(Topic ID: 72572)

Will arcade cabs become the next pinball?

By Dommer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dantebean
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tekken-466.JPG
    20130907_184543.jpg
    20130907_184430.jpg
    atomiswave.jpg
    image-334.jpg
    image-678.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tronguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

I am almost exclusively a video game guy, but I love pinball and typically have 1 in the collection.
    Somewhere around 2007-2008 a ms. pac could fetch $800+ pretty easily unrestored. Now most guys consider it a $200-$350 game. yes there were about 50,000 of them made.

Some games do hold much higher value. Color vectors, hard to find titles, now production runs, or just super fund games, like zookeeper.

I sold my kozmik krooz'r at CAX last year for over $3000, and discs of tron (upright version) has been selling for $3000-$4000 lately when it has typically been a $800-$1500 game. Atariscott over on klov (not sure if he visits here or not) has a prototype paperboy that he is asking $9500 for, (and will likely get somewhere close to it).

But generally, arcade games don't go for very much. Not even close to pins. And yeah the 60 in 1 barrage has lowered to value of standard high-run popular titles.

#13 10 years ago

This list is 5 years old. Some of that list is worth less, some more. A dedicated splat could get 10k+ now.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I can't think of a single game that isn't replicable on a MAME system (cept maybe the star wars vector or paperboy), and even then someone could replicate the analog input with some time.
    Bout the only cab I'd want for the artwork alone is Tron, but it would also suck up space (and all monitors eventually die).

No, (respectfully) you are waaaaaaaaaaaaay off. Almost no games can be replicated correctly on mame.

Pac man sure.

Almost every game I like has very unique controllers. Tron, wacko, kozmik krooz'r, many more. Most of these games have an audio amplifier or some unique sound board that is "necessary" , to enjoy a classic properly.

Now I realize who my audience is here.

Sounds like you'd enjoy a mame cab or 60 in 1, but no classic gamer would. (Concerning authenticity)

#16 10 years ago

And all monitors (virtually) can be rebuilt very easily.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

I just sold my Tron,Budweiser Tapper,Cloak & Dagger,& Berzerk. All vids I thought I'd take to the grave. All just to add funds to the next NIB pin of my choice. Sometimes I wonder if I've made a bad decision. Oh well,too late now,bring on Iron Maiden!!!

All of those games are easily attainable again if you "need" to get them. (Except c&d). It is a great choice if you will have fun with the new pin!

I am dumping a couple machines to try to fund a tron pro purchase.

#21 10 years ago

I do not know what the pinside community's opinion is of these virtual pins or hyper pins?

That is like playing a classic on mame. Same authenticity. Personally I think they are stupid.

#44 10 years ago

Again, almost nothing plays correctly/authentically on mame. Those who say otherwise simply do not know anything about the subject. And this is a pin forum, with guys that are likely to have mame cabs and zero dedicated classics.
    I understand. .

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

Yeah, I wish I had known about it. My wife is currently working in Crescent City, so it wouldn't have been bad for me to be able to drive to you and get it. Oh well.
    By the way, I would love an Ice Cold Beer as well. Let me know when your thinking of selling that

What work is there to do in Crescent City (I joke) I am a humboldt guy and cruise through Crescent twice at least every year.

I understand that Mame cabs have a place, and have value.

You can't play a vector game on there
    You can't play a medium resolution game on there
    You think it's the same code, but it isn't always, and the way it is displayed (even on an arcade monitor) without proper sounds, controls, angle of control panel (I could go on) It isn't the same.
    Now my buddy over in reno (member on here as well) bought like 15 different actual arcade control panels from parted games and did it that way. I imagine that would be a fun way to play some of these. (spy hunter, tron, etc.)

#67 10 years ago

For the record I like playing plenty of games on a 60 in 1 when I build it. Close enough for me on games like dig dug, pac man, and many many others.

Not close enough on donkey kong, congo bongo, and many others.

#74 10 years ago

glad you got it! that is awesome

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tronguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-arcade-cabs-become-the-next-pinball?tu=tronguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.