(Topic ID: 72572)

Will arcade cabs become the next pinball?

By Dommer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dantebean
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tekken-466.JPG
    20130907_184543.jpg
    20130907_184430.jpg
    atomiswave.jpg
    image-334.jpg
    image-678.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

If I were going to ever buy two arcade games, these would be the two. Both are excellent. 720 is amazing, you can have games on it that last forever once you get good at it.

I want the world record but unfortunately it was done on the wacky code version. My goal is to get all golds on expert, have came very close already. Although I am a bit slower then I was young I can still whip it 1000 point landings pretty early on in the game.

How do I know about the wacky code issue my childhood arcade had this version and some of the manhole springs on the sidewalk would launch you way into the air allowing big points very early in game. This was later revised and my current has the new code.

Back on topic, sorry for thread jack I just thought since you were talking about odd controllers these two games were worth showing. My main concern with future of arcade game is monitors. Most are very old and they are stopping production on crts. Thankfully there are a ton out there so this may be many years down the road they sort of dry up. Cap kits will always be available it seems.

My next hunt a dedicated dragons lair (original cabinet) playing the multi laser emulator off a PC. I have little desire to use a laser disc at all.

#52 10 years ago

Dedicated cabinets are dead!!!!

There are a few exceptions of course.....

#53 10 years ago

I've got some mint dedicated cabs, I think they are cool.

Gauntlet II
    Space Duel
    Battle Zone
    Stargate
    Computer Space (not mint, but cool )

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

I just sold it to a guy in Redding for $1K. Hatted to see it go,but it was just rotting away in my storage unit. I do still have my Ice Cold Beer in my game room

Yeah, I wish I had known about it. My wife is currently working in Crescent City, so it wouldn't have been bad for me to be able to drive to you and get it. Oh well.

By the way, I would love an Ice Cold Beer as well. Let me know when your thinking of selling that

#55 10 years ago

I have a 720 but I need to have it restored. I wonder what someone would charge locally?

#56 10 years ago

I only have room for one dedicated cab anymore, I like having more pinballs personally. The one I have to keep is my Tekken cab with Tekken 3 in it, my favorite fighting game and I love the way the big cabs look. The virtual pinball stuff does nothing for me anymore though, there's nothing that can totally recreate a pinball virtually that comes close to the feel of the real thing.// Error: Image 161960 not found //

tekken-466.JPGtekken-466.JPG
    #57 10 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

My favorite arcade game 720. Just completed mini restore. All new joystick parts and plays about as close to new as I have ever felt. This was one you can't replicate without the controller. Oh and it was lonely without Paperboy (waiting on grips).

So jealous! those are my top two arcade games of all time!

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Add me as another 720 fan! That and Toobin would be the 2 arcade games I would like to own.

I have a Toobin'. I have Killer Instinct 2, Mortal Kombat 3, Galaga, Tron, Shootout, Mad Dog McCree II and Gladiator too. Don't have a MAME cab, never will. Experience isn't the same and that is what I care about most. That said, arcade games are past their boom. MAME killed them. Many people just want to play the game and they have the mentality, why not have 60-100-200 games in one cab as opposed to multiple cabinets. That's not me. If I can't have the game like I remember it, I would rather just not have it.

The reason pins are expensive is that they can't be emulated perfectly. The Williams Hall of Fame games are good, but the physics are off. It isn't the same as playing a real pin where things can happen differently because it is a physical ball on a playfield and not sprites on a screen.

#59 10 years ago

i despised the Gauntlet II cabinet , especially compared to the first one.

Quoted from nighttaco:

I like having more pinballs personally.

that is a Knockout FT by the way!!!!!

Quoted from LesManley:

Many people just want to play the game and they have the mentality, why not have 60-100-200 games in one cab as opposed to multiple cabinets. That's not me. If I can't have the game like I remember it, I would rather just not have it.

I thought the same way for a long time, but eventually built something that i am content with. Yes if i had it my way I would have 200 Arcade games and 200 Pinball tables in my mancave. Not enough space and money for that dream at the moment. But if that day comes the whole Pinside will be invited over.

Got a video game question for you all. Does anyone remember the game Wall Street? I have it on MAME, I never remember seeing it in the arcade, did anyone actually play this game?

#60 10 years ago

I think the only dedicated cab I would buy is Cheyenne - loved that game back when.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

i despised the Gauntlet II cabinet , especially compared to the first one.

Really? I always liked it better.

#62 10 years ago

I've gone back and forth with dedicated versus mame/multi-boards. I currently own a pac-man cabaret with a 60-1, and KI1, KI2, NBA Jam, 4 slot Neo Geo, and Shinobi. I have several more jamma boards I can always change out. The nice thing about the neo geo system is that it makes it very easy to switch out games. Now that I've got into pins they don't get played as much but it is hard to give them up. I'm afraid I will never get the same collection again.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

Yeah, I wish I had known about it. My wife is currently working in Crescent City, so it wouldn't have been bad for me to be able to drive to you and get it. Oh well.
    By the way, I would love an Ice Cold Beer as well. Let me know when your thinking of selling that

What work is there to do in Crescent City (I joke) I am a humboldt guy and cruise through Crescent twice at least every year.

I understand that Mame cabs have a place, and have value.

You can't play a vector game on there
    You can't play a medium resolution game on there
    You think it's the same code, but it isn't always, and the way it is displayed (even on an arcade monitor) without proper sounds, controls, angle of control panel (I could go on) It isn't the same.
    Now my buddy over in reno (member on here as well) bought like 15 different actual arcade control panels from parted games and did it that way. I imagine that would be a fun way to play some of these. (spy hunter, tron, etc.)

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Add me as another 720 fan! That and Toobin would be the 2 arcade games I would like to own.

I have a 720 that is going under restoration - for sale. Looking after Christmas when I finally get around to it

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

What work is there to do in Crescent City (I joke) I am a humboldt guy and cruise through Crescent twice at least every year.
    I understand that Mame cabs have a place, and have value.
    You can't play a vector game on there
    You can't play a medium resolution game on there
    You think it's the same code, but it isn't always, and the way it is displayed (even on an arcade monitor) without proper sounds, controls, angle of control panel (I could go on) It isn't the same.
    Now my buddy over in reno (member on here as well) bought like 15 different actual arcade control panels from parted games and did it that way. I imagine that would be a fun way to play some of these. (spy hunter, tron, etc.)

not necessarily true.

mame machines work perfectly if
    * you build a proper computer with lightweight OS
    * you have the right controls
    * you use an output of 15khz
    * you use a proper std res monitor
    * you know what you are doing with the mame settings

It takes years to get it right... but once it is, it's perfect for all games with standard controls --- up until about 2001 era machines. Midway games of 99 and newer still glitch unless you are running a power house.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Really? I always liked it better.

it could be that i think they had 2 player and 4 player versions and they never seemed to be original...
    I think the control panel overlay might have been nicer on 2......edit (my memory is foggy on this but i think they were some conversions going on back then so i must have come across a bunch of Gauntlet 2 that weren't stock)

I was a sucker for the original since i played it a TON at the local comic book store. i absolutely love the side art, still to this day

#67 10 years ago

For the record I like playing plenty of games on a 60 in 1 when I build it. Close enough for me on games like dig dug, pac man, and many many others.

Not close enough on donkey kong, congo bongo, and many others.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

I have a 720 that is going under restoration - for sale. Looking after Christmas when I finally get around to it

Depending on price, keep me in mind! Shipping costs to ca may kill it though.

#70 10 years ago

I think the newer Japanese stuff (candy cabs) and more obscure, later JAMMA PCBs (games made by Cave) will hold value.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Depending on price, keep me in mind! Shipping costs to ca may kill it though.

Yeah the game weighs about 800 lbs at least it seems.

#72 10 years ago

The core collectible video games are, and always have been, limited to early 80's games with a combination of interesting artwork, cabinet design, unique controls, and, most importantly, great game play. This is especially true for vector games, where emulation is not as good as having the original game, and like vector monitors, 19" tubes have gone out of production which puts a premium on burn-free tubes in both categories. Flat screens just don't cut it. As I understand, prices have risen a bit lately for all original games, higher than they were, say, 5 years ago, and they do take less space than a pinball machine.

#73 10 years ago

i just picked up this dedicated cab today (no MAME for this) --> http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-things-tron-tron-tron-pin-edot-arcade-etc…

#74 10 years ago

glad you got it! that is awesome

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

glad you got it! that is awesome

this has been y-e--a---r----s in waiting
    need to fix the monitor, first thing.

#76 10 years ago

I prefer OEM cabinets myself over MAME, but I also don't see them attracting the prices that pinball's are.

#77 10 years ago

I started as an arcade collector but once I got into pinball that pretty much stopped. I sold most of them, except for a few I have nostalgic attachment to - but I'm thinking if even more of them can go. I just don't play them anymore...a few are flakey/broken I KNOW I'll never fix them...lol. At the end of the day, once the nostalgia/collector fever broke, I realized I can play pretty much any of these games on my consoles/computer/phone and it's pretty much the same thing. Sure you can say they only play perfectly when original - but I realized i wasn't playing these games to PLAY anymore...I just liked to experience the nostalgia. I can get that with emulation. I get the feeling that many others start to feel the same way - and for the casual person who just wants one upright arcade game in their house - MAME is fine.

As for pinball ...pinball is only pinball when it's physical - so I think the allure of having a real one will always be more enticing to people than having a dedicated vid.

#78 10 years ago

I've got Tron but that's it. Would consider EDOT if I ever had the space. That being said I don't see much value in video games. From a collector standpoint I see pins as "Cadillacs" and vids as "Chevettes"

#79 10 years ago

Dude! Nice games!

Quoted from Sarge:

I ve dumped almost all of my pins for more vids... I guess Im doing it wrong
    For me I love the original artwork/cabs and the gameplay does not compare on most emulated boards.
    Im very fortunate to have a few pinsiders near me that are very gracious with sharing their collections, so I tend to stick to the vids.

20130907_184430.jpg 116 KB

20130907_184543.jpg 119 KB

#80 10 years ago

Ranch, show your games?

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-arcade-cabs-become-the-next-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.