virus impacts older people rather than younger people, meaning a huge chunk of those who buy pinball games.
    Forget all of that... do you actually think its fair to the vendors, who're going to lose half the attendance? People from Europe can't even come! Look at this poll almost 50% say they're not coming. So Vendors will be investing money into this trip only to twiddle their thumbs. Is that fair for them?
    Do you honestly and I mean honestly think its a good idea to have a pinball tournament right now... HANDS all over pinball buttons, glass, then the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy. You actually think that is smart? Seriously?
    I'm not in panic mode, I still went out for dinner yesterday, I went down to my shop worked with our guys, I went to three stores, but you know what else I did... I had a bottle of hand sanitizer. I don't need to get this virus and be put into a hospital for a month.
    Its not called panicking its called being smart until they get a handle on this thing. Being smart isn't going to a pinball tournament and touching machines that 100 other people touched within the previous hour. That is not smart at all.
    So keep on ranting like you know everything. Whatever! Get some common sense here.

Don't you have pinball machines on location? Have you shut them off during this time so people don't risk contaminating themselves or others? Or are you keeping your location open? I'm just curious.

#503 4 years ago

One of the most difficult aspects of containment is the fact that merely rebreathing the same air is enough to transmit the virus from person to person.

Worse, people are highly infectious several days before showing any symptoms.

Washing hands, phones, door handles, not touching your face helps to prevent settled virus material getting into your system, but airborne transmission is still taking place without any coughing symptoms.

This is going to last until summer or possibly longer until we get serious about containment. Vaccine will not be ready by then, so don’t bank upon it.

Fresh air and minimizing contact is all we’ve got right now. No need to freak out, just do what you can to play the best odds.

#504 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You’re being ridiculous. Making a different decision than you doesn’t equate to being nonchalant.
    Do the research. Assess your own situation. Act accordingly.

“Do the research” is what Flat-Earthers & other conspiracy theorists & reality deniers say when facts get in the way. Doctors & scientists are doing the research. Real research & real people are sick & real people have died. These are facts. Acting like a post-truth tough guy will likely lead you to being a carrier & getting others sick. Being willfully ignorant on this is going to make you a bio-terrorist.

#505 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I will be there hell or high water. My guess is many of us here take daily risks that are higher than coronavirus like replying to a text while driving, consuming some form of drug be it tobacco, alcohol, or caffeine, and being a pinball crowd probably not eating the healthiest of diets. Nobody freaks out over those things on a daily basis. I'm not going to freak out about a new strain of flu going around. Stay home if it makes you feel better, shorter lines for me.

Your choice of course Tommy. Trying to justify attending the show by relating it to acknowledged stupid human/unnecessarily risky acts such as texting while driving doesn't help to support your opinion though.

#506 4 years ago

I think at this point, if you have anyone in your life you actually care about that you could possibly infect that might not fair as well as you, doing any of this is a stupid human/unnecessary risk. This is why people can't agree on things. You want to say drinking/texting as an example, because you've been told those are bad (and possibly seen the results). Well, people who've seen the results are telling you this is bad. Take heed.

#507 4 years ago

If only people got this fired up about the leading causes of death in the US each year...

Many of which are more more easily impacted and have less cost to society to exert change.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death
    Heart disease: 647,457
    Cancer: 599,108
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
    Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
    Diabetes: 83,564
    Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

#508 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If only people got this fired up about the leading causes of death in the US each year...
    Many of which are more more easily impacted and have less cost to society to exert change.

Really trying to figure out what your horse is in this race.

Upset a few Phish shows will be postponed?

#509 4 years ago

Whysnow Let me help you see the difference...

Heart disease: 647,457 - Doesn't infect others
    Cancer: 599,108 - Doesn't infect others
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936 - Ban cars. Doesn't infect others
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201 - Doesn't infect others
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383 - Doesn't infect others
    Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404 - Doesn't infect others
    Diabetes: 83,564 - Doesn't infect others
    Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672 - Yep, that sucks too bad we don't do something about that too
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633 - Doesn't infect others
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173- Doesn't infect others
    Corvid-19 - Infects others.

#510 4 years ago

Yeah, scary but it’s weird that they are allowing workers to go back to the production plants at least in Lucca. You would think they would stay on lockdown.

#511 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It’s not about the death! It’s about the spread & there not being enough room at hospitals to handle everyone getting it at once. We’re probably all going to get it & most likely get through it - but it’s SAFER for those it’s more dangerous to if LESS people get it NOW.

Also - people with those other diseases will be put into worse situations if the hospitals are flooded with CoronaVirus victims.

Don’t be willfully ignorant of the facts of this situation with false equivalency comparisons to irrelevant health issues.

#512 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

One of the most difficult aspects of containment is the fact that merely rebreathing the same air is enough to transmit the virus from person to person.
    Worse, people are highly infectious several days before showing any symptoms.
    Washing hands, phones, door handles, not touching your face helps to prevent settled virus material getting into your system, but airborne transmission is still taking place without any coughing symptoms.

This is true. They say if you are close enough to someone that you can smell their breath you are inhaling airborne particle from their mouth which would include the virus if they had it.

#513 4 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

This is true. They say if you are close enough to someone that you can smell their breath you are inhaling airborne particle from their mouth which would include the virus if they had it.

They also say it is in poop particles, so if someone farts and you smell it.....

#514 4 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Our company just out a 6 foot rule in place that we can’t closer than 6 feet from each other, no shaking hands obviously and all corporate people that can will need to work from home

#515 4 years ago

Sux bad, I have my flight booked and was looking forward to meeting pinball friends in TX for the first time. Reality is, we may not have a decision to make, as this is evolving very quickly. Some municipalities are banning events with more than 250 people, some less. If I have to decide to fly into an area thousands of miles from home with confirmed cases and an atmosphere of (at best) caution, I’m not looking forward to that decision. But I hope we are all safe.

#516 4 years ago

Did you know there is a game where you can try and infect the world and kill off all of humanity? It’s called Plague Inc. and my wife has been playing it for years, and is an expert at mutating her virus and killing off mankind. It has all these graphs and charts exactly like what you see on the news right now. Infection rates, incubation periods, etc... it is all based on the science behind it. The programmers have commented they tried to make it as real to life and science as possible.

Ok, so big deal, my wife knows exactly what viral traits make a successful deadly viral strain that can wipe out humanity in a computer game...

Yes, but-

Her best planet killing virus she has ever “engineered” in the game had all the exact same traits as this corona virus... the only thing that it isn’t doing is killing everyone equally, or to say it another way, it currently favors killing the immuno compromised and elderly. The virologists will confirm that in a pandemic, the viral strain is not static. It can and will mutate as it spreads. If it mutates to a wider populace demographic, which could happen at any time, we could be toast. Which is why pandemics are pandemic.

Just a little FYI on why we are skipping TPF, but you can make your own call.

#517 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672 - Yep, that sucks too bad we don't do something about that too
    Quoted from Zablon:

Corvid-19 - Infects others.

But MOST people will recover from these, yes?

MOST people whom use common sense will avoid these? i.e. dont open mouth kiss strangers, wash hands often, don't sneeze in someones face, things like that?

#518 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

MOST people whom use common sense will avoid these? i.e. dont open mouth kiss strangers, wash hands often, don't sneeze in someones face, things like that?

Don't attend large conventions where thousands of people with generally questionable hygiene from across the country are in close proximity and touching the same things? Things like that?

#519 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Actually I would say most people don't avoid any of that, why do you think the flu spreads so much? As for avoidance, I will say before this I was clueless as to how many people died from the flu. I rarely get it, but hate when I do. The way I look at it is we already have the flu to deal with. Who really wants to deal with ANOTHER potentially fatal sickness on top of it. It's probably too late though, it's probably here to stay unless it mutates into something harmless.

#520 4 years ago

From left field though....I still am more scared of Lyme Disease than this. Fuck ticks.

#521 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really trying to figure out what your horse is in this race.
    Upset a few Phish shows will be postponed?

I bet he is. Can’t he just smoke a bowl and put a bootleg recording on to take the edge off?

#522 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I bet he is. Can’t he just smoke a bowl and put a bootleg recording on to take the edge off?

If you aren't twirling around with your tongue hanging out and spreading your virus germs throughout an entire arena floor, it just ain't the same.

#523 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Fuck ticks.

Amen to that one. Yeesh.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I really don't get people quoting these flu stats. You're talking about deaths from a whole year. This thing has been active less than TWO MONTHS.

#524 4 years ago

I'm a marketing manager for a senior community. I stated earlier I was concerned, but still going to TPF. After seeing parades and major sporting events cancelled...... celebs getting this virus I'm out.

I'm going to do my due diligence and not go. My census has a 120 people living in my building...all of them well into their golden years. I can't even fathom if I was a carrier and brought that back to my community.

I tend to agree with others...do the right thing here and postpone TPF.

#525 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

celebs getting this virus I'm out.

This one cracks me up too. Thousands of people get virus: meh, Tom Hanks gets virus: OH SHIT! PANIC!

#526 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't attend large conventions where hundreds of people from across the country are in close proximity and touching the same things? Things like that?

That is a persons prerogative. One can CHOOSE to avoid certain situations.

Quoted from Zablon:

Actually I would say most people don't avoid any of that, why do you think the flu spreads so much?

True, most people have terrible hygiene habits in this first world country with running water and a decent sewage system. Imagine how things are in countries w/o such amenities.

We don't cower from the Flu every year, and I would love to know the number of people like myself whom do NOT get the vaccine for it every year, so why all the hysteria over covid19?

#527 4 years ago

I wonder if Iceman is still having his open house? I was looking forward to that.

#528 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

True, most people have terrible hygiene habits in this first world country with running water and a decent sewage system. Imagine how things are in countries w/o such amenities.
    We don't cower from the Flu every year, and I would love to know the number of people like myself whom do NOT get the vaccine for it every year, so why all the hysteria over covid19?

I think the 'why' has been covered multiple times. I even addressed a bit of it in the post you quoted.

#529 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

Sux bad, I have my flight booked and was looking forward to meeting pinball friends in TX for the first time. Reality is, we may not have a decision to make, as this is evolving very quickly. Some municipalities are banning events with more than 250 people, some less. If I have to decide to fly into an area thousands of miles from home with confirmed cases and an atmosphere of (at best) caution, I’m not looking forward to that decision. But I hope we are all safe.

Yep - this is blowing up FAST now in Europe - I'm in UK. I'm not taking anything for granted over the next few days , weeks, even months. Def too risky to book anything travel wise - insurance companies are backing away from this thing as fast as they can. Events, flights, movement are all being cancelled right now.

#530 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This one cracks me up too. Thousands of people get virus: meh, Tom Hanks gets virus: OH SHIT! PANIC!

It's one of those "sad but true" things about modern communication. That kind of connection can make it more real for people, and hopefully Tom Hanks getting it will help save lives. I know I know, odd to put it that way, but mass communication works in funny ways sometimes.

#531 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Thats fine. I work in environment that take cares of your parents, grandparents, etc. Regular flu and pneumonia are killers alone in the winter months.

Mock all you want, not risking it

#532 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Mock all you want, not risking it

I'm mocking people who didn't give a shit until a celebrity got sick. As if all of the non-celebrity people on earth are bullshit. Pay attention.

#533 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Amen to that one. Yeesh.

I really don't get people quoting these flu stats. You're talking about deaths from a whole year. This thing has been active less than TWO MONTHS.

Not to mention the argument is stupid AF. Like am I supposed to be okay with it just because there is other shot that could kill me? NO! This is new! It fifnt exist before and its killing people.

Itd be like if suddenly an alligator and a python mated in Florida and its hellspawn started eating people. " Dont worry, Man-Bear-Python has only killed like 2,000 people. Lightning kills blah blah blah every year."

We get it. We've come to terms with death from other sources. It doesnt mean when a new deadly vector comes along we are all like "so what, shit can kill you already"

#534 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

number of people like myself whom do NOT get the vaccine for it every year

Here in Az, where we swing geriatric in our demographic, these old people take flu vaccines very seriously. They ask each other all the time, “Got your flu shot yet?” and will ostracize you if you have not. I guess wanting to live a longer life is a common thread amongst the elderly? They also helped vote in medical marijuana because, damn it, maybe there is some health benefits to pain management using it, and maybe I will need it soon?

It’s amazing to see dyed in the wool conservatives suddenly get a little more liberal in their thinking as they get older. I’m trying to figure out why that is? Oh yeah, something about wanting to live...

#535 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm mocking people who didn't give a shit until a celebrity got sick. As if all of the non-celebrity people on earth are bullshit. Pay attention.

That's not really fair.

Most people don't know someone with the virus. At least they didn't till last night.

Now, the entire NBA and Tom Hanks has it. People "know" these people. It's only natural that this makes it "more real" for many people. It's nothing to do with valuing celebs over anybody else.

#536 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think the 'why' has been covered multiple times.

It was a rhetorical question.

Quoted from FYMF:

We get it. We've come to terms with death from other sources. It doesnt mean when a new deadly vector comes along we are all like "so what, shit can kill you already"

It's just one more!

#537 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

lol......I think that was my point....Pay Attention!

#538 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hilton is dead on here. And most of these can be prevented with lifestyle changes and diet, but that ain't the American way.

#539 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

The virologists will confirm that in a pandemic, the viral strain is not static. It can and will mutate as it spreads. If it mutates to a wider populace demographic, which could happen at any time, we could be toast. Which is why pandemics are pandemic.

It makes you wonder how much the use of massive amounts of sanitizer and disinfectant is going to accelerate this process. Before everyone bashes me, I'm not advocating you don't clean things, I'm just thinking out loud.

Sounds like a losing proposition either way you go. Don't disinfect things and more people get infected, disinfect everything and potentially accelerate / cause a mutation.

#540 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The problem is that none of those things happen simultaneously to a large population.

Under normal circumstances, a small handful of people with a viral infection are manageable, and unless they have some serious complications, they are likely to be able to survive it.

The problem right now overseas is that very large numbers of the population are infected and totally overwhelming their heath care infrastructure. For example, if 3 people need a ventilator, and only one is available, 2 of those people probably aren't going to make it.

On top of that, there is no vaccine. That's about a year away, unless some corners get cut.

So, what we have right now are mitigation measures to help slow down the rate of infection within populations. All it takes is one asymptomatic person in a large group of people to spread it around, and for those people to spread it around, and so on. So, limiting gatherings of people will help reduce exposure, and a slower spread will be a bit more manageable for the heath care infrastructure to be able handle.

#541 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

From left field though....I still am more scared of Lyme Disease than this. Fuck ticks.

Yeah. I had that. It sucks. If your fever turns out not to be the big C or flu, make sure your doc considers Lyme. At least that one can be treated with antibiotics—especially if you treat it early enough. I was one of the lucky ones.

#542 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Hilton is dead on here. And most of these can be prevented with lifestyle changes and diet, but that ain't the American way.

He’s dead wrong. People aren’t catching diabetes or suicide from other people & spreading it to others. Don’t peddle in false equivalency.

#543 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Sounds like a losing proposition either way you go. Don't disinfect things and more people get infected, disinfect everything and potentially accelerate / cause a mutation.

Which is why social distancing works better than the “nuke it from orbit” sanitation. By limiting spread via non-contact, you don’t artificially accelerate the mutation mechanism by killing weaker forms of the virus, thus promoting the more virulent strain. This is just simple logic.

#544 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

But this thing can live on plastic and stainless steel - two of the primary places this crud would land on, buttons (hands) and lockdown bars (sneezes, coughs) - for up to 3 days. It can hang around in the air for 3 hours.

"They found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

Source: https://time.com/5801278/coronavirus-stays-on-surfaces-days-tests/

Look, I'm not condoning huddling in a storm shelter, stockpiling TP, etc. But, the whole "just don't kiss anyone with it" mentality is a bit shortsighted. This thing is different in that it's much easier to contract than your average bug.

Are you likely to die? No. Does that mean you should willingly become a spreader? Also no, IMHO.

#545 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The problem is that none of those things happen simultaneously to a large population.
    Under normal circumstances, a small handful of people with a viral infection are manageable, and unless they have some serious complications, they are likely to be able to survive it.
    The problem right now overseas is that very large numbers of the population are infected and totally overwhelming their heath care infrastructure. For example, if 3 people need a ventilator, and only one is available, 2 of those people probably aren't going to make it.
    On top of that, there is no vaccine. That's about a year away, unless some corners get cut.
    So, what we have right now are mitigation measures to help slow down the rate of infection within populations. All it takes is one asymptomatic person in a large group of people to spread it around, and for those people to spread it around, and so on. So, limiting gatherings of people will help reduce exposure, and a slower spread will be a bit more manageable for the heath care infrastructure to be able handle.

There are many communicable diseases, always has been, always will be, but the issue here to remember is that once infection occurs and 97% of the population recovers, the diseases/conditions Hilton listed are not (for the most part) recoverable and will and do result in death. Perspective is needed.

#546 4 years ago

Stern Pro Circuit Championships cancelled.

#547 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

He’s dead wrong. People aren’t catching diabetes or suicide from other people & spreading it to others. Don’t peddle in false equivalency.

He never said that, go back and read the points he raised.

#548 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

giphy-11.gifgiphy-11.gif
    #549 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

He never said that, go back and read the points he raised.

His points are irrelevant to this situation.

#550 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Amen to that one. Yeesh.

And it’s just getting started, the flu has been around awhile.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/11?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.