7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by girloveswaffles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

564918_10150709329734931_1456723553_n..jpg
    538427_10150709329229931_379234164_n.jpg
    2012_Soul.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I apologize in advance for this post. I can't believe I'm actually starting another "will a pin fit in a ____" post, but I can't find any hatch dimension specs on the Kia site. My wife really wants a Kia Soul, but it seems like it might not be big enough to haul a pin. Does anybody know?

#2 7 years ago

Short (no pun) answer, probably not. Or you at the least won't get the hatch down.

2012_Soul.jpg
    ^My 2012 Soul at PPE^
    Don't get me wrong, they're great cars, with lots of interior room, but the area behind the front seats to the tail is to short. Also, the area behind the back seats is lower than the back seats when they are down (although it is a nice storage area there. was almost able to lay down a 32" flat T.V. in the compartment).

#3 7 years ago

I have had 80's ballys, wpc and sega in my Soul. all fit but you may have to pull the passenger seat forward a notch. The wpc and the sega needed to have the head removed. Put it in first to the side and then the body by the side. The WPC and Sterns may fit with the backbox folded but I haven't tried it yet. I had a speakeasy in with just the head folded.
    Great little car. Funky pin mover and 50 mpg.

#4 7 years ago

and the proof...

538427_10150709329229931_379234164_n.jpg 564918_10150709329734931_1456723553_n..jpg

#5 7 years ago

Nice!

Don't be afraid to think outside the box...

#6 7 years ago

One thing I should mention is that the Soul either comes with a boot floor OR a cover over the seats. I had to make the floor from ply, reinforce the back with Aluminium struts and cover it with carpet. They would get one for me but it was £90, this cost me £10 to make!

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Someone sent me measurements and said that the depth is fine, but the hatch opening is only 28.5 inches high, so that explains why you'd have to take the head off - obviously not an issue with older games, but I'm not sure I want to go through that much hassle with WPC games. If only the height were just a few more inches!

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

Great little car. Funky pin mover and 50 mpg.

Might want to contact Kia for your annual gas card as part of being forced by the EPA to lower mpg ratings on the Soul by as much as 6mpg, and now the Soul tops out at 30mpg with the revised ratings. (I was looking at one because of the mileage, but now it looks a bit more pedestrian)

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-mo-autos-hyundai-fuel-economy-lawsuit-20121108,0,6023411.story

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheBaron:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Someone sent me measurements and said that the depth is fine, but the hatch opening is only 28.5 inches high, so that explains why you'd have to take the head off - obviously not an issue with older games, but I'm not sure I want to go through that much hassle with WPC games. If only the height were just a few more inches!

If you are talking 1/2"to possibly 1", you should be able to loosen the bolts attached to the bottom of the head, slide the head down (still attached) a few inches and then load it. Would save you the hassle of disconnecting every harness.

I had to do this in a pinch when I was loading three machines in my minivan once...

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Might want to contact Kia for your annual gas card as part of being forced by the EPA to lower mpg ratings on the Soul by as much as 6mpg, and now the Soul tops out at 30mpg with the revised ratings. (I was looking at one because of the mileage, but now it looks a bit more pedestrian)
    http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-mo-autos-hyundai-fuel-economy-lawsuit-20121108,0,6023411.story

Nope, I genuinely get 50 mpg out of my 1.6 CRDI. In fact what I save in fuel over my old Subaru pays for the car!

10 months later
    #11 6 years ago

I'm consideing getting a Soul also... I'm gonna have to call BS on the mileage though... On their best day drafting behind a truck I bet they don't get more than 40. If so you have one magic Kia. Having said that 40 would be nice in something that is that "big". I can't hardly believe that a pin fits in a Honda Fit as good...

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

I'm consideing getting a Soul also... I'm gonna have to call BS on the mileage though... On their best day drafting behind a truck I bet they don't get more than 40. If so you have one magic Kia. Having said that 40 would be nice in something that is that "big". I can't hardly believe that a pin fits in a Honda Fit as good...

Maybe he's talking Imperial Gallons? I agree, you aren't getting 50MPG, unless, maybe, when going around 40MPH.

#13 6 years ago

I think Epotech may have a diesel... just guessing. We only get petrol-powered variants in the States, though.

You can fit a pin in there, but a B/W DMD won't go in with the head attached.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I think Epotech may have a diesel... just guessing. We only get petrol-powered variants in the States, though.

agree, what i do is slide the head in front of the machine in my soul.
    i had a space invaders and haunted house in my soul (not at once).

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Ah, duh, yep that's the difference.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

I have a 2012 base model with automatic transmission. Best milage I ever got was 36.5 MPG driving from La Mirada CA to Kingman AZ (not long after I bought it). Usually, I average 31-32 MPG, but I do hit a lot of traffic in my drives. But on Road trips, it's not uncommon for me to get 33-35 MPG

#17 6 years ago

You have to remember, epotech lives in England. 50MPG over there is commonplace. They're smart enough there to have high compression, quiet running, extremely efficient diesel engines over there.

I still have no idea why people here in the states still have this stigma attached to diesel and don't want anything to do with it. It's a better fuel, running in better engines, and can blow the doors off anything gasoline for MPG. If MPG is your goal, small, direct-injected diesels are the way to go.

#18 6 years ago

Buy American!

#19 6 years ago

I have a 2011 Kia Soul with automatic and the highest that I have seen is 31 MPG. My average is about 24 -26. I do a lot of short distance driving. But it's good to know that I can fit a pin in.

#20 6 years ago

We just picked up a 2010 Soul+ 2.0L 5 speed. Tank #1 of driving around town was 26mpg. Looking forward to seeing what a longer highway only trip will get. Sure beats the 04 Trailblazer at 14-16mpg costing $75 per fill up...

#21 6 years ago

The 2.0 won't get as much MPG as the 1.6, but indeed way better than a trailblazer. I didn't know that diesel was an option in other countries....odd. With diesel gas and car prices being higher you really have to drive a lot to make it pay for the cost difference. Right now I think diesel is a buck more than unleaded. ($3.31 on my fill up today).

Hybrids are the same deal. A hybrid focus I think costs about 20... Yep... Friggan 20 thousand more than a base model.... At about 15k. You could buy 2 and have cash left over or 2 semi premium models. (not that a focus has much to do with pins). Been looking at some new cars lately and for possible pin hauling the Soul and Xb are considerations. Was also wondering if a pin would fit in a focus hatchback. I see another thread coming.

#22 6 years ago

The 2012 Souls came with the new GDi engines, and it's supposed to be an improvement on both performance and fuel economy. I've only driven two 2012's (including the one I own) so I can't compare it to the older ones from experience.

#23 6 years ago

2012 over here also has a 6 speed box. Remember, here auto is not the norm. Mine is 1.6 CRDI (commonrail diesel injection) 126HP. Honest 46-50MPG (UK Gallon), no real city driving into that which I guess would make it 38-42MPG.

Now, after extensive research on pinball fits:

Stern, head slid forward or machine on it's side
    WPC, head slid forward, tight getting in better with head off
    Sega, head off
    Classic Bally, fits head on but it's tight, you'll see the headlining compressing as you put it in, otherwise head off.

#24 6 years ago

But will a KIA Soul fit in a Hercules?

And what's with the funky capitalization of ILLinois on IPB's truck?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

And what's with the funky capitalization of ILLinois on IPB's truck?

Caps Lock For the win?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

2012 over here also has a 6 speed box. Remember, here auto is not the norm. Mine is 1.6 CRDI (commonrail diesel injection) 126HP. Honest 46-50MPG (UK Gallon), no real city driving into that which I guess would make it 38-42MPG.

US versions also come with 6 speed transmissions (I believe all Kia modes do now) but as far as I know, there isn't a diesel version for the U.S.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 26.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 109.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 33.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside