Coyote Ugly1.jpg
heithkit fireball.gif
Heithkit Fireball Pinball.JPG
kingpin offer.jpg
024.JPG
023.JPG
download.jpg
image-779.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 10 years ago

There is a distinction between prototypes or pilot machines and regular production games (not even counting the initial whitewood). Artwork and details can vary from one proto to another of the same machine (I've seen three Capcom Kingpin protos and each one had different coloring in the playfield artwork). Scared Stiff pilot run games had numerous details (that we all know about and love - good thing that other people have offered most of them as replacement parts) that weren't in the production games. Capcom made 14 proto Big Bang Bars but never made any regular production games. Gene Cunningham made the first actual production run of BBB, albeit limited to the board sets he had available. I would not call Gene's BBB games remakes.

And now the world will come to an end, because I never thought I would ever agree with teekee about anything.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I wonder how many people were on the list for Kingpin and why it never got built?

He seemed to be short 28 people for the 150 minimum he needed (see Kingpin offer sheet). I wanted it to happen, since I have an empty silkscreened Capcom Kingpin cabinet and I could have had Kingpin number 16 to go with my BBB number 16.

kingpin offer.jpgkingpin offer.jpg
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I owned a PMI production BBB, kept it NIB for a couple of years (I had no room to set it up), then sold it. I got to play the game in others' collections so I was able to get my fill.
I just played it again a couple of weeks ago and it left me cold. Overly repetitious music (the main music loop is like 10 seconds long) and annoying callouts. Game play was decent but nothing mind blowing.
I think the appearance, rarity, and mystique of the game are the only things that make most people want one.

I believe you are well-known and respected in the pinball community (by me included). But, please, leaving BBB NIB for years and then selling it reeks of buy-low-sell-high profit taking, and anything negative said after such a sale reads like sour grapes to cover your choice of money over the rare machine. But you are certainly entitled to state your opinion.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Right because knocking down the values of games is what flippers do?

Knocking the game after he's already sold it and made his profit it won't hurt a flipper, especially with a game like BBB where he isn't very likely to ever have another one to sell.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'd trade my spare plastics for a mint Firepower or EBD.

So you are saying that you have a playfield plastic set for BBB then?

1 week later
#249 10 years ago

The really high price of that BBB is due to its extreme rarity in Europe. All BBBs sold to people in Europe were completed by IPB first in order to ship them before the effective date of an import ban on the type of solder which had been used on the Capcom PCBs that Gene used up on BBB games. It may be illegal for anyone in Europe to buy a BBB from someone in the USA and try to ship over there. How'd you like to live in Europe and pay big bucks for a BBB from the USA and have customs seize it?

I have IPB BBB #16 and someone would have to make me an outrageous offer before I would consider selling it. (That statement is not meant as trying to solicit any such offers.)

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How would customs even know what solder was used?

It is their job to enforce import laws (see article copied below, as published by The Ames Library). An individual may be able to slip a small package past them (they don't open everything). But who would risk trying to pass a complete assembled pinball machine whose production date suggests it probably contains the banned solder?

Composed of lead and tin, traditional solder is widely used in the electronics industry because as it heats up, it will suddenly melt. This is in sharp contrast to many metals that undergo a slow transition from solid to liquid. A solder blend of 63 percent tin and 37 percent lead acts like a pure metal with a single melting and solidification point. In addition, tin-lead solder is able to wet and adhere to both surfaces it is attaching, and once hardened, it conducts electricity efficiently and stands up to long-term use. Despite these abilities, lead has long been recognized as a highly toxic material that can cause brain damage. Its use in paint was banned in 1978, and it was later removed from gasoline. With these concerns in mind, in 2006, the European Union put strict limits on the amount of lead permitted in electronic devices sold there. Given the global nature of the electronics industry, the EU ban is in essence international in scope. Estimates cited by the EPA show that American companies could forfeit $240 billion in sales of electronic components over a three-year period if the nation does not continue its development of lead-free solder alternatives that meet environmental regulations imposed by the EU and other governing bodies.

1 week later
#292 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

NOS CAPCOM boards arrived yesterday. No customs interrogation, or examination.

You lucked out. But try importing to Europe a complete BBB game and see if that gets by customs?

Quoted from vid1900:

What will that car be worth in 10 years compared to the BBB?

That depends on if BBB gets remade in much bigger quantities by someone like PPS. The value of the relatively few BBB games that currently exist can only go up if there are no other remakes of it.

Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The parts are harder to find than the machines. There were a lot of rare BBB parts on eBay recently that went for big bucks!

Those who preordered BBB were also given the chance to preorder some unique spare parts for it. I purchased $500 in spare parts including a spare ramp, plastic set, a couple extra sets of the target decals, an extra tube dancer figure, an alternate pink tube dancer figure with blonde hair, the optional plastic rings that mount around the left side tube, and a couple other things (that was more than five years ago and I can't remember everything). I didn't feel the need to buy a spare playfield for a game that would be HUO in a collection of 15 pins. If I were to ever sell my #16 BBB I would probably include the spare parts with the game. Maybe someone sold sold their BBB for a high price and then sold their spare parts separately in order to make even more profit?

1 week later
#346 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

BBB is not even a top 30 pin.

It is human nature to shower praise on things which you are smart enough to own and to show distain and dilike for those things which you did not or could not acquire. For this reason ratings for BBB are lower than they should be. Of course, I would be fine if BBB is never remade.

#348 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you play the game you would agree it's not a top 30 playing game.

Was that comment directed towards me? I have AFM and BBB directly opposite each other at one end of my pinball room. Looking in that direction I have to decide if I want to kill aliens or have a drink with them.

#353 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm not saying BBB is a bad game. It's average. Same goes for AFM.

That puts your opinion of BBB in perspective: you have it about the same level as AFM, a game which most people love. I think that those who don't share your opinion that AFM is an average game should not put any value on your opinion of BBB. If you're not a good judge of one why should anyone think you're a good judge of the other?

#357 10 years ago

I played a Kingpin several times back in 1996 without knowing it was a prototype (a friend and I didn't know the arcade we frequented was one of three test locations for new pins back then). I liked almost everything about the game, including the modes, call-outs, dots (I remember one mode where the crook on the DMD would keep yanking bags of cash out of a safe if you made ramp shots, but would fall asleep and snore if you weren't making ramps), slot machine, and hotel in the upper left hand corner. I remember they needed ramp protectors at the ramp entrances because they were fairly close to the flippers and would take a beating without them. But I felt the one thing that did not work was the gimmick with a gradual loss of flipper power (status depicted in light inserts on the playfield) where you had to keep making ramp shots in order to add power back to the flippers. The problem was that as soon as the flipper power dropped low enough that the ball couldn't make it up the ramp - ball over. Other than that it was a really nice game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-bbb-be-remade-again?tu=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.