Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 250 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TPF Corona Virus Recovery Thread!”

• Hell Yes, im concerned 207 votes
      46%
    • Hell no, the silverball rolls on 200 votes
      44%
    • I already have the virus, im spreading it around!! 43 votes
      10%

(450 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

youpeople (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.36.37 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.35.12 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.33.09 PM (resized).png
    4AF9F8E6-2DF7-4DD0-B0CA-707965B97C09 (resized).png
    38E6BED7-3E4A-4585-8323-24D4A93A35B1 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).jpg
    4A05C84D-EBF4-4D88-A997-584547719B5F (resized).jpeg
    ABC55A64-3752-4E12-A211-2F452CC48B70 (resized).jpeg
    CF778200-852B-4A7A-8F02-772C37B1D552 (resized).jpeg
    infectious (resized).jpg
    8EDB20EA-ABB1-4EF2-B036-FBC849A62FE5 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    67C069B3-F789-4648-871E-05CEAC9F638A (resized).png
    8BALL (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 18.
    #451 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

There seems to still be a lot of unknown about if this virus will go into summer or not...I was initially thinking mid april in parts of the country...but really no idea.
    How's Austrailia/NZ doing?

I'd assume Australia is doing shitty as it just gave Tom Hanks and the entire crew of an Elvis movie the Virus.

Why are they filming a movie about Elvis in Australia?!

Late Summer/Early Fall.

Everything till then is toast and it sucks. I had a pretty sweet Summer lined up.

#452 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Why wait? Cancel your trip and hotel and move on. Worst case your out a few hundred. Whats the point of continuing to carry on about it?

Spencer, its obvious you could care less about anyone's concerns. The #1 demo for pinball has to be 45 plus, and the virus is killing mostly people who're older. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me you can think of ONE THING maybe other than SLOT MACHINES where this virus could spread faster than on a pinball machine?

Are you really that dumb? They're saying don't shake hands, but hey its perfectly fine to touch a pinball game, person after person lined up to play.

How do they play with their HANDS! DUH!

I don't see how going to an NBA game is as big a deal, you don't touch each other. Pinball look at the glass along covered in finger prints, now think about the flipper buttons. Dude you just have no respect for anyone! Seriously you don't. And you downvoted me and others... dude you're sad!

#453 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Late Summer/Early Fall.
    Everything till then is toast and it sucks. I had a pretty sweet Summer lined up.

I don't think that's really true. Unless my flight gets cancelled, I'm still taking my family away for our two week vacation. The trip was basically free considering how much money I saved on not buying toilet paper.

#454 4 years ago

Just got the email that Arcade Expo in Banning is postponed. TPF postponement is inevitable.

CF06486F-51C8-48F8-B252-7A5C9E94C1CD (resized).pngCF06486F-51C8-48F8-B252-7A5C9E94C1CD (resized).png
    #455 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Spencer, its obvious you could care less about anyone's concerns. The #1 demo for pinball has to be 45 plus, and the virus is killing mostly people who're older. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me you can think of ONE THING maybe other than SLOT MACHINES where this virus could spread faster than on a pinball machine?
    Are you really that dumb? They're saying don't shake hands, but hey its perfectly fine to touch a pinball game, person after person lined up to play.
    I don't see how going to an NBA game is as big a deal, you don't touch each other. Pinball look at the glass along covered in finger prints, now think about the flipper buttons. Dude you just have no respect for anyone! Seriously you don't. And you downvoted me and others... dude you're sad!

I must be missing something? I said, " cancel your trip and hotel and move on"

Proceeded with another tirade from you about dirty machines and down votes. Good lord man, move on.

#456 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

They aren't forcing you to go. Don't go.

#457 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why are they filming a movie about Elvis in Australia?!

Tax credits. Some countries give out tax credits which the producers can sell to a big business there, which they use to reduce their taxes.

So if a film gets 40 million in tax credits, they sell them for say 80 cents on the dollar, a company saves 20%. Right now Georgia is dishing out so many tax credits its hard to believe their government can pay their bills! Seriously!

The entire film industry basically has moved to Georgia.

#458 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Finally something we can agree on.

#459 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It will be cancelled I'm sure by this Friday so it won't matter. I already stated my position I was going to see if there was a game or two to buy and see vendors. I have NO plans to touch pinball machines where 1000 people have put their hands all over them. If many people are cancelling which they are, and or people show up and don't play the games, because they probably won't, what is the point of having the show?

Is there any?

Do the show in July just move it back a couple months not the end of the world really. I'm betting by June this whole thing settles down. TPF should call the same hotel and ask for another date ... give it 3 months find a new date and I'm sure everyone would be supportive of that move.

#460 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

give it 3 months find a new date and I'm sure everyone would be supportive of that move.

People might be supportive, but it might be mostly in spirit. Plans have to be changed. In 3 months time, if this all blows over, and people are working, there might be so much backlog work to be caught up that many people will not be able to take time off. Or worse, some companies and jobs may not survive this crisis. And then you will be looking for job.

#461 4 years ago

Safety is more important than pinball. Some might disagree but its true. I have a big show coming up next weekend and now no one can fly in from Europe. Think of the vendors here, they paid to get the full range of buyers. Now they won't get that because people are not coming. Attendance will be down by a lot that isn't fair to vendors is it? What about all the people who haul games up there, maybe they can't sell them because attendance is down. So if not for safety think about the vendors they deserve a show with the full impact this event brings!

#462 4 years ago

I would think that the TPF will be cancelled based on other events around the USA being cancelled.

#463 4 years ago

dont be like freddie,
    hes dead already.

theshowmustgo (resized).jpgtheshowmustgo (resized).jpg
    #464 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

dont be like freddie,
    hes dead already.

That's pretty funny!

#465 4 years ago

This was to be my first TPF. I’m going to pass. Seriously, it’s just pinball. I would be absolutely crushed if I some how picked up this virus and brought it back home and passed it on to someone like my parents for example. I really hope the people that run this show decide to cancel and push back to a further date.
    I would be happy to support some of the vendors by buying stuff online to support their business if a list of vendors were provided that were attending. I do appreciate all the hard work the vendors put on to create a show. With all these other massive conventions and sport venues and colleges making the responsible decision to put their events on hold, it’s unfortunately feeling a little irresponsible to not at least push back the date of this event imho.
    I’ve heard such great things about this event. This whole thing stinks.

#466 4 years ago

As much as I was looking forward to this event, we've pulled out. Wife's health isn't the best. Neither of us are exactly young.

I hope TPF survives this year and we get back to grumbling about how fast rooms sell out for next year.

#467 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

As much as I was looking forward to this event, we've pulled out. Wife's health isn't the best. Neither of us are exactly young.
    I hope TPF survives this year and we get back to grumbling about how fast rooms sell out for next year.

I don’t think I will attend either, and I say that with great sadness as it was the biggest thing I’ve been looking forward to.

I am pneumonia-prone and I’m not up for the risk. Sucks.

#468 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I would be happy to support some of the vendors by buying stuff online to support their business if a list of vendors were provided that were attending.

https://texaspinball.com/tpf/vendors/vendors2020/

LTG : )

#469 4 years ago

Bummed that it won’t happen this year.

#471 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Cool. Thanks!

If you Really feel guilty, you should sell your Gottlieb Spirit to a very local collector. Then you would have a Clear conscience! Just a thought...

#472 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

If you Really feel guilty, you should sell your Gottlieb Spirit to a very local collector. Then you would have a Clear conscience! Just a thought...

Nah....it’s a piece of junk. The volume doesn’t work and the scoring mechanism is broken. It occasionally gives out 4 million points by accident for some reason.

#473 4 years ago

Sounds awful! I’ll take that piece of crap off your hands. Wouldn’t want it bringing down the property value of @yelobird’s collection.

#474 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Sounds awful! I’ll take that piece of crap off your hands. Wouldn’t want it bringing down the property value of yelobird’s collection.

Hey!! I need that game while we huddle in the basement for months waiting for this to pass! Should give me enough time to get your dam high scores off my machines!! lol

#475 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

I’m pulling out too. Bummed. It’s an excellent pinball show.

#476 4 years ago

Damn....I'm out. Its more the financial hit I'm going to take from this shit.
    All will be good in time , we'll do it again next year.

#477 4 years ago

Wasn’t going, Still not going. The best pinball tournament this year is in my basement (and the only one left)

#478 4 years ago

Regret that this happened. Honestly, this was to be a huge getaway (RE: Vacation and fun) for me personally and I was looking forward to meeting as many of you as I could and just having fun. I'm cancelling my room today and moving forward. I even sprung for first class for the very first time for my flight... so I'm sure I'll be eating that but don't care.

Most importantly right now, my family and kids need me and I can't increase the risk at all to them. I think what some may be missing is if you are away, someone in your family could get sick and they may need you at home. If I'm on the road and my wife gets sick, I need to be there. While this is a risk I can assume during "normal" times, now is not the time for me to be away. Also, the potential of getting sick in a city far away when a pandemic is happening is not a good thing.

I wish everyone the best and hope to see you at the next one! To the TPF organizers, even though I'm losing out I'd be willing to throw a little cash your way in the way of a fundraiser to cover your exact losses so you can move forward for next year (or later this year) if this year is cancelled. Perhaps others would also.

#479 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

I even sprung for first class for the very first time for my flight... so I'm sure I'll be eating that but don't care.

Maybe not. Airline COVID19 refund and waiver policies are evolving. I believe they all will eventually allow cancellations with a credit to use on a future flight.

Here's the current status by airline:
    https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/50104455/covid-19-flight-waivers-and-refund-policies-by-airline/

#480 4 years ago

If TPF doesn't happen this year, I'll be first in line to support any effort to help them defray the losses from this year - GoFundMe or Kickstarter or whatever. Pretty sure there are a few thousand folks on here that would do the same. The show is such a huge undertaking for Ed, Kim and Paul, I can't imagine the stress they're under at the moment. My thoughts are with you guys, and the pinball community will stand with you.

#481 4 years ago

TPF is still on, but the Frisco fire department has suspended children’s birthday parties at the fire station. Looks like things are getting real.

https://www.friscotexas.gov/1621/Coronavirus-Information

#482 4 years ago

If the show doesn't cancel and all the vendors are attending, and all the games will be on site for sale... I might still go but its just to look.

HOW CAN ANYONE actually hold a pinball tournament right now? That is out of the question. One player after another is going to play the game. All pinball tournaments should be cancelled sorry to say. TPF doesn't seem like a place known for the tournaments more for the gathering, unveiling, vendor booths, buying/selling.

So even if you keep TPF on you must cancel the tournament i mean c'mon you can't do that no way in hell!

So if you can't have a tournament why even have the show? Honestly I'd like to see TPF cancel, and move the date back into the heat of the summer!!!

Either way I'm hoping for the best for everyone including the organizers of the event.

#483 4 years ago

I have a diabetic grandson that we see at least twice a week. Being that diabetes is an autoimmune disease, I would NEVER put myself in a position that might make his life more difficult than it already is.

My and my wife's age don't help matters either.

#484 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

TPF is still on, but the Frisco fire department has suspended children’s birthday parties at the fire station. Looks like things are getting real.
    https://www.friscotexas.gov/1621/Coronavirus-Information

Firemen go through medical training and are quite often the first responders on emergency calls.
    Gotta keep them healthy, those boys save lives the same as paramedics.

#485 4 years ago

I'm going to just assume that TPF cancels and MGC follows suit.

What is going to happen if it does happen to all the reveals? Think about this for a moment. Right now DEEP ROOT is flying in a ton of people to see all their new games. Maybe Chicago Gaming has something, JJP has Guns, Stern is whatever, maybe their is a mystery new game who knows. What happens?

Good question huh?

Can someone say JACK DANGER to the rescue... I'll bet there will be a lot of Jack Danger coming soon on twitch.

Will be a bummer to miss out on seeing the games first hand but everyone's safety should take priority!

#486 4 years ago

If I were a deeproot employee no way I'd want to do the reveal in person anymore. Fly a bunch of strangers in from around the country that want to touch the new games and shake hands? No thanks.

Why you would willingly invite this into your facility is beyond me.

#487 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

If the show doesn't cancel and all the vendors are attending, and all the games will be on site for sale... I might still go but its just to look.
    HOW CAN ANYONE actually hold a pinball tournament right now? That is out of the question. One player after another is going to play the game. All pinball tournaments should be cancelled sorry to say. TPF doesn't seem like a place known for the tournaments more for the gathering, unveiling, vendor booths, buying/selling.
    So even if you keep TPF on you must cancel the tournament i mean c'mon you can't do that no way in hell!
    So if you can't have a tournament why even have the show? Honestly I'd like to see TPF cancel, and move the date back into the heat of the summer!!!
    Either way I'm hoping for the best for everyone including the organizers of the event.

You need to go take a few chill pills.

You are all over the place and this thing has you way too worked up.
    Stop trying to social influence when you cant even keep a consistent logical train of thought and all your outward mental justifications just spewing out there.

First it all needs to cancel, then you are going but wont touch games and just look to buy, and now they need to cancel the tournament because that is irresponsible.

It reads to me like you really are fearful of it all and want the shows to delay because you fear going now but really want to go.

I suggest making the decision for yourself, cancel all your plans and self quarantine for the next few months. It is the safest thing for you and the one thing you can control in all of this for yourself and family.

I personally have no financial choice to self quarantine so I will go along with my daily routine. I will try to avoid those most susceptible but my day to day has zero choice. The scientific reality is that we are going to see this at some point and it is just a matter of time.

Rest, drink water, take care of yourself.

Let others do their thing and make the decisions they have to make.

#488 4 years ago

It will. Can't enter America from europe anymore.

#489 4 years ago

Shut TPF down.

#490 4 years ago

Any body looking to get rid of a single bed room at the TPF PM me. looking for Thursday and Friday only. I need a room!

#491 4 years ago

I’m still going. Still helping run the tournaments. Nothing the CDC has published indicates my risk is significantly higher than for other illnesses.

I encourage everyone to assess their own situation and act accordingly.

#492 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I encourage everyone to assess their own situation and act accordingly.

I'd also encourage everyone to assess how their actions would impact others who aren't so lucky with their health. Being nonchalant about you personally getting the disease probably means you will be the reason others get sick.

#493 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I'm going to just assume that TPF cancels and MGC follows suit.
    What is going to happen if it does happen to all the reveals? Think about this for a moment. Right now DEEP ROOT is flying in a ton of people to see all their new games. Maybe Chicago Gaming has something, JJP has Guns, Stern is whatever, maybe their is a mystery new game who knows. What happens?
    Good question huh?
    Can someone say JACK DANGER to the rescue... I'll bet there will be a lot of Jack Danger coming soon on twitch.
    Will be a bummer to miss out on seeing the games first hand but everyone's safety should take priority!

Need a hug bro?
    I promise not to cough on you.

#494 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Nothing the CDC has published indicates my risk is significantly higher

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Being nonchalant

You’re being ridiculous. Making a different decision than you doesn’t equate to being nonchalant.

Do the research. Assess your own situation. Act accordingly.

#495 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Regret that this happened. Honestly, this was to be a huge getaway (RE: Vacation and fun) for me personally and I was looking forward to meeting as many of you as I could and just having fun. I'm cancelling my room today and moving forward. I even sprung for first class for the very first time for my flight... so I'm sure I'll be eating that but don't care.
    Most importantly right now, my family and kids need me and I can't increase the risk at all to them. I think what some may be missing is if you are away, someone in your family could get sick and they may need you at home. If I'm on the road and my wife gets sick, I need to be there. While this is a risk I can assume during "normal" times, now is not the time for me to be away. Also, the potential of getting sick in a city far away when a pandemic is happening is not a good thing.
    I wish everyone the best and hope to see you at the next one! To the TPF organizers, even though I'm losing out I'd be willing to throw a little cash your way in the way of a fundraiser to cover your exact losses so you can move forward for next year (or later this year) if this year is cancelled. Perhaps others would also.

In a similar situation. Hoping TPF pushes the show out a few months as I would still love to attend this year.

#496 4 years ago

I will be there hell or high water. My guess is many of us here take daily risks that are higher than coronavirus like replying to a text while driving, consuming some form of drug be it tobacco, alcohol, or caffeine, and being a pinball crowd probably not eating the healthiest of diets. Nobody freaks out over those things on a daily basis. I'm not going to freak out about a new strain of flu going around. Stay home if it makes you feel better, shorter lines for me.

#497 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I will be there hell or high water. My guess is many of us here take daily risks that are higher than coronavirus like replying to a text while driving, consuming some form of drug be it tobacco, alcohol, or caffeine, and being a pinball crowd probably not eating the healthiest of diets. Nobody freaks out over those things on a daily basis. I'm not going to freak out about a new strain of flu going around. Stay home if it makes you feel better, shorter lines for me.

Just think of all the Aspartame that is ingested daily, and that is the real poo!

#498 4 years ago

One thing is an absolute truth- corona virus will not stop anyone from going to TPF. It doesn’t care who you are, what party you belong to, or that it can or cannot kill you, or wether you come to Texas or not. However, the government (at some level- local, county, state, or federal) on the other hand, will. Don’t take a handicapper long to calculate those odds. Anyone want to take a bet that TPF doesn’t get shut down? Odds are not looking good.

#499 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You need to go take a few chill pills.

I need to take a few chill pills seriously? The NBA just suspended their entire season. The NCAA said their tournament will feature games with no fans. Tom Hanks and his wife got the virus. Thousands of people World Wide are DEAD! Trump suspended travel to Europe, China and other countries. An NBA player for God Sakes just got this thing... and you tell me to take a chill pill. Is there something wrong with you and that is a serious question. In Italy people aren't even allowed to leave their house basically.

I'm not in panic mode, Im not hiding out in a corner wondering if the sun will come back out. I'm trying to be totally realistic. The NBA stopped their season fans sit side by side, they don't touch each other. Pinball players put their hands all over the machines, then lose their ball and say to the guy next to them "UR UP" and you tell me to chill.

Do you know the average demo for pinball buyers? I'd bet the average age of people going to TPF is 48 years old. This Virus impacts older people rather than younger people, meaning a huge chunk of those who buy pinball games.

Forget all of that... do you actually think its fair to the vendors, who're going to lose half the attendance? People from Europe can't even come! Look at this poll almost 50% say they're not coming. So Vendors will be investing money into this trip only to twiddle their thumbs. Is that fair for them?

Do you honestly and I mean honestly think its a good idea to have a pinball tournament right now... HANDS all over pinball buttons, glass, then the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy. You actually think that is smart? Seriously?

I'm not in panic mode, I still went out for dinner yesterday, I went down to my shop worked with our guys, I went to three stores, but you know what else I did... I had a bottle of hand sanitizer. I don't need to get this virus and be put into a hospital for a month.

Its not called panicking its called being smart until they get a handle on this thing. Being smart isn't going to a pinball tournament and touching machines that 100 other people touched within the previous hour. That is not smart at all.

So keep on ranting like you know everything. Whatever! Get some common sense here.

#500 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Being smart isn't going to a pinball tournament and touching machines that 100 other people touched within the previous hour. That is not smart at all.

I have to agree. I know you were looking forward to the show a lot, I was too, but it's an absolutely unacceptable risk. Frisco TX *does* have confirmed cases.

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf/page/10?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.