(Topic ID: 213977)

Will changes in Tariffs cause Pinball prices to soar?

By OLDPINGUY

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by benheck
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    04A2E627-0ECD-4521-94D4-41D817D84A26 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I realize this is a borderline subject, but I want to stress the need to keep the political side out of this discussion.
    So the question more so, is how much will a Change in costs (25% tariffs) on China affect the Hobby?
    Do we expect new pin prices to rise 10%, 20%, more?
    What about parts? LEDs are on the list..
    Will they jump up as well.
    Should the hobby be concerned or at least aware enough to begin to think of any strategy, changes, or even stocking up purchases, if we here dates, but no idea how it might affect the hobby? Should we care at all?

Please remember, no politics, just pinball affects.

#4 5 years ago

The new round has electronics, LEDs, and other materials....

#9 5 years ago

So, if displays, and all electronics are affected.....or did I read something in error?
    (Always possible these days)

2 months later
    #39 5 years ago

Id almost expect a 10% price increase coming on pins, when costs get moved through the system......Rather see them go down, as we all would.

#48 5 years ago

If only the tariffs we see now happen, IMO, Sterns bottom cost will increase because of this.....It cascades to many other industries as an example, all shipping costs will increase.
    Now how a company treats that.....ignores/absorbs, passes on, or passes on cost plus profit is a unique business decision.

My opinion on them raising prices because of this is based on the previous increases.
    Should Stern or other, need additional increases above and beyond this, I certainly dont know, as only they do.
    But they have had to increase in this area too, in the past.

So my guess with these two, is a 10% increase, when the dust settles.....of course Ill be happy to be wrong, and maybe prices will go down!

1 week later
    #55 5 years ago

It appears that FART is designed to allow unilateral tariff control to the President as part of the desire to scrap WTO "rules".
    The sad part, is it appears the "Ace in the hole" comes from the meetings again of China, Russia, NK, Iran and Venezuela, to
    obliterate oil trading in US Petrol dollars.
    This "push back" to current tariffs and opening salvo in a trade war, seems to be possible, and believed would create hyper-inflation throughout the US.
    Thats not good for anyone...let alone pinball.

2 months later
    #58 5 years ago

Heres the 200 page list of Tariffs....Durable goods are towards the end.

https://www.scribd.com/document/388885888/US-China-Tariff-List-09-17-18

Lead time on tariffs and different goods filled will take time to show in market.
    Estimated 10% increase on AGI, for an Average Family. This is a loose statement.

Lets hope it ends, before it grows, as on topic, Id hate to see another increase in NIB.

#60 5 years ago

There are many models to look at and ones AGI is a wide personal range.
    A family of 3 in Mississippi has an average AGI half of that as someone in the NE.
    In your number, no, it would be much lower percent as AGI increases.
    I should have quantified it more...just tricky as the numbers are all over the place.

Its why the articles target Walmart Shoppers as being hit first.
    Everything is so globally interconnected, that the increased costs of goods coming in, plus the decreased sales on goods be exported will hit almost everything we buy and use.

Example the Paper we buy here may be made here, but the chemicals to make, may be overseas.
    An iphone has parts from 25 countries....different affect.

An LED bulb could increase from 25%-35%, or BOM on a Pinball could increase overall what? 5%-10%? more?

So any numbers in reading are all over the place, depending also on Political perspective, and Personal
    numbers. In your personal example, it might only be 2%.

I just know that when I was bidding on National orders, Quality, Price, and Lead time, were insanely integrated with Country and duty. The variances in duty from 0%-6.5%, so I was always shifting production around Asia and Mexico. 25%, is a number that is likely more scary to me than others.

7 months later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-changes-in-tariffs-cause-pinball-prices-to-soar?tu=OLDPINGUY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.