(Topic ID: 46411)

Will a pin fit in a Toyota matrix or ford Flex?

By Eskaybee

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by AZDbacker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Anyone have experiences transporting a pin with a Toyota matrix hatchback or ford flex?

I own a 2012 matrix. I'm almost positive a pin won't fit in, but thinking about trying to fit one of mine in as a test. But figured I'd ask here first.

My alternative is asking my buddy to swap vehicles for the day but a little reluctant to ask that favor of putting 700 miles on his vehicle for a pinball (some people don't get our disease lol). He has a 2012 ford flex.

I'm pretty sure the flex is the way to go. Just wanted to hear opinions/thoughts/experiences.

Thanks
    Steve

#2 10 years ago

Flex works fine. The little hump in the middle is a bit of a pain but it works just fine. Cant comment on matrix.

#3 10 years ago

I own a Ford Flex and with a piece of cardboard or a blanket down first...the hump is not an issue. Easy to set in and lift out. Highly recommended.

#4 10 years ago

I have a 2006 Pontiac Vibe, which is a Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac logo on it. The top edges of the opening are too rounded, and we couldn't fit our Frankenstein in by 1/2 inch on the side with the top folded. Having the head off would have worked just fine, but I don't know how to/want to behead a pinball. I don't know if the 2012 model hatch opening is any different or not.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the comments and heads up on the bump with the flex.

@blondtail, thanks! I used a measuring tape to take some dimensions and came 3/4" shy for that same reason! Lol doesn't Toyota know how to engineer their hatchbacks for pin transportations!?!

#6 10 years ago

Believe me, I was pissed off. I measured it, got the car backed up, the legs off, the pin mostly in, then.... sudden stop. I have hauled sofas, 2 lounge chairs at once, console tables, 82" TVs, Christmas trees, etc. I was FOR SURE a pin would fit, but no. Not that I plan on getting rid of my Vibe for awhile, but next car will be pre-tested for pin hauling capabilities.

#7 10 years ago

Hmm, I was hanging with some pinheads the other night and one mentioned that he can put pins in his Matrix. What I would do is find the exact measurements of the machine you want with head down (most with head folded down will fit through a 30"x30" space, but in a game of inches the more exact you can get the better) and make a piece of cardboard the size of width/height. Then try and pass it straight all the way back through your trunk opening, between the wheel humps etc.

Edit: The Vibe isn't an exact clone, they're built on the same platform but they have their own sheet metal. So where it's rounded and too tight may not hold true for the Matrix.

#8 10 years ago

Matrix won't fit. I buzzed down in mine to pick-up my very first pin and what an embarassment that it wouldn't fit!!!

The top of the Matrix is curved, if it was straight across in a direct line, it would go in, the wheel wells aren't a factor, just the clearance on the top. If you take the head off, a pin will go, but I am also reluctant to do that.

(Luckily, a friend with a truck was home and didn't mind immediately hopping down to Annapolis to help me out!!!).

#9 10 years ago

I have been told by both Pontiac and Toyota salesmen that it is the exact same car, made in the Toyota plant and but with Pontiac decals and roof racks added to make the topline look different. I am by absolutely no means a car expert, but when Toyota was recalling brakes, I got a recall notice for my car too.

I think the much newer Matrix openings are different, but it's the curve that gets you! Nate chimed in as I was typing this. Nate, you're not the only one that was embarassed that a pin wouldn't fit. I was stupidly confident about it until it hit the sides. Oops.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

and one mentioned that he can put pins in his Matrix.

That was me.

I have a 2003 Matrix XRS and have successfully transported System 11's, WPC DMD era games, and even a RFM with very little trouble. The top arch opening is truly a battle of "millimeters" but, when you lift the thick weatherstripping up on/at the corners while you're sliding the game in it's no problem at all. (Ask RobT if you don't believe me... )
    Just have the game dead nuts center under the arch while loading.
    Once it's inside the vehicle you can then add the towel/cardboard/___ between the BB (since the inside roofline is taller) for the drive home.
    As for the newer Matrix Eskaybee, I think they reduced the size of the opening slightly when they switched body styles but, I could be wrong.

Try the WCS94 to see if it fits... Then drive it over to my place!

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

That was me.

Try the WCS94 to see if it fits... Then drive it over to my place!

That's what I was thinking of doing....well, everything except driving to your house. :Lol:
    But good news, a close friend of mine is looking for a road trip and so were gonna take his van. Problem solved.

Sorry Chris, xmen is going but taf shall return in its place

#13 10 years ago

Flex: all except Hercules. Matrix: All EM's and early SS; except Hercules.

#14 10 years ago

I've got a 2006 Matrix and have hauled EM's and early solid state widebody games (Embryon just fits). It has a clearance of 29.5" so modern Sterns and WPC won't fit without disconnecting the head and sliding it down toward the front. I'd rather not monkey with that, so just hook on the trailer on in those cases (and hope it's not raining).

8 months later
    #15 10 years ago
    Quoted from PromoJoe23:

I own a Ford Flex and with a piece of cardboard or a blanket down first...the hump is not an issue. Easy to set in and lift out. Highly recommended.

I have a 2013 flex and have moved about 5 pins so far. Both with fold down heads and taking the head off. The cardboard thing works great.

#16 10 years ago

I also had someone buy 2 pins from me and he rented a Uhaul van. A van, not a truck. Since it has no back seats and is made for cargo, he could have fit 3 or 4 pins in there SIDEWAYS. Way more roomy that I would have thought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-pin-fit-in-a-toyota-matrix-or-ford-flex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.