Will AFM & MMR lose there luster

By hoby1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

With all the remake coming out with these games lose some of their luster.

Both are fantastic games like all the remakes that will come out, I feel that eventually those titles will lose some of there curb appeal with certain collectiors

Not me as I’m in on all of them to have perfect examples.

Thoughts ?

#2 6 years ago

I love my MMR. It's situated right next to my $10K BM66 and simply blows its flippers off, not even a contest. So, I don't think they'll lose much luster over time, there's a reason why they were considered two of the greatest games ever in the various top 100 lists.

#3 6 years ago

Yeah, probably... they might even be considered poseur games by the super high end collectors. But do you have an MM in your house? Yes. Yes you do.

#4 6 years ago

Nah, these games are legit great. AFM is probably the perfect pinball machine, and even if it was so widely available that you saw it everywhere, it would remain just as great. MM isn't too far behind.

I do remember a time around 10 years ago when people were posting pictures of their lineups that having a really nice MM or AFM was kinda special. That "wow, you have a MM!" factor will be gone, but if people were only collecting for status, well, screw 'em. I'm happy these games are easily available for collectors who want them now.

#5 6 years ago

MM and AFM are super fun games which is one of the reasons they are considered all-time classics. It wouldn't surprise me if CGC continues to raise the bar with newer enhancements on future titles. But there is a reason they chose these two games as their first releases. I'm just thankful more people now have the opportunity to own and play these machines. I think it's good for the hobby and might help to get more people interested in pinball.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

MM and AFM are super fun games which is one of the reasons they are considered all-time classics. It wouldn't surprise me if CGC continues to raise the bar with newer enhancements on future titles. But there is a reason they chose these two games as their first releases. I'm just thankful more people now have the opportunity to own and play these machines. I think it's good for the hobby and might help to get more people interested in pinball.

Exactly. More MMs out there = more people falling in love with pinball.

And if any snobs knock mine for being a remake they can screw off.

#7 6 years ago

These have been considered top games for 25+ years, I think they are classics! I don't see them losing their appeal, but instead be re-invigorated

#8 6 years ago

I doubt it. They'll have their own following just like the originals.

LTG : )

#9 6 years ago

I own both and I can tell you AFMR is just so good I've forgotten about my other pins

#10 6 years ago

I had a perfect HUO AFM that I sold years ago when $$$$ was high. Will be buying a classic remake soon again

#11 6 years ago

Lose their luster? Hello no! I find myself keeping coming back to MMR .. got to the fifth castle, almost there!!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

These have been considered top games for 25+ years, I think they are classics! I don't see them losing their appeal, but instead be re-invigorated

Well, 20+ years anyway.

#13 6 years ago

When they have been out of production for a couple of years, and suddenly people discover that repairing them is very difficult because of the surface mounted parts, and the boards are hard to find, then yes, I expect the value of the reproduction games to go down.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

When they have been out of production for a couple of years, and suddenly people discover that repairing them is very difficult because of the surface mounted parts, and the boards are hard to find, then yes, I expect the value of the reproduction games to go down.

Thankfully in the years to come, those twenty plus year old Williams boards won't be any older or harder to get parts for. Things like IC's and audio amps ( oh wait, audio amps are NLA already ) will never be obsolete.

Surface mounted parts are the wave of the future. Just a new thing to learn if you want to. And not everything on these boards are surface mounted.

LTG : )

#15 6 years ago

I've delayed posting on this subject. I was lucky to buy both NIB in the 90's--- yes there were lots of collectors then and RGP was lit up with positive reports by the best players. I was totally infatuated with AFM for months and recall a popular sitcom episode based on an infatuated AFM loser like me. Elwin said at some point that AFM was the best game ever and Trent said the same to me in his barn a few years ago. Interestingly, E beat A on both games in the finals in Phoenix and Las Vegas in '96 and'97.These were the last expos I went to until 2014 when the redoes were announced. When I joined Pinside, these games had inflated prices and I thought "what a shame they weren't more available." I thought MMr at Expo each year played really slow and did not make the case for it's greatness. I was just blown away (especially my rods and cones in my old eyes!) recently by AFMrLE at Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor (my old domain.) It made me a believer in improving these classics, and now I may buy improved versions of CCRevisited and Monster Bash or Scared Stiff. Or Centaur or ........

#16 6 years ago

Was there luster there to begin with?

#17 6 years ago

They were certainly great games and I enjoyed owning them but the key word here is "were" for me they lost their luster a long time ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-afm-mmr-lose-there-luster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.