Topic Stats

• 373 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BBB.jpg
image-926.jpg
KingPin04122008.jpg
IAAPA_group_pic.jpg
bbb.jpg
image-767.jpg
bbbpl.JPG
america.jpeg
Coyote Ugly1.jpg
heithkit fireball.gif
Heithkit Fireball Pinball.JPG
kingpin offer.jpg
024.JPG
023.JPG
download.jpg
image-779.jpg

There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 6 years ago

i'm not saying it's a bad game. It's average. Same goes for AFM. it's just with AFM, being and econoline game, seems you should get more for your money. empty playfield isn't worth 7k.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes it is. You need to play one where all the stuff is working.
LTG : )™

Wasn't it documented that your game locked up during gameplay? I was told by more than a few people that there were rules missing.

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm not saying BBB is a bad game. It's average. Same goes for AFM.

That puts your opinion of BBB in perspective: you have it about the same level as AFM, a game which most people love. I think that those who don't share your opinion that AFM is an average game should not put any value on your opinion of BBB. If you're not a good judge of one why should anyone think you're a good judge of the other?

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Wasn't it documented that your game locked up during gameplay? I was told by more than a few people that there were rules missing.

I'm sorry I don't recall. I remember when I got it none of the ramp optos were working and a lot of switches in the rear.

I played it a lot and don't recall it locking up for me.

#355 6 years ago

BBB's gameplay is irrelevant. What it comes down to is what game other than Medieval Madness could sell more than 1000 units at an $8K pricepoint. CC wouldn't without the continued code, and I don't think AFM or Kingpin would either.-hardly anyone has even seen or played one. MB would probably be the closest contender, but I still think BBB would be by far the best choice. Even if they only build 1000, that would still put the total number of BBB's at under 1200 which would still make it an incredibly rare and sought after game. Don't forget too, that improvements would most likely be made to the software and it would also likely have color DMD support. It's already a sick looking game but if they added color dmd and some innovative color changing lighting to the inserts, it could really be spectacular!

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Why? BBB is not even a top 30 pin. The only real appeal is its value and collectibility and that certainly wouldn't crossover to the remake.

It's just my opinion. Just about everyone I talk to would want one....if they were not $25k...

#357 6 years ago

I played a Kingpin several times back in 1996 without knowing it was a prototype (a friend and I didn't know the arcade we frequented was one of three test locations for new pins back then). I liked almost everything about the game, including the modes, call-outs, dots (I remember one mode where the crook on the DMD would keep yanking bags of cash out of a safe if you made ramp shots, but would fall asleep and snore if you weren't making ramps), slot machine, and hotel in the upper left hand corner. I remember they needed ramp protectors at the ramp entrances because they were fairly close to the flippers and would take a beating without them. But I felt the one thing that did not work was the gimmick with a gradual loss of flipper power (status depicted in light inserts on the playfield) where you had to keep making ramp shots in order to add power back to the flippers. The problem was that as soon as the flipper power dropped low enough that the ball couldn't make it up the ramp - ball over. Other than that it was a really nice game.

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

That puts your opinion of BBB in perspective: you have it about the same level as AFM, a game which most people love. I think that those who don't share your opinion that AFM is an average game should not put any value on your opinion of BBB. If you're not a good judge of one why should anyone think you're a good judge of the other?

Actually, seeing that you own AFM, I already knew why you thought BBB was better than it is. You might as well just go out and buy shit tales and CFTBL.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'd agree about Kingpin. Plus, it's not finished yet so you can take what's there and run with it or even start over on rules and dots. It looks like it could be a really fun game. The real question is though:"Who owns Capcom Pinball right now?"

Exactly. If some could accurately track what's happening in the bankruptcy proceedings it could tell us who may end up owns the Capcom rights. It would be particularly interesting to know what kind of offers would be made for the rights. Seems likely that anyone paying for those rights would do so with the intention of remaking BBB and King Pin

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Why? BBB is not even a top 30 pin. The only real appeal is its value and collectibility and that certainly wouldn't crossover to the remake. Makes no sense to remake it...

No. BBB certainly has way more going for it than value and collectibility. It's a fun pin with a superb theme and great art

#361 6 years ago

BBB is popular for more reasons other than its collectability. It has a phenomenal art package and color combination. It also has good humor, call outs, music, and a great theme. Sci Fi themes are always well received and this one was an adult theme to boot (very unusual).

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No. BBB certainly has way more going for it than value and collectibility. It's a fun pin with a superb theme and great art

Beat me to it.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think you also have to look at what else you can get at the same price point. If BBB was announced instead of MM I expect it would have quickly sold out 1000 units too. Partly due to the current $25k price tag, but also because it's a cool machine and has a lot more to offer than most of what is out there at the moment.

Who knows what the competition might look like a couple of years from now though.

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Don't forget too, that improvements would most likely be made to the software and it would also likely have color DMD support. It's already a sick looking game but if they added color dmd and some innovative color changing lighting to the inserts, it could really be spectacular!

Color DMD sure, but updating the software isn't going to happen unless someone wants to either start from scratch, or find the original code that compiled for the BBB boardset and finish it up. Overlaying new rules on top of existing, emulated code is just not something that can easily be done. At least not seamlessly so that it appears to be all original. Cactus Continued is a complete rewrite that copied the original ruleset and expanded upon it.

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'll give you theme and great art but still gets most of its appeal from its value, rarity and collectibility IMO. Just not good enough to remake… especially since it would be a difficult process unlike MM

#366 6 years ago

In 1996, BBB prototypes were presented at the Pinball Expo show in Chicago. It was Capcoms latest game and was planned to go into production shortly afterwards. For many visitors of this show, Big Bang Bar was the best new game shown (remember this was at a time that other manufacturers like Williams still made pinball machines, all new models were introduced to the public at this show).
Big Bang Bar was unique and raised the bar on many levels: it was certainly Capcoms best machine ever. Quality of sounds and artwork is excellent, dmd animations are great, the playfield has great flow, there's humor in the gameplay and its sounds. Everything in the whole theme fits together.

Excerpt from-

http://www.flippers.be/pinball/capcom/bigbangbar/bigbangbar.html

#367 6 years ago

Yep, Williams bought the rights and was even going to make BBB themselves - that's how excited the industry was about the game.

The rarest of all the BBB is the single Williams model.

#368 6 years ago

So if Williams bought the rights then can planetary pinball remake these?

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The rarest of all the BBB is the single Williams model.

Which was made back into a Capcom one and sold.

No idea what cabinet it was in, whitewood playfield with some art work. Lyman started working on programming. I'm assuming a mix of Capcom plastics and some things like tube dancer, and Williams parts for basics like flippers, slingshots and pop bumpers.

Only thing left is the bare playfield.

Would have come out after Cactus Canyon but P2K went into production sooner.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In 1996, BBB prototypes were presented at the Pinball Expo show in Chicago. It was Capcoms latest game and was planned to go into production shortly afterwards. For many visitors of this show, Big Bang Bar was the best new game shown (remember this was at a time that other manufacturers like Williams still made pinball machines, all new models were introduced to the public at this show).
Big Bang Bar was unique and raised the bar on many levels: it was certainly Capcoms best machine ever. Quality of sounds and artwork is excellent, dmd animations are great, the playfield has great flow, there's humor in the gameplay and its sounds. Everything in the whole theme fits together.

Capcom's pinball division closed shortly before Expo. It was *never* intended for BBB to ever see the light of day by the viewing public. All 13 machines were to either be sold or destroyed.

Everyone can thank designer Rob Morrison for literally begging Capcom to bring them to the 1996 Pinball Expo.

The rest is history....

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Capcom's pinball division closed shortly before Expo...

Capcom's pinball division was closed on December 9, 1996
https://groups.google.com/forum/#msg/rec.games.pinball/9GCiOtGqews/JVQSwWi6TqcJ
Expo was a month before this...
steve SDTM

#372 6 years ago

and who would have thought that a bathroom tampon dispenser could start and investigation to close an entire pinball division? But damn, if I wouldn't have wanted to work there while it was on.

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

Capcom's pinball division was closed on December 9, 1996
https://groups.google.com/forum/#msg/rec.games.pinball/9GCiOtGqews/JVQSwWi6TqcJ
Expo was a month before this...
steve SDTM

Not true.

Capcom closed it's pinball division before the 1996 Expo.

It was not made *public* until December.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside