image-713.jpg
image-955.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Stay tuned....

#2 11 years ago

Love is pushing it.

It is not a bad game. Not great either.

#3 11 years ago

One of my keeper games along with Pool Sharks and I have owned 61 machines in 20+ years. Tweeked out, it's alot of fun. Great for competing against your buddies. 3 or 4 of us get together on Tuesdays and Thursdays for friendly competition and a few beers. I love it. Fight the Road King!
Bob

#4 11 years ago

what's not to love?

oh, right, it's not twilight zone or the shadow. carry on...

#5 11 years ago

Any secrets to big scores? I owned one up until two weeks ago and my best was like 3.5 million, I found the game tough to do well on.

#6 11 years ago

I just sold mine a couple of weeks ago. Was considered a "flipper" when I got it. But, ya know, I kinda liked it. Like beepnutz said above, it's got to be dialed in to play well. Right outlane is a killer though. Didn't care for the music but gameplay was not too bad.

Mike.

#7 11 years ago

3.5 would be a good score, normal about 1 - 3 mil on mine and about 6 mil to get your name up. You have to fight the Road King and make as many shots as possible under the right ramp during 2 ball for high scores. Right outlane is a killer, gotta do some nudging. Mark Ritchie design, I like most all his games as much as his brothers.
Bob

#8 11 years ago

I like Road Kings...it was the 3rd game I bought...still own it. It is fun and fast...I can't really say love...I reserve that word for my true faves (like Bad Cats!! )...but it is a good fun game!!

Phoebe

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

3.5 would be a good score, normal about 1 - 3 mil on mine and about 6 mil to get your name up. You have to fight the Road King and make as many shots as possible under the right ramp during 2 ball for high scores. Right outlane is a killer, gotta do some nudging. Mark Ritchie design, I like most all his games as much as his brothers.
Bob

That is pretty much how I played it. I tried to maximize my bonuses as well, love the four rollover locations, kinda like a modern Stern. I am a huge Mark Ritchie fan, although this one feels different than his other designs.

Bob (or someone else), would you be able to snap a quick pic of the flasher board under the playfield with the resistors on it for the left lightning bolt? I replaced the resistors with what I thought was correct values from the online manual, but it was a little hard to read. I know they tend to run hot, but these feel a lot hotter than the right lightning bolt.

#10 11 years ago

I enjoy mine.

#11 11 years ago

I owned one for about 6 months and enjoyed it. I had it setup at a show during that time and it was well received. Many people liked it. It has a lot going for it but it got tired after a while. Ended up selling and adding some cash to buy a whirlwind.

#12 11 years ago

I enjoyed it too, and only sold it as I had too many at one point. I still wish I kept it. It's more of a classic back in he day machine than most people think. Many people remember it.

It like the timed MB. Not much depth, but given the time, par for the course. I liked the music, not sure why, it seems like it should be annoying.

I don't know why I liked this machine when thinking about it, but I did, and would own it again.

#13 11 years ago

I played a couple rounds on one.. Thought it was fun, condition was rough otherwise i wouldve owned it.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

One of my keeper games along with Pool Sharks and I have owned 61 machines in 20+ years. Tweeked out, it's alot of fun. Great for competing against your buddies. 3 or 4 of us get together on Tuesdays and Thursdays for friendly competition and a few beers. I love it. Fight the Road King!
Bob

Well, Bob, since you were first to profess some love and own the game, if you're interested, I have two of the red pop caps with white logos which were only made for RK I believe. Drop me a PM with your address if you want them, and I'll drop them in the mail, free friday style.

#15 11 years ago

I have one right now, wouldn't say love it but it is a lot of fun once you figure the game play out. Challenging to hit as much as you can when fighting the "road kings", time lock gives you some good points!

The right outlane is a killer, but you can move the post on the shooter gate and that helps immensely. If its in the wrong spot, it almost always goes down there when the left lock ejects the ball.

The kids really enjoy it and we play as a family often.

#16 11 years ago

Love it, the only reason its not as popular as other sys 11s is because you cant find any. Gl is another one. Excellent game. Rare games that a lot of people havent played in person.

I busted the main drop target the other day. If anyones got an extra shoot me a pm/price. Cant find em anywhere. Just need the plastic, not the assem. Sucker broke in half.

#17 11 years ago

Mine's in the queue waiting to be shopped. Looks cool with the motorcycle apocalypse theme. But that center ramp shot with the diverter probably slows it down a bit so don't know if I will wind up "loving" it.

viperrwk

#18 11 years ago

I still miss mine, was one of the first games we bought. Some pics of it even appeared in one of Marco Rossignoli's books.
Not the deepest game but it wasn't bad, just plunge around. I liked the music, sound effects and lightshow..

#19 11 years ago

Thanks robertmee, I just sent the info to ralphwiggum that he requested and discovered one of my ceramic resistors was broken in the same spot he mentioned. I had a spare and replaced it. Played a couple games, love it.
thanks again for the caps, Bob

I believe I replaced my drop target with a similar one that was not as wide on top and it works just fine. Been awhile, not sure where I ordered it from.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Thanks robertmee, I just sent the info to ralphwiggum that he requested and discovered one of my ceramic resistors was broken in the same spot he mentioned.

Thanks again!

Seems pretty common for these resistors to get nice and toasty and work themselves from the board...

1 week later
#21 11 years ago

+1 for robertmee........I received my pop caps in the mail today, probably the best Christmas present I'll get.
Happy Holidays to all, Bob

#22 11 years ago

Love might be a strong word, but I definitely dig it. The only reason I sold the one I had was that it was pretty beat and figured I would wait for nicer one to come along. I will have one again some day!

Rob

#23 11 years ago

I really like the layout, but think the rules are a bit shallow, though that's only natural because it's an early system 11.
There's some really nice things though, especially during multiball:
- fase one: time locks (I really like those!)
- after that: shooting full loops under the right ramp

Besides multiball, there are some things to do, but not really much. Mostly getting bonus-multiplier high, relighting kickback and scoring with detours.

Because I liked the layout and thought the rules could be a bit deeper, I started working on the game with own rules with the P-ROC (and some hardware-modifications to get that to work on a system11 game plus getting a DMD and a 3th ball in it for 3-ball-multiball). I think there's quite some variety in shots to achieve by using the ramp-up and both gates at the pop-bumpers.
I really liked my own game with missions and modes, but it wasn't really finished sound- and DMD-wise. A friend of mine 'restarted' the project, but I'll leave it to him to say something about it or not (I can just tell that I'm glad that he did!).

1 year later
#24 10 years ago

My first pin....I am enjoying it. Fought the Road Kings tonight and got the time lock for the first time! That was exciting! Will have it shopped out when I get some extra play money to really dial it in. It's in good enough shape, that I may just fully restore it....

#25 10 years ago

Cut to the chase.

#26 10 years ago

Holly cow!!! How'd I miss that.

4 months later
#27 9 years ago

My 1st....little beat...plays great...I LOVE IT.. ......Joey

#28 9 years ago

image-713.jpgimage-713.jpg[attachmenimage-955.jpgimage-955.jpgt=0,262135 caption=""]

image-609.jpgimage-609.jpg

#29 9 years ago

I use to play RK as a teenager and this game is so 80's I love it. Takes me back to the glory days of arcades.

5 years later
#30 3 years ago

I love my Road Kings!

Would love to try to get the 2.0 DMD mod or if someone could even make a simple chip mod to make a 3ball multiball... it does have 3 locks!!!

#31 3 years ago

Road Kings is a good time. Phenomenal sounds and music, and a challenging layout with some cool, oddball kinetic action like going back down the shooter lane from the top eject, or straight into the kickback from the left ramp exit. Played it in high school at a place that also had Taxi, they were the first two System 11 games I ever played.

#32 3 years ago

Owned a few of them and enjoyed it. Sounds and music were pretty good.

#33 3 years ago

I like every pin. Just in different levels of degrees

#34 3 years ago

Road Kings is awesome. Set to “hard” difficulty it becomes very challenging, and you cant beat the sweet 80s synth music. I like it better than some of the other system 11s that are more popular. Id rather fight the Road Kings than drive a Taxi!

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Id rather fight the Road Kings than drive a Taxi!

Guess I had better keep my eyes open for one. Never met a system 11 I didn't like and yes, I have owned a Millionaire.

#36 3 years ago

I will. Love it.

#37 3 years ago

I’ve always thought the little ninja star diverter was a really clever inexpensive mech.

Love the silver foil apron.

Lots of
Cool recycled high speed sounds.

#38 3 years ago

Road Kings is in my lineup and out of my 19 machines it ends up getting a lot of attention from guests and my guess would be because gameplay and playfield layout is easy to understand. Sound and lighting also keep interest for those new or unfamiliar to pinball. Solid game all around!

#39 3 years ago

I have been playing mine quite a bit. Finally got it up and running and enjoying it so far. The right outlane is a drain monster.

#40 3 years ago

Love Road Kings! My first pinball purchase about 7 years ago. It ended up going to rotordave to help him complete his System 11 collection....sure would love to get to his place and play it again someday!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Love Road Kings! My first pinball purchase about 7 years ago. It ended up going to rotordave to help him complete his System 11 collection....sure would love to get to his place and play it again someday!

I would love to see all the System 11s together. Millionaire and Transporter are the only two I've never played.

#42 3 years ago

Miss my Road Kings! You’ll be back, Jack...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-anyone-admit-to-loving-road-kings?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.