(Topic ID: 141491)

Will careful ironing on mylar reactivate the glue ?

By Flippermatt

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippermatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Has anyone tried to reactivate the glue where the mylar has bubbled on the playfield ? The mylar lifts after years of heat from the std lightbulbs in the inserts. As it lifts, air has to be drawn in from underneath. That air can only come through the small space that is created over the years between the inserts and the surrounding p.f. To me that would mean the lightbulbs also dry and shrink the silicone or woodglue that hold the inserts, enabling air to rise. The mylar glue is dry but since no moisture has ever been there I would think that pricking a small hole in the bubble and carefully heating the area can reactivate the glue, push it flush, let the air escape and let the glue set again. Correct ?

My concern is if the glue activates at a dangerously high temperature, then we are passed the point of no return where either the mylar or the playfield itself has already started taking damage...

Your thoughts and experience here is invaluable... I really need to rid them bubbles....

Thanks
    Matt

2 weeks later
    #5 8 years ago

I tried yesterday to prick a hole in bubbled mylar and inject Johnsons future floor polish.. It is sticky and is great to bond things when building plastic parts together for example airplane modelling.. It´s the 2nd hobby of mine.

But...

No matter how much I injected and pressed the bubble down flat the Kleer polish would not suck and hold down the raised mylar to the P.F.... What would be my next choice ? A glue that dries absolutley clear between the insert and mylar is necessary... Is there a better varnish that could be used ?

Thanks
    Matt

#10 8 years ago

Vid... I was about to write you... In your thread "the complete restauration" you suggest the hairdryer solution which would make it self-adhere again... Well I tried that, heating the Mylar as much as I did dare, pressed it down firmly and held for a good 5 minutes... The Mylar still rose and there was no hint at all that the Mylar would try to stick again... This was before the Johnsons Kleer Plan B.

Thanks VID for all your great input in your threads.

Matt

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippermatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-careful-ironing-on-mylar-reactivate-the-glue?tu=Flippermatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.